Photo by Melody

Carnivorous Plants: Let's make a little bog garden!

Communities > Forums > Carnivorous Plants
bookmark
Forum: Carnivorous PlantsReplies: 31, Views: 515
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Pixydish
Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

May 1, 2006
6:30 AM

Post #2237519

Having no appropriate place a this time for a large bog garden, I've opted to do two smaller versions. Both of these can be lifted and stored in the greenhouse if necessary over the winter.
Here's the process I used for these gardens.

I had this liner from the pond section at the local hardware store. I bought this last year for something, can't remember what, and it was taking up room in the greenhouse. I used my root knife to puncture the bottom several times for slow drainage.

This message was edited Apr 30, 2006 11:31 PM

Thumbnail by Pixydish
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Pixydish
Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

May 1, 2006
6:33 AM

Post #2237525

I wanted this flush with the ground, so I dug a hole for it and made sure it was level and that there were no sharp rocks to poke the bottom. Then I put it in the hole and filled in around it with dirt, firming the dirt to support the liner.

Thumbnail by Pixydish

Pixydish
Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

May 1, 2006
6:38 AM

Post #2237533

I filled this with a mixture of washed sand/peat moss/ spagnum moss and whatever was in the pots that all the CP's were already planted in. This would have been basically the same mixture, but some had pumice (the white stuff you see in the photo) and some had activated charcoal. I'm going to topdress with sphagnum moss, but I ran out of it.
The plants are still small and just coming out of dormancy. They are in full sun.

Thumbnail by Pixydish

Pixydish
Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

May 1, 2006
6:43 AM

Post #2237536

Here is my other special bog garden, built just for Philcula's plants! This one is a large tupperware container lined with pond liner. There are drainage holes in the bottom and the soil mix is peat/sphagnum/washed sand with some charcoal and whatever I had left of the pumice mixed in. You can see that I already have two new pitchers at the rear.
This is a new garden area for 'special' plants that I've put in at the rear of the stream. We are just finishing a deck overlooking the pond and I can sit right by this little bog garden and look at it. The area is large enough that I can enlarge the bog as the plants grow.

Thumbnail by Pixydish

GSkinner
Lucedale, MS
(Zone 8b)

May 1, 2006
12:13 PM

Post #2237789

They look great! I done the same thing with a fish tank that had cracked down the side and it's working great.
How long have you had those plants from Philcula? They are so big and full.
Equilibrium

May 2, 2006
12:27 AM

Post #2240183

good girls. you both need more now/

you are sliding down the cp hole at a rapid rate if you are digging holes in yoiur ground. this is a very good sign, very goo d indeed.
Pixydish
Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

May 2, 2006
4:09 AM

Post #2240871

Just trying to keep you entertained, Lauren! I got tired of seeing all the little pots here and there and decided everything would be happier together. The big challenge will be keeping them watered this summer. We have dry summers here, and, of course, they can't get watered with the micro-irrigation system I re-install differently every year. I've started collecting rain water in gallon jugs. I simply cannot spring for a RO filter.
Yes, those Philcula-brand plants are very, very special! I've had them only about 2 weeks. They CAME that large!! Lauren speaks the truth about Philcula's plants.
gapeahen
Donna in Douglas, GA
(Zone 8b)

May 2, 2006
4:51 AM

Post #2240946

Pixydish,
Great job, u have just given me several IDEAS using
old cow watering trof. I think I'll remove my deep pond out,
don't need to put holes in it! and do something like
u did! U GO GIRL!
Now all I have to do is find the plants!
any suggestion anyone?

DonnaV
Pixydish
Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

May 2, 2006
6:51 AM

Post #2241013

If you get the chance, order some from Phil's Place Nursery. (See the garden watchdog). don't know if he's sold out or not, but give it a try because you won't find a better deal. If you don't know what to get, just tell him where you live and what conditions you have and let him choose for you. You won't go wrong.

Also, check out the other threads on this forum, especially the ones by Rylaff down in Florida. She probably has similar conditions to you.
Hang out here and you'll learn everything you need to know. But be careful! These plants are addictive!
aprilwillis
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 8, 2006
5:03 PM

Post #2259847

Pixydish
That's a great idea, think I will try one w/ my grandson...his mom is not a fan of CPs so he won't find one at his house, but I think that he and I will find this interetsting.
Thanks!
Pixydish
Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

May 9, 2006
7:59 AM

Post #2261684

Well I'll tell ya what, April. that's her loss. I had a bday party for my son (just family) here on Sunday and all the CP's were the hit of the party!
aprilwillis
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 9, 2006
4:44 PM

Post #2262666

I bet they were!
My oldest daughter is a bundle of phobias, she was a riot growing up, she was "afraid" of white food...that would be anything that was white, like mayo, sauces, etc. She had the common affliction of not wanting her food to touch and would get upset when I reminded her that it was all going to touch when it hit her stomach.

One of her other "fears" and I guess to be fair what she means in this case is that they are "scarey" looking, CPs, Jack-in-the -pulpit, caladium flowers, etc. When he caladiums flower she cuts them off right away.

I am not sure what I did to her growing up, but if she ever goes into therapy she will keep the shrink rivoted! LOL.
Equilibrium

June 22, 2006
5:21 AM

Post #2419101

Updated photos needed of this addition!
aprilwillis
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 22, 2006
5:32 AM

Post #2419125

Yes!
Pixydish
Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

June 22, 2006
5:33 AM

Post #2419129

Will do!
Pixydish
Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

July 25, 2006
6:04 AM

Post #2545335

Well, a month later, here's an updated photo of one of the bog gardens. I couldn't resist photographing this because the late afternoon sun was shining throught the S. purpurea making it just glow.

Thumbnail by Pixydish

Pixydish
Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

July 25, 2006
6:07 AM

Post #2545344

Here's a closer shot.
I am now officially out of the rain water I stockpiled for the summer. With heat in the high 90's for the last several days, I've had to water these every day. Now it will be to the store for the distilled stuff. next winter, a rain barrel for sure.
And the pings are suffering a lot! They are not in the sun at all, but I'm thinking the heat is not good for them? They are still in the greenhouse, which remains totally open all day and night, and has shade cloth on it. Again, no direct sun, and the humidity in the greenhouse is much better than outside, but they don't like it this hot.

I'll get a photo of the the other garden tomorrow. Phil's 'Big Red' (I think) Sarrs are definitely red.

Thumbnail by Pixydish

zhinu
(Laura) Olympia, WA
(Zone 8a)

July 25, 2006
7:47 AM

Post #2545409

What exactly are those plants?
aprilwillis
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 25, 2006
2:22 PM

Post #2546007

Pixydish great photos. Thanks for the update!
Pixydish
Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

July 25, 2006
4:18 PM

Post #2546452

Here's one where you can see the plants more clearly. In the middle is the Sarracenia 'Scarlet Belle'. There is an unknown purpurea hybrid I got at the flower and garden show, and the purpurea with the large frill is called 'Redman' F2. Then there is a standard S. purpurea and a couple of VFTs from Phil that are supposed to be really red. Maybe when they get bigger.
You can also see a small Darlingtonia to the left. I'm worried it might not be getting the right cool water on the roots. But it's hanging in there.

Thumbnail by Pixydish

aprilwillis
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 25, 2006
4:40 PM

Post #2546535

Really nice! Still haven't gotten to mine- so much to do, so little time and dang it's hot here!
Pixydish
Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

July 27, 2006
4:22 PM

Post #2554935

Here's the other one filled with Philcula plants. In the middle toward the back there is S. micheliana x moorei 'Big Red'. These are really turning red like he said they would.
Now, on the right is S. alata x flava rubricorpora 'black throat'. I have not seen the black throat yet but it's just starting to pitcher well, so hope springs eternal.
In the front are the more common hybrids 'ladybug', 'scalet belle', and 'judith hindle'. Then there are some vfts along the sides.

Thumbnail by Pixydish

Pixydish
Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

July 27, 2006
4:23 PM

Post #2554939

Here's a closer shot.

Thumbnail by Pixydish

aprilwillis
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 28, 2006
12:09 AM

Post #2556604

That is really nice looking. I think this would change the minds of many who don't like bogs.
Pixydish
Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

July 28, 2006
7:38 AM

Post #2557939

Thanks, April. I am trying to incorporate these plants into my regular garden.
aprilwillis
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 28, 2006
2:48 PM

Post #2558740

You know they look so good w/ all the other plants as back drop etc and it looks like such a "natural" setting and that's what to me is so appealing and I believe would change the minds of people, like my goofy oldest daughter. I am going to send my daughter a link to these photos and will tell you what she says.
Pixydish
Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

July 28, 2006
4:09 PM

Post #2559082

LOL! Well, some people won't be able to be convinced, so we'll see!:)
Soferdig
Kalispell, MT
(Zone 4b)

January 19, 2007
5:47 PM

Post #3100409

Looks great pixydish with the colors and dramatic influence to the surrounding garden! I have been thinking about a similar project here in Montucky. This is my setting and I am planning on using the black plastic tarp to cover the hole. Is there a place in this forum to find what my requirements are for the project? I don't want to ask a lot of questions that have been already answered. Well water ok/what are hearty plants for here?

This message was edited Jan 19, 2007 12:21 PM

Thumbnail by Soferdig

Pixydish
Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

January 20, 2007
2:26 AM

Post #3102065

Hi Soferdig. Try the 'sticky' at the top of the forum. Here's the link:
http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/554904/

There may be a couple more. I"ll post some links on this post if I can locate them.

http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/681607/

This message was edited Jan 19, 2007 7:27 PM

Equilibrium and Wolfstriker are two of the more knowlegable folks on this forum. Either of them would be glad to point you in the right direction. It will help loads if you know specifically which plants you want to put in.

This message was edited Jan 19, 2007 7:30 PM
Astramorgaine
Columbus, IN
(Zone 5b)

September 25, 2007
2:15 PM

Post #4015192

I just LOVE your little bog garden!! We put in a pond last year, and it's doing well with fish and I even had a baby snapping turtle come to visit! Your photos have inspired me to start a small bog garden next spring :)

Thumbnail by Astramorgaine

Equilibrium

September 26, 2007
4:36 PM

Post #4019343

Yup, that's a baby snapper all rightie! Good for you.

Good for you for getting ready to go "soggy"!
Pixydish
Lakewood, WA
(Zone 8a)

October 4, 2007
3:17 AM

Post #4046896

Awww! What a cutie!! You'll love having a little bog garden. Mine did very well, in spite of the pathetic summer we had here. It is filling in nicely.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Carnivorous Plants Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Vegitarian Plants BogweedBuck 15 Aug 1, 2008 9:14 AM
You all have got to see this! Equilibrium 21 Oct 15, 2008 5:40 PM
Philcula, bog pot or ground bog for new sarracenia hybrid GSkinner 36 Jan 17, 2010 7:35 AM
A couple of my CPs I have yet to kill off Gerris2 9 Apr 28, 2007 7:52 AM
ID Please? Vee8ch 23 Jul 23, 2007 8:43 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America