Seasoning fresh bacon?

(Zone 5a)

Hi folks, I just had our first hog butchered and need a recipe for seasoning the bacon since our butcher doesn't do that. I have a vacuum sealer and hope to throw the seasinings in and seal it. I will post on the recipe forum also but thought I may have better luck here. Thanks, Lana

Baker City, OR(Zone 5b)

Check at your local library for books called "Putting Food By" and "Stocking Up". These and others similiar to them have recipies for all sorts of meat curing and sausage making, so you should be able to find just what suits your taste there along with the directions.

Halifax, MA(Zone 6a)

Here's a recipe for making bacon.

Homemade Bacon

Curing Salt:
4 cups kosher salt
2 cups maple sugar
3 bay leaves
1 Tbsp. ground black pepper
3 Tbsps. powdered garlic

Ingredients:
3 - 5 lb pork belly w/ skin
1/2 cup curing salt
2 gallon Ziploc bag

Place the pork belly on a sheet pan. Cover it with the Curing Salt, rubbing it into all sides of the belly, and dredging it so that it's completely coated. Place the belly into the plastic bag, discarding any cure that remains on the sheet tray. Seal the bag or cover the belly with plastic wrap. Refrigerate the belly for 5 days, flipping the belly every other day to redistribute the cure. After five days, the pork belly should feel stiff and dense when you squeeze it. If your belly is very thick, more than two inches, it may feel squishy in the center. If so, return it to the refrigerator for up to two more days.

When the belly is cured, rinse it thoroughly under cold running water, wiping off the cure, then pat it dry with paper towels. The belly can be refrigerated uncovered for up to three days at this point. It's best to let the belly rest for at least four hours to allow the salt concentration on the surface to redistribute. (Discard the cure.) Place the belly on a rack on a sheet tray and cook it in a 200-degree oven until it reaches an internal temperature of 150 degrees (about 2 hours; start checking at 1-1/2 hours). When it's cool enough to handle, slice the skin off, leaving as much fat as possible on the belly. Discard the skin (or braise till tender, cut into strips, and fry in rendered pig fat for a tasty snack!). Refrigerate the bacon or freeze it until ready to use. To make lardons, cut 1/2 inch slices, then cut again into 1/2 inch batons and refrigerate or freeze until ready to use.

This message was edited Oct 21, 2007 9:56 AM

Buffalo, WV(Zone 7a)

Hi, Lana, I'm a Lana too! LOL, don't see too many of us around. Can't believe we've both been members for so long but never met.

Lana

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images