Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Soap and Candle-making: Hello, new candlemaker to this forum...

Communities > Forums > Soap and Candle-making
bookmark
Forum: Soap and Candle-makingReplies: 11, Views: 153
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
waxedout
Tallahassee, FL
(Zone 8b)

April 20, 2006
4:37 PM

Post #2205567

Hello! I didn't even realize that this forum existed at DG til now...I've only been involved in the plant stuff! I have been a candlemaker for over 15 years, mostly making molded shapes, interesting containers, and the occasional free form. I had a candlemaking studio and very small business with a candlemaking friend for a while, selling our candles on a "whenever we feel like it" basis and had a lot of fun doing it. In the last couple of years since I've had my first child, my candle workshop at home has been gathering dust -- babies and candlemaking just don't get along! I do hope to get back into it someday. In the meantime, I've been collecting and obsessed with succulent plants as a new and interim hobby... mostly aloe, gasteria, and haworthia. That's how I ended up at DG. I do miss communicating with other candlemakers, learning, and offering advice.

Michelle

rubyw
Crozet, VA

April 24, 2006
7:18 PM

Post #2217170

Hi Michelle - Just the person that I need. I have had an idea for a candle for several years now. I just need some ideas of what I will need to do it.

I have never made candles. I have been collecting the burned down stubs for years though and have a lot of wax to melt. I have read how to do that part, and feel comfortable that I will be able to do it.

Years ago I can remember seeing candles that are in a sand type of medium. I am pretty sure it is sand in fact, but need to know if you can tell me how to get the sand particles to stick together. I just want to do a "free form" bowl type of candle.

Are you with me? I hope that I haven't confused you. Basically I am looking for something that makes sand particles stick together permanently. Can you help?

Thank you in advance for your reply. Oh yeah, ought to mention that this project won't be done any time soon due to being a gardening junkie. haha Or it could possibly be a rainy day project for me.

I would love to see some pics of the candles that you used to make.

Ruby
waxedout
Tallahassee, FL
(Zone 8b)

April 25, 2006
6:11 PM

Post #2219997

Hi Ruby,

To make candles molded in sand, the pouring temperature for your wax mixture must be a lot higher (260-275F, depending on how thick you want the sand wall) than what you would use for other mold types such as plastic, containers, etc. Heating will require direct heat instead of/in addition to a double boiler. If the wax isn't hot enough, the sand won't stick at all. You may want to try first pouring it at a lesser temperature, just to get used to working with a sand-type mold. The sand won't stick, but you can still have a great looking free-form candle. Also, you may not want to combine your candle recycling with your sand candle project. Since you will be remelting old candles, you won't know the exact melting points for those candle wax used, and with the addition of existing scents, the mixture is an unknown and could be volatile at high temps. Recycled wax is best heated and poured at a low temperature, just a little higher than the observed melting point.

I have written instructions for both of these at home, and I'll try to get them to you sometime. It might be a while for me, too to get these to you, as I am in the hospital on bedrest waiting to have my second little girl very soon. Hooray for free wireless Internet here to keep my mind off things! I'll be posting pix and my old candlemaking how-to site hopefully soon.

These instructions I found online are pretty good for sand candles -- http://www.candlehelp.com/?content=sand -- Please follow all the safety guidelines...this project takes careful attention.

Good luck,
Michelle
rubyw
Crozet, VA

April 25, 2006
6:38 PM

Post #2220066

Hi Again Michelle - Wow!!!! You are in the hospital waiting to give birth - now how about that. I hope that everything will go smoothly for you and the baby.

My niece just had her first baby boy February 17,2006. Her son reminds me very much of my oldest son who is now twenty five years old. I also have a sixteen year old son.

I will be going to watch my younger son play baseball for his high school later today unless the game gets rained out. It is calling for thunder storms later on here in Central Virginia.

I am so glad that you had posted on this board. Thank you so very much for your caution regarding temperature of wax. I guess that when I finally decide to make the candle, I will go to a crafts store and buy new wax.

I just took a look at the posts on this board and see that it doesn't get too much action. l hope that you have been able to find some other sites where you can communicate with others about your interests.

I used to chat daily in a yahoo chat room. It was called the health lobby and I originally went there to talk with others who might be dealing with health issues. It became so much fun in there that I was a daily participant for over six years. It has now been over a year since I have even gone in there. I do stay in touch with a couple of the people that I became friends with there.

I encourage you to find either a chat room or a message board so that you can continue to discuss your interests and what is going on in your life. haha I wonder if there is one for new mothers? You might have to start one up. haha

I remember having babies, and how it can lead a person to feel as though they are out of touch with the outside world for a while. Since you have already had one child, you already know the time and energy that little bundle will use up.

Anyway, again I thank you for replying and sending the great link to candle making. I sometimes post on the forum called Mid-Atlantic Gardening. I am also working my way through reading all the 36 pages of posts on the frugal living board. This is a great website. Maybe you and I will see each other in some of the other forums.

You take very good care of yourself and that baby girl. God Bless.

Ruby
ejennings
San Angelo, TX
(Zone 7b)

February 28, 2007
4:38 AM

Post #3233276

I just joined DG and was looking around and found this site.
I love to burn candles. there's always wax left in them. I used to use a knife and dig the wax out. Hint from Heloise had a hint to getting it out easier-put in freezer for an hour or so and out it comes. So I have alot of wax saved up to make my own. I DONT KNOW HOW. How crazy? I figured I find out. Can you tell me in the easy beginners way on how I go about doing it? Like what I'll need and all. Thank you and can't wait to hear back.
dbsgarden
West Bridgewater, MA

March 19, 2007
10:09 AM

Post #3297477

Does anyone have any info. they can give me on aloe and it's use for healing. I am new today to this site. I can be e-mailed at dbourne111@comcast.net or I'm thinking you would post to this site? My name here is dbsgarden. I am getting ready for Hort. Therapy exhibit where we will be displaying aloe, lavendar and stevia.
ejennings
San Angelo, TX
(Zone 7b)

March 20, 2007
8:20 AM

Post #3300941

You might want to try to google alope or even go to ask.com and type in aloe and healing.
I keep 2 aloe plants for just that. It helps burns, cuts, and it moisturizes.
Good luck. Elizabeth
Martha_93
Sydney
Australia

June 20, 2007
11:03 AM

Post #3636374

I just purchased this new e-book on gel-candle making off this site called www.e-bookchoice.com. It contains many recipes for this new type of candle making and is well worth the purchase.
defoecat
Pleasureville, KY
(Zone 6a)

July 4, 2007
3:12 AM

Post #3692719

Martha, I am a gel candle maker, and you will be delighted with them. They are so forgiving, not like the wax candles.

|f you need any info, or have questions, d-mail me.
Steve_Miller
Brooklyn, NY

March 13, 2014
10:45 PM

Post #9789153

Hi Everybody,

Please check our site www.wholesalecandlesdirect.com.
You can find different categories of Candles like floating candles, candle holders, Bulk candles,
Tealight candles, Votive candles, pillar candles, glass candle holders, white candles, Wedding
candles, wholesale candles, taper candles.

You will definitely like it.

Thanks in Advance.

Thumbnail by Steve_Miller
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Dlight123
Brooklyn, NY

June 30, 2014
10:21 PM

Post #9882260

Hi Everybody,

Please check our site www.dlightonline.com

Dlightonline.com is a manufacturer and distributor of premium candles, candle accessories
and wedding products based in Brooklyn, New York.

Brooklyn, New York, USA
(718) 775-3878
(800) 940-3248
info@Dlightonline.com
marigold53
New Caney, TX

August 10, 2014
8:23 PM

Post #9915031

Hi from New Caney, TX.

Sorry just realized this topic is Candle making. I moved my post to a new post titled Lye for Cold Press Soap.

This message was edited Aug 10, 2014 9:38 PM

Thumbnail by marigold53
Click the image for an enlarged view.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Soap and Candle-making Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome! Terry 14 Aug 21, 2007 9:24 AM
I got wax and empty pop bottles for christmas veeja3 10 Jun 1, 2010 7:56 PM
Who are the soapmakers??? gingerlily 73 Nov 12, 2007 1:05 AM
New at making soap Patty08 62 Dec 19, 2007 2:35 PM
Butter for Hands and Body - really bad dry skin tucker303 17 Jan 11, 2008 3:23 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America