Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Mid-Atlantic Gardening: thoughts on shady vines and under the porch

Communities > Forums > Mid-Atlantic Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Mid-Atlantic GardeningReplies: 7, Views: 5
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
bluesjuls
Harrisonburg, VA

April 28, 2006
4:38 PM

Post #2230084

I'm hoping to put a vine on the chain link fence around my dog pen. It's in a shady spot. I did a little research and found climbing hydranga and star jasmine. Anybody have any other thoughts?

I've also got an unsightly area under my front porch steps of bare dirt. Weeds some times come up through it, one determined little mimosa tree I'm just going to have to kill, some scrabbly crab grass and the like. My fiance and I are going to run a soaker hose to the front flower beds on either side of the porsh so the hose will go right under the porch. I'm trying to think of something interesting that will grow there...maybe a moss? Irish Moss, Scotish Moss and baby tear's, although baby's tears maybe to tender for me. Other things I found surfing around: Laurentia, creeping dogwood, sweet woodruff,
rewood sorrel, wild ginger

Shirley1md
Ellicott City, MD
(Zone 7a)

April 28, 2006
5:14 PM

Post #2230191

My first answer would be shade loving Clematis vines. Chalk Hill Clematis Nursery offers a list of Clematis that thrive in a partly shady location. Climbing Hydrangea are lovely, but they take several years to get established and start blooming. Star Jasmine would be beautiful, but does it need more sun?

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

April 28, 2006
5:52 PM

Post #2230306

blue,
Just be careful that whatever is put on the chain link fence doesn't fall into the "toxic" category - unless it's a distance from the dog's pen. Mints always make a great ground cover...and then some...LOL The vinca vines always stay "fresh" looking and suprise you thought-out the season with their teeny-tiny flowers.
Chantell
roxroe
Winchester, VA
(Zone 6b)

April 28, 2006
7:27 PM

Post #2230575

for your bare patch of dirt consider ajuga or sweet woodruff (the later if you are sure you want it). Also had good luck with snow on the mountain
levilyla
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

May 3, 2006
12:08 PM

Post #2244260

mondo grass looks good all the time and would be good under your porch. For a vine around the dog pen try Akebia quinata or Bignonia capreolata.
ldy_gardenermd
Highland, MD
(Zone 7a)

May 4, 2006
12:28 AM

Post #2246232

Be warned about vinca vine, it can take over in a hurry! Also maybe not something you want to think of the nicer it is under the porch the more welcoming it can be to snakes and other critters. We cheated and put lattice up around the bottom of our porch as dh hated the idea of snakes living under the porch lol!

As for the vine how about a native clemitis or maybe the native wisteria?
levilyla
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

May 4, 2006
11:38 AM

Post #2247532

Wisteria will take her porch down
roxroe
Winchester, VA
(Zone 6b)

May 10, 2006
9:17 PM

Post #2266547

it is working on mine as we speak

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Mid-Atlantic Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Mid-Atlantic Gardening forum Terry 51 Jan 6, 2009 12:54 AM
Happy Hollow trip in MD who's in??? magoobu 48 Apr 26, 2007 12:41 PM
rocks??? nikki_conway 68 Jan 18, 2011 6:26 PM
Liriope - evergreen here? pennefeather 18 Aug 2, 2010 6:18 AM
Pineapple sage recipe to share. ladygardener1 18 Nov 5, 2010 4:03 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America