I like long walks on the beach...

Lombard, IL(Zone 5b)

I will post more pics of Big Sur and Sequoia in a few days, but I just had a quick question. How does a 25 lb girl leave deeper footprints than her 160 lb dad? Actually it looks like everything that has been on that beach left bigger prints than me.

This message was edited May 19, 2006 5:28 AM

Thumbnail by willis_mckenna
Eatonton, GA(Zone 8b)

Too sweet Dad!!!! Little girls always leave big impressions,havent you checked that big dent in your heart lately!!!

Chandler, AZ(Zone 9b)

cute! i bet your daughter had a blast exploring the beach!

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

You are pulling on my heart strings. I took my daughter to a beach in the northern Sequioas when she was only 6 days old. We had the time and my wife was willing so we carried her maybe on the same beach. Thanks Kazooie.

Lombard, IL(Zone 5b)

Sofer, I still can't get over that 6 days old trip you took. My friends think WE are adventurous. Looks like I am following in your footsteps. What was your next trip?

Here we are with her making her first cairn. I'll give her the leave no trace lecture later :)

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Willis I am heading down the N. Saskatchwan R next week for the beginning of my Voyager paddle to lake superior. I won't have the time to do it all at once but I want to do the whole thing. N Sask - Sask- Lk Winnipeg- rainy lake- Boundry waters- Lk Superior - Lk Huron- LK michigan up Muskegon River to my childhood home in Michigan. I plan on 2 years to do it all (or more).
When we took Leia at 6 days she just sat in the belly pack and slept while we walked amongst the giants in the rain. Hey a cairn is OK for her to build you have to learn sometime that it is a pathway. right now she is traveling a long distance from one cairn to another 10 ft away. The world is larger to her.
Hey look at this beach I just left up r. in Alaska today.

Thumbnail by Soferdig
Lombard, IL(Zone 5b)

That beach looks slippery at best. That sounds like a very ambitious plan Sofer. What are your plans when you hit the Great Lakes? Are you using a canoe or a sea kayak? I don't remember if I said this already, but I used to go to the Boundary Waters every year when I was a teenager with my dad and his friends.

The world is definitely larger for her. I only wish I knew what is going through her head when she sees some of these things for the first time. Here she is in Big Basin Redwoods State Park walking among the Redwoods. My wife & I swear that it is easier camping with her than a hotel. In the hotel we had to worry about if she made noise, or worse, when other people would make noise dragging their luggage around and jumping around in the room above us.

Lombard, IL(Zone 5b)

Here she is in Sequoia National Park. Those are some cool trees. I love walking on the spongy ground out there. How long do you think I can keep a Sequoia in a container in Z5? I have an unopened cone that I can probably get viable seeds out of. I wonder if I should heat the cone to open it like mother nature does, or cut it open? I think I will post this over in the tree & shrub forum and see what Dax or Resin say. I also have some large pine cones gathered from the trip and will see if they can ID the trees from their cones. I know most of them I think, but they know better then me. Sofer, don't tip them off where I was on vacation as that will make it easier for them to guess.

Lombard, IL(Zone 5b)

Here we are at Pfeiffer Big Sur SP on a dayhike to a waterfall and through a grove of redwoods. She loves her new backpack. Kelty replaced the previous one that broke on the airplane on our last trip to Utah. I love the customer service of the quality companies. The old one was maybe 15 years old and the frame broke at a hinge and they just shipped out a totally new one for free. North Face also has great customer service on their equipment, so if you can afford it buy the good stuff as it lasts forever, or they fix or replace it no questions asked.

Lombard, IL(Zone 5b)

Here is just a pic of the Big Sur Coast. Very pretty drive but get gas before you get to Big Sur as it was around $4.65 a gallon there. We were smart at least.

Lombard, IL(Zone 5b)

Here we are at Piedras Blancas to show her some Elephant Seals. She got a kick out of that once she realized they were alive and not just rocks on the beach.

Chandler, AZ(Zone 9b)

hi willis!
neat pics! look at all those seals! makes me want to go and visit the coast again. i love the coast.

glad to hear that kelty replaced your pack. my back country pack and sleeping bag is northface and that is good to hear that they will replace them if i have any problems. although, they have been holding up great so far. rei also has good return policies. i had bought a pair of rei brand hiking boots and they didn't seem to fit my feet right. i wore them for 1.5 years and then decided to return them. they gave me a full refund on them. i was surprised since they were pretty broken in.

keep the photos coming...

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

willis, keep the pics coming! And the stories that go with them. They are all very entertaining.

Lombard, IL(Zone 5b)

Here is my baby (Alyssa) helping set up the tent. She loves that tent. She has logged more nights in a tent than most of my friends put together. Cityslickers, the whole lot of them.

Lombard, IL(Zone 5b)

Her first tick! It was the smallest tick I ever saw (you might not even see it in the pic). I think it was the first attempt at a meal for the tick also. It had its head in her but didn't start sucking blood yet. I was able to get the tick out with a tweezer. A coworker asked if I used a lit cigarette to get the tick out. I would not recommend using that cigarette method on a squirming crying baby, and besides that I don't smoke.

Lombard, IL(Zone 5b)

Her favorite hobby was picking up pine cones. Looks like I need more pine trees in my yard. She'll get tired of the Colorado Spruce cones after another year. Sofer, hows abouts some Ponderosa seedlings? I bet ya got plenty of those. Float'm down in a canoe.

Kazooie, I agree that REI has great return policies. They have taken back things which I told them I wasn't even sure I bought there (a Yellowstone hiking book for example). They also happily took back an opened freeze dried meal that had all sorts of bugs in it. My wife & I discovered that up in the snow around 12,000 ft in the Rockies on a June camping trip. Luckily I always pack an extra dinner. The freeze dried package was sealed but had a spider web and some bugs wrapped in silk, etc. Nothing alive, but still not what my wife likes for dinner. My wife wrote a nice little letter to the freeze dried food company and we promptly received a large box filled with a large supply of all sorts of meals. I still highly recommend the food company.

That is a tiny tick!!! Ticks are common here at my house cause we have 18 trees on less than an acre. Used to be 22 but have taken some down and have lost some. We have lost 2 trees this year too but we haven't taken them down yet so we will be down to 16. Oh yeah, your daughter is very cute!!!

Chandler, AZ(Zone 9b)

alyssa can probably pitch a tent faster then me... :) looks like she did have fun with those pine cones. when we go camping, i really don't bother to pack any toys for the kids because they just keep themselves so busy with all the "toys" that mother nature provides. they never complain that they are bored.

infact, at this moment i am taking a break from getting packed for our first camp trip of the year. we are getting together with about 10 other families for a group trip to a secluded camp site in the mountains north east of phoenix. the kids have such a blast playing with all their friends and the adults have a great time just sitting back and relaxing while the kids play. there is a stream that runs next to the camp and last year the kids spent hours catching tadpoles. never a dull moment for them.

well, willis, i am not surprised that you got a whole box of freeze dried food from that company. they did not want any trouble or a bad rep. that is great that they did that. those meals can get pricey, but we still prefer to take them backpacking. they are so light to pack and easy to prepare, especially after a long day of treking. guess if worse came to worse, you could have eaten that package and had a little extra protein with your meal. :)

well, back to packing. i am looking forward to getting out of the heat for the weekend. it is supose to be 110 here this weekend. blah....

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

I really enjoyed your photos and your posts. That's a whole other world to me...I'd love to see those giant old trees. Your little girl is a heart-melter. :)

Lombard, IL(Zone 5b)

Thanks gardenwife. It is an entirely different world over there with their big trees. One of the large limbs fell from the largest Sequoia this winter. The limb was at least 6 ft in diameter and probably bigger than many trees here. My wife & I are thrilled that Alyssa likes camping. It will make our choices for vacations much easier.

Kazooie, hope you had a good trip and stayed away from the heat.

Chandler, AZ(Zone 9b)

hi willis! we did have a good time. it was much cooler up in the high country then here in the valley in phoenix. we found some great swimming holes along one of the creeks near where we were camping and went in for a refreshing dip.

the kids had a great time playing with all the other kids. never a dull moment for them. they looked for caterpillars, tadpoles, and frogs. i suggest that if you know any other families that like to camp too, you should try doing the a group trip sometime. it is a lot of fun.

Lombard, IL(Zone 5b)

Kazooie, that is the plan. My brother lost his backbone in the marriage and is afraid to take his 2 girls out in the wilds. My best hope is my camping buddy who's wife is due in July. They will be campers for sure. Still most of my friends don't go for the whole camping thing. Nothing like a dip in the desert. Are you a fan of Edward Abbey or Craig Childs? Good night everybody.

She just keeps getting prettier and prettier!!

Chandler, AZ(Zone 9b)

yes she does!

willis, we actually were camping up in the forest (ponderosa pine, mostly). that is the neat thing i love about living in arizona- there are so many different eco zones that you can go and visit, even in one short day trip.

we have had to "convert" some of our friends to campers. they will go with us and other campers for their first trip, and enjoy it enough to join us again. although, some have told us that they probably would never have gotten started doing it if they had to go by themselves. so keep bugging your friends, they might do it someday.

i have heard of childs and abbey, but i have not read any of their books. childs has done some neat trips in utah. i would love to just go off and explore like that, but for me, there is the "real world" to deal with.

have a nice evening!

Lombard, IL(Zone 5b)

Thanks everybody. Kazooie, The Secret Knowledge of Water by Childs is very good as is most of Abbey's stuff like Desert Solitaire. Child's does seem to do trips without any thought of consequences if he dies. I know what you mean about being able to get out of or into the heat with different zones. You guys are lucky out there (Utah is still my favorite over AZ). As far as working on my friends, there is one or two that might take their kids camping, but the rest are beyond hope. Been working on that bunch since 1996 or so.

I wish I had pics scanned in from other trips. I really need to do that some time as I think I have some neat pics at least.

willis, hurry up with those pics!!! You take awesome pictures and we all love to drool over them.

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Nice log of the trip Willis. Enjoyed your pictures of love./

Awww jeeze! She is such a little doll face! I would have loved to have been on that beach when she realized the rocks were alive! The age of wonder.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images