Corn burning stoves

Brussels, WI

Has anyone had any experience with these? What's the best one? My husband and I just added a sunroom to our home and need to heat it in the winter. We thought this would be a good choice, but there are so many different models!

Any advice would help!

Sunlover19

Snoqualmie, WA

Have you learned any more? I just posted elsewhere looking for information on Greenwood furnace (http://www.greenwoodfurnace.com). It is confusing -- this one seems pretty good, but I am looking for someone who has used one. WP

Coralville, IA

Hello;

Yes, we have had a fantastic experience with our corn burning stove here in Iowa City. I would highly recommend getting one. I figured that we will pay off the stove in about 3 years. We purchased ours from Century Farm Harvest Heat in Iowa City. We went with a St. Croix Auburn. We chose this brand because of the 90lb hopper (I don't want to fill it too often), the reliability of the company, and the easy maintenance. I would contact Ed Williams at Century Farm Harvest Heat. His website address is http://harvest-heat.com. He is an expert in this area. I would also look at stoves by Harman. Very reliable and they put out quite a bit of heat. If you are looking for a stove with little to no maintenance, automatic ignition, and automatic clinker drops, check out Bixby stoves.

If corn is not cheap in your area, look at wood pellet stoves from these manufacturers. They are also very reliable and will save you money in the long run

Good luck

Tellico Plains, TN(Zone 7b)

This is new to me. Corn burning ?

Cobs or what ? ( hope not popcorn ...... lol )

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Here's a good article on pellet stoves
http://tinyurl.com/ym9na3

Thanks Darius ;-)

What is corn fuel actually or should I ask in what form is it ?

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Scoots, I really have no idea. I did have a friend with a pellet stove... small wood pellets that went down a big screw thingy into a hopper, much like the old coal furnaces used.

Lisbon, IA(Zone 5a)

We just installed a 100000 - 165000 BTU corn furnace and my house has never been as toasty. :) We burn shelled corn. My corn furnace is not as picky about it's corn as a corn stove is. With corn stoves you need to make sure your corn is cleaned well (no fines or cobs, etc). Both want the corn to be about 13 - 15% dry. Our furnace will handle bits of cob if it makes it through the auger. With a corn stove you pretty much have to load it with corn each day (unless it is a model that has a bigger hopper for storage), with our furnace there is a 14 bushel corn hopper that sits next to the furnace and augers the corn in as needed. Corn stoves are great for heating, but require more attention than the furnace does. If you have access to corn (ie grow it or know someone who grows it) it can be more cost efficient than other forms of fuel.

Now, all that said, for your purposes you'll probably want to go the corn stove route and not the furnace route. My furnace, while it's nice, is not the prettiest thing I've ever seen. Looks just like a furnace. duh. They make some really nice decorative corn stoves and depending on how much you want to spend you can get ones with all the bells and whistles or ones that serve only the primary purpose in heating. I would advise you to get a stove that can burn both corn or pellets or a mix of both. That way, you're not tied to one thing to burn in the stove.

Diann

Gee , Thanks Diann . I appreciate the info.

Thumbnail by scooterbug
Lisbon, IA(Zone 5a)

Even with the corn being $3.25 a bushel right now, I'm still going to cut my heating bill in about half... and anyone that comes to my house is warned to dress lightly cause it's warm in there. :) Just google corn stoves and you'll get a ton of information on them. :)

Diann

Greensboro, AL

Here in the SOUTH we use corn for other reasons. We burn wood.You can look up outside wood furnaces and find all kinds. I am looking into getting one to supply my greenhouse with heat also.

*snort*

Glennie, MI(Zone 5a)

WE had 8.8 below last night and our greenhouse was 45 in it . I have the thernostate set at 40. Nothing growing in there yet.
Hubby had our outside wood furnace hooked to it Our house was a toasty 72.
IWe were thinking of corn,but decided to go with the wood. There is a guy about 30 miles away who is burning old hay and corn cobs in his.
It`s running us about 600 dollars worth of wood , heating October to middle of May.
Aleta

Lisbon, IA(Zone 5a)

We looked at the exterior wood burners too, but, this corn furnace was easier for us to install. And since I'm surrounded on three sides by corn fields.. well... Besides, we only have to fill the hopper about every five days. This unit will burn wood pellets and other bio-mass fuels if we so wish. If we had been surrounded by timber an exterior wood burner would have probably seriously considered. However, we really didn't want a giant out house looking thing right outside the back door. There wasn't a good place to put it where it wouldn't be belching smoke into the house every time you opened the back door. To each their own, I'm happy with our choice. :)

Diann

Mechanicsville, IA

Diann
Did you buy your corn furnace there at that place in Lisbon?
what brand did you get? I was thinking of replacing my wood furnace with a corn furnace...
if so how was the experience...
kel

Lisbon, IA(Zone 5a)

We got our corn furnace from a guy in DeWitt. Same brand as the guy in Lisbon sells, but we liked the guy in DeWitt better. It cost us about $6400.00 installed, that was furnace, bin, chimney liner, black pipe and some duct work. Of course, there were some other expenses like buying a used gravity feed wagon, some modifications to the wagon, some PVC pipe to pipe the corn from the wagon into the house, dust collection system in the house and a blower to blow the corn from the wagon to the house. And of course, the corn. If you grow your own corn this system is the way to go. While the price of corn is higher than it was a year ago by $2/bushel, it's still cheaper for us to heat with corn than with natural gas, and the house is warmer... :) Corn would have to get up to $5.50/bushel to make heating cost comparable to natural gas. Through the end of November through the first part of January we burned a little over 2 bushel a day. This last six weeks we've been burning closer to 3 and 4 bushel a day. But the house is toasty warm... I've attached a link to the guy we bought our furnace from. We really liked him.

http://www.hrgcornfurnaces.com/

Diann

Kankakee, IL(Zone 5a)

Can you add the corn ashes to your garden?

Lisbon, IA(Zone 5a)

I think you can, but I tend not to add anything like that to my gardens. My husband got carried away adding wood ash to a peony patch and all but killed them off...

Diann

Arthur, ND

Diann,
What is the brand of corn furnace you installed that is 100,000-165,000 BTU? I am looking at adding a add on corn furnace and am overwhelmed by the brands, options, etc. What type of feed system does your stove have, a bottom auger feed or top feed? How often do you have to clean?

Thanks alot!!!
Mike

Lisbon, IA(Zone 5a)

Mike, this is what we have...

http://www.cornheat.com/ (this is the manufacturer)

http://www.hrgcornfurnaces.com/ (this is the guy we bought it from)

This should give you the skinny on the system. All I know is that when we use this furnace our house is toasty warm. :)

Diann

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images