Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Poultry and Livestock: 911 - baby Bantam

Communities > Forums > Poultry and Livestock
bookmark
Forum: Poultry and LivestockReplies: 4, Views: 1
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
SherryLike
SE Arky
United States
(Zone 8a)

April 29, 2006
2:24 PM

Post #2232636

Our three hens have 9 new babies. One baby isn't progressing like the others - if it was a Golden baby, I'd give it white karo, but I don't know if that is appropriate for baby chicks. Any suggestions??? TIA!! Any other suggestions regarding their care will be sincerely appreciated too - if there is already a thread, please send the addy. Thanks again...
SherryLike
SE Arky
United States
(Zone 8a)

April 29, 2006
3:48 PM

Post #2232852

We dried the baby, it is raining, put it back under the momma and our recent check revealed that the baby is smaller than the others, seems very healthy, already eating baby food, but one of it's legs isn't working properly. I hope the next time we check that it's better. I would say this baby is a last day egg - the other 9 are all about the same size. The first 24 hours has passed. We have hand fed and watered the hens, All the babies are eating, growing. How much time should pass before one would reasonably believe all the eggs that are going to hatch, have hatched?? While we have fed all the hens/chicks and we have watered the hens, but none of the hens seems one bit interested in leaving their nests. My grand girls & niece, three 11 year olds, and one 14, have managed all the chickens - I check behind them, but after 6 full months and the hatchings, they know the ropes well. They have been attempting to hatch in an incubator, but have had zero luck after many tries. So, our goal with the the three hens and 18 eggs was not ambitious, if we had a singleton baby, we would have been happy campers, so 10 chicks, so far, is like the world's best Christmas and they are adorable...and what luck that they were hatched Friday, so they have the weekend to enjoy them...
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

April 30, 2006
3:59 AM

Post #2234609

Sherry, sorry i was gone all day and missed your post. i hope the littlest chick is well. i have one named Tiny. He still is, but he doesn't know it!

Here is the link i use for first aid problems. you might need it if the chick has a foot or leg problem:

http://www.msstate.edu/dept/poultry/extsoln.htm

oops, that's good, but not for feet! try this:

http://www.guineafowl.com/fritsfarm/guineas/problems/

i hope this helps, and i am so glad you all have the chicks to enjoy thiis weekend. at almost 6 weeks old, we are still enjoying ours everyday...

;-)
tf
SherryLike
SE Arky
United States
(Zone 8a)

April 30, 2006
7:36 PM

Post #2236005

Thanks Tam!! The baby is fine, by night, yesterday, it was standing without wobbling and today it is hopping around, it's small, but basically they are all about the same size, we think Little Hen, smallest hen we have, is the mother of the majority of the chicks because many are marked with a little gray and she's the only chick in the yard with gray. So, that baby is fine and we have one with an eye that has been slow to open but it's about 1/2 open now and I expect it to open on up, we'll see. I'm pleased to have the sites and have marked them for future reference. We are really enjoying the babies and cannot believe they finally hatched...I appreciate your reply!!!!!!!
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

May 1, 2006
4:54 AM

Post #2237422

i think i used vaseline with good success getting the eye opened, just put a great big glob on their, they will rub at it gently enough to open it wihtout huritng themselves...

keep in mind the one that is hopping around seems better now, but [as i just recently experienced, could be in trouble later. go ahead and do the splint, and watch carefully that is doesn't tire out easily. keep the food and water REALLY close so she doesn't have far to go to either.

we had one named Quarter [please don't ask me how we come up with names, i have very imaginative boys], and at first he was a little splayed, i put a badage on, but too far apart, and he couldn't walk in it, so i took it off. after about a week of being separate with just a few chicks, , he was getting along great, and i let more chicks in with them. he tired out, gave up, and dehydrated quickly... i will try to post a pic of him with his splint.

my situation was different than yours, since mine were in a brooder... just watnted to share this info for you or someone else. Quarter was a real sweetie. I saw he was giving up, and i held him in my hand near a heat lamp so he was warm dry and comfortable, and breathing well. but he just decided to leave...

this picture shows as close as i could get of the splint when done right [took me a few tries] i read somewhere, and this helped, to cut a standard BandAid in two long pieces. the guaze part is how far apart there feet should be, closer than you would think. and you wrap the sticky part around the legs...

Thumbnail by TamaraFaye
Click the image for an enlarged view.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Poultry and Livestock Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Raising Keets (baby guineas) TamaraFaye 39 Apr 29, 2012 1:19 PM
Guineas moved into new home TamaraFaye 91 Jun 7, 2008 9:31 PM
What should I do for my sick hen? Tammy 51 Dec 16, 2007 8:55 PM
Sheep losing wool KathyJo 16 May 7, 2008 11:37 PM
Anyone raise rabbits ? PeggieK 41 Jul 10, 2008 12:07 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America