-
AuthorContent
MQN
Salt Lake City, UT
(Zone 6a)

May 1, 2006
10:47 PM

Post #2239844

Wondering what a good source on the net would be for seeds. Want hummingbird freindly xeriscape and any type of this plant will fit the bill nicely but the only online sources I can find are outrageously priced or are for WAY to many seeds - I just want a few of each or any variety not 100's of one type, can any one point me in the right direction. I can ONLY buy seeds (made promise to my daughter and myself no more plants till the bathroom has been finished/renovating). Not experienced enough or have enough plants for trading or I would be trying that route (have pretty basic stuff right now).
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

May 2, 2006
1:36 AM

Post #2240423

Thompson and Morgan has a number of different types of Agastaches, and you'll get probably between 25-100 seeds or so depending on the variety. For common plants like Agastaches that produce a lot of smallish seeds that's generally the minimum number of seeds that you'll find if you're buying them--trading you might be able to find someone with smaller quantities that they'd send you for postage. I'm also not sure what price you consider outrageously expensive--their stuff is generally $3-5 for a packet depending on variety and # of seeds, plus shipping of course. I've never run across seeds like this for much less than $3/packet, but if you want to save on shipping you might see if your local nursery or Lowes/Home Depot has some--I know I've seen them at those places around here. You won't get as many varieties, but you'll save a few dollars.
Pagancat
(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN
(Zone 6b)

May 4, 2006
8:09 PM

Post #2248755

Ecrane3's reference is a great one - another one that you might try (has a ton of neat stuff and is fun just 'cause he's a quirky kind of guy) is J.L. Hudson; http://www.jlhudsonseeds.net . His site is pretty basic, so you'll either need to know what you're looking for or do a google/ images (or plant files on Dave's!) when you find something new.

HTH!
slchavez
Albuquerque, NM
(Zone 7b)

May 24, 2006
3:45 AM

Post #2311640

Plants of the Southwest carries a couple of varieties ( http://www.plantsofthesouthwest.com/cgi-bin/plantview.cgi?_category=2 ); A. Cana (wild hyssop) and A. pallidiflora (purple hyssop). This is my first year that I have tried these (bought plants from our ABQ Plants of the Southwest) and they are already doing great -- hoping my hummers like them.
MQN
Salt Lake City, UT
(Zone 6a)

May 24, 2006
3:25 PM

Post #2312656

All great links - thanks guys thats what I needed. I'ld forgotten about Plant of the Southwest, have never tried Hudson but they look good to - thanks for the info.
MollyMc
Archer/Bronson, FL
(Zone 8b)

May 25, 2006
11:13 AM

Post #2315517

Or, you might put your inquiry over here in the Seed Trading forum. Some will send you seeds for postage and an envelope.

I planted a whole flat of agastache (Honey Bee White) when I found out they were good for xeriscaping. They have germinated and slow going for now. But I planted the whole kitncaboodle. When they get big enough, if they survive I can share some with you.

Contact me in a month and we'll see how they did and if they are ready for shipping.

Molly
:^)))

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

September 10, 2006
4:14 PM

Post #2709197

Pine Tree Garden Seeds sells small packets of seeds at a low price.

http://www.superseeds.com/home.htm
wcgypsy
Fallbrook, CA
(Zone 10b)

October 21, 2006
7:47 PM

Post #2838263

MQN,
Well, I checked Value Seeds for you to see if they had any agastache,they didn't, but I had to buy 6 packets of sun flowers seeds while I was there. Funny, I didn't think I needed those last time I visited their site...then checked to see what wintersown.org had sent me in case they had agastache. Unfortunately, they didn't either, but you might want to e-mail them anyway since they send you *free*, yes, free seeds appropriate to your area. I never turn down free seeds!
Sherry
MQN
Salt Lake City, UT
(Zone 6a)

October 26, 2006
8:16 PM

Post #2853213

Superseeds looks good, I have been buying from Value seeds for 2 years now - got love their pricing but it looks like superseeds is very comparable - thanks! By the way I ended up buying the agastace sampler (5 varieties) from High Country Gardens so next year I should have seeds...
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 10, 2007
1:28 PM

Post #4280171

MQN ~ I am guessing you bought plants (HCG) not seeds so how did they do for you? Oh, and is the bath finished? LOL

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

December 11, 2007
11:02 PM

Post #4285294

Yes, how did they do? I can't keep agastache because of my zone, but I love them! I get mine from HCG too.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 12, 2007
2:17 AM

Post #4286024

Agastache won't overwinter in your zone? Do you save the seed?

This message was edited Dec 11, 2007 9:18 PM
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

December 12, 2007
2:23 AM

Post #4286062

I think most of them should be hardy in zone 5...some will even make it in zone 4. There might be a couple that are less hardy than that, but I think the majority of them should overwinter in zone 5.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

December 16, 2007
7:36 PM

Post #4301034

I lost Tutti Fruitti, Desert Sunrise and Root Beer. The nepetoids made it.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Xeriscape Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Favorite TOUGH Xeriscape plants michele5000 80 Apr 27, 2009 1:37 AM
How do you all start your seeds (Blanket flower, etc.) Gourd 12 Feb 26, 2008 12:54 AM
Perennials for Xeriscaping, Zone 7 (and zones 2-11) cherishlife 107 Jul 24, 2008 9:51 PM
Where do you get them at? MitchF 25 Aug 4, 2008 5:09 PM
Albuquerque project naturepatch 27 Oct 26, 2007 4:39 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America