Photo by Melody

Pacific Northwest Gardening: Anyone want some fish?

Communities > Forums > Pacific Northwest Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Pacific Northwest GardeningReplies: 33, Views: 509
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Pixydish
Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

April 26, 2006
7:33 AM

Post #2222287

I have four very nice large comets looking for a new home. They are about 5-6 inches long already, and a mixture of white and red, white and orange. Two have longer fins. These are very nice fish, but they are all males and are running my female shubunkin to death. They simply need to go to a different pond. I'm going to offer them on freecycle but I wanted to offer to any DGer in this area first. In this photo from last summer, you can see three of them. The are the comets that have two colors. They are bigger now, of course.

Thumbnail by Pixydish
Click the image for an enlarged view.

happyoutside
Tonasket, WA
(Zone 5a)

April 26, 2006
11:36 AM

Post #2222469

Nice looking bunch there. I'm still working on getting rid of two more gold fish. I have 10 koi one shubunkin,one orange capped Oronda, and four gold fish except one is pure white or I guess more like pinkish. Throw in a pix of your pond?
Pixydish
Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

April 26, 2006
3:20 PM

Post #2223131

Well, I'm going to freecycle theses babies to new homes if no one here wants to adopt them. Here's the pond. This was last year when the pond was fairly new. Just now we are working on a deck overlooking the water to the right of the pond, right where that boulder is.

Thumbnail by Pixydish

bluelytes
Olympia, WA
(Zone 8b)

April 26, 2006
4:03 PM

Post #2223265

PIXY, (In the FAKE Lakewood, hehehe),
Are they sushi grade??? lol

Best;
Blue

Sue_WA

Sue_WA
Seattle, WA
(Zone 8a)

April 26, 2006
4:19 PM

Post #2223356

Wow Pixydish, your pond looks great. I hope you find good homes for your babies.
Gwendalou
Langley, WA
(Zone 7b)

April 26, 2006
4:28 PM

Post #2223393

Pixy, I would take them if you can wait til we meet up for one of the round ups! I would love to have fish in my pond - we haven't put any in yet.

Your pond and greenhouse area are so pretty!

Gwen
Pixydish
Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

April 26, 2006
5:02 PM

Post #2223498

Blue, nobody eats my fish!! LOL Thanks, Sue.

Gwen, I will save them for you!! I would love for them to go to a home I know! Is it possible that you will be coming down to help pack plants? I think May 6 will be the day, although I can't really be totally positive until the plants are shipped on May 1. How big is your pond? I also have some really cute shubunkin babies that are going to need homes. They are the cutest little fish ever right now. They hatched last year and are a mix of colors. Momma fish is the white one in the photo (The Lovely Lade Lily - she's such a charmer!) . They are only about 3/4 inch long right now and take after their mother. Lots of white with blotches of color. Some are probably comet/shubunkin mixes, but some are likely pure shubunkin, too. I gave a ton of them away last year, but I couldn't catch them all. I'm only keeping one or two since I'll be having more this year.
If you know you want the comets, I'll put a couple in the whiskey barrel water garden and leave the other two in the pond until later.
Pixy - Lost between Lakewoods :)

Thumbnail by Pixydish

Gwendalou
Langley, WA
(Zone 7b)

April 26, 2006
6:11 PM

Post #2223711

I'll take whatever you're giving away. Our pond is big enough to accommodate quite a few, since we don't have any at all!

I'm not sure on the 5/6 date yet. I'm involved now in taking my son up to Oak Harbor 4 times a week for lifeguard lessons!!! Big drag as I just have to sit there and wait while he's in there. On the weekends, it's four hours Sat and Sun! Maybe I can get my husband to take him on that date. We also have a school fundraiser coming up which I thought was on that Sat but when I looked at the calendar, the dates don't match up. I'm surprised they'd have a fundraiser on a Sun, so I have to double check that too.

But aren't you coming to the Whidbey Island Garden Tour RU? I know that isn't til near the end of June. When do you need to get rid of little fishes?

Gwen
happyoutside
Tonasket, WA
(Zone 5a)

April 27, 2006
12:21 AM

Post #2224800

Very nice pond Pixy, When I get mine cleand better I'll try and get a pic posted.
Debbie
drtdgr
Tacoma, WA

April 27, 2006
2:00 AM

Post #2225423

Pixiedish, I would love to have some of your shubunkin babies. A heron ate poor Pinkie and Speckles last year. I have a large pond and live in Tacoma. I would be glad to pick them up. Susan
bluelytes
Olympia, WA
(Zone 8b)

April 27, 2006
2:43 AM

Post #2225593

Greenhouse??? PIXY has a GREENHOUSE??? Hmmmmmmmm...
Actually, BETWEEN the two lakewoods would be more like Mountlake Terrace, hehehe :P

Do you ALWAYS get lost DO EASY, PIX?? ;)

Best;
Blue

Soferdig
Kalispell, MT
(Zone 4b)

April 27, 2006
4:08 AM

Post #2225781

Nice setting for a pond and greenhouse. I don't see any room for all the plants you are ordering from the big bag place. I have 2 ponds and can't even put in a gold fish. Between my cats and dogs, I also have about 10 different Raptors in my garden.
Pixydish
Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

April 27, 2006
5:50 AM

Post #2225898

Okay, Gwen. I'll dmail you when I have more info on the plant packing date and time. I can save some fish for you for the roundup, but I'll need to give two of the larger ones away before then. I don't want them in the pond because they are breeding my poor Lily like crazy. I feel bad about it because they are so cute! But I put two of the big ones in my half barrel water garden and they'll do fine there until the round up in June. I'll have babies by then, too, probably.
DRTDGR, I'll dmail you! You are welcome to some fish. Believe me, I have plenty. Poor Pinkie and Speckles! What are you going to do for cover from the herons? I had a kingfisher here and he was very frustrated because I saw him before he got any of my fishies. We can talk predator cover when you come for the fish. Goodie!

Yes, Blue, I have a greenhouse and I just love it!! The only thing I wish is that I had bought polycarbonate twinwall instead of glass, but I really wanted the look of the glass. So I love the glass in the summer and spring, and I insulate in the winter. It's the most money I've ever spent on myself, and I would do it again in an instant! BTW, you are imagining that other lakewood up north. It doesn't really exist at all. It is an imagination destination!!!

Sofer, too bad about your raptors. I have dogs and cats, too, and lots of raptors(hawks, merlin, owls, kestral), but they don't bother my fish. The only raptor I have around here that is a fish eater is bald eagles. One flew low over the pond the other day, but I think there isn't enough room for him to make a strike. We have a lot of lakes here in LAKEWOOD (just for blue) and he has happier fishing grounds than my pond. When all the plants died back for the winter, I was worried about cover for the fish. I put in some floating stryofoam 'islands' that I made by using 2 inch stryrofoam insulation and cutting holes in them to sink pots into. They are ugly, but they worked. The only thing that has been a threat so far is the kingfisher, but the 'islands' thwarted him nicely. He was so mad he divebombed me as I came out of the greenhouse. But he left and hasn't been back.
What protects the fish the most from the land animals is the depth of the pond. It's three feet deep in the middle, and the walls go straight down.
flkoifarm
Sarasota, FL

November 28, 2007
11:28 PM

Post #4240622

Did these fish ever find a good home? lol
Pixydish
Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

November 29, 2007
12:41 AM

Post #4241015

Yes, they did! Now I have a few more that need a home, but I'm waiting until next year to give them away. They will have their colors then. I also have some baby shubunkins that need a home. I took all of the male comets out this year, so I saw only two baby fish all season. Whew!
flkoifarm
Sarasota, FL

November 29, 2007
1:43 AM

Post #4241245

It seems like your gonna need a bigger pond =]
Pixydish
Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

November 29, 2007
3:29 AM

Post #4241635

No way!! LOL!! I can barely take care of this one, thanks! That's why I gave away all the male comets. They were the ones making all the 'trouble' in the pond. I think the two babies that I have from this year are shubunkin/comet mixes. Some of the babies from last year are getting big and they are going to find new places in the spring. I don't want to overload the pond with fish, but it's fun to have the babies and see which ones I want to keep. The koi have not mated yet, I don't think they are big enough. Maybe next year. The one at the top in this photo is my favorite koi. I call him Nishiki, but there's no reason why in particular. It just seemed like a good name for him. His colors are great and he is a very calm fish. Unless I lose a koi, God forbid, I only want one more: I want a black and white longfinned koi with ginrin. I haven't seen any yet that really grab me, which is good because I will have to save up to buy one of those. The place where I bought Coco and Twinkle have long finned koi, so I will check there in the spring.

Thumbnail by Pixydish

cattledogs
Kingston, WA

December 2, 2007
3:29 AM

Post #4252474

hi Guys this is Heidi with Dragonfly Farms, If you still need homes for your fish they are always welcome here. I have the big natural pond down below with a probably 2 pound koi in it and my little 5 year old freind lily has seen turtles down there which is pretty cool. I also hope to build another pond this winter. Hope to see you all again in the spring. Heidi and Dragonfly
flkoifarm
Sarasota, FL

December 2, 2007
1:00 PM

Post #4253031

The koi will get eaten by the turtles!
cattledogs
Kingston, WA

December 2, 2007
6:12 PM

Post #4253826

Hi I didn't know that the pond is big maybe 200 feet by 50 and 8-10 feet deep. The turtles aren't very big and I haven't seen them. I think the darn blue heron is more of a problem or the racoons. Wish I was in Florida it is still snowing here. Thanks Heidi
Pixydish
Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

December 2, 2007
9:14 PM

Post #4254521

Hi there ,Heidi!!
I'm sure I will have some shubunkins that are big enough to come up and live in your pond come spring. I'll email you next before I come up and see if you still want them.
flkoifarm, no need to worry about the koi and turtles up this way. We don't have snapping turtles and our turtles don't get very big. Unless the fish are very tiny, they are safe from turtles up here. Yes, the blue heron is more of a problem. And racoons. But if the pond is deep, racoons shouldn't be a problem,

velveteena
Seattle, WA

May 20, 2009
4:27 AM

Post #6573166

Which Lakewood is the FAKE Lakewood? I have been assuming Pixy was in the one near Tacoma?
Pixydish
Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

May 20, 2009
4:16 PM

Post #6574740

Yep, I'm in the one near Tacoma. That 'fake' Lakewood refers back to some joking around with an old dg member, no longer with us, who used to tell me that the 'real' Lakewood was north of Seattle.
thistledownfarm
North Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8b)

May 21, 2009
1:05 AM

Post #6576730

I live in the real Lakewood, north of Seattle. Blink and you'll miss us.
Pixydish
Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

May 21, 2009
5:08 AM

Post #6577660

LOL! Well, if you blink and miss us, you won't be sorry!
PNWMountainGirl
(Sharon)SouthPrairie, WA
(Zone 7a)

May 23, 2009
9:01 PM

Post #6588119

Pixydish, I'm not sure RJ has seen this thread, or how current it is, but there is a very big pond between our two yards that could accommodate lots of goldfish. I have given her all of the ones that "snuck" into my koi pond, but she definitely wants more. I would hesitate about shubinkins, however, as we are very rural and have the normal predators. I remember when I lived in F Way and added some to a shallow pond that I had. Had never seen a kingfisher in the yard before, but he cleaned out the goldfish that like to hang out on the surface within a week's time!
Pixydish
Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

May 24, 2009
7:55 PM

Post #6591793

I may have a couple of comets for her later. This is an old thread so i don't have nearly the fish I once had. But there are two male comets that escaped my net last year and are taking up koi space. If I ever get the motivation to net them, I'll post here.
Last spring I lost 5 fish, koi and shubunkins, to a heron and a kingfisher. This year I have put a net over the middle part of the pond and haven't lost any. I saw the kingfisher one time, but when he saw me he flew off and I haven't seen him since. Racoons haven't bothered my pond in 3 years after one or more of them fell into the water when trying to get the fish. Wish I had been there to see it!
PNWMountainGirl
(Sharon)SouthPrairie, WA
(Zone 7a)

May 24, 2009
9:32 PM

Post #6592106

Melissa, I know what you are going through. A few years back we took a trip in Feb and came back to a dozen koi all cleaned out. That was really hard as they all had names, etc. The neighbor said he saw the heron there every morning when he went by on his way to work at 9. Since then, my DDH first added nets with white pvc pipe, and finally the ones in this picture with the black (and more appealing) round edging. I also string fishing wire across the entire pond. So far, so good. The one goldfdish in this pic is the only remaining one in the koi pond and I haven't been too worried to get him out as he is the only one left. Once the water lilies start growing it is a real pain to net anything out. I have one pretty ugly koi baby from last year that I should do something about, too. I have three babies now that are about 2 inches long that look like they will be better. Obviously, something gets most of the eggs.

Thumbnail by PNWMountainGirl

Pixydish
Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

May 26, 2009
5:33 AM

Post #6598652

I'm using black bird netting in the deep part, and fishing line in the shallows. It's a pain to look at, but I want the fish to be safe. We also have a lot of eagles in the area and, although I really, really love them, I don't want to share my fish with them. My koi have been breeding this year for the first time. I have no idea if any eggs will survive. The koi will eat their eggs and also their fry. But I have a lot of plants in the shallow end and possibly some will survive there. I hate to lose fish that are named. All of mine are named, too, as were the ones who were taken. I can only hope they didn't suffer much.
PNWMountainGirl
(Sharon)SouthPrairie, WA
(Zone 7a)

May 26, 2009
2:37 PM

Post #6599554

I assume my koi are breeding, too, though I haven't seen much of the telltale activity. I am perhaps a little later than you, with my cooler shaded area. I have at least three babies from last year, about 3 inches long now, and one (an ugly one, of course) from the previous year who has really grown fast and is now about 10 inches long.
Have you actually had eagles approach the pond? We have some in the area, too, but have never seen them very close, just soaring on high. We are also wondering about our barred owl pair. It seems they hang around Julie's big pond a bit.
PNWMountainGirl
(Sharon)SouthPrairie, WA
(Zone 7a)

May 26, 2009
2:40 PM

Post #6599566

Whoops, guess I repeated myself a bit!
I wonder, do you think the frogs and toads might eat the eggs, too? When they spawn there must be zillions of eggs in there.
Pixydish
Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

May 27, 2009
2:29 AM

Post #6602556

I don't know about frogs and toads, I don't think so. But I wouldn't put it passed the owls. Koi can eat a lot of their own eggs so even without help, not many survive. Too bad one of the ones that survived for you is an ugly one, but maybe it has a good personality? Also, maybe an ugly duckling type. I got a Walmart koi from my sister ( I had to rescue it because she had it in a 10 gallon aquarium and I couldn't bear it any longer.) It has turned out to be a very beautiful fish now that it's bigger.
PNWMountainGirl
(Sharon)SouthPrairie, WA
(Zone 7a)

May 27, 2009
3:38 AM

Post #6602846

Unfortunatley, no. His personality is non-existant as of now. I always count when I feed them, and he is still the hardest to find, even tho he is getting to be a good size. (Note, as I did, that I gave him a gender!)
How many babies have you actually had survive?
Pixydish
Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

May 27, 2009
5:38 AM

Post #6603140

In the last two years I have given away probably 50 fish, all comets and shubunkins. After the first year with the pond, I gave all of my comets away, except for the two that somehow escaped my net and are still in there. They are both male, though, and still do not even have any color to them, being a muddy brown. That's why I couldn't see them. I decided that I didn't need that many baby fish so the comets had to go. Then last year all the shubunkins except one became bird food. I was very unhappy about that as one of them was a beautiful white fish with a large spot of color on her side. We named her Lily and she was extremely graceful. The one shubunkin I have left is also a beautiful fish, and a male. So the only females I have are two of the koi. I cannot tell if eggs have actually been laid, although I would bet they have because the females have been the size of baby whales lately. Behavior indicates that they have had two breeding cycles. I still don't know if there are babies in the pond.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Pacific Northwest Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cannas and Agapanthus in the PNW? SalemSunshine 14 Mar 1, 2011 10:08 PM
Tomatoes - when to transplant? Leehallfae 16 Oct 23, 2010 9:33 PM
Does bamboo grow in Spokane? Adriaan 24 Oct 30, 2007 5:38 AM
only one bloom on my rhododendron this year JoieM 27 Jul 11, 2007 3:51 AM
transplanting asparagus shinegirl36 10 Aug 8, 2009 4:00 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America