Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Poultry and Livestock: Poultry Show on TV - Animal Planet Sunday Night 8 eastern

Communities > Forums > Poultry and Livestock
bookmark
Forum: Poultry and LivestockReplies: 35, Views: 73
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Duckwing_Mtn
Clinton, AR
(Zone 7a)

April 21, 2006
3:24 AM

Post #2207387

There is going to be a TV program airing this Sunday at 8 pm Eastern on Animal Planet that is about exhibiting purebred chickens. I have never heard of a chicken show being on TV before. This should be really interesting for anyone interested in seeing what goes on at chicken shows and how it all is done. Real sanctioned shows with licensed judges are a little different than what you have probably seen at your county and state fairs. I believe the show was taped at a show in CA. I don't guess I'll be watching it, as I just have the old fashioned antenna, no cable or satellite.

The chicken in the pic is not on the show, just one of my Blue Golden Duckwing American Game Bantam roosters at 9 years old.
http://groups.msn.com/DuckwingMtn/

Thumbnail by Duckwing_Mtn
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Duckwing_Mtn
Clinton, AR
(Zone 7a)

April 21, 2006
3:27 AM

Post #2207398

Here's what the Blue Golden Duckwing AGB female looks like.

Thumbnail by Duckwing_Mtn

TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

April 21, 2006
4:04 AM

Post #2207504

wow! jus tlook at those colors!!! and so fit and healthy at that age. i can see you love to take good care of you poultry!

i wish i coudl get that channel. i will ask a friend to tape it for me...

thanks a bunch!

tf
hmstyl
Cleveland, GA
(Zone 7a)

April 21, 2006
1:29 PM

Post #2208056

wow - that does sound interesting. I've never seen a poultry show before. I'll try to record it in case you want to see it, ok? Thanks for the info!
Cindy
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

April 21, 2006
1:39 PM

Post #2208095

you would? oh, that would be great, because my other friend is recording other shows at that time, and couldn't... my oldest will likely want to show chickens in 4-H as soon as he is old enough, and there really isn't anyone around here to show him what to expect or how to do it. and it will make a GREAT homeschool lesson too! the youngest one always like "drawing" pictures [he's four] of what his brother is learning...

hugs,
tf
Duckwing_Mtn
Clinton, AR
(Zone 7a)

April 22, 2006
2:47 AM

Post #2210035

I will add something here. Most people that don't know much about chicken shows outside of the county and state fairs probably think that regular size chickens are more common, but in fact Bantams are way more popular among those that show chickens aside from the fairs. Their small size makes it easier to house them less expensive to feed, easier to transport more birds to the shows in your car or truck, etc. That's not to knock the big chickens. They have some added benefits in being big. The bigger eggs for one, and some just like the looks of big chickens better and I can't knock them for that. Some of the bantams lay really small eggs but there are some that lay eggs about the size of the small eggs you see at the grocery store. Many of the Old English Game Bantams have been bred really small and many of them look dwarfy and lack a lot in being an exact replica of their large fowl couterpart that they are supposed to represent. The American Game Bantams, on the other hand, are pretty much just like the large American Games in body proportion and they are super easy to raise and typically lay larger eggs than smaller bantams like Old English Game Bantams.
Zeppy
Shenandoah Valley, VA
(Zone 6b)

April 22, 2006
3:06 AM

Post #2210082

Thanks for the heads up on this. We plan to watch...
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

April 22, 2006
7:11 AM

Post #2210509

... and i thought bantams were more popular because they are exotic, and so CUTE!

tf
Cottage_Rose

(Zone 5b)

April 24, 2006
3:57 AM

Post #2215629

Darn! I missed it!
Hope they re-run it.
Beautiful chickens!!!
hmstyl
Cleveland, GA
(Zone 7a)

April 24, 2006
1:44 PM

Post #2216248

oh Tamara, last night we went to the grocery store and got home after the show was already running. We actually saw the last 12 minutes. The Animal Planet version of the poultry show was not a very serious version as far as we could tell, when we turned it on they were interviewing people about the chicken dance and saying that it was "insulting and stereotyping chickens"!! LOL Perhaps we missed the educational part, but we did see that a little blank bantam won the show. We saw very little useful information in the final 12 minutes. So sorry, I meant to record it for you. I bought a couple new VHS tapes and everything.
Zeppy
Shenandoah Valley, VA
(Zone 6b)

April 24, 2006
2:11 PM

Post #2216336

Yeah, it was sort of more about the poultry show culture than about the actual birds. Maybe someday they'll have a show about standard size dual-purpose poultry. :)

crestedchik

crestedchik
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

April 24, 2006
2:45 PM

Post #2216438

I enjoyed it
But I'm wondering what National it was at
The National we always go to is in Columbus Ohio
I was there last November and one of my bantam white polish hens ended up on Champion row,(Ch AOCCL)
Thats the best I've ever done in my life
Some of the people in the film look familar and some I actually have talked to
Bill Wulff I saw at the last National

Thumbnail by crestedchik

Duckwing_Mtn
Clinton, AR
(Zone 7a)

April 24, 2006
2:59 PM

Post #2216480

It is going to air again on April 30th at 3 pm. That would be eastern time I think.

I believe it was taped at the joint ABA / APA National at Stockton, CA, but I am just going by hearsay from other chicken forums. That's all I know and I did not watch it as I don't have satelite or cable TV. From others' comments it doesn't sound like I missed much. I was hoping it would be more focused on the actual breeds of chickens, how a poultry show is put on, how the exhibitors go about entering and cooping in their birds, and how the judge judges the breeds against what the Standard says they should be like.
SherryLike
SE Arky
United States
(Zone 8a)

April 24, 2006
3:14 PM

Post #2216513

That is a beautiful chicken CC, really something. How do you groom her, bath, blow dry, do you use products, etc?? I will admit that I've given my chickens baths. I used one spray bottle with soapy water, then I used clear water to rinse them and they looked like movie stars, but not nearly as fancy as yours, but they are babies, I would love to just see a chick that looks like yours...oh, how old is your champion??
MiniSchnuz
New Iberia, LA
(Zone 9a)

April 25, 2006
1:20 PM

Post #2219209

I watched it.. I enjoyed it. Every time I see any chickens.. I told DH I wanted each of one. LOL
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

April 25, 2006
2:26 PM

Post #2219339

LOL mini schnuz, me TOO!!!

hmstyl, i was going to remind you but i go tbusy too. the friend here in town that records things was recoding something else. if it does air again, or if anyone recorded it, i would be happy to send a new VHS tape and SASBE. although it may no thave been informative, it could be a good intro for my kids, funny, interesting, not too boring for htem LOL...

nice chik crested! and congrats!!!

SherryLike
SE Arky
United States
(Zone 8a)

April 25, 2006
4:52 PM

Post #2219718

Does Animal Planet repeat those shows?? I'd love to see the chickens!!! I know that is really stupid, mainly because I'm a Golden breeder and I KNOW how difficult it is to find one show prospect from litters of puppies; however, I have a young Sultan that looks rather promising. She's really cute but not as cute as CC's...
Duckwing_Mtn
Clinton, AR
(Zone 7a)

April 26, 2006
3:45 AM

Post #2221937

It is going to air again on April 30th at 3 pm. That would be eastern time I think.
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

April 26, 2006
3:46 AM

Post #2221939

hurrah! who do i send a tape to? i mean, "to whom should i send a tape?" ;-)
hmstyl
Cleveland, GA
(Zone 7a)

April 26, 2006
1:47 PM

Post #2222821

hmmmm... that is Sunday afternoon. If it is still pouring down rain here like weather.com says it will, we have a pretty good chance of being indoors to record it! I will try to catch it this time.

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

April 26, 2006
5:40 PM

Post #2223622

Hi Y'all, I just joined up hereand was reading through the threads, some really great stuff here! I missed the "show", I didn't know AP was even into chickens, I hope they repeat it soon so I'll catch it next time

I am raising 20 assorted purebred banthams,from McMurray. They are all that survived from an order containing 35. The weather turned very cold here the night before they arrived and they got severely chilled in shipment. The ones now are very healthy and I am just now able to start sorting them out by breed(?). They are 5 weeks old.

I have 2 that have 5 toes, I'm sure the are a pair of Seral Tooks or Sultans. The only problem is that by info from McMurray, "Sultans" are only white in coloration, one of my babies is a buff color. How about it fellow chicken "parents", does anyone know if 5 toed Sultans can be another color?

I'm new to this site and to computers, so I haven't learned how to "do" pictures yet!

crestedchik

crestedchik
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

April 26, 2006
5:59 PM

Post #2223671

Sherry
you wouldn't want to go thru what I do when washing for a show
It involves 6 tubs of very warm water
1-wash tub-malithion and Ivory
2 -clear water with vinagar
3-water with borax
4-clear water
5- water with bluing
6- water with glycerine

I also use spray and wash to get out stains(it also kills mites)
scrubers or toothbrush for legs and nails

then, when dry, the grooming starts...
and thanks for the compliments on my bird(she was 1 1/2 when she won)
The Sultan will look lots like it but with feathers down the legs
by the way...Love them!!!!
what color are its legs?
They should be slatey blue
I had a lot of problem with my sultans
the legs got too light colored to show
Didn't know if they were all ending up loosing the color our just the blood line I had

crestedchik

crestedchik
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

April 26, 2006
6:04 PM

Post #2223686

Sultans should be white
years ago there were other colors but only white is in the standard
there are only 5 breeds that have 5 toes
silkey
houdan
dorking
sultan
and dang ,do you think I can remember the last...?????

but some whites end up a yellowish color
it means they don't have the silver white gene
Zeppy
Shenandoah Valley, VA
(Zone 6b)

April 26, 2006
6:06 PM

Post #2223693

Faverolle is the other, I believe.
QueenB
Shepherd, TX
(Zone 8b)

April 27, 2006
11:29 AM

Post #2226093

Duckwing, you have some beautiful birds! I myself would like to try Lemon-blues and Blue-wheatons. I'm due to get some Crele eggs next week. I just love the little boogers.

I have shown chickens only once, and that was back in high school for FFA. All I was told about was the soap with the bluing water, and then blow drying them. I did that for 3 Leghorns. After that I didn't get the chance to start raising chickens again until March of 2004, and so far, I haven't had any yet that are worthy of showing. I've been out of the loop so long, that the rules have changed and I'd have to learn all over again. If I were to show anything, I would show one or two of my Black Jersey Giants. I'm working hard to get those up to standard.

Eufala, you don't think that maybe they sent you a buff laced Polish? They have a crest like Sultans. I have a hen.
Duckwing_Mtn
Clinton, AR
(Zone 7a)

April 27, 2006
1:18 PM

Post #2226311

Thanks for the compliments on my birds QueenB. Here is a link to a chicken discussion group you might find useful. I created it and am the moderator. It is mainly focused on the Game Bantam Breeds but we gladly will try to asnwer about any general question you have about showing or raising chickens. I know there is at least one guy on there that shows Rhode Island Red Bantams.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/gamebantamcentral/

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

April 27, 2006
6:22 PM

Post #2227231

Hmmmm, Queen Bee , you may be right! I'm not that familiar yet with all the different breeds of bantams but am learning! My little baby has the dark slate legs and is identical to the white one except for the color!

hmstyl
Cleveland, GA
(Zone 7a)

May 1, 2006
3:02 PM

Post #2238342

Tamara Faye - I did it - yipee!! I recorded the show for you yesterday!! You gotta understand, I am totally low tech, and the last time I tried to record something with the VCR I got sound and snow - no picture! This time I got the sound and the picture - so I am not technically retarded - yeah!!

Anyway, I just let the recorder run all afternoon while I was out in the garden and doing chores, so you have about 6 hours of Animal Planet! I did walk in one time and see something real interesting about jellyfish. Send me a d-mail with your address and I will try to get the tape to the post office in the next couple days.
Cindy
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

May 1, 2006
3:24 PM

Post #2238411

whooo peeeee!!!! Yaaaaaaahhhh- HOOOOOOO!

you have dmail...
SherryLike
SE Arky
United States
(Zone 8a)

May 2, 2006
3:04 AM

Post #2240704

CC, might the lack of correct skin color be due to incorrect or too close line breeding?? We breed Goldens for pigment, my boy at my feet, has jet black skin, eyeliner, etc. And, BTW, oh, yes I would be interested in your grooming procedure. I'm too sleepy to dig into it tonight, we just cracked two more babies, one is huge and too cute. Later and thanks for the info, I will start exactly as you have written, I've been bathing them since they arrived, now I will learn to use the correct products, etc, first the Golden, then the chickens, loll!!!!
SherryLike
SE Arky
United States
(Zone 8a)

May 2, 2006
1:49 PM

Post #2241453

CC, my Sultans are white, with that odd color blue skin you describe. My silkies have black skin. I love the three Sultans, they are so friendly and the smallest has taken to me and I'm finding that I'm holding her quite a lot each day. She perches and is happy to hang around with me. As soon as I gather things up, I'm going to show groom her, I love all the steps, and the only thing I'm concerned about it the malithion. I will wait on that until I have the exact recipe. I look forward to the six tubs bath and I expect we will be bathing and grooming all of them very soon. Thanks!!!
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

September 13, 2006
3:21 PM

Post #2718948

my kids have loved that show. they have been down in the dumps since they misplaced that tape. now show time is here, and i finally found crestchiks directions for bathing a chicken for show, without the extra coloring LOL

tf

crestedchik

crestedchik
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

September 13, 2006
6:34 PM

Post #2719511

ROTFLMAO!!!
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

September 19, 2006
10:17 PM

Post #2740257

Hey, we had a GREAT time at the fair. I will do a thread when I get the pictures back. My DH made fun of me for scrubbing their combs and feet and toenails. They were compleetly dust free and bug free and their feathers were just as shiny as the ones a guy was spraying with SHINE, so i skipped the baths. Acutally, i had to because i had to spend extra time wwith some of them outside in fresh air. Mine didn't have good ventialtion traveling [17 birds & two kids, 50 miles], and when i got there they weren't ready for me to unload till they found the guy to do the AI testing, so I lost two birds, and some others needed fresh air and exrtra attention to make it through the night. I was so sure they wouldn't make it that i brought extra the next day, and they let me enter them to replace the ones i lost.

We got lots of ribbons, and our premiums were more than double our entry fees. So we are ready now to get guineas and moscovy ducks, and we are joinging the poultry club that spo9nsored the show.

I was disappointed that we didn't get trophies for our Best of Class and Reserve Best of Class. But they didn't have enough tropies, and even ran out of ribbons, but went out of their way [after i asked] to give us Lubbock Fair ribbons so my kids woul dhave something to show for it.

We are excited about all our birds. Unfortuantely I had no idea that by being gone just a few days, the other's would not be accepting of them [i actually thought they would miss them!], so four cocerels got whooped on pretty badly. Two are having a hard time seeing, so i put them up in the brooder cage. They keep stepping in their wtare and food. Of course, one is the One that got Best in American Class, figures, don't it, guess the others were jealous cause he is gonna be a breeder, not go in the freezer LOL

Talk to you Bird lovers later!
tf
Cgourd
Goshen, IN
(Zone 5a)

September 20, 2006
7:35 PM

Post #2742967

I'm new here, but I saw the poultry thread! That's as far as I got. I belong to several poultry groups online, and I joined this for my other passion-PLANTS! I have a variety of breeds, and I love my little OEGB's. Duckwing Mtn, you have a beautiful roo!
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

September 22, 2006
9:57 PM

Post #2750153

welcome to DG Cgourd!!! I wish i had enough time for all the online poultry groups. I do good just getting to DG these days...

WE wond all kinds of firsts, seconds, thirds, 2-Best in Breed, 2-Best in Class and 2-Reserve Best in Class. Got some new batteries for the digital camera, then i can post pictures maybe next week...

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Poultry and Livestock Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Raising Keets (baby guineas) TamaraFaye 39 Apr 29, 2012 1:19 PM
Guineas moved into new home TamaraFaye 91 Jun 7, 2008 9:31 PM
What should I do for my sick hen? Tammy 51 Dec 16, 2007 8:55 PM
Sheep losing wool KathyJo 16 May 7, 2008 11:37 PM
Anyone raise rabbits ? PeggieK 41 Jul 10, 2008 12:07 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America