Creating fake fire walk for luau?

McKinney, TX(Zone 7b)

I'm trying to figure out how I can create a fake fire walk for a luau. It has to be fake since it'll be in the high school cafeteria (it's the banquet for our band program - last year the theme was Candyland). We'd like to have the kids walk on the "hot coals" as they go & get their awards.

I was thinking that some foam (1" thick or so) covered with a shiny fabric would work - with some string lights worked in too. Maybe with torn bits of foam glued on to it so it would be dimensional. My thoughts were that the foam would protect the lights. I'm open to suggestions... Thanks!

Edinburg, TX

Would spray painting charcoal brickets red, orange and yellow be too costly?

Am assuming if you tried to spray paint styronuts (styrofoam peanuts) they'd dissolve.

~ Cat

McKinney, TX(Zone 7b)

Cat, that would possibly work but it would be a huge mess to clean up. Whatever we do needs to be easy & quick set up and clean up. Plus, we were going suggest the kids walk barefoot. I'm having visions of coal footprints all over the floor of the cafeteria.

Sumner, WA(Zone 8a)

Round river rocks spraypainted oranges, yellows, reds

Colored oranges, yellows, reds cello and streamer papers crinkled and placed in a long box with low box-lip/edge

McKinney, TX(Zone 7b)

We ended up using bubble wrap (about 5 layers), a string of rope lights, 3 different "hot" colors of cellophane, topped with painted cotton balls. One of our band dads made a shallow box for it to sit in. We're keeping all the decorations for our next Luau. Here's the finished "firewalk".

Thumbnail by SandiTX
McKinney, TX(Zone 7b)

Here's the "fire pit" I made.

Thumbnail by SandiTX
McKinney, TX(Zone 7b)

Here's the Tiki Hut that one of the band dad's made.

Thumbnail by SandiTX
McKinney, TX(Zone 7b)

And our palm trees. Our tables are covered with contractors paper from Lowes & our confetti is shells, star fish & sand dollars.

Thumbnail by SandiTX
in Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Sandi ,
Congratulations!!!!!!!!
You did a fantastic job. I can see it took a lot of time and work.

Patti

McKinney, TX(Zone 7b)

Thanks, Patti. We had a lot of fun doing it. Luckily, we had lots of teenagers helping with the cutting, painting, etc. We were at the school every afternoon last week (until 5 pm each day). What was so amazing was the ease of everything coming down. What took us 5 hours to put up on Friday was dismantled in 15 minutes.

Starkville, MS

Sandi, I would hesitate to walk that "hot coals" trail! It really looks HOT! The fire pit looks lke it will be ready to roast hot dogs in about 30 minutes. You and your group did a fantastic job! Many pats on the back and atta boys/girls to all of you!
ginni

Loveland, CO(Zone 5b)

Yes, that all looks great! The fire walk ended up looking really good! :) I love your fire pit, too! :) Great job!

Sarah

Sumner, WA(Zone 8a)

The fire pit looks so realistic...wonderful! The other decorations are also great. It looks like a fun environment!

Fayetteville, NC(Zone 8a)

Really great job. Very original. I've done lots of decorations for big events, but never had to walk on coals. Thank goodness. I would have been lost.

Baytown, TX(Zone 9a)

Really great job! Bump this up to the front for anyone else looking for Spring fling ideas.........

Those "hot coals" look really hot!!!!! Y'all did a fantastic job!

Jeanne

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images