Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Trash to Treasure: Gazing Balls????

Communities > Forums > Trash to Treasure
bookmark
Forum: Trash to TreasureReplies: 40, Views: 1,437
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

May 16, 2006
11:10 PM

Post #2286778

Here are a few of my Trash to treasure "gazing balls", finds from yard sales and thrift shops! They need cleaning now that they have wintered out side. I think Ill use the silicone caulk to seal them up to keep the dirt and flora out!

Oh yeah! They are light fixtures and globes!! Got the most expensive for only $1.00.

Thumbnail by Eufaula
Click the image for an enlarged view.

tgif
Starkville, MS

May 17, 2006
12:04 AM

Post #2286999

Neat idea! I love the way they catch the sunlight.
I like the little guy, too!
WUVIE
Hulbert, OK
(Zone 7a)

May 17, 2006
12:39 AM

Post #2287126

Very cute!

My family laughs at me when I put old round light bulbs in the garden.

LOL

Raggedyann
Lawrenceville, GA
(Zone 7b)

May 18, 2006
8:52 PM

Post #2293484

That' s a cool idea for using the light globes. We bought these new bulbs that are spiral and long and the globe wont fit. Wait til hubby sees that they are in the back yard LOL
I haven't found a gazing ball that I like yet. It has to cry out to me! I want to make one out of a bowling ball with pieces of broken mirror glued to it. I saw the coolest dragonfly at an antique shop. It was about 2 feet long and had small gazing balls along his back. Three were silver and the last one was green. Everyone's hands were full and we were headed to the check out. At least I know where to find one now!
Eufaula, you are full of ideas! Here's a hug for you and have a good day!

(((((((Susan)))))))

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

May 18, 2006
10:35 PM

Post #2293864

Hey Y'all, and girrrrrrl Raggedy, How Ya doin', Oh you never know what I'll do next! I was laughing at the bowling ball thing, Yep! I have a couple, the only thing the grands cant pick up and break, HaHaHa!!! I've even painted a few with garden scenes for friends!
I say your pics of your collections " Raggedys" Huh? I love your crockery too, we definitely have to get together on some trades and give aways, Hee hee! My back bedroom Dresser is filled with crocheted afghans and "Bolo Quilts "I'm working on! I'm a nut for ole kitchen crockery and use them every day! I think you and I have a LOT in common!

(((((((((LYNN))))))))

Sheila_FW

Sheila_FW
Fort Worth, TX
(Zone 8a)

May 20, 2006
3:47 AM

Post #2298347

Cool gazing ball idea!
...But did anyone see 'Cocoon"? LOL!

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

May 20, 2006
9:06 PM

Post #2300546

Oh MY Heavens, Ill have to put some in the bottom of my Froggie Pond!!

Thumbnail by Eufaula

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

May 20, 2006
9:12 PM

Post #2300562

Yep its a Trash to treaure too! When we moved here the last owners left a Bath tub out back(?)!! We couldnt , at that time find where to take it , so I butied it and now it is a small fish"Froggie Pond" dont you just love my little lazy sun bathers? It also needs cleaning up after wintering but when I do get to it flowers will be all around my Froggie friends!
dahtzu
Henderson, NC
(Zone 7b)

September 24, 2007
11:21 PM

Post #4013336

Eufaula, I love your "light" glazing balls. I found a great pedestal from a yard sale, and the the next year at another yard sale I found a huge outside post light globe..and bingo, I knew what to do with my pedestal. Will post it..

Thumbnail by dahtzu

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

September 24, 2007
11:38 PM

Post #4013390

LOVE IT!!!!
dahtzu
Henderson, NC
(Zone 7b)

September 24, 2007
11:42 PM

Post #4013410

thanks darius, here's another made from part of a lamp.

Thumbnail by dahtzu

dahtzu
Henderson, NC
(Zone 7b)

September 24, 2007
11:43 PM

Post #4013417

my TtoT collage..all yard sale finds.

Thumbnail by dahtzu

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

September 25, 2007
12:03 AM

Post #4013495

toooooo Ahhhhtistic Dahling! Just Wonderful! Just what I need for tha' Pah-la! LOL!!
sticks_n_stones
Crosbyton, TX
(Zone 7a)

September 25, 2007
12:07 AM

Post #4013508

i love them all!!!! yall are so flipping creative:)
dahtzu
Henderson, NC
(Zone 7b)

September 25, 2007
12:15 AM

Post #4013534

Thank you, I love trying to make something from found treasures. Love this place, lol not getting anything done since I first came here.

Eufaula

Eufaula
Eatonton, GA
(Zone 8b)

September 25, 2007
12:49 PM

Post #4014931

I wonder how many of us DG Addicts, have developed the swollen feet syndrome, from all the sitting and reading we do! LOL!!! I cant stay away from the computer now!
plantladylin
South Daytona, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 25, 2007
1:49 PM

Post #4015083

:) Hi Y'all ... I am really getting to Love this Trash to Treasure Forum!! Wow! What creative minds some of you have! I don't have a creative bone in my body but have gotten some wonderful ideas here!

Eufaula: I love your pond! About 30 years ago a close friend of ours was remodeling one of their bathrooms and I wanted their old bathtub so bad ... wanted to put it in the yard as a planter ... he and my husband both just rolled their eyes and thought I was nuts! I never got that bathtub, but man, if I ever see another old one somewhere, I will definitely put it to use!

I saw the bowling ball yard art thread awhile back. Our friends son in law gave me three old used cracked ones to make gazing balls with. I plugged the holes of the first one and tried to decoupage pictures from a flower magazine onto it ... it's wrinkly and doesn't look good so I think I am going to start over. I really want to break some mirrors around the house (LOL) and do a mirrored one! I just love that look in the garden!

Keep all these great ideas coming ... sure helps folks like me who can't think up unique stuff on their own!

Georgart53
Clifton, TX

October 15, 2007
4:54 PM

Post #4085516

akkk I bought my gazing ball. Oh well .. the next ones will be old light globes!!!!

very noyce!
tkelley
Gainesville, MO

January 12, 2008
8:35 PM

Post #4392247

Oh my! My husband is going to be so mad at you ladies, he's always saying we have enough trash around the house but you just gave me lots of news treasures. What a find! I found this sight and all of you. Alot to treasure! Thanks, terri
dahtzu
Henderson, NC
(Zone 7b)

January 15, 2008
2:18 AM

Post #4403279

tkelley, Welcome aboard. I think you will love it here. so many talents to see. People are friendly too.
Faye
petal_pal
Marion, IN

January 16, 2008
5:34 PM

Post #4410360

Another idea for old bowling balls. I filled the finger holes with quick seal concrete repair mixture, except one hole. Put a piece of rebarb in the ground, sat the bowling ball on it and painted it flat white a couple times then used candy apple red on one and candy apple green on the other. Later moved to places in the yard. have plans to do a few more this spring. I did coat with a clear exterior sealer later. Very cost effective and they won't shatter!!

I also planned but have never done the mosaic but I was going to use pieces of old cd discs. They still give them away and I still get one in the mail once in a while from internet providers. I have have a stack of them. My problem there was cutting them up without breaking them and distorting the hollographic (sp) nature of them. I finally soaked them in hot water and cut them with sharp kitchen scissors. Maybe someone else has better idea for that? I guess I should take some pictures with my new digital camera that I haven't used yet.
Dutchlady1
Naples, FL
(Zone 10a)

January 16, 2008
5:37 PM

Post #4410375

An article about gazing balls will be posted in the article section soon. Lovely to see so much imagination being applied to these.
Georgart53
Clifton, TX

January 17, 2008
8:15 PM

Post #4416084

wow that sounds really cool petal pal. I use them in my garden to scar away the birds.. I don't know how well they work but they look pretty waving in the breeze.. :P

I don't know of any way to cut them up ... does the hot water soften them?
petal_pal
Marion, IN

January 19, 2008
3:20 PM

Post #4424378

Seemed to soften them up. I have a band saw and it would probably work. Didn't have it at the time I was experimenting. I'll say one thing, this forum beats K Marts crafting and designer spokesperson! I also used the CDs on some of the chimes we made.
Georgart53
Clifton, TX

February 1, 2008
7:00 PM

Post #4482844

I use them for my chimes too!!!! I have lots of chimes and the wind catcher isn't always big enough to catch the wind. So I add the cd's to them and they chime so much better.
I love this forum.I wish I could subscribe to it.. but ...

I saw a guy on TV.. DIY or something took bit glass bowls and put water inside then sprayed paint onto the top of the water then swished it around. The at the end when he had all the colors he wanted he painted the entire inside gold or silver. I would love to do that and them put lites in them.. But probably you couldn't do that.. Might burn the paint.. or just use a very low wattage like night lite bulbs. Would look pretty in a garden at night.
doccat5
Fredericksburg, VA
(Zone 7b)

February 1, 2008
11:11 PM

Post #4483749

petal_pal, you can "microwave" those cd for about 30 sec. They'll crackle and pop, but doesn't hurt the microwave and you get interesting patterns on the cds. Use to use it for destroying sensitive materials on cds. Works like a charm :)
Brender
Topsham, ME
(Zone 5a)

February 2, 2008
2:27 AM

Post #4484540

Georgart53 - I saw that same guy with the I guess marbelized bowl thing. I think it was on Crafters Coast to Coast or That's Clever - whatever they called it. I think you could put the mini christmas lights in there. They don't get that hot, I don't think. I have had them in a jar of potpourri and nothing bad happened...maybe I was just lucky :-D. Lights would look really fab in a bowl like that.

doccat 5- never heard of CDs in the micro. Sounds like I'm going to give it a whirl!

gardenlady123

gardenlady123
Plainwell, MI
(Zone 5b)

February 4, 2008
12:59 AM

Post #4491995

i absolutly love the garage sale finds... i always miss the good stuff. dradit!!! where are all the good yard art items??? none around here. i did find an adorable pair of bunnies at a sale once for only cents for the pair...i have them on my shelf in the living room. i like them. Ronna
katiebear
mulege
Mexico

February 4, 2008
1:33 AM

Post #4492181

A lot about "good finds" is in the beholder. My friend Tony worked for me for several years - each of us was regularly pulling out of the trash something the other had put there. Down the line we would each proudly show off what we had done with the rescued items. We admired each other's work extravagently and encouraged each other in future projects He has never learned to love going to the dump but nobody's perfect..

I also have a good collection of "trash to treasure" type books and I review them occasionally.

I've been told some neighbor's refer to my place as "Sanford and Son," others use it as an example of what one or two people can do to turn the tide of conservation, reclamation and reuse.

katiebear
Dutchlady1
Naples, FL
(Zone 10a)

February 4, 2008
1:36 AM

Post #4492201

I got four really beautiful glass balls at a garage sale yesterday; they cost me $ 40 total. I will post pictures tomorrow; these were handmade ornaments, only one had a small crack but not anything you'd notice and one had a loop so I could hang it in a tree. I was REALLY jazzed since even the mass produced ones that KMart etc. sells are usually $ 20 each.
LouC
Desoto, TX
(Zone 8a)

February 4, 2008
1:37 AM

Post #4492206

OH, Katie. My kids used to refer to my kitchen as "Sanford and Son". If I can find some pictures, will scan them for you. Sisters.
katiebear
mulege
Mexico

February 4, 2008
1:38 AM

Post #4492212

Who was it that said "A clean house is the sign of an uncreative mind" or something like that.

kb
Brender
Topsham, ME
(Zone 5a)

February 4, 2008
2:29 AM

Post #4492406

haha! Teasing, of course. A clean house AND a creative mind would be my preferred m.o...

This message was edited Feb 3, 2008 9:32 PM

Thumbnail by Brender

toy747
South Florida, FL
(Zone 10b)

February 4, 2008
2:33 AM

Post #4492424

I love it! LOL!
CascadeMom
Cascade Mtns, WA
(Zone 6a)

February 4, 2008
3:35 AM

Post #4492712

This whole website is SOOOO addicting.
So many ideas, projects, I can't wait for the snow to melt!

What a lot of creative people. I am blown away
Maxine
Western, WI
(Zone 4a)

February 5, 2008
11:51 AM

Post #4497618

Dutchlady1, you mentioned an article about gazing balls soon to be posted to the article section, is this here on Daves?

Maxine
Georgart53
Clifton, TX

February 5, 2008
7:33 PM

Post #4499021

YES Brender that's where I saw it.!

I'd love to do that. While this doesn't fall into the gazing ball categorie, I am a potter so I have lots of pottery stuff that gets broken or I break because I don't like it also ceramic and porcelain stuff that breaks in the house. I am going to mastic them to a terracotta pot and then grout it.. very excited to see the out come, It will take me awhile to get around to it though.
pinkpoodlegirl
Rock Hill, SC
(Zone 7b)

February 5, 2008
7:40 PM

Post #4499043

do you have a link to the article?
Brender
Topsham, ME
(Zone 5a)

February 5, 2008
8:01 PM

Post #4499130

Here's the link to the painted glass bowl Georgart53 and I were admiring.

http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/shows_hcc2c/article/0,3110,DIY_27284_4938426,00.html
pinkpoodlegirl
Rock Hill, SC
(Zone 7b)

February 5, 2008
8:22 PM

Post #4499203

Very cool! Thanks for the link!

gardenlady123

gardenlady123
Plainwell, MI
(Zone 5b)

February 6, 2008
4:40 PM

Post #4502504

wow i really like that idea... going to have to try it. i really like gazing balls. my husband doesnt understand!!! but who cares right? thanks for the link, Ronna

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Trash to Treasure Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
here's my little treasure wheel Gourd 67 Jul 14, 2013 12:59 PM
Thank you Terry for this forum! Tradewind_64 26 Apr 17, 2010 4:52 AM
My second plant stand Vee8ch 30 Oct 18, 2007 12:48 AM
A Filigris Arbor Made from Trash ButterflyChaser 58 Sep 4, 2010 8:25 PM
Pretty in Pink Vee8ch 17 Jun 6, 2008 10:38 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America