Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Carnivorous Plants: A couple of my CPs I have yet to kill off

Communities > Forums > Carnivorous Plants
bookmark
Forum: Carnivorous PlantsReplies: 9, Views: 179
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Gerris2
Wilmington, DE
(Zone 7a)

May 10, 2006
3:05 AM

Post #2264507

LOL These guys are tough as nails, surviving my ineptitude (is that a word?)...I like them very much, and the pings seem to be especially attractive to the whitefly population I had in my sunroom.

Here is Pinguicula lutea in a fern forest.

Joseph

Thumbnail by Gerris2
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Gerris2
Wilmington, DE
(Zone 7a)

May 10, 2006
3:09 AM

Post #2264519

Here is Pinguicula laueana and also Drosera slackii over to the left, the latter not doing so well.

Thumbnail by Gerris2

Gerris2
Wilmington, DE
(Zone 7a)

May 10, 2006
3:11 AM

Post #2264527

Lastly, Sarracenia flava I have grown out from seeds I bought on ebay (miracle of miracles they germinated!), and Drosera capensis, nice and dewy.

Thumbnail by Gerris2

Gerris2
Wilmington, DE
(Zone 7a)

September 7, 2006
9:15 PM

Post #2701255

I transferred my Sarracenia flava seedlings outside into my container bog. So far they seem happy with the larger plant that Equilibrium gave to me (thank you again!!).

Joseph

Thumbnail by Gerris2

Equilibrium

September 8, 2006
4:04 AM

Post #2702641

Ferns and Pinguicula. Neat combo. I never thought of trying that before. Fun

You did a nice job on your seedlings. They look very healthy and strong. Good for you.

I really like your watering pipe. I use white pvc but the black you chose looks better and doesn't detract from the plants.

Looks as if your laueana and slackii have some competition. What's growing in the pot with them?
Gerris2
Wilmington, DE
(Zone 7a)

September 8, 2006
1:37 PM

Post #2703037

D. slackii is now boots up...P. laueana is a solitary plant in the container. It flowered a very nice reddish flower but was not able to get a good picture of it, alas. Thanks for your kind words, E, much appreciated!

Joseph

This message was edited Sep 8, 2006 9:07 PM
Equilibrium

September 8, 2006
1:46 PM

Post #2703054

Say Joseph, you might want to repot the P. laueana into fresh medium. Use the same pot but ditch the medium. Also too, dip that pot in a mild bleach solution of some sort before you add new medium and replant it. Other than that, your plants look remarkably good. Those seedlings are quite impressive for first year growth. Way to go!
Gerris2
Wilmington, DE
(Zone 7a)

April 28, 2007
1:45 AM

Post #3439551

Here's a pic of my last Drosera capensis, just about to set a flower. How cool is that?

Joseph

Thumbnail by Gerris2

Equilibrium

April 28, 2007
7:46 AM

Post #3439763

Aren't the flowers dainty? How many have flowered for you so far?
Gerris2
Wilmington, DE
(Zone 7a)

April 28, 2007
7:52 AM

Post #3439774

E, I am having a senior moment, will have to figure out which ones have flowered and have since croaked...I know the D. madagascarensis flowered up for me. This will be the first D. capensis flowers for me.

Joseph

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Carnivorous Plants Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Vegitarian Plants BogweedBuck 15 Aug 1, 2008 9:14 AM
You all have got to see this! Equilibrium 21 Oct 15, 2008 5:40 PM
Philcula, bog pot or ground bog for new sarracenia hybrid GSkinner 36 Jan 17, 2010 7:35 AM
Let's make a little bog garden! Pixydish 31 Oct 4, 2007 3:17 AM
ID Please? Vee8ch 23 Jul 23, 2007 8:43 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America