What do you think about the cattle quarentine in TX

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

Just read about the quarentine of some cattle in TX because of the possibility that they have been fed feed that contained products made from other bovines. Just curious what you feed your cattle and what you think about the Mad Cow thing.

This is the article I read...
http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/nm/20010128/sc/madcow_usa_dc_1.html

Karla

Philadelphia, PA(Zone 6b)

Thanks Kmom for the article. It does caution us to think about our meat products and practices. Hopefully, though, this country won't see any positive outbreaks of the disease, which would be disastrous. I did hear on the news one night about the wild horses out west and there was some concern about the buyers getting them for human consumption, due to the mad cow threat. I only caught the end of the news piece so I don't know the full story. It seems that there is also a surge in home and commercial rabbit meat production and the Fed govt is spending more to encourage this alternative meat market. If the threat continues in this country with more quarantines, then I will most likely go back to raising New Zealands for our own meat and forget the beef.
Trish

From what I've been reading, if you have a herd of many generations that you *know* has been pasture fed (no comercial feed), then you should be "safe". I hope so. I'm a carnivor and I really enjoy beef. Another reason I'm hoping to farm and raise our own. Of course, have to be careful who the original stock comes from, but after that, at least you have control over what you put into your animals.

Anyway, just my opinions.

Baker City, OR(Zone 5b)

I believe the feed companies know that cutting corners on this issue can have catistrophic results for them money wise, and I think they will be more careful. Personally I think the chances of any of us getting mad cow disease are more remote than being hit by lightening. I plan to keep eating steak whenever the opportunity presents itself. We do raise our own beef, but if hubby takes me out to eat I won't think twice before ordering that steak.

Greetings ~
An update on the article...
http://dailynews.yahoo.com/h/nm/20010131/sc/madcow_usa_dc_14.html
And, no, I don't have any problems with a good, juicy steak, myself :-)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images