Alpines on May 1

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Besides my Kabschia saxifrages (see the seperate thread) I have a few other interesting alpines open today. This is Besseya alpina...a delicate beauty that bloomed for the first time this year.

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

A tuberous Corydalis, C. solida.

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Aethionema oppositifolia...this one has a lovely delicate fragrance.

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

and Erythronium dens-canis

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
Northeast, PA(Zone 6b)

Spring has arrived in St. John's then!

Central, UT(Zone 5b)

I debated on ordering seed for that Bessaya this fall. It got put on my next year list since I was focusing on other types of plants this year. This is the best picture I've seen of it yet. How many years does it take before it blooms? Great pictures as always.

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Too long! It took 8 years from seed! It is really no bigger now than when it was 3 years old, but for some reason it is reticent to bloom.

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Hy first Hepatica opened yesterday.

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
North East England, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

You're catching up Todd! Beautiful photos - lovely hepatica and erythronium and that Besseya alpina is new to me - very nice!

Saint Bonifacius, MN(Zone 4a)

The flower color change on that Aethionema is delightful! It looks like it has thick portulaca-like leaves too.

My Corydalis solida stay so small, about 4 inches. But (I assume) it's because they grow in a place that gets very dry and warm in the summer-the south side of my house. Still, they are so cute since they only have 2 or 3 leaves, and half of their height is the flowers.

Thumbnail by Leftwood
Northeast, PA(Zone 6b)

My aethionema seems to be a bit of an imperialist but it sure is pretty

Thumbnail by Tammy
North East England, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

Very nice!

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Most of my Corydalis solida are bluish-pink but a few turned out light pink.

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

First Lewisia is out May 6.

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

and I just love my Erythronium japonicum.

Thumbnail by Todd_Boland
Northeast, PA(Zone 6b)

Todd - I'm in love with your Erythronium Japonicum too! Its wonderful.

Central, UT(Zone 5b)

I'm definitly going to have to try some of those Corydalis. I grow the rather common C. aurea which can be a bit of a thug. These are much more refined and elegant. The Erythronium is lovely. I've got seed for E. grandiflorum in the fridge right now. The purlpe/lavendar of E. japonicum would look very nice with the yellow of E. grandiflorum. I wonder if they have the same cultural requirements.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.