Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Mid-Atlantic Gardening: wall of water ?

Communities > Forums > Mid-Atlantic Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Mid-Atlantic GardeningReplies: 10, Views: 8
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
rubyw
Crozet, VA

May 2, 2006
4:37 PM

Post #2241948

Hi folks -- In a new post someone mentioned wall-o-water. What is that? I want to learn everything that I can. Thanks for any replies.

Ruby
ldy_gardenermd
Highland, MD
(Zone 7a)

May 2, 2006
5:23 PM

Post #2242078

Wall o water or water wallies (they have a bunch of names) are clear heavy plastic liners with cells in them that you can put around your early veggies to protect them from cold temps. What you do is fill the cells with water then during the day the water heats up, at night the heat is released around the plants keeping them insulated. I used them one year for my tomato plants and they worked fantastically!

Angie
rubyw
Crozet, VA

May 3, 2006
11:02 AM

Post #2244152

Oh, thank you so much Angie.
I was wondering. Sounds very interesting. I am very late with tomatoes this year, so I won't be needing anything like that to help. Hopefully in a couple of weeks it will be warm to stay.

Again, thank you for explaining.

Ruby
ladygardener1
Near Lake Erie, NW, PA
(Zone 5a)

May 15, 2006
6:14 PM

Post #2282458

Have been using Wall O Water for a few years now. Even Started Cucumber seeds early in the garden with them.
Plant your plants/ seeds and turn a 5 gal bucket upside down over the plant/ seeds. Slip the Wall O Water over the bucket and start filling the cells with water. When all cells are full remove the bucket.

When it gets warm where the plant no longer needs protection, squeeze out some of the water so you can remove the WoW easily. And store for the next season.
rubyw
Crozet, VA

May 15, 2006
6:17 PM

Post #2282462

Hi Lady - Where does a person buy the WoW? This is sounding more interesting all the time. Thank you.

Ruby
ladygardener1
Near Lake Erie, NW, PA
(Zone 5a)

May 16, 2006
3:01 PM

Post #2285352

Hi Ruby

I ordered mine fromstripslashes((strlen('www.gardeners.com')>0?' www.gardeners.com':' www.gardeners.com')) (Gardeners Suppy) I have order a lot of gardening items from them and have never been disappointed.

Lady
sciurus
Prince Frederick, MD

May 20, 2006
3:56 PM

Post #2299925

I was the one talking about making my own WoW from plastic zip lock bags (gallon size). Cheap alternative but not nearly as sturdy. Good for short-term use. Just fill, seal carefully, and sit as many as needed around the plant. Used them for tomatoes and peppers a few years ago and they worked just fine. You may have to replace individual bags if you use more than a week or so.

rubyw
Crozet, VA

May 21, 2006
9:54 AM

Post #2301946

Hi Sciurus - Thank you for telling me how to make my own. I will consider this next year as I begin to plant.
sciurus
Prince Frederick, MD

May 31, 2006
1:30 AM

Post #2333643

More n' welcome, rubyw.

sciurus
TwinLakesChef
OC, CA & Twin Lakes , IA
(Zone 4b)

June 16, 2006
5:30 PM

Post #2397523

My WOW
Two inch seedling were put out the first of March in my Zone 4B here; they have also been treated with Messenger every three weeks. I have never watered them recently and it is very dry here.

Thumbnail by TwinLakesChef
Click the image for an enlarged view.

TwinLakesChef
OC, CA & Twin Lakes , IA
(Zone 4b)

June 16, 2006
5:32 PM

Post #2397529

This one ~ the WOW developed a leak in April and it seems to be doing well and catching up; but that has only occured in the last 4 weeks.

Thumbnail by TwinLakesChef
Click the image for an enlarged view.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Mid-Atlantic Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Mid-Atlantic Gardening forum Terry 51 Jan 6, 2009 12:54 AM
Happy Hollow trip in MD who's in??? magoobu 48 Apr 26, 2007 12:41 PM
rocks??? nikki_conway 68 Jan 18, 2011 6:26 PM
Liriope - evergreen here? pennefeather 18 Aug 2, 2010 6:18 AM
Pineapple sage recipe to share. ladygardener1 18 Nov 5, 2010 4:03 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America