Photo by Melody

Plant Identification: SOLVED: What kind of rose is this?

Communities > Forums > Plant Identification
bookmark
Forum: Plant IdentificationReplies: 5, Views: 115
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
JSS
Cordova, MD

July 17, 2001
4:02 PM

Post #8638

Help! This rose bush was already in the garden of the home I moved into last fall- but not in good shape. I pampered it this year and was blessed with these beautiful flowers.
Can anyone tell me the possible name of this?
thanks! I'm looking forward to hearing from all the rose lovers out there!

Thumbnail by JSS
Click the image for an enlarged view.

eyesoftexas
Toadsuck, TX
(Zone 7a)

July 17, 2001
6:58 PM

Post #95598

I don't know the name of it , but it sure is a Beauty! If I were the previous owner, I'd dug it up and taken it with me! Hee Hee.

Jerrie
tiG
Newnan, GA
(Zone 8a)

July 17, 2001
7:00 PM

Post #95601

me too Jerrie, that is so pretty!!!!
JSS
Cordova, MD

July 18, 2001
12:16 AM

Post #95768

These roses really are sweet and have a wonderful smell also! thanks! I also posted another pic showing the bloom s open a little more on another thread "what kind of rose is this part 2". Hope someone can help! It's too unique and pretty not to know it's name!
Jeanne
sunflower
Olive Branch, MS
(Zone 7b)

July 21, 2001
2:54 AM

Post #97495

If the rose is upright in habit and the blooms are large,produced mostly one to a cane, and the canes are just about the thorniest you've ever seen, it's probably Snowfire. If they are only moderately thorny and usually one to a cane, then it's probably Love. You can research either of them at HelpMeFind http://www.helpmefind.com/sites/rrr/rosetest.html

There's also a third possibilty,Simply Wonderful, if it's more of a rounded "shrub" form with multiple medium to small blooms per stem. How long would you think the rose had been there? Simply Wonderful is a fairly recent introduction versus the other two. Snowfire is probably the easiest to find in a local nursery, though I've seen a few local nurseries carry some J&P Loves recently.

The bush form, leaves, canes, and even hips of a rose can often be as good or better clues to a positive ID than the blooms alone.
JSS
Cordova, MD

July 21, 2001
3:02 AM

Post #97511

Thanks Sunflower! I 'll check out the names you gave me and let you know! I'll also go out tomorrow and research all the info on the bush itself! I appreciate your input and learn something from youall everytime! I'm really new at growing roses, but love it! My mom was terrific at it and know that I'm older I'm enjoying it! Wish I had listened to her tips more!! And I gues also the adage is true, "Mirror, mirror on the wall, I AM my mother after all!"
Jeanne

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Plant Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Help with identification of this shrub dave 86 Nov 11, 2013 6:20 PM
SOLVED: Can Anyone Help Gayl 9 Jun 23, 2014 4:57 AM
SOLVED: help identify herb seeds????? dignbloom 6 Nov 4, 2010 8:08 PM
SOLVED: Mystery perennial dave 22 Nov 3, 2014 6:02 AM
SOLVED: Name my aloe??? tom1953 21 Jul 15, 2012 1:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America