Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Poultry and Livestock: need suggestions about fowl for garden

Communities > Forums > Poultry and Livestock
bookmark
Forum: Poultry and LivestockReplies: 1, Views: 10
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
xdogladyx
Bath, PA

May 3, 2006
6:30 PM

Post #2245291

I'm new to Dave's Garden. My front yard,100 feet by 80 feet is all garden, pond, trees, no fence. No grass, except for the fancy stuff. I thought about letting a chicken, goose, something, live there to eat the bugs, slugs. This is a semi-rural area, if there is such, with a field across the street. A local farmer said chickens would get run over. My hubby said what would we do during winter, zone 5.5. I'm afraid something would eat them, coyotes , neighbors. Any ideas?
TamaraFaye
Fritch, TX
(Zone 6b)

May 4, 2006
12:04 AM

Post #2246164

i think a goose might fly away, ducks are MESSY, and the chickens will also scratch it up something terrible.

i would recommend guineas. if you don't care to build a simple shelter for them to winter over in, they won't have the freezing problem that chickens have [except ice storms can be difficult for them]. they would roost in a nearby tree. but they would be prone to getting eaten by owls, hawks, etc at night... i bet hubby could build a guinea house cheaply enough, and there is a great book i recommend [i should just by them by the case load HAHA] called "Gardening with Guineas"

Guineas are a joy, plus eat ticks too! you won't have to collect eggs, cause they will lay them out in the field, and won't likely hatch them. you may have to replace your flock every three years if you don't house them properly, but you won't have to feed them much.

here is a site where you can find the book, a message board, and a breeder's list where perhaps you can pick up adult or half grown guienas, if you don't want to order keets [the name for newly hatched]... there are lots of colors to choose from too!!!

be sure and read the book and talk to your neighbors first... guineas don't understand boundaries. but their poop is not messsy like chicken poop, and your neighbors might appreciate being tick free...

http://www.guineafowl.com/board/index.php

my two cents worth, take it or leave it,
;-)
tf

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Poultry and Livestock Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Raising Keets (baby guineas) TamaraFaye 39 Apr 29, 2012 1:19 PM
Guineas moved into new home TamaraFaye 91 Jun 7, 2008 9:31 PM
What should I do for my sick hen? Tammy 51 Dec 16, 2007 8:55 PM
Sheep losing wool KathyJo 16 May 7, 2008 11:37 PM
Anyone raise rabbits ? PeggieK 41 Jul 10, 2008 12:07 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America