AuthorContent
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 24, 2006
6:44 PM

Post #2217075

First step ; face the group & repeat after me,
"My name is ________and I am a certified coleus addict!

Okay someone else add the second step. We can all take turns adding just one at a time. We'll compile them after we get a good start. Try not to duplicate.
Sidney

Thumbnail by sugarweed
Click the image for an enlarged view.

patischell
Fort Pierce, FL
(Zone 10a)

April 24, 2006
6:50 PM

Post #2217097

This is NOT going to work Sugar. I'm already drooling over those in the picture! I'm obviousy not ready for the next step! LOL
((hugs))
Pati

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

April 24, 2006
7:02 PM

Post #2217130

"My name is ________and if you see me drooling, I am a certified coleus addict!
Woofens
Dillonvale, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 24, 2006
7:07 PM

Post #2217144

Sugar, what is that awesome red one? I am addicted, I need to start my seeds... afraid we are gonna move so not wanting to put anything in the ground

Janis
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 24, 2006
7:12 PM

Post #2217158

Very goodBenjamin.
Woofens I have no idea, but maybe Scarlet Wizard
Here's another I have a big one of. I have no Idea what it's name is.
Sidney

Thumbnail by sugarweed

Demstratt
Lincoln Park, MI
(Zone 5a)

April 24, 2006
7:19 PM

Post #2217177

Sidney did you get those beauties from seeds??I'm liking those alot...

Happy_1

Happy_1
Fort Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10b)

April 24, 2006
8:14 PM

Post #2217304

HEHEHE...

So much for the 1200 step program...you guys can't even get past the first step without going into dissertations about how beautiful they all are and what's-it's-name jabber...ROTFL...
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 24, 2006
8:15 PM

Post #2217307

No, the "Pop-up" nursery on Beach ave. They just throw up a tent and load it with plants.
Sidney
heathrjoy
Weedville, PA
(Zone 6a)

April 24, 2006
9:42 PM

Post #2217549

"My name is Heather and I am a certified coleus addict!"

Step Two...Close your eyes and take a deep, cleansing breath. As you inhale think of all the positive things in your life (other than Coleus). Sunshine, rain, time to garden...imagine your own list of positive things.

I think this is a great thread for us all to share in. It will truly help those of us who cannot help ourselves. We may have to develop a buddy system for some of the newer members who are a bit more fragile. Does anyone second that?

Also, I think it would be good to interview some of our family members to get support going for our new program. Maybe we could interview them now and then again in say, about 2 weeks and note if they see any difference in our Coleus appetites. I know that my DH has often...oh, oh, OMG! Sidney! BREATH OUT!!

Um, maybe I should edit Step Two.
georgiagarden3
Arlington, GA
(Zone 8a)

April 24, 2006
10:23 PM

Post #2217623

Step Three...admit the Truth about how many named
Coleus are growing in your home,garden,or nursery
also admit to the Pinching in public.

Hi my name is Pheadra and I have at the moment
36 named Coleus and at last count 12 unnamed

1.CAREFREE MIX 2.RAINBOW MIX 3.WIZARD MIX 4.INKY FINGERS 5.STRAWBERRY DROP 6.JACK OF DIAMONDS 7.BUTTERCREME 8.PINK CHAOS 9.ALABAMA SUNSET 10.SEDONA 11.FIRE FINGERS 12.GAYLE 13.DEFIANCE 14.BLACK DRAGON 15.ROSE KONG 16.RUSTIC ORANGE 17.GOLD BOUND 18.DANCING RUFFLES 19.ELBRIGHTO 20.FESTIVE DANCE 21.FLORIDA SUN JADE 22.FLORIDA SUN ROSE 23.INDIA FRILLS 24.MARIPOSA 25.SABER MIX 26.VOLCANO 27.BLACK KNIGHT 28.ROARING FIRE 29.ROBYN 30.FRIGHT NIGHT 31. AURORA PEACH 32.AURORA BLACK CHERRY 33.BECKSWITH GEM 34.FANCY 35.SMOLDERING 36. RED RUFFLES

And yes I`m a Pincher Public and Private,heres the
Nursery

Thumbnail by georgiagarden3

sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 25, 2006
12:35 AM

Post #2217940

Great Pheadra, they look so healthy and ready to do their annual "Show=out".
Here is "sidney" after her spring cut back. Ready to take off again. She showed all winter long about 3 feet tall.
In this picture she is about a foot tall.
Sidney

Thumbnail by sugarweed

georgiagarden3
Arlington, GA
(Zone 8a)

April 25, 2006
12:48 AM

Post #2217983

OHHH very nice,I can`t wait for the Spring Trades to begin.

oh wait ...SUUUGGGGAAARRR we`re supposed to be breaking the addiction...or Maybe... we`re not... maybe we`re
the Scouts we go in see what works in rehab and what does not
we`re the Coleus Rehab Rats,,,

heathrjoy
Weedville, PA
(Zone 6a)

April 25, 2006
3:49 PM

Post #2219556

Ok, step 3 is easy for me. This won't take long at all.

1. Rainbow Mix babies.

Thumbnail by heathrjoy

heathrjoy
Weedville, PA
(Zone 6a)

April 25, 2006
3:58 PM

Post #2219588

Yes, I think you're right. Someone has to test the waters for everyone else. I think it is self-sacrificing of us to do this! We can see how much Coleus temptation one can stand this way...how much is too much? Who determines what a normal appetite is anyway? WE do!! ;~P he he he There's only one way to determine that, it MUST be tested!!

You all really do have some seriously beautiful Coleus cuties there! I hope some of mine will have great coloring like that. I know they are "only" Rainbow mix, but a girl can still hope! I saw some Rainbow Mix at a gh yesterday, they are a lot further along than mine. It was so exciting to see what I'm going to have! I couldn't look too long or too close tho...my pinchers were starting to snap and my money pocket was starting to burn even tho I have too many seedlings at home here. We are so funny that way...or at least I am. But, I resisted by doing step 2 & 3, and am sticking to the program! Victory!!

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

April 25, 2006
6:45 PM

Post #2220079

Step Four: Take one dose of COLASE, a recommended CALCIUM fortified product. The time you spend in the bathroom is GUARANTEED to keep you out of area gh's, and will inhibit pinching (Public/private), or coleus gardening of any kind. It WILL, however, facilitate your carrying out Step 3.

Note; Only for those who need radical treatment of the Coleus Gardening obsession.
NoH2O
Everson, WA
(Zone 8a)

April 25, 2006
7:31 PM

Post #2220194

Step Five: Complain about your coleus not surviving the winter in cold zone 5 so all the addicts in the tropical zones will feel sorry for you and send you cuttings.

Step Six: Buy cargo pants and photographer's vest so you can pinch your own cuttings just in case your addicted friends get sick of hearing you whine.

Step Seven: Fell sorry for yourself; eat chocolate.
Demstratt
Lincoln Park, MI
(Zone 5a)

April 25, 2006
7:34 PM

Post #2220203

I love step # 5..and 7..I say go for it.. ;o))

Loretta...

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

April 25, 2006
7:39 PM

Post #2220214

Ok,
Back to reality. What happens to the coleus after the summer? Do you bring them inside for the winter? Do they go dormant and come back next warm season? Advise, please. Remember, I'm a newbie...

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

April 25, 2006
7:40 PM

Post #2220217

Loretta,
I see you're not ready for radical Step #4. You must be a relatively new addict, with a true chance at recovery...
Brinda
Yukon, OK
(Zone 7b)

April 25, 2006
8:15 PM

Post #2220295

benjamin, I had some go dormant but they did NOT come back to true color the next year. Ugggghhh, actually they were pretty ugly! Most people take cuttings and keep them inside for the winter. I just don't have the room because I'm over run with much larger plants too take cuttings. We live in a forest of plants all winter long in the kitchen. LOL My DH has to wonder how he ever got into a mess like this.

Happy_1

Happy_1
Fort Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10b)

April 25, 2006
8:33 PM

Post #2220354

My grow all years...hehehe
patischell
Fort Pierce, FL
(Zone 10a)

April 25, 2006
9:27 PM

Post #2220496

Now, now...play nice Hap! After all, you may need help more than most of us. At least WE don't have a Coleus in the Guiness Book! LOL
Pati

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

April 25, 2006
9:51 PM

Post #2220573

Hap has a coleus in the Guinness Book? What category?
cbrandenburg
Freedom, PA
(Zone 6a)

April 25, 2006
10:08 PM

Post #2220629

Step 8: Watch what everyone posts and keep lists for trading or begging in the fall.

Great thread, my DH is a public pincher, he's very good at, I don't see him do it, but he always has something in his pocket when he gets home.

Heatherjoy, I will be bringing several coleus to the plant swap, named plants and seedlings. Wanna Trade Coleus??
joeysplanting
Vallejo, CA
(Zone 9b)

April 25, 2006
10:11 PM

Post #2220640

My name is Joey and I am a certified coleus addict!

Step 8: Refrain from going to online Coleus shops like Rosy Dawn Gardens... but, if you do, have someone hold on to your credit cards.

BTW, I love #6. I usually wear cargo pants and attest to that!
heathrjoy
Weedville, PA
(Zone 6a)

April 25, 2006
10:48 PM

Post #2220768

ooooh, Cathy, I was just thinking about 30 mins ago that it might be too hard for me to get there this spring...but I'll have to find a way! Yes I want to trade! I'll send you pics when mine are getting bigger and more colorful. Yippee!

What if my butt is too big for cargo pants??? LOL Or will all the Coleus pinches in the pockets make my legs look more "filled out" and proportionate? ROTFL!!! This could be a look I could get into, it could change my whole life. I may have to drop the rehab program simply to reclaim my style!!

Happy_1

Happy_1
Fort Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10b)

April 25, 2006
10:56 PM

Post #2220795

Ben,

I receibed my certificate on 10/31/04...I have it for the world's tallest colesu...8 foot 4 inches...yipee

Hap

Thumbnail by Happy_1

Demstratt
Lincoln Park, MI
(Zone 5a)

April 25, 2006
11:10 PM

Post #2220843

Benjamin I guess I'll go for step # 4 too..I just wanna tread lightly tho...
Hey Heather hows the planter doing did you give up??I sure did just could'nt get it to look how I wanted it to..

Loretta..
heathrjoy
Weedville, PA
(Zone 6a)

April 26, 2006
12:21 AM

Post #2221100

Over 8 foot tall? I think that's a monster. What did you feed that thing?? Good golly!

Nope, I'm still working on it. Not at the present, but mentally working on it all the time. I'll get a good one made yet. Then mass produce them and make millions $$$$$. Just kidding about the mass production part. I am still going to make a better one. Kind of like making a better mouse trap tho...take a bit...but what's life w/out a challenge?
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 26, 2006
10:17 AM

Post #2222370

My piece of the Guiness Coleus is pictured above on the 24th at 8:35 PM.
Yall are doing great.
Now repeat after me I'm happy, I'm healthy and I have more coleus than I'll ever need.
Sidney
Brinda
Yukon, OK
(Zone 7b)

April 26, 2006
11:02 AM

Post #2222418

Huh? Ever need?

Happy_1

Happy_1
Fort Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10b)

April 26, 2006
2:13 PM

Post #2222926

Sugar,

What are you saying...I can't have any more????? I have just begun...
heathrjoy
Weedville, PA
(Zone 6a)

April 26, 2006
2:56 PM

Post #2223072

I only have one kind...that's all I'll ever need? Suddenly I feel very sad and alone. I think I need the buddy system.

Happy_1

Happy_1
Fort Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10b)

April 26, 2006
5:06 PM

Post #2223514

Heather, you only have ONE kind of coleus...?????? What did you pick???

Hap

I did't know that they sold just one kind at a time...lol
Demstratt
Lincoln Park, MI
(Zone 5a)

April 26, 2006
5:11 PM

Post #2223533

Don't be sad Heather I'll share some with you..!!

Loretta...
Brinda
Yukon, OK
(Zone 7b)

April 26, 2006
5:15 PM

Post #2223547

Hi Loretta...waving from Oklahoma! I'm wanting someone to post some gorgeous pics! LOL It's cold here and I'm having withdrawal.
heathrjoy
Weedville, PA
(Zone 6a)

April 26, 2006
8:36 PM

Post #2224147

They sell one kind when it's seed. I started mine from seed...Rainbow Mix is what I have. That's all I have...but I'm sure they'll be nice and purty. I have to get some fish e soon tho to make sure they have bright colors and don't muddy. Does water from a fish tank really count as fish e? Is it just as good as what you buy at the store? I have a fish tank that needs a water change.

Happy_1

Happy_1
Fort Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10b)

April 26, 2006
10:48 PM

Post #2224512

Absolutely don't toss that water...People pay $1000 per gallon for that water...welll...maybe somewhere...But yes, it's great!

Brinda, I'm getting my pic together...from today... give the ol' girl a little time, OK??

Hap
Demstratt
Lincoln Park, MI
(Zone 5a)

April 27, 2006
12:59 AM

Post #2224996

Waving back at you Brinda...Sorry no camera...I see you also have another addiction..but it's a good one...Remember you can NEVER have too many plants...

Loretta...
heathrjoy
Weedville, PA
(Zone 6a)

April 27, 2006
6:38 AM

Post #2225930

I thought I read somewhere that you could use it as fish e. Or, maybe I'll just start selling it, then buy more fish and pay someone else to apply fish e to all my Coleus! My fish tank needs cleaned so bad anyway, but it doesn't look or smell it.

I transplanted a few babies today. I don't know if this counts as a pic that Brinda was looking for, but here it is anyway.

Thumbnail by heathrjoy

Happy_1

Happy_1
Fort Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10b)

April 27, 2006
12:42 PM

Post #2226240

Good Morning Addicts...

Heather, baby pics are always good...

Hap
georgiagarden3
Arlington, GA
(Zone 8a)

April 27, 2006
12:54 PM

Post #2226261

Here ya go Brinda to help take the Chill off ya.

great babies Heather.

georgiagarden3
Arlington, GA
(Zone 8a)

April 27, 2006
12:55 PM

Post #2226263

and here is Fancy,

georgiagarden3
Arlington, GA
(Zone 8a)

April 27, 2006
12:57 PM

Post #2226268

one more,then off to work
unknown name, anyone?
and some say we`re addicts,hmm

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

April 27, 2006
2:09 PM

Post #2226441

OOOOOOOOOOOh, I love the baby pics! Guess what?!!! I believe I managed to save my science experiment gone bad! Remember, I took cuttings of my beloved Black Dragons and wrapped them in "root ball" baggies? They starting damping off and just rotted where I had wrapped the tape around the stem to hold the baggies on. Well, I unleashed them all and stuck them into some little rooting containers. VOILA! They're all coming back to life. THEY LIVE!! I sure wish I had a camera so you could see those little sargents. They're all standing at attention this morning as temperatures here dropped to 55 degrees last night. We'll be up to the mid 70s by noon, though. All the plants on the patio are loving the cool breeze.

P.S. Yesterday I bought a 5-pak of the new Miracle Grow spray dispenser system. It seems to be pretty easy and no mixing mess or blue fingers. I'm thinking of fertilizing everything on a 14 day schedule. Should get me through mid-July. Comments on this plan please.

P.S. My DH swears that his insecticide will kill the Asian leaf scale that's attacking the Sago Palms. Will somebody assure me (and him) that the only recommended, proven product is the Malathion In Oil, applied diligently every month for forever. Sure would appreciate some feedback.

And finally, I have a mature Oak tree on my eastern facing from lawn. It needs something planted underneath it as ground cover. About 3 feet diameter. However, the oak roots are close to the surface. I have been trying to transplant some creeping ivy from the side yard but that stuff needs constant moisture to root properly. And I can't figure out how to get a large enough "carpet" of it to just lay down on the ground under the oak. I know it would thrive well there in the shade once it takes, but I just can't get it going. Suggestions, PLEASE!

Luv Ya'll!

Happy_1

Happy_1
Fort Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10b)

April 27, 2006
2:21 PM

Post #2226500

Ben,

Do a search on the sago. There is a thread that talks all about what to do. I saw it after I lost my 20 year old, 6' sagos...I was sick.

Under your oak, do you want a permanent plant? Do you freeze in the winter? I, of course, would go for coleus...

Hap

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

April 27, 2006
4:11 PM

Post #2226829

DUH,
Now how come I didn't think "coleus!" In Houston, our winters are really funny. One day it could be 85090 degrees, and you wake up to 35 or 40. Overall, though, temperatures average between 50-60, I think, for most of the winter. Making it miserable for us who truly want to wear our coats and comfy, cozy sweaters. Do you think the coleus would survive and come back?

My DH inherited some evergreen pieces (NOT a tree or anything, more like hedges) and planted there, but he loss 2/3 of what he planted, so it's only a small evergreen art deco piece left under the oak. Still opportunity for me to go to the drawing board. Also, I'm thinking I need to put more dirt on that bed to cover those roots more. But, if I do, then I might have to build some sort of retainer wall around that to keep the dirt in. Oh, joy...

Thanks for the feedback.
heathrjoy
Weedville, PA
(Zone 6a)

April 27, 2006
4:21 PM

Post #2226865

What to use under the tree would depend on a lot of things..soil, temps, etc. What about Forget Me Not? How low or high do you want the ground cover to be?

I think Ivy can be best rooted in damp sand or perlite. Take spring cuttings that have new growth and keep the medium they are rooting in damp. Ivy may not be a great idea, it could evenutally climb the tree and choke it.

There are lots and lots of ground covers that would work for you, you could even start them from seed. If you start them from seed you can plant out a much smaller plant and won't have to worry about digging a big hole around those roots. I think anything "creeping" looks fantastic under a tree. Do a search on google w/ your favorite color, creeping and plant...for me it would be "pink creeping plant"...and see what you get! oooooh, bleeding hearts would even work if they aren't too tall, but take a long time from seed.

Hosta would be good too, and there are fragrant varieties also. You can start them from seed, I did this year.

Hope that helps,
Heather
heathrjoy
Weedville, PA
(Zone 6a)

April 27, 2006
4:26 PM

Post #2226886

Hey, Benny, if you got any rocks laying around make a natural retaining wall...don't go buy the stuff or make it a huge project. Just stack the stones as high as you need them, biggest ones at the bottom. You'll find out that all your neighbors will BRING you their rocks free just to get rid of them!

When you're all done, dampen some of the soil between some of the stones and push some seeds in the crevice...or blow them in while you have them laying on a piece of paper. Then cover them w/ a tissue so they don't blow away. Every will think the wall has been there for 20 years! And it won't cost much of anything but time.
Brinda
Yukon, OK
(Zone 7b)

April 27, 2006
7:00 PM

Post #2227357

Heather, your baby is soooo cute!

gg3, you've made my day! I love all your beauties! I'm really in love with Fancy! That is a new one to me. Has anyone else seen it around?

And gg3, I know that third coleus you posted. I just can't recall right now. I think last year we had a discussion about it. I'll try to find it.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

April 27, 2006
7:06 PM

Post #2227366

Heathrjoy,
Thanks so much for your wonderful ideas! Now, if I can just get my new DH on board with the project! We're having a garden war. He's been an amateur gardener for about 10 years, sort of haphazardly, and with no rhyme or reason (I pulled almost 30 half-dead Sago palms out from under an elephant ear stuck in the corner of the patio. He just buys and parks...

Anyway, all of a sudden I'm quoting tips and tricks from DAVE'S GARDEN. I figure let's pool our collective knowledge. He figures he KNOWS everything there is to know about EVERYTHING, including gardens. I think there's a term for this condition -- it's called MARRIAGE.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

April 27, 2006

Post #2227380

I've got a whole box of hostas bulbs, and I am agonizing over planting them anywhere because of the slugs and snails. Actually, putting them under the oak tree might not be so bad, since we rarely go in and out of the front door -- usually the garage entrance. So, no one would be smashing snails or dodging slugs going in and out. Just don't want to start something I'm not willing to finish...slug bait, salt, slime, crunch.

P.S. I'm not squeemish about snails or slugs...

I TRULY adore those brilliant chartreuse hostas! They are to DIE for!
Brinda
Yukon, OK
(Zone 7b)

April 27, 2006
7:22 PM

Post #2227403

georgiagarden3, look at this thread. The pic #17 looks like the same coleus as your third pic. At the time this pic was taken, the coleus was mostly in shade so the colors aren't as vibrant. http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/532069/

editing because I think I'm wrong. My pic (#17) is El Brighto, but after looking at yours again...I don't think it is. Where is Chris????

This message was edited Apr 27, 2006 3:04 PM

Happy_1

Happy_1
Fort Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10b)

April 27, 2006
7:23 PM

Post #2227411

Ben,

Be careful about changing the dirt level around a tree. It may keeel it. Better you plant something that will survive betwix the roots.

Hap
heathrjoy
Weedville, PA
(Zone 6a)

April 27, 2006
9:39 PM

Post #2227743

Didn't think about that Hap, good point.

If you can get those Hosta in there, they will root and do fine tho.

Just put some beer out in shallow containers that have the side walls greased w/ Crisco, the slugs will be history. Does that work for snails too?

Happy_1

Happy_1
Fort Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10b)

April 27, 2006
10:20 PM

Post #2227839

hehehe...

My DD lives in a Very nice area of Chicago...She tried putting out cheap beer for the slugs...no go...Then she put out Heinekins...they all went for it...ROTFL
True story...

Hap

Happy_1

Happy_1
Fort Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10b)

April 27, 2006
10:21 PM

Post #2227841

Sugar,

No one has seen the chipmonk in your pic yet?
Demstratt
Lincoln Park, MI
(Zone 5a)

April 27, 2006
10:35 PM

Post #2227881

My slugs like Bud but I like Margaritas...;o)))

Loretta...
Woofens
Dillonvale, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 28, 2006
12:34 AM

Post #2228121

What chipmunk?
Brinda
Yukon, OK
(Zone 7b)

April 28, 2006
2:06 AM

Post #2228378

LOL what pic?

Happy_1

Happy_1
Fort Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10b)

April 28, 2006
12:44 PM

Post #2229403

It's in her first post...

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

April 28, 2006
4:57 PM

Post #2230143

I don't see the chippy.

Ok. I can do hostas under the oak tree. Chartreuse hostas, and maybe some coleus, too? I have asparagus fern growing all over my present back yard. Can I incorporate some of this into the bed too, or is this overkill? And there's still that specimin piece of evergreen that managed to survive when my DH transplanted it.

Come back , ya'll. THANKS!

Happy_1

Happy_1
Fort Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10b)

April 28, 2006
5:39 PM

Post #2230256

You have to look reallllll hard...It's sort of hiding.

Hostas sound great with coleus. I'd have to think hard about the asp fern...

Hap

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

April 28, 2006
6:08 PM

Post #2230361

Hap,
Will the coleus survive our winter or will I need to dig them up or purchase more next year?

Still don't see no chippy...

Anyone familiar with "Garden Gate" gardening magazine? They sent me a complimentary issue, and the pics look pretty good for gardening ideas. Come back, soon.

Happy_1

Happy_1
Fort Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10b)

April 28, 2006
6:17 PM

Post #2230375

How cold does it get, Ben?

BTW, here are some pics that I promised a couple of days ago.

Thumbnail by Happy_1

Happy_1

Happy_1
Fort Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10b)

April 28, 2006
6:18 PM

Post #2230379

That one was Grape Expectations.

This one is Goody Goody

Thumbnail by Happy_1

Happy_1

Happy_1
Fort Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10b)

April 28, 2006
6:19 PM

Post #2230383

This one is great, it's Sparkler

Thumbnail by Happy_1

Happy_1

Happy_1
Fort Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10b)

April 28, 2006
6:20 PM

Post #2230387

And I had to include a new pic of "Sidney"

Now are you all inspired for spring?

Hap

Thumbnail by Happy_1

Happy_1

Happy_1
Fort Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10b)

April 28, 2006
6:21 PM

Post #2230391

Just had to show you the front flower box.

Thumbnail by Happy_1

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

April 28, 2006
6:26 PM

Post #2230411

Hap,
Grape Expectations is gorgeous.! What're those chartreuse plants surrounding it? (I think I'm into chartreuse -- hostas, et al...)

And how do you keep your ferns so healthy? I love ferns. We have a whole bed of them on the front lawn (west), but they always look so dry. I have some on the shaded back patio (east) underneath and alongside the Giant elephant ear. It provides extra shade. I have a Tazmanian fern (Hairy like a tarantula!) that seems to be adjust there quite nicely. But I want more ferns in overall good health back there. Advise, please. Thanks.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

April 28, 2006
6:28 PM

Post #2230418

ok. I THINK I SEE THE CHIPPY!!!
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 28, 2006
6:32 PM

Post #2230425

Absolutely beautiful.
Now for a quick explanation. Let's add to that AFFIRMATION and maybe y'all will get that it's a new truth, not a vow to not get any more.
" I'm happy, I'm healthy and I have more coleus and money than I'll ever need."
Chippy is going to be the death of me yet That DADBURN Rascal!!!
Sidney
Woofens
Dillonvale, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 28, 2006
6:32 PM

Post #2230428

Hap, you must have awesome eyesight, cause I have stared at that picture til my eyes crossed and I don't see no dang chipmunk.

GRRRRRr
Brinda
Yukon, OK
(Zone 7b)

April 28, 2006
6:33 PM

Post #2230430

Oh Hap! I'm certainly inspired!!! Those are beautiful and I'm so in love with your Sidney! Thanks for sharing!!!

BTW...I don't see a chipmunk either!

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

April 28, 2006
6:36 PM

Post #2230436

Hap,
I'm in Zone 8B. We average cold between 50-60 degrees. It'll hold somewhere in there from mid-Sept through October. Then it'll go down to around 45-55 from October through Jan and then add a coupla days that'll dip in the 30s from Jan-Feb. We have more "chilly" days than truly COLD days. Which is why we keep colds in Houston and can't pull out our overcoats!

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

April 28, 2006
6:39 PM

Post #2230443

Directions to the chippy:

Start at the bottom center of the picture. Work your eyes up to that single little green sprig. Locate the bottom LEFT leaf on that sprig. Work SLOOOOOOOWLY down and you'll see what looks like two little dots. Those should be his eyes. If I'm not mistaken, There's your chippy!

P.S. That's his tail sitting on top of that Coleus.

This message was edited Apr 28, 2006 1:43 PM

This message was edited Apr 28, 2006 1:45 PM

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

April 28, 2006
6:48 PM

Post #2230456

Alas, Woofens,
My eyes aren't good enough. Went for a Lasik consultation just yesterday evening, and failed in three major areas, so I'll be wearing these eyeglasses til I die.

And, you know what bothers me? I've worn glasses since I was 12. When was the last time you saw anyone in a casket wearing glasses? Maybe I'll have them positioned on my forehead, like I'm asleep...

P.S. I have NEVER broken a pair of my glasses...
Woofens
Dillonvale, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 28, 2006
6:48 PM

Post #2230457

OMG how did you guys see that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I need new glasses
Woofens
Dillonvale, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 28, 2006
6:50 PM

Post #2230463

I don't break my glasses my kids do. I have been wearing them since age 12 also, and I am not a candidate for lasik since I am near sighted in one eye and farsighted in the other LOL So I'm with you in glasses forever. Actually the last funeral I was at, they had her glasses on her. Her hair was wrong tho :(

Janis

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

April 28, 2006
6:53 PM

Post #2230470

Hap/Sugar,
Do I get a prize for spotting that chippy? Just send me a piece of the chartreuse stuff. or at least tell me what it is. Thanks.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

April 28, 2006
6:54 PM

Post #2230477

Janis,
I'm going to do my own funeral makeup before I die...so they get it right. I sure hope they don't put red lipstick on me...
heathrjoy
Weedville, PA
(Zone 6a)

April 28, 2006
7:09 PM

Post #2230515

Looks like I'm late to the party. Benny, do you have a plan now? Sounds beautiful to me!! :) Tell me more about this Garden Gate mag. I'd like to order a new one. I ordered "Garden Design" (I think that's what it's called) when my neice was selling mags for school. I was very disappointed. It's not what I wanted at all. I'm sure some folks would love it tho. It's not for DIY-ers. It's for folks who want to spend thousands and thousands on A SINGLE pot!! And, here, I thought it was going to show me how to design a garden! Silly me! Can't wait for my subscription to end...then can justify spending $$ on a different one. Sheesh.

Hey, y'all, I'm moving...to Ft. Lauderdale. To a very pretty little bungalow type house...it's a really nice yellowish & stone house w/ planters out front already filled w/ great Coleus! My new family is going to celebrate by taking the whole family on a cruise too! What a great group, huh? he he, see you soon Hap!! ;-D Your place is a DREAM!

Benny, the big difference w/ your ferns may just be that Hap is in FL and you're in TX. Hap has lots of humidity, you've got lots of dry air. Can you put in a mister of some sort that runs automatically? Or can you mist in the morning before work, then after again after work? I picked up a mister bottle that you pump up (what do you call them? duh!)...got it at K-Mart real cheap...love it...plants love it more. It'd be perfect for you. My plants show a difference usually in 2 days when I use it regularly.

I'm not looking for the chipmunk. This reminds me of the "my dog is in every pic I take" thread. Remember that one? How long did we look for the dog? It was never there. Nope, won't look. Won't do it. You can't make me. I refuse to. Ok, I wasn't looking for the chipmunk, but I think there's a snake in the pic. Ha ha ha!!

Thumbnail by heathrjoy

Happy_1

Happy_1
Fort Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10b)

April 28, 2006

Post #2230526

ben,

The chartreuse thingy is sweet potato vine. The ferns are in partial shade and the soil a damp.

Sugar...where is that chippy, anyway?

Happy_1

Happy_1
Fort Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10b)

April 28, 2006
7:16 PM

Post #2230542

Heather, are you really moving to Ft. Lauderdale...If so when? Will you join our Galloping Gardeners? Huh? Huh?
Woofens
Dillonvale, OH
(Zone 6a)

April 28, 2006
7:18 PM

Post #2230551

I think she is moving in to your house Hap!
NoH2O
Everson, WA
(Zone 8a)

April 28, 2006
7:26 PM

Post #2230571

Ahem...has anyone noticed that we only got as far as step 8? That leaves 1192 steps to go.

Hap, I hold you responsible. By the way, you place is gorgeous.
heathrjoy
Weedville, PA
(Zone 6a)

April 28, 2006
7:31 PM

Post #2230586

I would be thrilled to join the Galloping Gardeners. I'll be galloping into town as soon as I can. My new address will be 4833 Happy Coleus Way. Leave the light on for me, k?
heathrjoy
Weedville, PA
(Zone 6a)

April 28, 2006
7:36 PM

Post #2230596

I'm on my way to the nursery. YIPEE! I have to go get ready now...prepare and remember all my Coleus program steps. I think I'm out of Colase tho. I do have some prune juice on hand, would that do the trick?

I'm using the buddy system, in a way. DH is going w/ me, I think just to make sure I don't take out a mortgage on the house or something.

I'll let you know how I do...if I can duck him or not.

Happy_1

Happy_1
Fort Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10b)

April 28, 2006
8:17 PM

Post #2230708

OHHHHHHHHHHHH...I got all excited...POOH.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

April 28, 2006
8:21 PM

Post #2230720

Thanks Hap, I recognize it now. Being a newbie, I get rather frustrated when I see something I like, but can't identify it. I have a 2 Blackie Sweet Potatoe hanging baskets from Lowe's. What cultivar is yours?

Heathrjoy, If you're passing through Houston on your way to Florida, give a shout out. I'll meet you for lunch. P.S. Give the Japanese your forwarding address!

Heathrjoy, below is the url for Garden Gate Magazine. They offer a year's subscription for $20. Six Issues. Go to the website and check them out. Let me know what you think.

P.S. Does anyone agree that the chipmunk is where I said he is? Or am I hallucinating?

http://gardengatemagazine.com/

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

April 28, 2006
8:25 PM

Post #2230730

Heathrjoy,
If you follow Step #4, you won't get to the nursery! You'll have enough "STAYING POWER" to make it clean through tomorrow evening!

Happy_1

Happy_1
Fort Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10b)

April 28, 2006
8:26 PM

Post #2230736

You have to check with Sugar.,.ben... It's her pic

I haven't seen it either.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

April 28, 2006
8:46 PM

Post #2230778

Heathrjoy et al,
Go to this Gardengatemagazine.com website or cli on the link below. Then go to the February 2006 issue link where a video will pop up to show you how to propagate REX BEGONIAS from a leaf cutting! Absolutely fascinating! There are video links all over the sample page! I'm sold on the "how to" videos and I'm ordering my subscription today just for the website tips!

http://gardengatemagazine.com/extras/index.php

Happy_1

Happy_1
Fort Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10b)

April 28, 2006
8:53 PM

Post #2230805

What will step #8 be?

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

April 28, 2006
8:55 PM

Post #2230815

And check out the JUNE 2003 Issue that has step by step instructions for growing a COLEUS STANDARD!

http://gardengatemagazine.com/extras/51coleusstandard.php
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 28, 2006
10:38 PM

Post #2231058

Yep that website is definately related to step 8.
;)

If I could just train Chippy to eat slugs and snails!
se_eds
Millersburg, PA
(Zone 6b)

April 29, 2006
1:12 AM

Post #2231377

Your plants are so beautiful I could cry. Mine are little cuttings rooted in pots at this stage. GG3, you make us Nawtherners soooo jealous. And Hap1 what an honor to get that plaque.

Someone asked what do Northerners do with the coleus in the winter? I sent them to Texas, Utah, Ohio, N and S Carolina, Virginia and other places. My daughter in South Fla. got a box of cuttings and they are still going strong.

By the time I am done growing them all season, I hate to see them die, so ship them off for postage.

Coleus may be an addiction but I have met and corresponded with so many beautiful people through this forum. You all have 'made my day'
Thanks,
Claire
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 29, 2006
9:32 AM

Post #2232233

Claire,
You and all the old and new addictees here 'make my day' often.
That Red Ruffles was the first "Fancy" coleus I got. People came to the door to find it's name. Every since they have pulled the strings of my heart.
Sidney

Happy_1

Happy_1
Fort Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10b)

April 29, 2006
12:00 PM

Post #2232338

And why do we want to get rid of this addiction?
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

April 29, 2006
12:26 PM

Post #2232384

Thats why it's 1200 steps instead of 12. Should take 2 lifetimes to do 1200 steps.
How's that?
Sidney

Happy_1

Happy_1
Fort Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10b)

April 29, 2006
12:39 PM

Post #2232412

I'm OK with that...

Are GG are going on a trip today to a public garden that is having a Plant Sale. Imagine that. Our group shrunk a little but we are still going. Wish you were here.

Hap
patischell
Fort Pierce, FL
(Zone 10a)

April 29, 2006
12:45 PM

Post #2232422

Hap, you taking a semi truck with you? LOL
Pati

Happy_1

Happy_1
Fort Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10b)

April 29, 2006
12:50 PM

Post #2232434

Nope, but I believe a big Ford Ranger...LOL
heathrjoy
Weedville, PA
(Zone 6a)

April 29, 2006
9:16 PM

Post #2233525

Not to worry, the Japanese will always have my address! We are ordering some very nifty planters from Japan...if anyone wants in checkout http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/596241/ You'll want these planters, nothing like them here!! :)

I'm going to check out that site Benny, I'm sure I'll order too...and be busy all nite reading and watching there. I got a great book for ideas at Wal-Mart last night. "Dream Gardens Across America" by BHG. It's mostly cottage gardens, but that's what I love...there's tropical, Japanese water gardens, southwestern and all kinds of stuff covered in it too tho. Tons of ideas...DIY stuff.

I'm sorry I messed w/ you there Hap. If I ever make to near any of you I'll definately give a holler! My sis does live near Benny, and we've vacationed in FL many times (we love Clearwater Beach, across the bridge!!!). My sis is in Beaumont, Benny...not far from Houston at all. If I ever get down her way the 3 of us could cause some havoc, I'm sure! She's not like me, tho, she's crazy!!

I was a good girl at the nursery. I got 2 Mandevillas, a Vinca Vine and some Petunias. I was a bad girl at Wal-Mart tho. I can't even remember everything I got! Seriously. I raided the bulbs...2 Sorbet Peonies, Orange Glads (that had mushy ones in it!!), Purple Glads, Cladiums, 5 four packs of Petunias, 2 pink & purple Dahlias. Then my book and soil and other supplies like new kneepads, gloves, MG liquafeed, Osmocote. Yep, it was stock up time. (Did the same thing w/ groceries too) Now I feel ready for spring! Dh even finished off getting my little gh ready today. I guess we are good to go!

Oh, I got a new attachment for the kitchen sink to make watering pot easier too. I suppose it would make doing dishes easier too. It hooks on the spigot and swivel and goes from sprinkler to steady stream. Can't wait to try it out.

The petals on these turn purple as they age...so gorgeous...I was lucky to get these I think!

Thumbnail by heathrjoy

heathrjoy
Weedville, PA
(Zone 6a)

April 29, 2006
9:17 PM

Post #2233527

This reminds me of a color of lipstick I had as a teenager! LOL!

Thumbnail by heathrjoy

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

May 2, 2006
3:15 PM

Post #2241700

I went to Wally World yesterday, and identified a plant in my garden as Vinca. Also just bought a lantana that Lowe's had on the 75% off discount table. Got about $25 worth of plants for $5. All they needed were a little TLC. I also got two Wave Petunias and some Spike greenery to transplant into the middle of my geraniums down the line, after I bring them back to life. I'm learning these additional little gardeners' enhancements from photos and my DG friends. Gives the display a more polished, professional look. Like I know what I'm doing! Yikes!!!!

Happy_1

Happy_1
Fort Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10b)

May 2, 2006
3:17 PM

Post #2241708

Sounds are though you are on a roll there, Ben...
heathrjoy
Weedville, PA
(Zone 6a)

May 2, 2006
5:11 PM

Post #2242033

Sounds very good Ben!! I'm learning those things too, and it makes a huge difference.

The weather here is finally getting nice and hopefully staying nice and warm. This is hubby's week off, so it's spring cleaning week. Hopefully we can get everything ready to put in the new beds. I just have to figure out how to arrange them. HELP!!

No one has a step #8 yet?

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

May 2, 2006
7:33 PM

Post #2242397

Heathrjoy,
I got the plant "mister" and I'll try it out tonight. Of course, my new DH has FOUR already, parked in the back of his garage. (But MINE is brand new...). And NOT for insecticides.
heathrjoy
Weedville, PA
(Zone 6a)

May 2, 2006
7:41 PM

Post #2242425

Oh, yeah, Benny!! I always label mine what I use them for. One for water, one for chemicals, one for ferts, etc. You'll love that thing! Spray bottles are nice, but they just don't give that fine mist that the plants like. I also find it very relaxing to just walk around spraying everything, and talking to my plants. I also name my plants. :) They all have names, and I call them by name when I talk to them. I know this makes me officially crazy, but that's ok...I enjoy it. When I start to imagine the conversations the plants are having behind my back is when I'll go for help!! ;-P Or maybe just start a regimen of heavy pruning...mwhaahaa (evil laugh).

Happy_1

Happy_1
Fort Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10b)

May 2, 2006
7:49 PM

Post #2242448

TOOOOOOO MUCH...Heather...sure you don't want to move to FL...well, on second thought, I don't think that the state could handle Me + Patischell and you all at one time...ROTFLMBO

I also talk to my plants and They ANSWER me ha, ha...
heathrjoy
Weedville, PA
(Zone 6a)

May 3, 2006
1:36 AM

Post #2243264

Ok, I'm glad I'm not the only one who has experienced that. I was afriad to mention it...I thought y'all might call the white coats on me. I feel much better now. Whew!

I'm looking for all of you in chat...and I'm so lonely. Someone come visit me...please???

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

May 3, 2006
7:46 PM

Post #2245538

I work for a mental health agency, so you've got "in house" representation...

Happy_1

Happy_1
Fort Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10b)

May 3, 2006
8:19 PM

Post #2245630

You say you work there and then you mention "in house"...which is it? LOLOLOL

Hap
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

May 4, 2006
3:46 AM

Post #2247112

I had happier plants when I talked to em, bygum I believe that will perk things up around here.
Sidney

Happy_1

Happy_1
Fort Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10b)

May 4, 2006
9:35 AM

Post #2247411

For sure Sidney...it's been proven they like music,,,classical music.

Good AM...to ya...

Hap

PS, I'd sing to them, but with my voice, they would probably all drop right over...lol

This message was edited May 4, 2006 5:36 AM
heathrjoy
Weedville, PA
(Zone 6a)

May 4, 2006
4:59 PM

Post #2248304

I don't know what I'd do w/out this thread to give me my daily giggle!! Thank you everyone.

Thank you, Benny, for the offer of representation. The only thing is I may take you up on that someday!! LOL

Been spring cleaning outside around here the last few days. Ohh, dh and I are a sad pair...hobbling around from being so sore. Dh offered to help our 80 yr old widow neighbor unload potting soil from her car and she refused saying she'd have the 15 yr old "odd job" neighborhood kid do it, because "He's young." Dh looked at her and said, "What are you trying to say?" I guess we can't hide it anymore! LOL

I know this gets easier as the year goes on, but, wow! I guess I forgot how hard it can be to try to find a comfortable way to sleep when every single muscle is sore!! LOL I wonder how much that 15 yr old charges anyway?

Happy_1

Happy_1
Fort Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10b)

May 4, 2006
6:10 PM

Post #2248463

It's doesn't get easier, sweet Heather, the pills get stronger...LOL
heathrjoy
Weedville, PA
(Zone 6a)

May 5, 2006
12:49 AM

Post #2249505

Hap, that's not funny. If you knew how strong the pills are that I'm starting out on! I'm not kidding on that one. Next step up is back on the muscle relaxers and I don't want to go back there. It's hard to remember who you are when you take them!

Mr. Fluffy Puffy and I worked outside all day today again. We cleaned in the Ivy bed and started cutting back brambles. We hate brambles!! He's such a good puffy, no leash and he stays right w/ me the whole time unless I throw his soccer ball to play fetch.

Tomorrow is looking like more bramble clearing and then digging them out. It looks like our former nieghbors had been letting them grow under their Holly...I was wondering where they showed up from all the sudden. If you don't hear from me for a few days it's because I'll be picking thorns out of my fingers!
TexasLou
Hooks, TX

May 5, 2006
2:04 AM

Post #2249714

I really don't know the names of my coleus but I love to have them in my garden every year----
I guess that qualifies me as an addict too - what a nice feeling !!!!!

Louise

Here's one of the reasons-

Thumbnail by TexasLou

TexasLou
Hooks, TX

May 5, 2006
2:07 AM

Post #2249725

And another reason-

Louise

Thumbnail by TexasLou

TexasLou
Hooks, TX

May 5, 2006
2:09 AM

Post #2249734

And another reason that greets me each morning!

Louise

Thumbnail by TexasLou

TexasLou
Hooks, TX

May 5, 2006
2:11 AM

Post #2249743

Only a couple more reasons for my addiction -

Louise

Thumbnail by TexasLou

TexasLou
Hooks, TX

May 5, 2006
2:16 AM

Post #2249757

And the last one for now -
I thank God for such beautiful color and so easy to grow!

Louise

Thumbnail by TexasLou

heathrjoy
Weedville, PA
(Zone 6a)

May 5, 2006
2:30 AM

Post #2249862

Very, very nice! Soooo colorful! So, that's how they grow 'em in Texas, huh? I might just have to beg for some clippings! :-)

I'm off to transplant more seedlings here. Wish me luck!
TexasLou
Hooks, TX

May 5, 2006
2:39 AM

Post #2249929

heathrjoy,
Were you wanting luck with your transplanting
or with your addiction step #whatever?????
LOL
May your seedlings thrive and
the addiction????? there's probably no hope!!!!!1

Louise
heathrjoy
Weedville, PA
(Zone 6a)

May 5, 2006
6:51 AM

Post #2250370

LOL Louise!! I got 31 baby Coleus potted up and 6 Tomatoes done too. Not too bad. Hopefully I'll get more done tomorrow. If the frost would go away for good I could take them outside and stop all this madness!!

I also want to clean the fish tank tomorrow and get some fish emulsion to brighten them up. I found one tonight that looks orange, he's a favorite already! He'll be nice and stinky from the fish e.

Ok, it's wayyyyyyyyy past my bedtime. ZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Happy_1

Happy_1
Fort Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10b)

May 5, 2006
6:55 AM

Post #2250371

HI Louise,

Welcome to the, "no hope for the addicts form!!!" We can't even remember what step we are on or care really. We just love our coleus...

Yours are really beautiful. Can they grow all year where you are?

Hap

Happy_1

Happy_1
Fort Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10b)

May 5, 2006
6:56 AM

Post #2250373

Now what's your excuse for being up at this hour, Heather?

Hap
heathrjoy
Weedville, PA
(Zone 6a)

May 5, 2006
7:18 AM

Post #2250381

I just got done transplanting. HAD to check DG before hitting the hay! The only time I sat down today was to eat, and while I was eating I was on DG. I admit it, I'm shameless.

Yes, welcome Louise! Join the party. We're all a tad crazy, but be yourself, I'm sure you'll blend in. he he he

Hey, did I mention I f-i-n-a-l-l-y got to start a compost pile? Yippee! I don't even know how it happened, but it did. Now I'm a maniac, you can't throw anything away unless it's synthetic or overly gross. Dh threw out an old celery stalk today! What was he thinking? UGH! I was so disappointed...over garbage.

Happy_1

Happy_1
Fort Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10b)

May 5, 2006
7:27 AM

Post #2250389

You are transplanting at 3am? I just got up to let the dog out, (Rocky Raccoon just passed the window) and he thought he had to go get'em...UGH... Ever see a killer shih tzu?

Just watch for rats with that compost. My next door neighbor was into organic stuff and started one back of the garage. Oh, Mercy. if nothing else, she grew BIG rats.

Back to bed... See ya all later.

Hap
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

May 5, 2006
12:03 PM

Post #2250609

LOL,
I too started a compost pile, but mostly Oak leaves. I think mine will take "activating".
Louise, Welcome
Yes you really have some beauties and are defitately in the right place.
We really love our Coleus and they just keep on pumping color.
Sidney
TexasLou
Hooks, TX

May 5, 2006
2:07 PM

Post #2250929

Thanks for the warm welcome to this thread. I've been
lurking here with the forum on my watch list for a long time.

I didn't know there were soooooo many exotic looking coleus until I went to websites specializing in them. I always thought they were an inexpensive way to get
color all season. Now, I realize they can be a pricey way also. I'll bet there is a lot of cutting trading going on here on DG.
Mine only last here until the first frost, usually late October or early November. I haven't tried to winter them over with cuttings yet but may try after DG and the addiction thing.

We got rain yesterday afternoon and again last night. Wonderful for the plants. Now, to go get my paper, cook my oatmeal and eat breakfast. You notice what I did first upon rising - this DG thing is definitely my addiction.

Louise

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

May 5, 2006
2:26 PM

Post #2250986

I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack... Took a physical health day for doctor visits yesterday. Managed to find a Persian Sheild in Houston, but it had seen better days, so at least know where to buy it when they get some new ones in. Also, I found two NEW COLEUS that I haven't seen mentioned yet!

One is "New Orleans" - in honor of my native home city, which is suffering so much these days.

I forget the name of the other. I'll post when I review it.

I HAVE GOT TO GET A DIGITAL CAMERA! aaaaaaaaaarrrrrgggghh!

I missed you all..

P.S. Home Depot's plant selection is not impressive, at all. Much more at Lowe's...
Brinda
Yukon, OK
(Zone 7b)

May 5, 2006
3:26 PM

Post #2251194

Oh I'm happy your found the persian shield. LOL Everytime I look at mine, I think of you. Someone tell me...can you take cuttings from persian shield? Anyone tried it?

Happy_1

Happy_1
Fort Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10b)

May 5, 2006
4:37 PM

Post #2251398

Yes, I did and I didn't have much luck. Perhaps I used too big of cutting. It doesn't matter now because it has growen to big.

Hap
heathrjoy
Weedville, PA
(Zone 6a)

May 5, 2006
4:53 PM

Post #2251448

Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought Persian Sheild was easy to root from cuttings? I'll look it up later today.

If anyone would like to trade Coleus please let me know, I'd LOVE to when my little seedling are a bit bigger. I'll trade for anything. :)

I just got cut off from my flower funds after my crazy spree. Guess I deserved that. :-( I'll just have to close my eyes whenever I go by a nursery...even if I am driving...it's the only way! Should that be step #8, or #9...whatever # we are on now?

Ok, have to run and get ready for doctor appt.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

May 5, 2006
9:10 PM

Post #2252110

How in the world do you trade a coleus through the mail? Or am I missing a step?

P.S. Heathrjoy, if you exercise Step #4, you'll want to bypass any and ALL GH stops and head directly for home base!

STEP #9: Whenever you anticipate driving past a GH, put on a pair of horse blinders (keep in the glovebox), to keep your eyes focused only the road straight ahead.

Happy_1

Happy_1
Fort Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10b)

May 5, 2006
9:27 PM

Post #2252159

Benny, that's perfect...

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

May 5, 2006
9:29 PM

Post #2252165

Thanks, Hap. Now. How does one trade a coleus? Is it done at the local trade shows? When's the next one in Houston? How do I find one nearby?

Happy_1

Happy_1
Fort Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10b)

May 5, 2006
9:38 PM

Post #2252175

I don't know about trade shows, but I would say that we can't get in or would be interested in by 72 of one kind in a flat. As for mailing, yes some do. I have not had too much luck, but let sugarweed come in here and she will tell, for she's the expert in all that stuff.

Sugar????? Are you there?????

Hap
patischell
Fort Pierce, FL
(Zone 10a)

May 5, 2006
9:41 PM

Post #2252185

Sugar is the BEST at mailing! She sent me Coleus and every one was in perfect condition. Most fun was getting them out of the package! LOL
Pati
heathrjoy
Weedville, PA
(Zone 6a)

May 5, 2006
9:54 PM

Post #2252211

Why would mailing Coleus be so hard? What is it that I'm not foreseeing?
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

May 5, 2006
10:11 PM

Post #2252233

Heather, HEAT!
That's the worst culprit.
I just un-packed 22 from GlassHouseWorks and I am sooooooooooooo disappointed. Whatever was I thinking?
I'll post pictures and then I'll pack a box and take pictures of that.
I will say QVC's Cottage Farms did the best packing of 4 Hydrangeas. They had card board Zs that held the pots perfectly.
I owe a replacement box to someone I sent a box to in Texas in Oct, so I will look her up and send some goodies. I love doing it, but the moon has to be right to get me started.
Gonna run by Jeremy's
See you good folks in an hour or so.
Sidney
patischell
Fort Pierce, FL
(Zone 10a)

May 5, 2006
10:26 PM

Post #2252274

Oh no Sugar!!! I'm waiting on delivery from GHW. I'm only buying 5, but its the "Halloween Bonfire" that's supposed to be so fragil. Sure hope they don't mess up!
Pati
heathrjoy
Weedville, PA
(Zone 6a)

May 5, 2006
10:29 PM

Post #2252281

Heat, huh? Poor babies. That's a hard one to overcome.

Hey, I've got it!!! Have y'all ever heard how they transport animals from coast to coast in rescues? They set up drivers to meet at destination points. They take the animal and drive for their alloted amount of time...however much they have volunteered for. Some folks might drive for 1 hour, others might have the animal for 3 days (like truckers).

Why not Coleus?? We could be the Cross Country Coleus Connection!!

(I hope you all know I'm kidding...unless someone is heading this way...)
patischell
Fort Pierce, FL
(Zone 10a)

May 5, 2006
10:46 PM

Post #2252320

LOL @ heathrjoy!
Pati
georgiagarden3
Arlington, GA
(Zone 8a)

May 5, 2006
11:32 PM

Post #2252407

Step 9 ,Cross Country Coleus Connection!!
The ultimate test is she/he addicted.
I can cover my area , 45 min.from Alabama and Florida
4 hours from South Carliona line...less than 6 hours from Tennesse.
heathrjoy
Weedville, PA
(Zone 6a)

May 5, 2006
11:55 PM

Post #2252473

Ok, here we go...

I have northcentral PA covered. I'm about 1 hour from the NY border, 4 hours from OH. Can be in Pittsburgh in 3 hours (2 if Mark drives!!). I can even go international...Niagara Falls, ON. is only about 5 hours. Washington, D.C. is 5 hours.

I think we need a runner between Phaedra and I to cover TN, then we'll have a good portion of the East Coast covered. I'm sure Hap will chime in soon to cover FL. If anyone is north of me and could cover NY and up let us know!!

Oh, no, we're not addicted!! Hey, if I throw in one of my dogs could we really do this?
Brinda
Yukon, OK
(Zone 7b)

May 6, 2006
1:33 AM

Post #2252738

UHOH Sugar, you're not happy with GHW? That doesn't sound good to me. I'm sitting here patting my foot wondering when my order will arrive. How bad is it?

I have to say that my order from RDG was much more than I expected. They were huge when they got here and even bigger now!
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

May 6, 2006
2:31 AM

Post #2252944

Well, I hope they fill out and color-up nicer than they look today. I refreshed them in tempid water with superthrive. I'll say a prayer once an hour for days.
Here is how they looked after unwraping.
Halloween Bonfire and fishnet stockings were not available until June.
Oh PHOOOOOOOOOEY!!!!
4 bonus ugly ones instead. Also I ordered 2 Japaneese Giants and think I got just one. One had no label, so it might be the second Jap Giant.
Sidney

Thumbnail by sugarweed

heathrjoy
Weedville, PA
(Zone 6a)

May 6, 2006
3:36 AM

Post #2253172

Oh, my, those do look pretty wimpy and unhappy. Poor little guys.
Demstratt
Lincoln Park, MI
(Zone 5a)

May 6, 2006
3:50 AM

Post #2253202

I sure would call them and let them know...I ordered from them once and everything died...No matter how much TLC I gave them...

Happy_1

Happy_1
Fort Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10b)

May 6, 2006
11:17 AM

Post #2253592

Sugar...at least they're big...LOL
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

May 6, 2006
9:56 PM

Post #2254516

Yea, Hap, I've killed misquetoes bigger than these plants.
Sidney
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

May 7, 2006
2:14 AM

Post #2255152

Here is the one Darius brought me at a RU. No name, but beautiful.
Sidney

Thumbnail by sugarweed

sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

May 7, 2006
2:19 AM

Post #2255171

These 15 still have to be planted

Thumbnail by sugarweed

Brinda
Yukon, OK
(Zone 7b)

May 7, 2006
2:40 AM

Post #2255232

Sidney, they are all beautiful...but the one from Darius is gorgeous!!!
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

May 7, 2006
2:43 AM

Post #2255237

Thanks Brinda,
She brought me about 50 of those. They were GH plugs of about 1 inch.
Sidney
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

May 7, 2006
2:49 AM

Post #2255252

"Sidney" is looking exceptionally well this spring too. Thanks Hap!!!!!!!
Sidney

Thumbnail by sugarweed

NoH2O
Everson, WA
(Zone 8a)

May 7, 2006
4:37 AM

Post #2255583

Nice picture, Sidney!
heathrjoy
Weedville, PA
(Zone 6a)

May 7, 2006
5:20 AM

Post #2255685

Oh, guys and gals. What a long, strange trip it's been today! Where is everyone?? I need some giggles.

First, the wake up after only 4 hours sleep...that means an ouchy day w/ the back. Mark comes in from work at 7AM to tell me someone stole 1/2 of one of our landscaping lights. With further inspection it turns out they stole 1 1/2 lights. Ugh. Call the Police...not because I think I'll actually get them back, but to report it because...the little jerks might come back (and the cops always say "Well, why didn't you call before?"), and we have 3 widow women who are over 80 for neighbors, And they may have hit someone else's house and I want the damage tally to be complete, AND these creeps were right in my front yard like 2 inches from my porch...where my Doberdude walks every dang day!! AHHH!!!

I really wasn't all that mad, more astounded at the nerve of people. They actually took the light apart in our yard and set the parts they didn't want on our sidewalk...had they not done that I know Mark never would have noticed the lights missing.

So, the Police Officer comes to the house. I'm on the porch to meet him (grooming plants, of course)...that way the dogs won't start howling and wake Mark who just went to bed and begged me not to call the Police. I even had a printed out copy of the Lowe's flyer w/ a pic and price of our lights...they were in this weeks flyer!! LOL!! (we get them online) Officer says that is really good to have for his report. We do the paper work stuff, he writes everything down. I make a comment about my Doberman and fencing in the yard and letting the dog run 24-7 so no creeps come around. We start talking about dogs...next thing I know we are on the porch drinking coffee! Next thing I know we are in the garden! LOL! Next thing I know it's 2 hours later and he's saying he'll stop back for the Fuchsia cutting!!! As he's leaving I ask his name, since his name tag was covered by his coat. He says it's Frank. I ask where he's from, he says. I say, "NO WAY! I'm related to the Frank's from there!" Oh, sheesh. He's my cousin's husband's brother. (small towns around here) So then we had to go thru the family and "How's so and so?" Yes, everyone was laughing at me all day. It's ok, I think I might get the lights back...he said he has a good idea who has them. ROTFLOL! (Oh, just so y'all know, before I knew he was somehow dangling from the family tree...he's older than my father, so no comments about that!)

That was a nice visit, and a new friend. Come inside, get warmed up. Answer the phone. Someone who thinks they are way more important than they are acting is giving me a very hard time about not much of anything. I have nothing to do with the situation. Want to tell him where he can put it...but am polite. Hang up phone. Can't get on DG. Grrrr. Answer phone, politely. Same guy. Grrrr. Screaming HELLO into phone. He can't hear me. I can hear him and who he's talking to. Hmmm, interesting what he's saying...listen for a while. Take it ALL in. I know who he's talking about. VERY interesting, indeed!! Oh, my.

Fast Forward to later that day...Mark wakes up. Tell him about phone calls. He finds them interesting too. He calls someone who was there when the calls were made, finds out they were made on a Blackberry. Oh, more interesting. The guy has a new Blackberry and doesn't know how to use it. He hits redial and doesn't know it. He calls the Blackberry owner...the guy talks forever, won't shut up...blab, blab, blab...Mark finally asks him if he's using his new Blackberry. Tells the guy he hits redial and he doesn't know it. The guy says he does know it because 2 other people have told him (duh!). Mark then tells him he should be careful what he's saying after he hits redial, especially if he's just called his supervisor or manager (Mark knows them). Suddenly the guy has to go. I hope he got the point and NEVER calls here again.

I don't usually go for stuff like that, but this guy was just downright mean for no reason...he all but swore at me...and I offered to wake Mark up for him.

Then I went to my brother's w/ the Fluffy Puffy and we had a cookout and played w/ plants. I had to show my SIL where she planted stuff last year, he he he. Then came home and covered all my tender plants because it's going down to 30* tonight!! Brr.

Relived a drama that played out on DG a few months ago when someone's name came up in a thread completely unexpected. Someone who lives in another country and threatened to sue me for defamation of character. He had his barrister contact me thru my eBay account when all this happened months ago. How professional it was, as were the misspellings in his e-mail. That was upsetting to say the least. Things were not handled well. Let's leave it at that.

All this on 4 hours sleep and lots of pain pills. I'm ready for bed and I'm NOT answering the phone!! But, if the dogs bark tonight I'll be out there in a flash w/ a baseball bat and a Doberman! Come to think of it, I'm letting Samson sleep on the couch tonight and I may even let him answer my phone and my e-mails! I'm going to bed before I can't make it up the steps.

Hazy hugs,
Heather

Happy_1

Happy_1
Fort Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10b)

May 7, 2006
11:18 AM

Post #2255910

Heather.

What a day. I hope you have slept in today.

Hap
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

May 7, 2006
3:05 PM

Post #2256366

Here a new thread for us to continue our "Healing" http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/599545/
Sidney

This message was edited May 7, 2006 11:06 AM

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

May 8, 2006
6:30 PM

Post #2260043

How do I keep my leaves from falling into the damp soil and rotting, especially when I'm trying to root new cuttings? I need new watering techniques. Do you guys just mist or something? Maybe I'm overwatering cause two of them developed damping off at the soil line and just broke off in my hand. Bummer...
heathrjoy
Weedville, PA
(Zone 6a)

May 8, 2006
9:41 PM

Post #2260323

OMGosh, I just wrote you one of my nice long posts and it got eaten. Sheesh. This place just loves me, I'll tell you what. I hope it doesn't show up later and need to be edited.

What I said was something like this...

I'm no Coleus expert, we all know that. I do know a couple things about damping off tho.

You should be bottom watering, not top watering. You should also have a fan running in your plant room for air circulation. Don't point the fan right at the plants so it blows on them, but if it oscilates and breezes past them that is fine.

I use Chick Grit on a lot of my stuff. You can get it at feed stores. Put a 1/4" thick top dressing of it on top of the soil to prevent damp off.

To prevent and to stop damp off you can use Ground Cinnamon or Chamomile Tea...I used both. Both are natural antifungals. Just sprinkle Cinnamon on top of the soil. I spray w/ the tea and also water w/ it sometimes. Just don't spray w/ anything and then let sit under bright light.

Some folks also use H2O2. I can't remember the recipe for sure, I think it's 1 tablespoon H2O2 to 1 gallon H2O. That's 3% H2O2 from the drug store. Some say that's great to use if you've overwaterd...also great to get more oyxgen to the roots, etc. I don't know, don't want to argue about all that stuff. To each his own. I know that H2O2 is unstable...because of the extra O. All the discussions are about what happens to the extra O when the H2O2 breaks down. I have some 50% H2O2 here, so I'm very unstable when I start to break down! he he he

From all I've read "they" say if you don't have good air circulation it doesn't matter what you do, you'll have damp off. I just set up a fan last week. Most places have them on sale right now since they are in stock but no one is buying them yet. Check out the dollar store if you don't have one on hand.

I think that was everything I mentioned earlier. If I remember something else I'll post it.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

May 9, 2006
1:32 PM

Post #2262114

You are such a "JOY!"
Sorry to hear about your light trouble.
Glad you met a relative and made a new friend.
Had a dog who would help a robber carry the stuff out of my house if he needed help...
What is H202? I suspect it's hydrogen peroxide?
I also was about to begin bottom watering the coleus out of desperation!

LUV YAH!

Happy_1

Happy_1
Fort Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10b)

May 9, 2006
1:40 PM

Post #2262132

Hey guys...we have a new thread. See link above...
sugarweed
Jacksonville & Okeec, FL
(Zone 9a)

May 9, 2006
2:10 PM

Post #2262215

Heather and Benjamin come over here and I'll add my two cents
http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/599545/
Sidney
heathrjoy
Weedville, PA
(Zone 6a)

May 9, 2006
6:45 PM

Post #2263006

Benny, just in case you check here, H2O2 is hydrogen peroxide. I just prefer to say H2O2 cuz it's easier to speeeeellll. he he he
Brinda
Yukon, OK
(Zone 7b)

April 1, 2007
11:24 PM

Post #3345550

I thought I'd bump this up for everyone, since it's that time of year for all the addicts to start coming out of the woodwork! LOL
DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

April 2, 2007
8:20 PM

Post #3348674

Hi my name is Dale and you all are a bunch of coleus addicts, you should take up drinking and driving like I did.

Thumbnail by DaleTheGardener

eskinola
Glen Riddle Lima, PA

April 2, 2007
8:26 PM

Post #3348708

you're crazy dale. but in a good way;)

talk about crazy addicts. i just signed up for the coleus co-op. am i crazy? i'm going to feel like Juanita in a couple weeks. started preparing the flats already. i do most of my indoor gardening late at night when hubby and baby are asleep. i usually stop when i go upstairs to get a drink and see the clock reading 3am. and then i go to sleep and dream of coleus...
MUST...PINCH...COLEUS... MUST... SAVE... PINCHED CUTTINGS... MUST ROOT CUTTINGS...

dale, as usual, the garden pictures are beautiful and make me pine for warmer spring weather...

joy
DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

April 3, 2007
8:21 PM

Post #3352257

Joy, the latest rage in coleus---rooted cuttings.

I can get you 4" plants (limited slection) for 12.50 for a tray of 15. Mixed or single color. And then I would ship them to you!!

Hidden coleus-

eskinola
Glen Riddle Lima, PA

April 3, 2007
9:00 PM

Post #3352358

dale,

i shouldn't really be asking since i will have tons of cuttings to root and ton still to transplant, but what cultivars of coleus?

you're a bad man. a very, very, very bad man LOL.

joy
DaleTheGardener
Tampa, FL
(Zone 10a)

April 3, 2007
10:15 PM

Post #3352691

I'm bad. so very bad. And I'm glad.

check this site, click on 'availability' http://www.american-farms.com/

georgiagarden3
Arlington, GA
(Zone 8a)

August 8, 2007
5:19 PM

Post #3832901

Bump!
Brinda
Yukon, OK
(Zone 7b)

August 8, 2007
5:23 PM

Post #3832923

LOL I love to bump!
Brinda
Yukon, OK
(Zone 7b)

March 11, 2008
3:07 AM

Post #4649044

bump

Happy_1

Happy_1
Fort Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10b)

March 11, 2008
12:57 PM

Post #4649902

It's wonderful to see this thread back. It was so much fun. can we do some more?

Any one game?

Hap
Brinda
Yukon, OK
(Zone 7b)

March 11, 2008
1:11 PM

Post #4649935

I gotta find the naked lady story... does anyone remember where it is? For some reason, I was thinking it was around the time that tobee was with us. Do you remember Sidney?

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Coleus Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
OFA Containers goodoldbake 61 Jul 17, 2010 5:21 AM
Tree- shaped coleus Tomtom 67 Mar 23, 2011 8:41 AM
New project georgiagarden3 26 Apr 3, 2007 8:06 AM
Coleus standards..how to.. Eclipse 44 Feb 15, 2009 1:10 PM
how to take coleus cuttings tigerlily123 257 Oct 2, 2012 9:57 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America