Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Antiques and Collectibles: Button Collector

Communities > Forums > Antiques and Collectibles
bookmark
Forum: Antiques and CollectiblesReplies: 128, Views: 396
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
LyndaB
Port Saint Joe, FL
(Zone 8a)

May 12, 2006
11:12 AM

Post #2271601

Do any of you collect clothing buttons? I have a collection dating back to the 1700's, some historical and some just plain beautiful. Many buttons of the 1800's depict flowers and plants, many handpainted roses, which I love. I love to share my love of collecting these tiny works of art.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 25, 2006
9:27 PM

Post #2317208

LyndaB, that sounds like a really neat collection! I only have a few neat buttons from my grandma and I've bought some figures to add to it for my grandchildren. I wish I had more of the ducks and such my mom used to sew on our clothes.
LyndaB
Port Saint Joe, FL
(Zone 8a)

May 27, 2006
8:28 PM

Post #2322907

If you're talking about the little glass "kiddie" buttons with ducks, I also remember them fondly. I found a few on ebay some time back and plan to make my grandaughter something to have them on.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

May 30, 2006
3:06 PM

Post #2331331

A lot of them were plastic, I think. Mom didn't have any left in her drawers so I could get another look.
LC2sgarden
Bolivar, TN
(Zone 7a)

July 25, 2006
3:04 AM

Post #2544751

About 7 or 8 yrs. ago, went into a sort of thirft store in Jackson, TN. Looked thru a basket of stuff and found 8 buttons with the fake diamonds. Asked the guy how much he would take for them and when he sais "oh, 50 cents" I couldn't get the money out fast enough. He told me that an old man and woman came in several days before and he bought the buttons from them. If he only charged me .50 I wonder how much he gave them? Didn't ask, collected the buttons and left. Still have them.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

July 25, 2006
3:10 AM

Post #2544774

Lucky you!
basket_case
Backus, MN

August 30, 2006
5:38 PM

Post #2675599

I enjoy getting boxes of old buttons at auction/yard sales. I have 2 interesting buttons I have always want to know about. Almost 2" diameter. Various tones of green. Has a carved face of the statue of liberty on the front.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

September 7, 2006
7:54 PM

Post #2701025

That sounds interesting. I wonder how old it is?
somermoone
Las Vegas, NV
(Zone 8a)

September 23, 2006
6:38 AM

Post #2751300

I'm glad I stumbled onto to this::)) I have glass buttons from my grandmother's button collection. They are great...it's just a tiny collection but I love it!
pennyperson

October 20, 2006
5:28 PM

Post #2835230

Does anyone know how to date old buttons? Any good websites you might know of on dating them?
somermoone
Las Vegas, NV
(Zone 8a)

October 21, 2006
7:12 AM

Post #2837145

We should take some pictures of our various buttons and share here. It would be fun to see what other's have. K~

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

October 25, 2006
3:09 PM

Post #2848799

I thought about that, but haven't done it yet. Thanks for the reminder!
somermoone
Las Vegas, NV
(Zone 8a)

October 25, 2006
4:37 PM

Post #2849155

OK then, let's keep reminding until we remember and do it! LOL

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

October 25, 2006
5:01 PM

Post #2849259

Yes, because I haven't gotten up to do it yet. (Laughing!)
weedsgalore
Tampa, FL

October 28, 2006
12:19 AM

Post #2857224

Hi all , i have been collecting buttons for years...i don't have them in any sort or arrangement as a proper button collector has, but i love to look at them just the same...will try to post a pic of some of my favorites...not the best camera expert, but will try...i even like the new irridescent ones from Czech republic ...thanks sue
somermoone
Las Vegas, NV
(Zone 8a)

October 29, 2006
6:17 AM

Post #2861219

We need to get busy so we can see everyone's buttons! Button, button who has the picture of a button??? Mine are just in a dish but I love them because they were my Gramma's. I love anything that was my Gramma's.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

November 1, 2006
6:41 PM

Post #2872500

Getting there!
weedsgalore
Tampa, FL

November 1, 2006
8:14 PM

Post #2872775

oops! i promised too!! i will choose some favorites..that will be difficult!! sue... Hi somermoone! I see you are on the DG gift exchange...i have sent in my little crafts for everyone on the list...hope you get one of mine! (no buttons tho..lol!)...
somermoone
Las Vegas, NV
(Zone 8a)

November 2, 2006
9:55 AM

Post #2874410

You can send the buttons directly to my home address...LOL
I need to get my stuff together. I should go check out the dates again:)
I hope I get one of yours too::))

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

November 7, 2006
1:14 AM

Post #2889035

This isn't the best picture, but it's what I have right now.

Thumbnail by billyporter
Click the image for an enlarged view.

somermoone
Las Vegas, NV
(Zone 8a)

November 7, 2006
9:51 AM

Post #2890000

How fun! Here are some of mine.

Thumbnail by somermoone

somermoone
Las Vegas, NV
(Zone 8a)

November 7, 2006
9:54 AM

Post #2890004

more...most of mine are glass

Thumbnail by somermoone

somermoone
Las Vegas, NV
(Zone 8a)

November 7, 2006
9:58 AM

Post #2890012

I love my gramma's buttons!

Thumbnail by somermoone

weedsgalore
Tampa, FL

November 7, 2006
11:29 AM

Post #2890118

Billy and Somer, Delightful!! Love the figural sailboats, billy, and i collect the heartshaped ones too!! Somer, love the glass ones...many are turn of the century..but the more textured ones are from the 1920's to 1940's..ok, i will try to post a pic of some of mine..i like to collect the figural ones...little hats...bows, kitties, they are called "moderns" since they are not from the late 1800's to early 1900's..they appeal to my sense of whimsy...sue

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

November 7, 2006
7:50 PM

Post #2891710

I love your buttons! I took a terrible picture. I thought I could snap a few before the cats knew what I was doing. Wrong! I hurried and didn't do well. I'll get a better background and repost!

Mom used to put little ducks and flowers on our shirts, but I don't find any leftovers in her buttons. I love those. I'm starting to buy shapes myself. They aren't old now, but they will be.
weedsgalore
Tampa, FL

November 7, 2006
11:44 PM

Post #2892403

I do admit to buying a couple of Mary Englebreit's scotty buttons..as well as her teapots..they are so well done..and you are so right they are tomorrow's collectibles. I have fallen in love with some of the new Czech Republic irridized buttons...they are glass and so beautiful...and glitzy... like the old fashioned carnival glass bowls...i have seen the dragonfly ones on ebay...gorgeous! Can't bring myself to pay for the shipping...hope to find them locally at an antique show..
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

November 8, 2006
12:10 AM

Post #2892492

I like Jeanne Rice's clothes and buttons. She does knits and they are very animated with very cute buttons that fit into the theme of the outfit. I also like any button that has alot of history to it.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

November 8, 2006
12:10 AM

Post #2892493

I started getting into glass around x-mas a couple of years ago. Seems like I had a lot of clear tree ornaments. Glass buttons would be pretty! I have my Grandma's, so I don't go looking for more. I'm starting to get the bug tho!
somermoone
Las Vegas, NV
(Zone 8a)

November 8, 2006
6:24 AM

Post #2893372

Billy~
Your buttons are very cute. Now I'd like to start getting a few little figure ones. I'll keep my eyes open.
I don't know anything about mine, dates ect. I just love them because they were Gramma's. That made me love buttons. I haven't paid much attention to collecting the past few years. Although if I had come across any collections or special buttons I would have scooped them up.
Thanks fo sharing. What a fun little hobbie. I think I will start looking again::))
Karen~
weedsgalore
Tampa, FL

November 8, 2006
11:09 AM

Post #2893554

Pepper, who is Jeanne Rice? And what do her buttons look like? And where can one see them? So many questions!! Buttons are like candy...addicting...but don't take up too much space...so one can collect many...but at a button show..they add up and then you are a little shocked!! (but buy them anyway...lol..) sue
weedsgalore
Tampa, FL

November 8, 2006
12:09 PM

Post #2893663

ok, here are my pics of my 30 plus yr. collection of buttons...i do love the glass ones the best...i am an antique dealer for about 30 plus yrs. i specialize in vintage jewelry..so in my business i have found many buttons that were part of buying estates..as well, as collecting them singly...none are really valuable..the brass ones from the 1800's can get a bit pricy..up to 35.00 each..but i bought them years ago when the prices were better..i just love the colorful ones..i was lucky to obtain some from a button co. that had closed it's doors yrs. ago..and a dealer had obtained the ones on cards..most are from Czech, and Germany...some of the big irridescent ones are new..you can still get them on ebay.or button shows..my absolute favorite button in this collection is the hatbox shaped one,,shoe..tyrolean hat..and heart shaped ones.those are coming up in a closeup shot...sue

Thumbnail by weedsgalore

weedsgalore
Tampa, FL

November 8, 2006
12:15 PM

Post #2893676

Here is a closeup of my favorites, as they are so whimsical and colorful..you can see bonnets, hearts, the tyrolean hat, and my favorite hatbox ones...who ever thought up these subject matters? So fun! thanks, sue

Thumbnail by weedsgalore

weedsgalore
Tampa, FL

November 8, 2006
12:19 PM

Post #2893683

Ok are you still awake?!! lol...these are the big "carnival glass ones" most of the large ones are new (within the last 6 yrs. or so) the cat, lady bug etc. the smaller irridescents are mourning buttons (black) these are from the 1800's to the 1900's...i just love BLING!!! thanks again, sue

Thumbnail by weedsgalore

somermoone
Las Vegas, NV
(Zone 8a)

November 8, 2006
6:15 PM

Post #2894731

I AM DROOLING RIGHT NOW!
Now that is a button collection. They are SO beautiful, that my dear, would be my button collection dream!
Like I said previous, I have no idea about mine, time frame, ect.
Thanks so much for all the gorgeous pics.
This really is a fun place to be::))
Karen~
weedsgalore
Tampa, FL

November 8, 2006
9:38 PM

Post #2895396

You are very sweet karen, But as i said it is not a serious button collection...just fun and colorful..i did take a pic of the truly old brass "story" ones from the 1800's it didn't come out well...those are my serious buttons...a good collector of buttons wouldn't even look at my glass ones..they go for the porcelain handpainted ones, waistcoat buttons from the 1700's, i think the lady who started this thread has a serious collection...some of the "Gay 90's" buttons that are large and embedded with rhinestones are pricy and spectacular...i still love my whimsical ones, they make me smile...thanks, sue
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

November 8, 2006
11:59 PM

Post #2895803

Weeds, Jeanne Rice is a clothing designer on QVC. She makes unique knits with cute buttons on most of them to fit in with the theme of the clothing. She is really funny to watch and she has a story behind each design.

Forgot to say, her line is Quacker Factory by Jeanne Rice.

This message was edited Nov 8, 2006 7:19 PM
weedsgalore
Tampa, FL

November 9, 2006
12:05 AM

Post #2895817

Thanks Pepper, i might have to watch one of her offerings on QVC! sue

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

November 9, 2006
12:27 AM

Post #2895887

Oh Weedsgalore, (hand over heart) you have a magnificent collection! I only thought of button coooecting as in you were lucky to get a family members jar of buttons. I've never seen so many neat ones.

You wouldn't believe how many buttons I dig up in my flower beds. Nothing special. At first, I started saving them, but when they got so numerous we just laughed and let them lay.
somermoone
Las Vegas, NV
(Zone 8a)

November 9, 2006
5:06 AM

Post #2896701

I do love buttons and those are awesome to me::))
I also love old jewelry. My DA use to let us girls play in her jewelry box. My cousin got all that. I did get some of my grandmother's earrings. I look for vintage pieces at yard sales and pick them up. One day I'd like my DGDs and great nieces to play in my "jewels", look at my books & find my "treasures". I hope they will want to.
K~
weedsgalore
Tampa, FL

November 9, 2006
12:35 PM

Post #2897068

Bill & Somer, You are very kind! I wonder Billy, what would have been on your property that you would find buttons, while digging? Many families would have their own "dump" and bury refuse or burn on their land (as there was no garbage pickup in those days) I would go crazy digging up my land looking for old buttons...you may have some valuable buttons under those daisies!! lol...(long as you don't dig up a body with them..heehee). And Somer really look at those trinkets the kids are playing with, as a vintage jewelry dealer, some pieces are worth 100's of dollars...(their college fund?). Sorry, guys once a dealer always a dealer...just a scavenger at heart!! lol! sue
somermoone
Las Vegas, NV
(Zone 8a)

November 9, 2006
6:14 PM

Post #2898074

Oh Sue, we would do well together::) Wish you and I were Bill's neighbors! Bill wouldn't like it and until we made him a rich man,along with our share in the treasure of course. It is a fear in digging holes in garden spaces of yards that have been here for ever and ever...What WILL you did up? Sparky? Tweety? Mittens? Or is that a ??? LOL...don't go too deep! Karen~

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

November 10, 2006
4:31 AM

Post #2899851

I'd like to be a rich woman!

There was a family who lived on this property. My best find is all the clay marbles and a bit of old money. Someday I'll gather the stuff I've found and post a picture.

I find a lot of broken crocks. The neatest thing I've found is a padlock. The most amazing thing was my husbands bridge. At the time he lost it, we didn't own the lot. I found it when I made my Rose Bed. I turned the sod I cut, over, and there it was. I didn't know they were his till he came home and I showed him. He couldn't believe it. He thought he lost them at work.

Sally
somermoone
Las Vegas, NV
(Zone 8a)

November 10, 2006
6:18 AM

Post #2899956

OK, so it's Sally not Bill LOL
Karen, Sally...Sally, Karen...Nice to meet you!

ROFLOL with the husband's bridge. What was he doing with his teeth out on a lot that wasn't even yours...LOL

I think I need a story of this lot, your husband, what it is your finding. Since I'm new here I must have missed all that!

If you start running into other people's teeth I might get a little worried. Finding your husband's is right up there, still LOL...just cracks me up!

K~
weedsgalore
Tampa, FL

November 10, 2006
11:58 AM

Post #2900187

Hey Sally & karen, (i sorta thought you were female!!)...great story on your hubbie's bridge? I agree with Karen, how did it get into the garden...i would have been very worried finding teeth under the earth...i would be thinking what's next? Yikes!! Call CSI!!!!! ps Clay marbles and padlocks are highly collectible...i would keep on digging!! lol! sue
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

November 10, 2006
3:40 PM

Post #2900907

First teeth, what's next? LOL.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

November 11, 2006
3:45 AM

Post #2903299

Sadly it would be a Petey and a Martha, and I did dig them pretty deep so I wouldn't unearth them. : )

I was more grossed out thinking I did dig up a strangers teeth. We think the neighbor's little dog must have found them in our yard and buried them. To this day I still can't believe I found them. We bought the lot in ''91.'' I found them in ''99.'' Best find was a 1895 indian head penny. I turned about half the garden by hand. I came in to fix supper and DH decided to turn the rest. I went out to look. Reached down where I had quit and picked up a handful of dirt to crumble it. It was left in my hand. Weather
beaten, but the oldest I've found.

Karen, Sue it's nice to meet you too!

Pepper, I find body parts and I won't know what to do. I think I would bury them a little deeper.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

November 11, 2006
2:05 PM

Post #2903966

LOL. Nah, you would just gather them up and take them to a university. LOL.
somermoone
Las Vegas, NV
(Zone 8a)

November 12, 2006
9:42 AM

Post #2906489

I would have been "freaked out" thinking I would be finding the stranger too!
I hope you write this story in your journal for future generations. This should have been a news worthy story, unbelievable. ROFLOL thinking of the neighbor dog packing DH's teeth off to bury. This is one of the best stories! Thank you so much!

Did you say if DH popped them back in or not? Just to make sure and all. I wouldn't believe my DH until he proved it to me! LOL "Prove they are yours!" "Put them in your mouth and prove it!" LOL

Thank you guys so much for this hillarious thread!
Karen~
I have my own theory of the teeth, snowman cartoon...
http://www.cartoonstock.com/directory/f/false_teeth_gifts.asp
weedsgalore
Tampa, FL

November 12, 2006
12:37 PM

Post #2906651

Hey gals, I agree very interesting thread..loved the cartoon Karen, Possibly of interest to you ladies...i popped on over to ebay and did a search in the collectibles...buttons...to "Czech* " wow!! I haven't been button shopping for a long while...there are many american and Canadian Czechs..importing the most amazing irridescent buttons for sale.. ( i prefer to stay in Canada & US. for buying).One ebay shop "Bohemian Enchantment" offered free shipping..and a wonderful assortment of glass buttons...i am having some shipped to me..a gorgeous 6 pc. assortment of cobalt blue large dragonfly buttons..and a mix of glass buttons in florals..simply lovely...uh oh...they take personal checks...can't wait to see them...and i thought i was over my button collecting...i even bid on an auction of assorted...i am in serious trouble...yikes!! sue the obsessive, compulsive...
somermoone
Las Vegas, NV
(Zone 8a)

November 12, 2006
6:59 PM

Post #2907541

Thanks! On my way to check it out! You better not be getting me into trouble!
K~
weedsgalore
Tampa, FL

November 12, 2006
7:36 PM

Post #2907629

O-Karen, isn't it neat...like lots of colorful candy!! I bet i won't have to push you too hard to get into trouble...i have a bid on some mixed buttons from Czech...they are all new by the way...but they are so fun, i may use them in my mosaics...
somermoone
Las Vegas, NV
(Zone 8a)

November 12, 2006
10:35 PM

Post #2908078

I just bought some cute novelty buttons at the last 7 seconds! I had to...I loved the Czech ones...gorgeous! where do these guys get all the buttons to sell?
I wish I knew where mine came from. Maybe I can find a button book somewhere..B & N I'm sure.
weedsgalore
Tampa, FL

November 12, 2006
11:02 PM

Post #2908143

Karen, on the button site there are always books being offered..but it is easier to go to B&N...it is so interesting? The Czech republic has long been a manufacturer of glass...during the turn of the century it was exporting tons of buttons, rhinestones, jewelry to the US..world war I & II put a stop to that..now they are reviving their glass industry as a means to make an income..many of the new buttons are made from old moulds..that have survived the wars and the politics..Jablonec was one of the major glass producing cities involved back then..and i think (don't quote me) they are using the former factories to manufacture again...i noticed many Czechs are using Canada as their homebase and importing the buttons from Czech..the two ebay shops i have used that have the most spectacular varieties..are both canadians that are importing from Czech republic..which is nice as they take my personal check..one has no shipping costs!! Post a pic when you get your auction buttons..would love to see them..i have a few books, maybe i can help with identifying them...it is a fun hobby..doesn't take up much space..people become fascinated when you show them your collection...Congrats! on winning your buttons...sue
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

November 13, 2006
12:03 AM

Post #2908354

I was checking out a few of the buttons on ebay earlier too. Had to keep myself from drooling over some of them.
weedsgalore
Tampa, FL

November 13, 2006
11:04 AM

Post #2909153

Hi pepper! Yes, drooling leads to spending...i ought to know..i am sending out a check today! I have no control...
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

November 13, 2006
11:09 AM

Post #2909159

LOL. I have control until it comes to horses and horse items. THEN I have to have someone there to hold me down and tell me no. Otherwise I will spend every cent I have. lol. One of these days I migh get lucky enough to be able to own a horse but I don't think any time soon.
weedsgalore
Tampa, FL

November 13, 2006
12:06 PM

Post #2909247

Pep, i live in a "horse community" we are allowed to have one horse per 1/2 acre..so all the little girls here have horses as well as my neighbors. Sounds like some "posh" community...it is not! Just large plots of land...my best friend had 3 horses across from me...they are expensive, and so much work..anytime they got ill..(colic) my friends would be up all night walking the horses waiting for the vet...$$$$'s...waiting for hay to be delivered.$$$'s waiting for the blacksmith..$$$'s.constantly mucking out stalls. then the saddest part..waiting to remove the horses after they expired..(old age, they were well cared for) but heartbreaking...they did ride them but not for long..as there would always be hoof problems etc...think hard! I love horses, but from afar..so much dedication! If you are young, then that is the time to do it...or if you have children..so much discipline to properly care for these animals.(and we have some individuals in the neighborhood that have their horses in deplorable condition, can't afford the bills i guess)..but after all that ...i still get pleasure seeing a pretty horse (we have some lovely animals here too) the Pasa Finos are very showy.. walking down the street, when i ride my bike!! ps. I did want one..but the romance had gone out of it, after helping my friends with theirs. Yikes!..sorry for getting on my soapbox!..heehee...

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

November 13, 2006
7:00 PM

Post #2910301

I don't know which cartoon is the funniest, but I especially liked the vampire, and the spirit is willing!

No way! The bridge went in a drawer. It's written in one of my diaries!

Smiling at Sue and Karen. : )

Good for the Czechs! It's nice to see things brought back. Old buttons are neat, but ALL buttons are neat.
weedsgalore
Tampa, FL

November 13, 2006
7:42 PM

Post #2910399

hey all, Can't wait to see my Czech treasures, they are so wonderfully GAUDY!!!...old buttons have that certain something that only another age can bring...but those delighful Czech buttons sure have alot of "Bling!"...sue.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

November 13, 2006
7:49 PM

Post #2910418

Gaudy, that's a descriptive word! I can't wait to see them either!
somermoone
Las Vegas, NV
(Zone 8a)

November 14, 2006
5:02 AM

Post #2911832

I'm here waiting too. The buttons I got are just novelty, crafty little guys. Nothing pretty. I'm waiting for that.
Let's find out how to order direct from Czech...Just imagine.

The only treasures I find are the natural ones, mostly cones. I have a batch in teh oven right now. I have made some lovely potpourris for winter. I just cut and snip everywhere I go.

I love talking with you guys! Thanks! K~

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

November 14, 2006
12:53 PM

Post #2912269

I need a bigger store than Walmart for a better selection. I want to add to mine so my Grandchildren are interested in sitting down and looking with me. Since I have boys so far, I need horses and trucks!
weedsgalore
Tampa, FL

November 14, 2006
1:28 PM

Post #2912349

Hey Sally! Joanne's Fabric and Etc. has some really nice figural fun buttons! sometimes they have a sale..these little items add up after awhile! Hey Pepper, please post again! I probably scared you with my tirade on horses..so sorry..don't know where that came from...i do get angry with people in my community for not treating animals well..it has nothing to do with you, dear, I know you would be a good "horse-mom"! sorry again..Karen, novelty buttons are the most fun! A dg-er just sent me a box of old buttons..there is a red plastic button of 2 people "jitterbugging", what a hoot!! You know it is from the 40's-50's era! It goes into my collection...oohh...i would bet those Czech buttons i won cost next to nothing in Czech!! I think their economy is really struggling? I would have to rent a ship..to haul away the deals that probably abound in that country.. And they are really pretty..in a flashy kind of way..Sally you need to get some good daughters-in-law to make grand-daughters for your future button collection!! lol...sue

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

November 14, 2006
1:47 PM

Post #2912413

Laugh, too late for that Sue. I have one daughter. Since Grandson # 2, and being busier now, I haven't heard a word about a Grandchild # 3. : ) But it's early. # 2 is only 2 months now. I haven't looked in Muscatine for a fabric shop. I don't sew at all. Mom's passion was sewing. I did get her old Singer with the metal parts and many pop in shape makers. I 'm not sure what they are. Maybe for applicating? (I bet I spelled that wrong.)

Love the jitterbug button. It's amazing, the ideas that come up for buttons.
weedsgalore
Tampa, FL

November 14, 2006
1:54 PM

Post #2912427

I don't sew at all either..got a D in home economics in sewing...(brought it up to a C lol)..but i just love the buttons...i guess like all collectors it harkens back to happy hours playing with mom's button basket in the...gulp...1950's!!! Would play "tiddly-winks" with my brothers.. (for you youngsters..a childhood game)..and fight over our favorite buttons...

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

November 14, 2006
2:10 PM

Post #2912466

I got a D - in sewing!! Mostly because I REFUSED to wear and model the skirt I had to make, for the ''fashion'' show. Otherwise I had a C -. I really hated that teacher. Snobby and didn't relate to all students well.

My button playing was in the 60's, early 60's. : )
weedsgalore
Tampa, FL

November 14, 2006
3:18 PM

Post #2912626

heehee, ours was a "gathered skirt" and i never finished it!! (didn't want to wear it either) our teacher was an old fusty lady..way behind the times and due for retirement! Poor thing..we did give her a hard time...got sent to the principal's office for eating the popcorn to make popcorn balls...even the principal grinned at that one..amazing what we can remember?????

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

November 14, 2006
5:30 PM

Post #2913014

Laughing!!! How many cohorts were in on the popcorn? In cooking, I felt bad. Nichols people got out 10 minutes early to get on our 3 buses and leave before all of West Liberty's buses pulled in. I never had to help clean altho I tried to do some before I left. I had a great bunch to cook with!
somermoone
Las Vegas, NV
(Zone 8a)

November 14, 2006
7:08 PM

Post #2913217

I always loved going through my gramma's treasures, including her buttons.
I do sew and love it when I get the time. I made DD's Junior and Senior Prom dresses. What a blessing that was when she finally gave in and let me give it a whirl. Girls borrowed them the following years. I did half the bridesmaid dresses for DD's wedding...STUPID...since most of the girls were out of town I ended up doing things last minute...crazy!

The sewing machine items are discs that are used for different stitches, so yes they are used to applique too...good job in guessing what they do! I have my Gramma's old but newer singer. K~
weedsgalore
Tampa, FL

November 14, 2006
9:47 PM

Post #2913608

just my best friend and myself!! Sally...i always followed her lead..and it got me into trouble! Karen, you are the only real seamstress on this thread! Wow, to take on a wedding..i do so admire people who can really sew...there is so much you can make..i go crazy looking at fabrics..as there are some astounding materials now..i just don't know what to do with them! sue
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

November 15, 2006
12:37 AM

Post #2914156

Weeds, you didn't scare me away, Emmitt Smith pulled me away with that dancing of his!! And am enjoying seeing you all drool over czech buttons. LOL

Everyone has different opinions of horses and everything else. some people enjoy working with them and some faint at the sight of one. Those I have to laugh at. It is kinda funny watching people faint because a horse decided to turn his head and look at that person. I happen to enjoy horses and other animals and hope to own alot of land someday so i can have some horses and other animals. I am happiest when coverd head to to in dirt and straw and unreconizable. My mom kicks me out of the house everytime I get that way. LOL.
somermoone
Las Vegas, NV
(Zone 8a)

November 15, 2006
1:02 AM

Post #2914207

Funny on the horses. DH husband's family has a farm and raise horses. I don't faint at the sight of them and after 29 years am getting better around them. I actually held the head of a fiesty thing for his Aunt last year during a big freeze in OR. I was afraid she would bite me but I decided to give her the business right back and told her how it was. Aunt Mary just laughed while she continued blanketing the horse that DFL & DML wouldn't do. DH's sister is a barrell racer still at 38. DS's girlfriend is too which is so funny because oldest DS does not do horses. He's right up there with fainting (not quite) and his girl just laughs.
DH's mother went over the head of hers on a trail ride this past June and broke both her wrists, she just turned 65. She couldn't do anything and I do mean couldn't do ANYTHING by herself...poor dear. Good thing the family is close::)) Remember when your kids use to yell at you from the bathroom...that was Mom.
You sew simple things! Get some cool fabric, cut a square and make a pillow. Straight lines, easy as baking cones! I don't do pies, Haggen does::))
K~
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

November 15, 2006
1:09 AM

Post #2914215

LOL. That's a good story Karen. I totally understand on everything. Been there and done most of it. Haven't broken bones yet though. THANK GOD!!

Hey, everyone has quit posting pictures of buttons! What's with that!! LOL. And don't look at me. the only ones I have are the extra ones that come with new clothes.
somermoone
Las Vegas, NV
(Zone 8a)

November 15, 2006
1:23 AM

Post #2914245

Maybe I'll get some more pics taken, better and ya'll can help me out with them?
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

November 15, 2006
1:43 AM

Post #2914300

Sure.
weedsgalore
Tampa, FL

November 15, 2006
11:30 AM

Post #2914998

ok! I will post a couple more pics of buttons you haven't seen...we will try to keep our little thread relevant (amongst our pleasant chitchat! lol)...the person who started this thread, Lynda B, sounds like an awesome collection..hope she will post too! Meanwhile, we are all enjoying each other's company! I will find my button books, Karen, so post away...Pepper, on another thread the people were going crazy for the dance thing too! I meant to take a gander at it..and got lost in household chores along the way! Actually, there was a bio, on Richard Speck, the serial killer...go figure, why hubby and i would watch that!! Pretty scary...but interesting...crime stuff has always fascinated me...tho i am very law abiding..lol!!

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

November 15, 2006
1:35 PM

Post #2915367

I too am enjoying everyone's stories while we try to find time to post more pictures. I mean to get better one's of mine, and go thru Mom's drawers to see if I missed a bandaid box of oldies.

DD has horses. Actually her DH raises them. They had to shoot a beauty of a filly last year. She broke her leg on the freak ice storm in March. I felt so bad, but on the farm you have to accept death.

Weeds, I love crime shows too. I watch the real ones and CSI. Then I'm into supernatural. All my books are some sort of Steven King, Dean Koontz, Johnathon Saul sort. Then I like Ed Mcbain and Johnathon Kellerman. But, that's another thread.

I'm definately law abiding too. Who wouldn't be after watching crime shows! LOL!
weedsgalore
Tampa, FL

November 15, 2006
6:29 PM

Post #2916252

Sal, i love the supernatural too..but dh goes to bed early and if i watch the supposedly real ghost hunters etc...i start seeing things out of the corners of my eye...the cats start acting spooky...i generally scare myself..whattaoldlady i am becoming! giggle...
somermoone
Las Vegas, NV
(Zone 8a)

November 16, 2006
3:09 AM

Post #2917925

I NEVER watch or read scary stuff...I can't even listen to the music, I will have nightmares. DH and DBL would go see all the scary movies, SIL and I would do something else.
I have too big an imagination, I would be totally freaked all the time. Just can't do it.
I like all the Cinderella movies, all versions... LOL...
Look at this tree! It fell during our big storm today...it's my parent's house.
I know we want pics of buttons! Getting there! The tree was IT today!
K~

Thumbnail by somermoone

weedsgalore
Tampa, FL

November 16, 2006
11:37 AM

Post #2918534

Oh Karen, it just missed the house!!! Wow, hope your parent's are ok? That would give me a heart-attack!! We had a big storm come through last night (probably the same front as yours) nothing bad, but all my plant beds have tons of pineneedles, branches and cones..in them...and they were so perfect yesterday!! sue

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

November 16, 2006
2:38 PM

Post #2918989

Oh my gosh. I'd be more scared knowing it was coming down than finding it missed!
(I don't mind a tree picture.) I'm glad no one was hurt. There seem to be a lot of powerful storms everywhere.

I can't find a good time to do buttons either. I have to make myself get off of here soon and get some housework done. I'm going to get a worse case of secretary spread!

Can't spell today. Wish I'd notice before I hit send!

This message was edited Nov 16, 2006 9:39 AM
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

November 17, 2006
12:11 AM

Post #2920536

Don't worry, I misspell all the time and don't catch them til to late.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

November 17, 2006
11:52 AM

Post #2921541

I got my buttons out and sorted all by color. I am now going to look for clear, slide out drawers so I can keep them separated. I may have to go to Menards and get the nuts and bolts box. I started taking pictures, but when I reviewed, had too much shine on the other tableI set them out on. I'm going to have to shut my bedroom door to keep the cats out and lay down a white towel. At least they are sorted!
weedsgalore
Tampa, FL

November 17, 2006
11:55 AM

Post #2921549

Proud of you Sally!! Wasn't it fun..sorting your collection? A sense of accomplishment! Some of my New ebay Czech buttons arrived day before yesterday...that was the fastest shipping i have ever experienced!!! They are beautiful..i leave them out on the kitchen counter and admire them!! lol...will get a pic...sue

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

November 17, 2006
11:59 AM

Post #2921556

It was. It gave me a chance to look more closely at the details. I also noticed a lot of dirty buttons!

Looking forward to your pictures!
weedsgalore
Tampa, FL

November 17, 2006
12:51 PM

Post #2921654

Ok, the morning sun came up so i could take this pic..it is most difficult to capture the irridescence of someof the buttons! Just for your info. this batch came from the ebay store "Bohemian Enchantment"...FREE SHIPPING from Canada..they took my american check..(very convienient) i couldn't be more pleased with the quality..i bought 16 buttons for $28.00!! Shipped from Canada,,,the fastest service i have ever experienced on ebay so far!!! (i sound like an ad don't I?) It avereaged out to $1.75 a button...that is unbelievably cheap..as i have seen the dragonfly buttons start at 4.99 plus shipping on ebay singly!!! The cobalt blue with purple sparkle/dragonfly is my favorite..the pics do not do them justice!!! (followed by the stunning poppy flower ones..can you tell i am excited...heeeheee...) ok, enuff chatter!!! sue

Thumbnail by weedsgalore

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

November 17, 2006
12:57 PM

Post #2921667

Sue! Those are gorgeous!!! You did good! Those are cheaper than the chickens, trucks, etc. I got at Walmart. Wow! Where and how are you going to display them?
weedsgalore
Tampa, FL

November 17, 2006
1:03 PM

Post #2921682

Sal, i might put them in a shallow bowl for now..i have them laid out on the table where the morning sun is hitting...they are putting on a little show for me!! (i have more coming...embarassed blush...) psst,,,hope hubby doesn't see this post...giggle..badgirl...badgirl...weeellll..i did make some $$$'s selling stuff at the antique mall last week...ok guilt's gone..i feel better...lol...

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

November 17, 2006
1:14 PM

Post #2921712

There you go, a trade off! They are definately worth the pleasure they give!!! Pretty cheap hobby given what you paid.
pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

November 17, 2006
4:23 PM

Post #2922224

Oh man!! Those are gorgeous buttons!! I can't even pick out a favorite one either!
weedsgalore
Tampa, FL

November 17, 2006
4:37 PM

Post #2922269

Thanks guys!! aannddd...more are coming!!! Some glass beaded heart shaped ones...oboyoboyoboy...lol..

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

November 17, 2006
4:43 PM

Post #2922283

Hand over heart again!
weedsgalore
Tampa, FL

November 17, 2006
4:45 PM

Post #2922295

lol!! I might start a new thread ladies, when i next post a photo of buttons etc. as this one is getting rather long? Or if one of you want to...is that ok? sue

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

November 17, 2006
4:49 PM

Post #2922305

Fine with me. I'm on dial-up and they can get too long to load.
somermoone
Las Vegas, NV
(Zone 8a)

November 17, 2006
9:42 PM

Post #2923058

Those are wonderful!
JEALOUS!
Planning a wedding can't buy buttons, big sigh!!!!!
K~

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

November 19, 2006
9:51 PM

Post #2928379

I wouldn't know where to begin planning a wedding. Domestic, like that, I'm not!
somermoone
Las Vegas, NV
(Zone 8a)

November 20, 2006
4:31 AM

Post #2929874

Oh it has been lots of fun. I'm all for a bargin and enjoy the hunt. Just yesterday I spyed some big, dryed thistles. Brought them home, spray painted them gold and brown, DS's fiance loved them. They will go in floral arrangements. Right now they are in a vase by our fireplace. I've collected the cones that look like roses, she loves those too.

I need to remember and ask my grandma if she has old buttons. She is my Mom's stepmother and is 91. I think she has every piece of clothing she ever owned. I'm sure there are some buttons there. It cracks her up when I'm looking for something "silly" like buttons, I'm sure :-)

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

November 20, 2006
4:33 AM

Post #2929877

Glad you're having fun. I'd just be stressed

What a wonderful Grandma!!
somermoone
Las Vegas, NV
(Zone 8a)

November 20, 2006
4:45 AM

Post #2929890

She really is a wonderful lady. So sweet and humble.
She just shakes her head at me most times and smiles.
She can't hear me most of the time and I'm sure can't see me well either. She refused hearing aids and catarac surgery.
Most things are "Just too much for her"...as she says "This is just too much for me." I'm sure I am too much for her most times. I am the only one who will say, nope I'm taking your bedding and washing it. You will not go down the steep stairs to the cement basement any longer. I do not want to come here one day and find your dead body at the bottom of those stairs. "This is just too much for me." Well gramma your 91 and it's time someone took care of you just like you did for your mother. And you need new panties! Here are some pretty pink ones. "This is just too much for me." Well, your 91 and at 91 you should be wearing pink panties, she just smiles. Of course there were some white ones in there too. Couldn't find the same kind she had. Woolworths went out of business here eons ago. LOL
Life is grand, never boring here!
Take a look at the pic DH got tonight...There must be a button in there somehwere!

Thumbnail by somermoone

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

November 20, 2006
5:12 AM

Post #2929916

Hate to admit they are cute as buttons when they are so near the feeders. I love it tho! It's a good picture!

You are good to your grandma and I'm sure you keep her going. My grandma died a few years ago, just a couple weeks shy of her 98th b'day. I wish she had made it. She was only in the asisted living a year, then the nursing home for almost two. Everyone made fun of the big floppy gardening hat she always wore, but you should have seen her skin. My other grandma was never sick and made it to 87. She gardened too.
somermoone
Las Vegas, NV
(Zone 8a)

November 20, 2006
6:41 AM

Post #2929960

My Gramma has great skin too, thanks to Oil of Olay! She has kept them in business. I just had to take it all from her because something was burnign her hands and neck. It has a lot of perfume. I got her something else. She puts thick night cream on every night.

OK! I finally took the button pics.
Mind you, I have nothing compared to the rest of you. I love mine! I love that they were my DG, that they are glass. I love that they are shiny and beautiful. Weird, but I love them.
These have irradescent stones across the top.

Thumbnail by somermoone

somermoone
Las Vegas, NV
(Zone 8a)

November 20, 2006
6:42 AM

Post #2929961

These have metal shanks on the back. The one on the left is cloth covered.

Thumbnail by somermoone

somermoone
Las Vegas, NV
(Zone 8a)

November 20, 2006
6:43 AM

Post #2929962

The cameos...Only the 3 white ones are buttons. What would the others be used for?

Thumbnail by somermoone

somermoone
Las Vegas, NV
(Zone 8a)

November 20, 2006
6:44 AM

Post #2929966

These are gorgeous black hard plastic, the detailing is silver metal or some sort.

Thumbnail by somermoone

somermoone
Las Vegas, NV
(Zone 8a)

November 20, 2006
6:44 AM

Post #2929967

these are my metals

Thumbnail by somermoone

somermoone
Las Vegas, NV
(Zone 8a)

November 20, 2006
6:45 AM

Post #2929968

metals

Thumbnail by somermoone

somermoone
Las Vegas, NV
(Zone 8a)

November 20, 2006
6:46 AM

Post #2929969

misc
some still have the thread which I think is cool.

Thumbnail by somermoone

somermoone
Las Vegas, NV
(Zone 8a)

November 20, 2006
6:46 AM

Post #2929970

my glass...I REALLY love these!

Thumbnail by somermoone

somermoone
Las Vegas, NV
(Zone 8a)

November 20, 2006
6:47 AM

Post #2929971

white glass

Thumbnail by somermoone

somermoone
Las Vegas, NV
(Zone 8a)

November 20, 2006
6:47 AM

Post #2929972

white irradescent?

Thumbnail by somermoone

pepper23
KC Metro area, MO
(Zone 6a)

November 20, 2006
11:05 AM

Post #2930147

The cameos look like they could be brooches.
weedsgalore
Tampa, FL

November 20, 2006
12:11 PM

Post #2930266

O Karen, I absolutely loved your story about "Granma", you are a gifted storyteller...she sounds so cute, bless her heart! The cameo center, Pepper is right, they are an inset for jewelry..(i am a vintage jewelry dealer)...there would be a metal bezel frame that would surround the inset making it into either a pin or a pendant..i find these also set onto the top of a locket..1950's - 60's jewelry would have them. They were made in either W. Germany or Czech. They came in a variety of materials, the large top one is glass, the smaller bottom ones are plastic? right? Your glass buttons, were called "depression glass" buttons, they look like depression glass don't they? The last batch is done in opalescent glass...30's through 40's..i love the white ones and the "beaded" glass ones, same era..stretching into the 50's too! Most of yours are moulded glass..the large red daisy could be bakelite, which has some value, more likely plastic, (if if is lighter in weight). The really large buttons are coat buttons! Grandmas never wasted anything, being brought up in the depression era...when everyone was struggling..I LOVED the pic of the little bandits in the tree..a great photo!! I will go to my button books this afternoon and see what else i can find out for you! You collection is delightful! sue
somermoone
Las Vegas, NV
(Zone 8a)

November 20, 2006
5:56 PM

Post #2931283

Thank you so much!
It's fun finding out a little history of the buttons. I could go find books and look them up, but I like asking "The experts" :>)

Here's a picture of a broach I have...I know, I've probably made spelling errors...it takes too long to look up what I'm not sure of, sorry.
K~

Thumbnail by somermoone

somermoone
Las Vegas, NV
(Zone 8a)

November 20, 2006
6:01 PM

Post #2931293

I love the little blue stones in these.
And your right, those of the depression era didn't through away anything as I have found with my gramma. I remember going through DH's GGparent's kitchen when they dies. They must have had every waxed paper lining from anything they had ever gotten.
I think if more of us saved and organized (now that's funny I should use that statement, I stink at, I want to do well, but I stink)...anyway...saved some of the things we through away and take for granted we could save a buck or two for things like, oh let's say, button collecting :>)...

Thumbnail by somermoone

weedsgalore
Tampa, FL

November 20, 2006
7:00 PM

Post #2931488

Your brooch is from the 50's-60's...i can't tell but the foil backing looks like it is tarnishing under the stones (quite a common thing in vintage jewelry moisture from cleaning, hairspray or storage is the culprit)..it could be the picture..that would devalue it greatly! If the stones are sparkling condition I would value it from about $20.oo to 38.00 - it looks to be in the shape of a snowflake? Very pretty, and would look good on a coat or jean jacket..i always like to wear my vintage pins on blazers, sweaters...they are fun! sue

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

November 20, 2006
7:27 PM

Post #2931555

No wonder you love them, they are unusual and pretty!
I have metal buttons too, but your's are neater.
The unusuals, and the glass. Neat!!
The whites, and irridescents are very nice!

Your's are all fancier than mine. I have a lot of plastics with designs, thick ones, and some with scalloped edges. I love your collection!

Mine are dirty too. They were just in a box for years. I didn't find a case with see thru drawers in the sewing section at Walmart, so I'm going to look at Menards. Since I sorted by color, I'd like to keep it that way.

I love the brooch too. It all takes me back to my Grandma! Funny, my other Grandma sewed, but I don't remember any buttons at her house. If she had any, the older Granddaughters would have them.
weedsgalore
Tampa, FL

November 20, 2006
9:28 PM

Post #2931932

Sally, a little Dawn dishwashing detergent and soft toothbrush on the glass, and plastics..do not immerse any wood..or metals..for metals...jeweler's rouge cloths are gentle..i personally like the metals to keep their patina..unless they are corroded! Buttons are so very personal to the owner..especially if they give you the image of a loved one in your mind when you handle them! sue

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

November 20, 2006
11:04 PM

Post #2932202

As I was waiting for this to load in I was mentally swishing the buttons in soapy water! I have Dawn, so that is what I'll use. I'm glad you said something about the wood and metal. I wasn't sure how they washed the clothes they were on.
somermoone
Las Vegas, NV
(Zone 8a)

November 20, 2006
11:48 PM

Post #2932307

Actually it's very shiny. I couldn't get a good pic last night, the main stones are a smokey topaz blue color, while the tiny blue ones are color they apear in the picture. I think it appears tarnished in the pic but is not. I tried to get a better pic this afternoon but they all seem to look the same.
somermoone
Las Vegas, NV
(Zone 8a)

November 20, 2006
11:52 PM

Post #2932319

Thanks for the tip on the jewelry cloth too, I'll use that.
Ewwwwe shiny buttons, here we come!
weedsgalore
Tampa, FL

November 21, 2006
1:22 AM

Post #2932543

Hey girls, It is very difficult to take pictures of reflective objects...i do mirrors all made with vintage jewelry pieces..and when it comes to photographing them they are so glittery and the mirror is so reflective, sometimes the pic doesn't come out at all...as for the washing of clothes with the buttons...i am sure they either put them through the washer or handwashed...but now you want to preserve the buttons..so i would be gentle with them..It is amazing some of these buttons lasted 100yrs. or even 50 yrs.!! DONOT immerse your pretty brooch Karen, you can spray a little glass cleaner on a paper towel or even better a lint free towel..to clean the stones..or a little jewelry cleaner..i have been ruthless with pieces in the past that were badly caked with hairspray etc...brushing them with an old toothbrush..and dipping them in jewelry cleaner..bad...but i would always dry them thoroughly...water kills old rhinestones...

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

November 21, 2006
1:34 AM

Post #2932579

It's so nice to have someone who knows how to help us take care of our things.
somermoone
Las Vegas, NV
(Zone 8a)

November 21, 2006
2:40 AM

Post #2932756

Thank you! I have some earrings and a couple broaches from my grandmother (my Dad's Mom, my favorite!) also. Funny how I only knew her as practical growing up. I don't remember seeing her in earrings much. I do remember seeing some really cool heals in her closet once, only that once. Sad...Her feet were very tiny as she wasn't even 5 foot.

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

November 21, 2006
3:00 AM

Post #2932799

I remember my Mom putting on clip-ons and lipstick. Dad wasn't much of a ''going out'' person, so she didn't get to go much. Memories. My mom wasn't real tall either. She had very narrow feet. AAA's. No fancy heels.
weedsgalore
Tampa, FL

November 21, 2006
10:38 AM

Post #2933139

Hi gals, I do hope i don't sound like a know-it-all!! I reread my posts..and i sound as such!! Sorry...being in the "biz" for 30 plus years..and having a shop for about 14 yrs. I was used to having customers ask how to take care of things we are posting about...i have slipped into my "lecture mode" (I used to be pretty active in giving talks to various local clubs about V. Jewelry, my speaker's fee..was a whopping $50.00!! hehee) sometimes for free, as i knew some of these little ladies clubs had no funds..)!! sorry.. hehe.. I am not a "know-it-all" for sure...just ask my husband! lol...Sally i still wear clip-ons occasionally..but they do kill my ears..isn't it interesting the memories you people are posting? The little things these objects bring forth? I am so enjoying your posts...here's a good one...my mom, who had some nice costume jewelry couldn't find her pieces one day...only to discover my brother was taking out all the rhinestones..and selling the stones to the little neighborhood kids as "buried treasure" he had found...i DO remember how MAD mom was and had made him give back the money to the kids..with apologies to the parents..how embarassing that was...brother went on to be a nice responsible citizen..but did do a stint as a car salesman..(and was good at it!! lol) I will try and post a pic of some of the vintage jewelry i did keep...
somermoone
Las Vegas, NV
(Zone 8a)

November 21, 2006
5:57 PM

Post #2934159

Oh, please do post pics. I love the advise. It's a treat to "know people."
You know, "I know an antique dealer that was inthe business for 30 years."
"I know a button collector who buys buttons from Czech."
You guys KNOW a lady, "Who has crazy stories and doesn't know squat." But..., she is a very nice person, has some pretty little buttons and LOVES the advise, the expertise and non-expertise she gets from Buttons. She is having a lot of fun here, which she has needed. Thanks!
Somermoone~
weedsgalore
Tampa, FL

November 21, 2006
10:03 PM

Post #2934760

AND is a sweetie! As is everyone that has been posting..ok i will show you some serious gaudy, but fun vintage jewelry..i have picked up through the years..i will start a new thread..as we tried to do..but everyone keeps staying here...you will know my thread..i think "Vintage Jewelry collector" would be real original..lol..give me a couple days..as my schedule is full..right now hubby came in to remind me this is NOT the grocery store where the turkeys are kept...well...maybe One Turkey...typing right now...lol...see ya soon...
somermoone
Las Vegas, NV
(Zone 8a)

November 21, 2006
10:19 PM

Post #2934793

Are people cooking turkeyS? My hubby thinks we are just getting cones!

Thumbnail by somermoone

billyporter

billyporter
Nichols, IA
(Zone 5a)

November 21, 2006
11:10 PM

Post #2934980

Laughing! I don't mind advice and I never noticed an attitude. I don't want to ruin anything I have even if it isn't an antique. I agree the memories we remember when someone triggers them are neat. I wouldn't have come out and said ''my Mom wore clip on earrings.''

I have something I bet no one has heard of. My grandma had these glass''needles'' of perfume samples in her drawer. I'll have to remember where I put them. I broke one open to see what it smelled like and I don't even remember, so I wish I hadn't.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Antiques and Collectibles Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Sampler 1801 Ginger_H 7 Aug 20, 2012 2:34 PM
mingmimi justmeLisa 6 Oct 20, 2007 11:51 AM
Wintermoor what is this? justmeLisa 7 Oct 1, 2011 7:20 PM
Do you collect Depression Glass? What pattern? bluegrassmom 82 Apr 11, 2011 10:14 PM
What do you consider your best "collectible/antique" find? nminmd 142 May 6, 2012 3:43 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America