Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Mid-Atlantic Gardening: Gypsy Moths

Communities > Forums > Mid-Atlantic Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Mid-Atlantic GardeningReplies: 3, Views: 6
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
EsqBob
Annandale, NJ
(Zone 6b)

May 10, 2006
11:15 PM

Post #2266883

Gypsy Moth larvae seem to be breaking out all over the place on my property. I even found one of their tents in a tree. I remember the last onslaught in the 1980's, but I don't remember what people did to protect their trees. Does anyone have any ideas?
hart
Shenandoah Valley, VA

May 11, 2006
12:08 AM

Post #2267045

Are they gypsy moths or tent catarpillars? The tent catarpillars have been awful here this year.
bluesjuls
Harrisonburg, VA

May 11, 2006
12:57 PM

Post #2268498

I'm pretty sure that tent caterpillars are the larvae stage of gypsy moths. As far as I know the only way to get rid of them is to pull down the nests themselves and soak them in kerosene. I did some surfing and found a couple other info too. Small mammals are there main predators (so mice are good for something), tree bug band keeps them from getting to the foliage from the ground and there are sprays available as well.
hart
Shenandoah Valley, VA

May 11, 2006
11:30 PM

Post #2270258

No, tent caterpillars are not the same as gypsy moths. Tent caterpillars are particularly fond of cherry trees but will also tent on apples and more rarely our peach trees. A lot of people think tent caterpillars are gypsy moths, I don't know why.

These are tent caterpillars
http://www.umassgreeninfo.org/fact_sheets/defoliators/eastern_tent_catepillar.html

These are gypsy moths. They look sort of similar but not so much that you'd mistake one for the other. And they don't form tents.
http://www.umassgreeninfo.org/fact_sheets/defoliators/gypsey_moth.html

This message was edited May 11, 2006 7:30 PM

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Mid-Atlantic Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Mid-Atlantic Gardening forum Terry 51 Jan 6, 2009 12:54 AM
Happy Hollow trip in MD who's in??? magoobu 48 Apr 26, 2007 12:41 PM
rocks??? nikki_conway 68 Jan 18, 2011 6:26 PM
Liriope - evergreen here? pennefeather 18 Aug 2, 2010 6:18 AM
Pineapple sage recipe to share. ladygardener1 18 Nov 5, 2010 4:03 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America