Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
icebud
Memphis, TN

July 16, 2001
5:35 AM

Post #8550

My grandmother had a couple of these in Ohio, they were either old timer or old time roses they were a small rose with delicate looking leaves. Any help with the name of these or where to find them would be great. Thanks
Kathleen
Panama, NY
(Zone 5a)

July 16, 2001
8:32 PM

Post #95272

What color? Prickles? If yellow, they could be Harison's Yellow, four to five feet high and three to four foot wide. If pink or cream, they could be a pimpinellifolia or spinosissima, pimpinellifolia are about 4 feet high and columnular, spinosissima have more of an arching silouette and the leaves are larger. How big were the bushes? Were they shrub size or miniatures?

And, by the way, welcome to Dave's Garden!
Kathleen
sunflower
Olive Branch, MS
(Zone 7b)

July 17, 2001
4:30 PM

Post #95562

You might want to check out the best rose search database on the web, HelpMeFind http://www.helpmefind.com/sites/rrr/rosetest.html but since there are over 12,000 roses in commerce currently, and tons more than that that have fallen by the wayside, it may be difficult to find out more about your rose unless you have more clues. Would it be possible to go back to your grandmother's and root some? Often, if you actually have a specimen example, it's lots easier to ID, but still it's not always possible. But, at least you'd have some of your grandmother's roses.
Tomatoguy

August 11, 2001
10:43 PM

Post #109117

I grow a hybrid tea called Oldtimer (or Old Timer?) It has large bronze to gold colored flowers. The repeat is a bit slow and I believe that there may be better roses than this in the color class, but I do like the color.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Roses Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
A Rose Bush Called Betty Boop Carol7 20 Jun 5, 2014 10:15 AM
Rose Hip/Seed Question Bloomer 7 Oct 23, 2009 10:35 PM
I Maimed my Zepherine Droughin Climber! :o( gardenwife 20 Jul 30, 2012 11:17 AM
Bayer Rose & Flower Care paulgrow 27 Sep 19, 2012 6:34 AM
Any such thing as a blue rose? discodancer4 11 Mar 7, 2010 11:06 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America