Photo by Melody
We want to hear from you! Please take this short, anonymous survey to help us improve the DG home page.

Specialty Gardening: Agastache seeds

Communities > Forums > Specialty Gardening
Forum: Specialty GardeningReplies: 13, Views: 316
Add to Bookmarks
Salt Lake City, UT
(Zone 6a)

May 1, 2006
10:47 PM

Post #2239844

Wondering what a good source on the net would be for seeds. Want hummingbird freindly xeriscape and any type of this plant will fit the bill nicely but the only online sources I can find are outrageously priced or are for WAY to many seeds - I just want a few of each or any variety not 100's of one type, can any one point me in the right direction. I can ONLY buy seeds (made promise to my daughter and myself no more plants till the bathroom has been finished/renovating). Not experienced enough or have enough plants for trading or I would be trying that route (have pretty basic stuff right now).
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

May 2, 2006
1:36 AM

Post #2240423

Thompson and Morgan has a number of different types of Agastaches, and you'll get probably between 25-100 seeds or so depending on the variety. For common plants like Agastaches that produce a lot of smallish seeds that's generally the minimum number of seeds that you'll find if you're buying them--trading you might be able to find someone with smaller quantities that they'd send you for postage. I'm also not sure what price you consider outrageously expensive--their stuff is generally $3-5 for a packet depending on variety and # of seeds, plus shipping of course. I've never run across seeds like this for much less than $3/packet, but if you want to save on shipping you might see if your local nursery or Lowes/Home Depot has some--I know I've seen them at those places around here. You won't get as many varieties, but you'll save a few dollars.
(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN
(Zone 6b)

May 4, 2006
8:09 PM

Post #2248755

Ecrane3's reference is a great one - another one that you might try (has a ton of neat stuff and is fun just 'cause he's a quirky kind of guy) is J.L. Hudson; . His site is pretty basic, so you'll either need to know what you're looking for or do a google/ images (or plant files on Dave's!) when you find something new.

Albuquerque, NM
(Zone 7b)

May 24, 2006
3:45 AM

Post #2311640

Plants of the Southwest carries a couple of varieties ( ); A. Cana (wild hyssop) and A. pallidiflora (purple hyssop). This is my first year that I have tried these (bought plants from our ABQ Plants of the Southwest) and they are already doing great -- hoping my hummers like them.
Salt Lake City, UT
(Zone 6a)

May 24, 2006
3:25 PM

Post #2312656

All great links - thanks guys thats what I needed. I'ld forgotten about Plant of the Southwest, have never tried Hudson but they look good to - thanks for the info.
Archer/Bronson, FL
(Zone 8b)

May 25, 2006
11:13 AM

Post #2315517

Or, you might put your inquiry over here in the Seed Trading forum. Some will send you seeds for postage and an envelope.

I planted a whole flat of agastache (Honey Bee White) when I found out they were good for xeriscaping. They have germinated and slow going for now. But I planted the whole kitncaboodle. When they get big enough, if they survive I can share some with you.

Contact me in a month and we'll see how they did and if they are ready for shipping.

Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

September 10, 2006
4:14 PM

Post #2709197

Pine Tree Garden Seeds sells small packets of seeds at a low price.
Fallbrook, CA
(Zone 10b)

October 21, 2006
7:47 PM

Post #2838263

Well, I checked Value Seeds for you to see if they had any agastache,they didn't, but I had to buy 6 packets of sun flowers seeds while I was there. Funny, I didn't think I needed those last time I visited their site...then checked to see what had sent me in case they had agastache. Unfortunately, they didn't either, but you might want to e-mail them anyway since they send you *free*, yes, free seeds appropriate to your area. I never turn down free seeds!
Salt Lake City, UT
(Zone 6a)

October 26, 2006
8:16 PM

Post #2853213

Superseeds looks good, I have been buying from Value seeds for 2 years now - got love their pricing but it looks like superseeds is very comparable - thanks! By the way I ended up buying the agastace sampler (5 varieties) from High Country Gardens so next year I should have seeds...
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 10, 2007
1:28 PM

Post #4280171

MQN ~ I am guessing you bought plants (HCG) not seeds so how did they do for you? Oh, and is the bath finished? LOL

Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

December 11, 2007
11:02 PM

Post #4285294

Yes, how did they do? I can't keep agastache because of my zone, but I love them! I get mine from HCG too.
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 12, 2007
2:17 AM

Post #4286024

Agastache won't overwinter in your zone? Do you save the seed?

This message was edited Dec 11, 2007 9:18 PM
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 12, 2007
2:23 AM

Post #4286062

I think most of them should be hardy in zone 5...some will even make it in zone 4. There might be a couple that are less hardy than that, but I think the majority of them should overwinter in zone 5.

Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

December 16, 2007
7:36 PM

Post #4301034

I lost Tutti Fruitti, Desert Sunrise and Root Beer. The nepetoids made it.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Specialty Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
let's make outside bonsai bert 20 May 14, 2009 9:59 PM
Favorite TOUGH Xeriscape plants michele5000 80 Apr 27, 2009 1:37 AM
Growing tomatoes upside down BittysGarden 112 Jul 19, 2009 5:51 AM
Raspberry Plants in Containers MummyOF4dolls 23 Mar 27, 2012 4:00 PM
Flower Pouches? nathalyn 80 Sep 11, 2008 10:49 PM

Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2015 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America