Photo by Melody

PlantFiles Pictures: Virginia Bluebells, Virginia Cowslip, Lungwort Oysterleaf (Mertensia virginica)

Communities > Forums > PlantFiles Pictures
bookmark
Forum: PlantFiles PicturesReplies: 3, Views: 9
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
tcfromky
Mercer, PA
(Zone 5a)

May 1, 2006
2:46 AM

Post #2237172

Virginia Bluebells, Virginia Cowslip, Lungwort Oysterleaf
Mertensia virginica

Beautifully blue Virginia Bluebells bloom in early spring here in the northeast.

http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/1543/

Thumbnail by tcfromky
Click the image for an enlarged view.

kniphofia
Morpeth
United Kingdom
(Zone 8a)

May 1, 2006
10:18 AM

Post #2237645

I really must put some of these in my garden, they're such a lovely blue.

Are these like some pulmonarias in that the flower buds start off pink and then turn to blue as they mature? I took this photo at a local garden center this weekend and the buds were very pink.

Thumbnail by kniphofia

irmaly
boone, NC
(Zone 5b)

May 1, 2006
2:25 PM

Post #2238199

Great shot, tcfromky!!

I submitted a photo to Plant Files just yesterday of my patch of bluebells. I have put in quite a few over the years because the nurseries here have them this time of year and then dump them for practically nothing once they've bloomed because, as you know, once they've bloomed, they disappear completely. The garden centers tell me most folks don't want a plant that blooms, then disappears for the season, so I have bought them for around 25 cents each after the bloom is gone and foliage starts to go.

kniphofia, they start out blue and then change to pink as the flower ages. Here is my pic:

Thumbnail by irmaly

tcfromky
Mercer, PA
(Zone 5a)

May 3, 2006
8:34 PM

Post #2245665

Two more lovers of Virginia bluebells doubles my pleasure.

Thankee kindly irmaly and kniphofia.

TC

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other PlantFiles Pictures Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Japanese Silver Grass, Miscanthus, Eulalia, Maiden Grass, Zebra Grass (Miscanthu hczone6 2 Oct 4, 2010 7:21 PM
Feather Reed Grass (Calamagrostis acutiflora) hczone6 1 Mar 23, 2009 1:36 PM
Lanceleaf Coreopsis, Tickseed Coreopsis (Coreopsis lanceolata) dave 1 Jul 18, 2010 11:26 AM
Angels Trumpet 'Estella' (Brugmansia B. x candida) monika 7 Mar 24, 2011 7:32 AM
Angels Trumpet 'Grand Marnier' (Brugmansia B. x candida) monika 1 Apr 24, 2011 6:42 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America