My Favorite Hollyhock

Tempe, AZ(Zone 9b)

Its "French Hollyhock" and just coming into full bloom.

Thumbnail by kimaz
Tempe, AZ(Zone 9b)

A closeup. I plant them from seed every fall.

Thumbnail by kimaz
Goodyear, AZ(Zone 9a)

Are you willing to share seeds?

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9a)

Ooooh, pretty. I've not seen that kind before.

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

I would love some seeds too... that is a gorgeous hollyhock...
Brittany

Phoenix, AZ

Gorgeous!!

(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN(Zone 6b)

They look like they're shorter than typical hollyhocks. How tall are they? I really like them!

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

Very nice, do they like full sun?

Gemfire

Tucson, AZ(Zone 9a)

Ok, so that answered my question about Hollyhocks. You plant them by seed, in the fall. But can someone be really specific with a time for me, so I can put it on a calender?? LOL Because if not, I will surely forget and I have wanted to have Hollyhocks in my garden for a long long time.

Dolores, CO(Zone 5b)

Very beautiful! I want hollyhocks, too! Everytime I come to the forum... I start saying "I want a pond too", or "I want hollyhocks too", or "I want tadpoles too"!! What have you people put in the computer? Some sort of addictive additive?

If there are extra seeds... I'd love some too. If not, where should I buy them?

Thanks all!!

Brenda

Tempe, AZ(Zone 9b)

I'd love to share seeds. First I need to figure out how to collect them. I bought seeds from Parks two years ago and have almost exhausted that supply so this summer I'll make a concerted effort to collect. These are very easy to grow. They're only annuals for me so obviously they bloom that year. I plant in October and have had 100% germination. Last year they were taller, about 5 foot. I actually prefer the four foot that they are this year. I'm always looking for a tall background plant and this one is perfect.

Thumbnail by kimaz
Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

I love Hollyhocks. Yours are beautiful

(Sheryl) Gainesboro, TN(Zone 6b)

Oh boy.... would they be the Hollyhock 'Creme de Cassis'? Parks has them, 15 seeds for $3.50 - two or more packs for 3.15. With such a high germination rate, it's hard to go wrong. I've paid much more for much less!

Thanks Kim, you enabler, you!

Tucson, AZ

Kim, those are beautiful. i'd like seeds too! bsavage, what you are feeling is just a gardening thing.....:) :) it seems we all have it.

Fayetteville, WV(Zone 6a)

Your hollyhocks really look a lot like mallow. Mallow and hollyhocks are in the same family. If you do a search for mallow, you might find pictures that resemble yours. I have mallow in my garden, btw. I have to say that yours are blooming better than mine. And of course I can be wrong! Maybe yours are an unusual hollyhock cultivar.

Phoenix, AZ

Wow, blast from the past lol!

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

After they flower don't deadhead and where the base of the bloom was there will be a round pod, let it dry completely, then pick it off and open it. You'll find lots of seed to one pod. I'll try to pick one off my pink hollyhock tommorrow and post a pic so you'll know what it looks like. Also would like seeds if you get any. Thanks.

Pam

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

"French Hollyhock" is the common name for a mallow.
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/51464/

Scottsdale, AZ

Glad this old thread was brought back to life. Someone mentioned that I should seed these in the fall for next summer. Is this correct? I have done a bit of looking on the net but can anyone steer me towards a great site with lots of seed choices? Thanks!

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

I thought they looked like mallow. They are just gorgeous and I wouldf not mind some seeds if you can get enough to share.I need to redo some of my flower beds and I am always looking for structural plants.

Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

Kim is no longer subscribing to DG.

Gilbert, AZ

Rats! Any other hollyhock enablers out there???? I'd be interested in splitting packs of seeds with someone.

Phoenix, AZ(Zone 9b)

hahaha... I was so confused... loving the old thread :)

Happy Jack, AZ(Zone 5a)

This Hollyhock must be a Mallow (Althaea - European marshmallow) also. I knew it wasn't the same as our others Hollyhocks. I love it because it stands out in the garden it is so bright against the green of the trees. I have no idea where it came from, so it must have been planted by the birds.

This message was edited Aug 25, 2010 6:22 AM

Thumbnail by HappyJackMom
Mesa, AZ(Zone 9b)

I will try to start some hollyhocks to bring to the swap. I have some seeds off the one from the spring swap and some I got from my sister years ago that are still good.

Pam

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.