Photo by Melody

Insect and Spider Identification: SOLVED: Bagworm?

Communities > Forums > Insect and Spider Identification
bookmark
Forum: Insect and Spider IdentificationReplies: 13, Views: 6
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
htop
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 1, 2006
8:31 AM

Post #2237585

Is this a bagworm moth larva poking its head out of its silk bag camouflaged with bits of dried leaves, bark and other debris? I have never seen one of these until now. I was looking at my mandevilla vine when I saw a strange object moving along its stem looking like a bunch of debri moving by itself. Then I saw a tiny dark head and a bit of the top section of a catepillar emerge from the debri. It sent out a very thin thread and made contact with a leaf. I couldn't tell if its was actually munching on the leaves as it moved around. I read that they usually do not emerge until June so I am a bit confused. Any assistance with confirming its ID will be appreciated.

Thumbnail by htop
Click the image for an enlarged view.

ViburnumValley

ViburnumValley
Scott County, KY
(Zone 5b)

May 1, 2006
11:38 AM

Post #2237723

Exactly.

That's a classic image. You could start an entomology text.

This is the stage at which to exterminate these beasts. They only arm themselves better as they (and their mobile home) get larger. One of the Bt products is targeted specifically for this pest.
htop
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 1, 2006
7:07 PM

Post #2239239

Thanks so much. I made a big mistake because I didin't know what it was, I took it from my mandevilla vine and then deposited it in a field across from my house. I guess I should have not been so kind and waited until I had an ID. I sure hope it doesn't come back. :o)
trois
Santa Fe, TX
(Zone 9b)

May 1, 2006
8:16 PM

Post #2239397

I have never seen a solitary bagworm. I had something like that in one of my bananas last year and a large wasp stung it and laid eggs in it. Then Rita blew the whole thing away.

trois

ViburnumValley

ViburnumValley
Scott County, KY
(Zone 5b)

May 1, 2006
11:00 PM

Post #2239884

trois:

You really must not like bagworms. Bt is enough, really.

I hope to never be on your bad side. I can do without hurricanes and parasitic wasps, no matter how attractive your bananas are.
trois
Santa Fe, TX
(Zone 9b)

May 1, 2006
11:08 PM

Post #2239904

Around here I have only seen them on cedars, which they cover and kill in a few days.
Just remarking I have never seen just one, always hundreds or thousands.

trois
Badseed
Lynchburg, OH
(Zone 6a)

May 1, 2006
11:09 PM

Post #2239906

I just found the same thing on my apple tree. :( Right above that dead looking thing, is a nice big net bag with cats. Will Sevin nuke them? I happen to have a nice new bottle of that.
trois
Santa Fe, TX
(Zone 9b)

May 1, 2006
11:28 PM

Post #2239964

We just spray with dish detergent, diluted. It has worked for us very well.
BamaBelle
Headland, AL
(Zone 8a)

May 2, 2006
12:19 AM

Post #2240160

Badseed, ar you sure they are catepillars in the net and not tent some sort of worms? There is a variety of pest down here that lives in the pecan and black cherry trees. They look a lot like catepillars, but if they drop on you, they sting and make a really nasty spot that gets infected really easy. My grandmother used to kill them by setting a corn broom on fire and sticking it up in the tree...till one dropped on her shoulder. She ended up having to go see a doctor with the sting. After that Granddaddy took all the pecan trees out and put in a vegetable garden where the pecan orchard had been.
Badseed
Lynchburg, OH
(Zone 6a)

May 2, 2006
12:46 AM

Post #2240243

I'll take a pic tomorrow to get opinions. I just noticed that dead looking thing then looked again and saw the big bag of worms.
htop
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 3, 2006
4:10 AM

Post #2243898

trois, I had better check the cedar tree behind my back fence and my arborvitae for bagworms. I don't want them to "disappear". I also should have noted the kind of leaves were used to camouflage the sac because this might tell me which plants it was eating besides being on the mandevillea vine so I could look for more.

ViburnumValley, I should buy a Bt product just in case I need it.

Badseed, 5% sevin dust is listed on some sites as an effective bagworm killer.You have a chance to control bagworms if you apply it when the insect and bags are about 1/2 inch or smaller in length. A large infestation of them can kill a tree. I chuckled when it was suggested that they be handpicked from the plant. This is not feasible in most cases.

BamaBelle, I think I have been "stung" by the catepillar to which you refer. Does the pain last for a long time and the area affected looks like a cigarette burn but is shaped like the part of the catepillar that came in contact with the skin?
trois
Santa Fe, TX
(Zone 9b)

May 3, 2006
10:53 AM

Post #2244144

Yep, you should check the Cedars. Bagworms are frequently confused with webworms which can be controlled with dilute detergent.
I believe the critter you are describing that stings is a Mexican Asp. We have all had a bad experience with these when they drop down your collar. They are usually white and instead of having a long round body like a regular catepillar their body is long and triangular shapped, not round. They are very painful. My son went to Dr. for his sting, Dw and I just wait it out, use a bit of ambisol. Since we have lived here in Santa Fe, we haven't seen a Mexican Asp.
trois
htop
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 3, 2006
10:26 PM

Post #2245922

I have seen the Mexican asp, but not ay lately. Fortunately, I have never been stung by one. The one to which I was referring above is a catepillar, is a tannish color and has short bristles along its body. The bristles have the liquid that causes the stinging sensation. As I recall, it had some green on it too.I'll take a photo of one if I see any. One day I placed a T'-shirt out to dry under one of my oak trees. It was inside out I brought it in when it was dry, turned it rightside out and put it on. I quickly found out that several of these catepillars were now inside the T-shirt aftr the burning began. I sustained lots of injured areas as I took the T-shirt off. I called the poison control center because I had so many burned areas and the gentleman said to immediately wash the areas off with dish soap, rinse with water and then wipe the areas with alchohol because the substance is oil based.
trois
Santa Fe, TX
(Zone 9b)

May 3, 2006
11:11 PM

Post #2246019

I hope to see a pic of one of these little beasties so I can avoid them.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Insect and Spider Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Tiny Red Critters Angel 24 May 28, 2013 5:14 PM
SOLVED: Do you know what kind of Spider this is? dignbloom 55 Aug 18, 2012 4:36 PM
SOLVED: green caterpillar xox_kitkat_xox 4 Jan 24, 2010 9:05 PM
SOLVED: Name this insect? Dinu 16 Oct 19, 2008 2:54 PM
SOLVED: Red Spider about the diameter of a penny gardenwife 24 Oct 10, 2009 10:41 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America