Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

SOLVED: Is this physostegia?

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

This is a pass-along plant that was called "Devil's Castle" by the dear lady who shared it with me. I haven't been able to find anything with that common name.

It has the square stem and saw-tooth leaves like Physostegia, but it has distinctive dark purple/black vertical stripes all along the stems. It hasn't bloomed yet, so I can't share any details of its blooms. It's about 2 1/2 feet tall. Any ideas?

Thumbnail by Terry
Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Terri I believe I have this also and there is no name on the plant - am also waiting for it to bloom. I too thought it was the obedient plant.

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

Calling out the big guns - Baa, PoppySue and Jerseyguy, ya'll are so good at ID'ing stuff....any ideas?

ehrikon, Switzerland(Zone 6b)

it is

LOL thanks Go_vols I guess I'll have to answer now.

Well Physostegia is sometimes grown here but its not often seen so I cannot give you a confident YES. The square stem certainly puts in in the mint family. The stripe may be a natural variation/mutation and I am aware that some people collect these curiosities, it would be interesting to see if the offspring carry on this trait.

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

A definite yes it is :-)

Princeton, NJ(Zone 6a)

Could be Physostegia but not certain. may be the white variety that tends to grow taller and lankier. Post a pic when it blooms for a positive i.d.

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Mine is over 4 foot high!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.