Photo by Melody

African Violets and Gesneriads: Pictures of a few FUN EASY Gesneriads yo Grow !

Communities > Forums > African Violets and Gesneriads
bookmark
Forum: African Violets and GesneriadsReplies: 44, Views: 187
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Allison_FL
Dunedin, FL
(Zone 10b)

April 28, 2006
12:16 PM

Post #2229317

I trans-planted a Grey Lady out of a pan pot into a 6 inch hanging pot!
~ Next Surgery today an Alsobia Cygnet that has zillions of babies !

Thumbnail by Allison_FL
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Allison_FL
Dunedin, FL
(Zone 10b)

April 28, 2006
12:23 PM

Post #2229339

Grey Lady is soft and pretty. Her deep orange flowers with deep yellow throat has little red/orange polka dots. She is one of the Prettiest Epsicas to grow !

Thumbnail by Allison_FL

Allison_FL
Dunedin, FL
(Zone 10b)

April 28, 2006
12:31 PM

Post #2229358

Out of focus Chocolate Soldier. It's in a five inch pan pot blooming and has many buds. I'll get a better picture after.

Thumbnail by Allison_FL

Allison_FL
Dunedin, FL
(Zone 10b)

April 28, 2006
12:43 PM

Post #2229396

Chirita 'Chastity' Easy grower always blooming !

Thumbnail by Allison_FL

Allison_FL
Dunedin, FL
(Zone 10b)

April 28, 2006
12:50 PM

Post #2229418

Her parents ~ C. 'Chastity' is a hybrid of C. longgangensis and C. flavimaculata.
See them here ; http://www.gesneriads.ca/chirit55.htm
~ I took these pictures this morning before the sun came up not good light . I need to take more soon with better light.

Thumbnail by Allison_FL

Allison_FL
Dunedin, FL
(Zone 10b)

April 28, 2006
12:58 PM

Post #2229440

Alice showing off this morning. She has pretty deep red flowers with yellow throats. She was the first Flame Violet I bought a couple years ago. She is a great grower and grown in a good enviroment shwos no bounderies.

Thumbnail by Allison_FL

Allison_FL
Dunedin, FL
(Zone 10b)

April 28, 2006
1:09 PM

Post #2229462

I always must add new pictures of my baby Chriita sinensis 'Hisako'

Thumbnail by Allison_FL

Allison_FL
Dunedin, FL
(Zone 10b)

April 28, 2006
1:14 PM

Post #2229476

Cheery morning flowers

Thumbnail by Allison_FL

Allison_FL
Dunedin, FL
(Zone 10b)

April 28, 2006
1:19 PM

Post #2229493

My first Nematanthus

Thumbnail by Allison_FL

aprilwillis
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

April 28, 2006
1:21 PM

Post #2229497

Allison! Hisako has beautiful leaves and Alice is gorgeous! Do you put most epescias in pan pots?
Allison_FL
Dunedin, FL
(Zone 10b)

April 28, 2006
1:24 PM

Post #2229503

She has dep maroon variegation on the back of each leaf. She has lot's of buds so hope she will be blooming soon :))

Thumbnail by Allison_FL

Allison_FL
Dunedin, FL
(Zone 10b)

April 28, 2006
1:25 PM

Post #2229507

Yes I like them in pan pots once their big enough, and I like them in hanging baskets too !
Allison_FL
Dunedin, FL
(Zone 10b)

April 28, 2006
1:27 PM

Post #2229513

Thanks April I am so happy I got Chriita sinensis 'Hisako' my first Chrita ! I saw a picture and had to have it ! I enjoy it everyday !
Spider07
Lilburn, GA

April 28, 2006
2:11 PM

Post #2229649

Allison, I potted up the grey lady you sent me last saturday. Do you think they will be rooted by now?
begoniacrazii
Northern California, CA
(Zone 9a)

April 28, 2006
2:48 PM

Post #2229744

Ooohh Waving hand over here, if you have an extra alsobia pretty please would you put a baby down for me?
Thanks for sharing your photos! I can only dream to have episcias that big. I'm trying some at the greenhouse in San Francisco to see how they do down there.

stownes
Mansfield, TX
(Zone 8a)

April 28, 2006
2:52 PM

Post #2229756

Oh Wow!! That maroon variegation is gorgeous.
Allison_FL
Dunedin, FL
(Zone 10b)

April 28, 2006
4:40 PM

Post #2230092

I have lot's of Alsobia Cygnets !
Here is a better picture of the deep Marron foliage :))
Today I was looking at pictures of Streptocarpus plants and there was one with red back foliage ! If I remember right it was one of those ‘Unifoliar’ Streps !

Thumbnail by Allison_FL

Allison_FL
Dunedin, FL
(Zone 10b)

April 29, 2006
10:59 AM

Post #2232277

I wanted to re-post this picture of my Chriita sinensis 'Hisako' back mid Oct. 2005. See how much she has grown ! And I bought her smaller around Begin Sept. I have taken dozen of more leaves off to grow plants to share or to share the leaves ! She is a wonderous fun enjoyable plant to grow !
In this picture from Mid Oct 2005 she is in a 5 inch pan pot the same pot she is in now !

Thumbnail by Allison_FL

Allison_FL
Dunedin, FL
(Zone 10b)

April 29, 2006
11:01 AM

Post #2232278

Today to operate on an Alsobia Cygnet in a pan pot with zillions of babies. All babies will come off and I think she is going into a 6 inch hanging pot :))
I'll take pictures :))
Allison_FL
Dunedin, FL
(Zone 10b)

May 4, 2006
4:28 PM

Post #2248213

Lorry I just ordered a nice clip on grow light single to hang over my new and only Nematanthus :)) I know it has some window light but it will need a lot of light to flower. As spectacluar as this plant is and her flowers the lamp I am getting for her is well worth it :))
Allison_FL
Dunedin, FL
(Zone 10b)

May 4, 2006
4:33 PM

Post #2248227

This is the one I ordered . My understand reading it slow over it comes with the first gro light !
I ordered the 60 watt one.
http://www.homeharvest.com/spotgrowlightbulbs.htm
lovesdaylilies
Roopville, GA
(Zone 7b)

May 4, 2006
8:46 PM

Post #2248859

oohhhhhhhhhhhh i love alsobia cygnet!!!!!!!! i just love the foilage!!!!!!!!! :)

kelly
Allison_FL
Dunedin, FL
(Zone 10b)

May 4, 2006
9:04 PM

Post #2248912

You don't have one Kelly ?? I have extras growing ! I can send you one. I think I have extra Teddy Bear and Grey Lady I can send you also :))

Thumbnail by Allison_FL

Woofens
Dillonvale, OH
(Zone 6a)

May 4, 2006
9:04 PM

Post #2248914

That is SO awesome Allison! Nver seeen anything like it beofre!

Hugs,
Janis
Allison_FL
Dunedin, FL
(Zone 10b)

May 4, 2006
9:09 PM

Post #2248936

I can send one to you also Janis :)
Woofens
Dillonvale, OH
(Zone 6a)

May 4, 2006
9:29 PM

Post #2248996

Allison, you are just too sweet :) Next time I come south, you are gonna have a visitor :))

Huggers!

Janis
lovesdaylilies
Roopville, GA
(Zone 7b)

May 4, 2006
10:09 PM

Post #2249101

allison i would love it! no i don't have anything in the a.v family other than a.v's. i am new to this whole area. i don't have many inside plants.
lovesdaylilies
Roopville, GA
(Zone 7b)

May 4, 2006
10:21 PM

Post #2249134

okay here is picture of my houseplants on stand. see all the a.v. leaves down i think 11 have babies right now! so exciting! i do have a chairita 'hisako' leaf from lorry that just produced a baby! that is the only thing close to an a.v. other than leaves and babies and 2 adult a.v.'s that i own. i have just started collecting houseplants again this year. i lost all of mine in a move in feb. 2005 they got to cold during move and died on me.

Thumbnail by lovesdaylilies

lovesdaylilies
Roopville, GA
(Zone 7b)

May 4, 2006
11:25 PM

Post #2249274

outdoor stand. these are the only 2 stands i have right now. i have a 10 gallon terrarium with some cacti and succulents but what you see on these 2 stands is my plant collection :) the good thing about having a small collection is the fun of adding lol :) i have to add very little at a time because with 3 small children there isn't a lot of money left over. i know you have been there since you have children also.

lovesdaylilies
Roopville, GA
(Zone 7b)

May 4, 2006
11:26 PM

Post #2249285

closeup of top look at the cute small pencil cactus. i love the little tiny pots. sorry for posting picts. on your thread just wanted you to see :)

Allison_FL
Dunedin, FL
(Zone 10b)

May 5, 2006
1:54 AM

Post #2249689

Wonderful plants and babies Kelly :))
Thanks for sharing ! You can post pictures on my thread or any where anytime you want !
If you can be patient I can send you some plants but there is now like 9 boxes before you. One box can take me hours to packs so I can only get them out one speed SLOW
lovesdaylilies
Roopville, GA
(Zone 7b)

May 5, 2006
2:26 AM

Post #2249790

allison no problem. i would not rush something you are so kind to give me!

kelly
Allison_FL
Dunedin, FL
(Zone 10b)

May 5, 2006
10:09 AM

Post #2250457

Thanks Kelly for your patience :))
Chris_Lorry
Vero Beach, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 5, 2006
10:57 AM

Post #2250491

Cool Allison :) I am so glad you like her!
Mine is in my back porch, hanging from the ceiling :)
Allison_FL
Dunedin, FL
(Zone 10b)

May 5, 2006
11:42 AM

Post #2250557

Kelly when the kids are grown and your elsderly or disabled and on a fixed income there is even less $$$ .
You work hard two jobs all yuour life ( I did anyways I was a struggling single Mom ) Only to become disabled and lose everything, or elderly . I don't think many stage in life except if you have a lot of money is easy for anyone.
But when your on SSD and SSI there is not many ways to squeeze $$$ out of. I depend on our electric bill to be lower to have some leaf and plant money :))
And also extremly Blessed Friends keep sending me leaves so I may have the joy of growing babies and sharing them :))
But I sure do understand we live on a string month to month. I don't even let it bother me as there is a mansion waiting for me in Heaven :))
Allison_FL
Dunedin, FL
(Zone 10b)

May 5, 2006
11:47 AM

Post #2250566

Lorry I do love her my fisr and only one ! Thank you ever so much for sending her to me :)) I enjoy her each day. Trailer ceiling are not good for heavy hangers, I did not want her outside I want to enjoy her. So right now she is on a stand of her own from one of the mini greenhouses with plastic off . She's on the top and seems very happy. Each day she is more perky I know she is smiling. Though there are lots of widnows only half of her is in the front so I wanted her to have more good light. She's one of a kind beauty to me, I never dreamed of having such a beautiful plant and I want to make sure I take perfect care of her. I can't wait for her to get lots of flowers :))
Thanks for all the other plants and zilliosn of leaves too Lorry ! Your a great Peep !
Allison
lovesdaylilies
Roopville, GA
(Zone 7b)

May 5, 2006
12:02 PM

Post #2250607

allison with the price of living i agree with you unless you have lots of money any stage is hard. isn't all the sharing on this board just great!!!!!!! you are so kind to everyone as many others are as well. i can't wait to get my plants built up and big enough to share with people :) allison you don't worry about sending me a box. i know you have your hands full and send to so many people. i just enjoy getting to know each of you and learning from you and that is enough for me :)

lorry so kind of you to share with allison :) it made me feel so good when you shared with me :)
Allison_FL
Dunedin, FL
(Zone 10b)

May 5, 2006
12:09 PM

Post #2250616

Oh Kelly with your leaves you will have zilliosn of babies ! That's how I started and the plants I share I grow all by leaf :)) Many times one leaf gives me several babies !
Oh no I want to send you a big box as long as you don't mind waiting as I have a lot of others to go out first. I love sharing my babies :))
lovesdaylilies
Roopville, GA
(Zone 7b)

May 5, 2006
12:17 PM

Post #2250631

allison i have a question...my leaves from jan were my first put down and i put 2 leaves in 9 oz. cups. they each had many babies and look crowded. is this okay? how many babies it okay to a cup? and also are babies like moms and don't like water on their leaves? i don't have any wicked.
Allison_FL
Dunedin, FL
(Zone 10b)

May 5, 2006
2:45 PM

Post #2251051

Well sometimes I have put two leaves in a cup if they were small or I was tired . But later I had to separate them and re-pot each Mom and baby into their own new cup and soil. Then they grew more and better.
Each time I do this I say not again they grow better with one. I have so many cups stock full babies up an inch or more waiting for me to get to them. I just have too many.
You may want to take each mom with her babies and put them into their own cups for awhile to give each baby to have a chance to have a good healthy start on life. I don't like to separate them too soon. To me it's like a premature baby. Yes they live but if kept longer with Mom the are stronger and less setback when transplanted into their own pots. I either put them and sit them in a box of water and bottom water them or gently push a leaf aside to water them.
Also they can surprise you and be more wet in there then you think.
pomantics
Oneonta, AL
(Zone 7b)

October 2, 2011
3:37 PM

Post #8833211

I am new here. I have been looking around to find the kinds of flowers that I grow on here. I am so happy to have found this group. I also have an ALICE that I have had for years in a 55 Gal Aquarium where it must be in heaven because it and the FROSTY(I think) bloom almost constantly. Getting pics to share.
bsimpson1972
Chicago, IL
(Zone 6a)

October 2, 2011
4:47 PM

Post #8833273

Welcome to the group! :)

Check out the "(insert month here) photos and chit/chat threads! Lots of cool pics and info!

Olaf
pomantics
Oneonta, AL
(Zone 7b)

October 2, 2011
5:36 PM

Post #8833359

Hope I am doing this right...Thank you! I am glad to have found you. Here is my pink Alice and not sure about the other 2 names. All are in a 55 gal tank with grow lights on top. They have been there for over 10 years. The one on the middle was over run by the far left and just disappeared about 2 months ago. Guess I was lax in tending the poor thing. At times I have not given them the care they needed yet they have mostly thrived. The grow light gives them amazing color and the humidity seems to work. When mold or any problem has shown up I just open the aquarium lid and it disappears quickly on its own. I will send the pic of the pne on the right in next reply.

Thumbnail by pomantics

bsimpson1972
Chicago, IL
(Zone 6a)

October 2, 2011
5:43 PM

Post #8833367

Those are some very nice looking Episcias! Congrats! :)
lbrabec
(Lynn) Omaha, NE
(Zone 5a)

October 2, 2011
6:25 PM

Post #8833401

Welcome ^_^. The thread you found is 5 years old.Come on over and join us here,

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1223320/

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other African Violets and Gesneriads Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
My Brag of the Day... MsCritterkeeper 17 Jun 6, 2007 2:14 PM
advice on TRAILERS from Violet Gallery critterologist 57 Feb 5, 2010 9:56 PM
test thread for sticky, never mind me begoniacrazii 90 Apr 11, 2011 3:40 PM
All Other Gesneriad Care & Related Links begoniacrazii 2 Apr 11, 2011 3:15 PM
Streptocarpus seedling progress Keyring 127 Jun 9, 2007 2:52 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America