Painting Donation

Headland, AL(Zone 8a)

I am donating the painting below to the local botanical gardens for their annual auction. They are gong to frame it and hopefully someone will pay enugh moeny for it to make it worth their while. I love the botanical gardens, and Ipaint flowers...so it seemed like a no brainer to donate one of mypaitings for their auction. When I pulled Roadsidde Wildflowers out of my portfolio, I realized that, because it was one of my first pieces after I started apinting again, it needed some tweaking. It has to be taken to the framer tomorrow...so I had to get it done tonight. It turned out pretty good. It looks a lot beter than it did before I touched it up. I found the photo taht I painted the original piece from and it didn't have any leaves in it either! I had to look the plants up to see what the foliage should look like. LOL!

Thumbnail by BamaBelle
Pleasureville, KY(Zone 6a)

Beautiful, anyone would be nuts not to bid on that.

Headland, AL(Zone 8a)

Thanks a million! They have a print by a ntaionally reknowned artist that they are also auctioing, but as far as I know, mine is the only original piece. They are also have other sponsors like dinners, spa visits, etc.

Hillsdale, MI(Zone 5b)

You would see me jumping up and down arm in the air saying "me" "me "me" Lol I would buy it in a minute just beautiful. How wonderful to be so talented.

Headland, AL(Zone 8a)

Oh Gwarsh, (kicking toe in dirt) Now you done gone and made me blush! thank you!!!!!!

Houston, United States(Zone 9b)

LOL Bama. I have a somewhat similar style of painting, it's been called cartoonish by my art teachers. I LOVE LOVE LOVE when people can paint realistically but I just don't have the talent to paint like people and buildings. So when I paint I have crisp lines and flowers are easiest for me to do as well. Sure wish I could paint more and have excited customers as you've seen here!

I am sure with as fluent as you are Bama you could run an ad in the paper to have your own action couldn't you? Perhaps a church or school would host your auction for a small fee? It sure is neat when you know your artwork is getting out there in the public.

One time in high school we did this charity event, painted with acrylic on canvas aprons to sell. They were sold. I did one with large holstein cow prints on it and then painted a full holstein in the center. It sold up in Michigan where I lived and 6 months later my brother (5 years younger than I) said, "Oh Aimee....this lady called....she said something about she bought an apron and she really liked what you did....." OH MY GOSH! I was so happy but disappointed that he'd taken no contact info and she never called back. How thrilling that just from my name painted on the apron she would find me in the phone book!

Headland, AL(Zone 8a)

That is really neat! I can understand your frustration with your little brother. My husabnd has his own business and if I don't get all the info (including stuff I would never think to ask) he gets frustrated. But the other day when my son's bank called about a banking error they are trying to resolve for us, he ddi't take the info down nad had only a vague recollection as towhat the guy said. If I had taken a sloppy message like that he would have stormed around ehre for hours! LOL!

I can't paint people either....I did paint a house for the president of a company I worked for a few years ago. He had just been promoted to the position and his walls were blank, so I painted a pair of pictures of his ski chalet, then gave them to his wife to have framed. When I never saw them hanging in his office, I asked him what had happened to them...I mean they turned out really well, so I knew he wasn't too embarassed to hang them. Turned out his wife had declared they were too good for his office and stole them for their home! She didn't quite get it that his office looked really bare and he needed something on the walls. But about a year later we moved to a new building and he had an interior decorator do his office, so it worked out in the end. They had a really elegant home, plus the ski chalet in Breckenridge, so I was flattered that she stole them from him. And she was the one that had brought me the photos to paint the pictures from...I always wondered if she had planned to keep them from the start!

Headland, AL(Zone 8a)

I heard from the lady at the botanical gardens today. She was cleaning her gutters and fell and broke her leg and has been bedridden ever since so she was nto able to attend the auction. However, the folks who did go told her taht my painting created quite a bit of excitement. They had it framed in a white shabby chic frame and aparently it created quite a stir. The auction ended up raising $15,000. Wish I knew how much of that I contributed.... But it is good to know that the folks there thought it was nice enough that several people bid on it.

There is an art show coming up at the local art society, but it would cost me $25 to join the art society, then another $20 per painting to enter. Plus each piece would have to be framed. I think I'll hold off till next year when I have more paintings ready and enter the show at that time.

Rock Hill, SC(Zone 7b)

Loved the painting of poppies. That was very generous of you to donate it to the auction. If you are looking for places to display your work you should check with local salons. My brother had a salon in Denver CO and would display work from different artists. He would periodically change artists (I don't remember how often). He would usually have some kind of opening gathering that the artist would invite people to along with his clients. It was great for him and the artist. He gets new artwork to display and the artist gets exposure.

Bama,

Dying to know what your work went for! It was so cool you were a participant in the whole auction. How long did it take you to do this piece? When I was getting some paintings of mine framed for the first time I was in for sticker shock! The frames cost sooo much more than the actual materials it takes to DO a painting but I've found you can buy copies of artwork at craft stores and use the frames. I had an artist friend show me how she frames them herself....very professional looking.

Pinkpoodlegirl,

Love your name! Does your brother still do this in Denver? I long to find a place like that in SA, sure they must have them....I've seen small art stores....but it is hard to get your work out there without connections. I looked into the rent a booth craft mall places but they want quite a bit per month and it always disappoints me that they are also renting booths for non-homemade work....like "collectibles" and such. There is a place for these to but I think when you mix the two it detracts from the value of both.

Headland, AL(Zone 8a)

The auction was last week and I did not attend. Unfortunately, the lady who runs the botanical gardens had been cleaning her gutters a few days before the auction and fell and broke hr leg so bad she ahs been bedridden since, so she could nto go, either. However, she told me she had it framed in a white shabby chic frame and she ws told that it created quite a bit of excitement at the auction and was one of the hottest items. She did not know how much it sold for, though...

I don't remember how long it took me to paint it. I have had it in storage for three years at least and had considered farming it and using it for my guest room. But then I thought I'd donate a piee to the bot gardens and I sent pictures of the pieces she could select from and she thought this would be the best.

Sure is pretty. =)

Headland, AL(Zone 8a)

Thank you very much! I got an 'order' today from myu MIL to paint a picture to match the quilt I made her. My hubby told her it would be Christmas cause I have too much goign right now. Bless his heart! I know she wants it for Mother's Day.

If she wants it for Mother's Day that is just way too soon! LOL. So sweet that your hubby knows how busy you are and didn't instead commit you to doing a painting so fast. =)

You are just multi-talented! You can make quilts too!? You should open your own store!

Headland, AL(Zone 8a)

I just finished a quilt for my sis. It took me five years to make it because my MIL kept sidetracking me on projects for her. Still, it takes me a long time to make one because I do it all by hand. Hand piecing, hand quilting...and sometimes I do some hand emobroidery on it as well, as I did with my sisters quilt because some of the colors were too close, so I used a hand feather stitch to offset the difference. Here is the quilt I just finished for Rylaff. She is so anxious to get it on her bed, she is going to make a trip up here in the next couple of weeks. I don't blame her...she has waited five years for it! LOL!

Thumbnail by BamaBelle
Headland, AL(Zone 8a)

Here is a side view. One of the reasons it took so long to finish was because the border is made up of hundreds of double sided diamond and triangle shapes...each had to be hand pieced, then put on the quilt and stitched down. You can see one of the feather stitched 'squares' in this picture. That's my Siamese, Meezer, helping. BTW, ignore the room color, we haven't painted since we moved in and the previous owner had really bad taste....also the quilt will look bettter on her bed because it is smaller than my oversized King pillow top plush (when you have arthritis, you need a lot of room and a really soft bed!)

Thumbnail by BamaBelle
Rock Hill, SC(Zone 7b)

Alamo,

My brother passed away suddenly a year ago February. One of his friends has kept the salon open and she just an art opening a few weeks ago. I was a great success.

About the name, I have a blonde standard poodle who loves the water. She looks pink when she is wet. I have three boys so she is my only ribbons and bows outlet. LOL

Here is a pic with her and the boys.

Thumbnail by pinkpoodlegirl
Headland, AL(Zone 8a)

Standard poodles are so stunning.

Pink,

Sorry to hear about your brother~! I am glad for the art community he had good friends to keep the business going!

I can sure see how your poodle could look pink when wet! It is neat to see full sized poodles, so rare! Unusual as well that each son looks so very different from the others!

Bama,

Nice job on your quilts! They are a lot of work.

Rock Hill, SC(Zone 7b)

Alamo,

My brother had great friends. I have met some fabulous people that are like family. He was very artistic himself. He ran an art gallery/gift shop for a few years then it got to be too much running the salon and gallery so he sold the gallery

The oldest looked just like the youngest at the same age. The redhead looks exactly like his dad. People ask if the two little ones are related but they really do have the same parents. One with red curly hair and the other with blonde straight hair. LOL

I am a huge fan of standard poodles...no shedding, very smart, great with kids. My husband has allergies and he has never had a problem with Gracie (the dog). It took me 4 years to convince him we needed a poodle and now that we have her he wouldn't have anything else. He didn't want to be walking a fru fru dog. He grooms her and he does the pompoms on the ankles for me. She is my only girly outlet. lol

Headland, AL(Zone 8a)

My parents used to breed Pomeranians. I can't stand the high pitched yapping. The only dogs I have had were dogs with deep voices. I believe that if you are going to have a dog, you ought to at least have one who can scare away bad guys. I am planning to get a Bullmastiff this year. I used to work in a jewelry store and the owner had one that she brought to work since she and I were often alone in the store. They are a really neat breed of dog. They were bred for game wardens to stop poachers. They do not bite. They jump on the bad guy and hold him down till the authorities arrive.....and at 120lbs, they can hold a person down! When Jane's son was being harassed by a couple of drunken neighbors, Patches knocked the biggest bully down and held him there till the police arrived. They also do not bark unless they have darned good reason. In all the years I worked with this dog, I never heard him bark. He growled one time when a burglar who had robbed another local jewelry store came in to case our store (I called the police and told them the robbers were in the store and they would not come! Fortuantely, between the camera surveilance and the BIG dog, they decided to move on)....and he screamed one time when I stepped on his 'family jewels' with stilleto heels (it is hard to see where you are going when you are putting the jewelry into the safe at night...and dogs should not lie in front of the safe when you have your arms full of view obstructing cases!)....and he didn't even snap at me. When unpleasant customers would come in and I would win 'Rock Paper Scissors' and I'd go hide in the corner while the boss waited on the PITA, the dog would stand guard in front of me to protect me from whatever it was I was hiding from. Yep, I'm getting a bull mastiff.....

Bama,

Clap clap, thanks for the opinion no yapping dogs. LOL. I do think little dogs can be cute but since I only have the room for 1 I sure am with you about it needing to be useful as well as a companion! I need it to be a protector. My DH loves the bullmastiff but our place here, not being on any land really, just isn't my ideal place for one. I'd love to have a large breed like that and have a pair so they can have pups. For here we are looking at another large breed though the Chesapeake Bay Retreiver. Poms always tend to look different and be different sizes, even from the same litter, it's weird. The only boy Pom I ever met used to pee on his 2 front legs doing a hand stand and then the pee would drip down him....ew! He was sweet but not too bright. I think the only little dog I could ever handle is a chihuahua. They are so sweet and gentle. Course I only met a couple and one was NOT a barker at ALL! And she would walk ANYWHERE with you leashless and stay right by your side. I used to walk her in the cemetary behind us and she just LOVED to roam free. She would only bark at the time of day she started getting walks. She looked forward to it.

Code in our city says only 3 animals per house (regardless of your sq ft OR land???? odd to me) but since we have 2 cats prior to here we can only have 1 dog.....

Headland, AL(Zone 8a)

My old boss that had the mastiff lived in a condo. Bullmastiffs are very calm indoors...but they can be a handful outside. If yu have a dog park in your city, it would be doable because you could take the dog to the dogpark to run. But keeping a big dog cooped up all the time is not good.

Dad had a pom that used to stand on his hands to pee! Dad's dog was a better aim than the one you knew, though. He was able to pee and shoot it out away from himself so he didn't get himself all icky. I tell you though, when those fullfy dogs get an upset stomach it can really be bad. Dad used to have his hands full when a tummy virus would run through his kennels. He would only feed his dogs a special dog food because of the problem...

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images