Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Antiques and Collectibles: Old toys and artworks of gm

Communities > Forums > Antiques and Collectibles
bookmark
Forum: Antiques and CollectiblesReplies: 20, Views: 221
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

April 20, 2006
4:40 AM

Post #2204538

Things have stayed with us ever since they came to our family--- to become heirloom. Reason: we have not moved houses except only once in the last 95 years! So as I grew up, I became attached to such things and developed a fondness for art and collectibles. Here are some of them I'd like to share and I reckon they will be found interesting.

This one is an old bus, probably 80-90 years old. It may be of England as I have a picture postcard of that era showing a similar one. It had steps behind it, but I think it has broken off, like the open seats on top of the bus. I don't know if I broke them off when I was a kid!! The steering can turn the front wheels.

Dinu

Thumbnail by Dinu
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

April 20, 2006
4:43 AM

Post #2204541

This one is a car from the 1920s when a relative had gone to Japan for studies. So, his daughter when she became old [unmarried], she gave it to us some 40 years back. I remember playing with it for hours as its front wheels too can be turned sideways. It had lovely bulbs as headlamps which I clearly remember to have spoiled. I repent for it now. It's one of my favourites too.

Thumbnail by Dinu

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

April 20, 2006
4:45 AM

Post #2204546

This is part of a Charaka {spinning wheel}. IT had been lying in the attic and I thought I'd bring it out into the garden {ideas from DG!} to grow some little climbers. This must be a century old. I have cut off the longer portion of the stand for some work.Only the wheel remains here.

Thumbnail by Dinu

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

April 20, 2006
4:48 AM

Post #2204549

This is a model of a Concorde... manufactured by me! From Balsa wood used for aeromodelling. Had collected a few pieces from a friend who was in the Air Force. I could not get the snout properly shaped like the original, but overall, it had come off well. I made it 30 years back keeping a picture of the plane as my reference.

Thumbnail by Dinu

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

April 20, 2006
4:52 AM

Post #2204552

This is a lady's purse, approximately 7"x4". It was made by my aunt about 40 years back when this art was popular here. Made from little beads. She had made tens of other show-case items like these... chair, table, elephant, giraffe...

Thumbnail by Dinu

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

April 20, 2006
4:57 AM

Post #2204558

These are probably >100y old. They are "playing cards" of that era. Only a few were good and so have chosen to post here. Others had become bad - the paint had fallen off. This is called Ganjifa, a traditional art of painting with lacquer. There are also cards of these colours representing numbers with different designs. No idea how they were played. It was very popular those days, for sure. This art is still in vogue here. There may be only one artist or two practising it. But the cards are for its value sake and not for playing.

Thumbnail by Dinu

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

April 20, 2006
4:58 AM

Post #2204561

Same thing, smaller ones, different set.

Thumbnail by Dinu

lizh
N.C. Mts., NC
(Zone 6b)

April 20, 2006
10:44 AM

Post #2204731

Darn, I can't see any of the pictures.
Raggedyann
Lawrenceville, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 20, 2006
4:13 PM

Post #2205499

I love your idea of the spinning wheel. I saw one in a small garden at a little shop in the tourist section of Saint Augustine, FL last year.
You really have some neat, old things. Thanks for sharing your photos with us.

Susan
lizh
N.C. Mts., NC
(Zone 6b)

April 20, 2006
7:41 PM

Post #2206021

Now I can see them. I love the bus and car. Thank you for showing them.

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

April 21, 2006
5:51 AM

Post #2207647

This one is a brass elephant, another family heirloom. The art work is simply lovely.

Thumbnail by Dinu

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

April 21, 2006
5:52 AM

Post #2207649

And a horse. Good that the ears have been left out -- one has been broken :(

Thumbnail by Dinu

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

April 21, 2006
6:01 AM

Post #2207653

Had posted a pic of a different work of the same art some months ago. Here's another work of art done with rice in 1936, by my talented grandmother. The design is of a mythological bird called 'Ganduberunda'. For appeal, 'golden' threads are decorated. This is also the Royal Emblem of the Mysore Kings.

Thumbnail by Dinu

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

April 21, 2006
6:04 AM

Post #2207656

You may not beleive, this is made from Cardamom Peels (the centre one). The borders are decorated with plastic leaves and other buttons. This is our Indian National Emblem - The Ashoka Lion, as it is called. This work of art was also by my grandmother some 50 years back... more recent, compared to others.

Thumbnail by Dinu

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

April 25, 2009
2:21 PM

Post #6461063

That is the remnant of a full set of neat carriage I guess. When in good condition, how neat it would have been. It is in bad shape now. Just balanced it for picturing it. Otherwise, it will fall. The joints are all broken though the horses' legs are still strong and can run!!! LOL. They are of the Victorian era. This has no place in our new show case - a separate thread I've just started. Some of the above items too are kept in it.

Thumbnail by Dinu

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

August 28, 2011
11:12 PM

Post #8782319

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/London_General_Omnibus_Company
I bring up this thread again as I found this link today - on the first picture of this thread. I thought it was interesting to know about that motor company.

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

August 28, 2011
11:22 PM

Post #8782324

Latest picture.

Can someone tell to which exact period this belongs? I searched London Motor Omnibus Company on google.

This message was edited Aug 29, 2011 11:44 AM

Thumbnail by Dinu

Countrymom
Cuyahoga Falls, OH
(Zone 5a)

September 5, 2011
1:35 PM

Post #8794693

Wonderful collection ! I'm so glad you shared these !

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

September 6, 2011
11:35 PM

Post #8797062

http://mysoreanmusings.blogspot.com/2011/09/toy-cars-and-buses.html More pictures in it.
I wrote a blog relating to these. Do see, please!
schickenlady
Sherrie In, NH
(Zone 5a)

September 26, 2011
3:06 PM

Post #8825357

They have to be worth money! Tires or not.

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

September 26, 2011
9:57 PM

Post #8825996

True.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Antiques and Collectibles Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Sampler 1801 Ginger_H 7 Aug 20, 2012 2:34 PM
mingmimi justmeLisa 6 Oct 20, 2007 11:51 AM
Wintermoor what is this? justmeLisa 7 Oct 1, 2011 7:20 PM
Do you collect Depression Glass? What pattern? bluegrassmom 82 Apr 11, 2011 10:14 PM
What do you consider your best "collectible/antique" find? nminmd 142 May 6, 2012 3:43 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America