Pulsatilla with palmately disected leaves

Saint Bonifacius, MN(Zone 4a)

What species would it be?

Seems it would be a fairly simple identifying characteristic. I lost my label on this seedling. Anyone have a good pulsatilla key?

North East England, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

Do you have a picture? I'll have a look and see what I can find out.

Well, it seems there is much confused information on pulsatilla species! It could be patens, ambigua, multifida, nuttalliana, hirsutissima, ludoviciana, occidentalis or plain old vulgaris. Over to you..

I did take a film picture, so it needs to be developed. And of the flower too(not so unusual). I guess I erroneously thought that palmate leaf structure would be an easy identification. Of the species you listed, only vulgaris is on the list of seeds I planted. But everyone knows how infallible seed package labels are. Most came from NARGS. These are the species "possibilities," from the seed I planted:
albana
halleri ssp. slavica
bungeana
cernua
pratense
vulgaris
turczaninovii
(and not that every species came up, mind you)

The flower was basically white, with some purple veination, and petals very rounded(to an oval shape). Flower upfacing. I do have a pic of it in bud:

Thumbnail by Leftwood

As you may be thinking, that's not a typical Pulsatilla bud, either. This is P. halleri ssp. slavica with a more typical bud form.

Thumbnail by Leftwood

It looks a very interesting flower with those brown hairs, from my amateurish eyes not like vulgaris which are the pulsatilla I have. I hope you do find out what it is. I see both are in pots. Are they indoors?

This will be my first vulgaris rubra to bloom

Thumbnail by Galanthophile

Pots stay outside all winter. These plants are getting planted in the ground . . . today, in fact. Also have turczaninovii blooming in a pot now. Can't wait 'til I post pics. Dare I say, it is true blue?

You MUST post a picture of that!

Here I am. Just got my pictures back, and ready to do just that. But first, the original impetus of this thread:

Thumbnail by Leftwood

Not EXACTLY palmate, I know. But for a pulsatilla, it's close.
Now Pulsatilla halleri ssp. slavica.

Thumbnail by Leftwood

And now the real sweetie in the next two pics. My all time favorite (until I fall in love with another of God's creations.)
Pulsatilla turczaninovii

Thumbnail by Leftwood

And in full bloom:

Thumbnail by Leftwood
(Zone 4a)

Beautiful!

Inspiring!

Oh my that is a beauty! I reckon I have to have the halleri as that might be easier to obtain. Thanks.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.