Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Plumerias: Panama plumies

Communities > Forums > Plumerias
bookmark
Forum: PlumeriasReplies: 53, Views: 510
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
vossner
Richmond, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 19, 2006
3:39 AM

Post #2294907

this is a pic of one of seeds I received from GordonHawk--thanks Gordon! I will use this thread to chronicle my growing experience. I had never seen the seeds before. The FAQ section that Clare created has lots of info on how to grow from seed.

Thumbnail by vossner
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

May 19, 2006
4:39 AM

Post #2295046

Nery, I got some too, and those are the biggest plumeria seeds that I've ever seen. The normal size is about half that big. Happy sowing! Mine are already sitting in warm, moist soil in my mini greenhouse!
Malestrom
Plumiedelphia, PA
(Zone 7a)

May 19, 2006
8:52 AM

Post #2295256

Mine have soaked and been given a lil pre sprouting cocktail.
Now they are in a covered tray of sterile soil on a heating pad.
OOOOO Im bustin to see these launch!!
WAAA-HOOOOOO!!!
IM BEGGING FOR MORE!!!!
PLEASE SEND MORE!!!
Thanks Gordon!!!
Im naming the seedlings 'Malestrom's Panama Hawk'
I hope Gordon likes it. ;^)
vossner
Richmond, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 19, 2006
5:30 PM

Post #2296484

I went thru the FAQ for growing from seed, I didn't see anything about soaking. How long should I soak them? thanks.
Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

May 19, 2006
6:44 PM

Post #2296708

Nery, some people soak them instead of using the moist papertowel method. Michael will have to tell you how long he soaks them for. It is basically the same as having them in a moist warm paper towel for a few days, and when you see them start to sprout, you can stick them in potting soil. This time of year, I stick them directly into soil and mist frequently.
Malestrom
Plumiedelphia, PA
(Zone 7a)

May 19, 2006
6:49 PM

Post #2296723

I soak till the shell softens, then I peel it back so the embryo is in the soil and moisture.
Im not talking bout a water soak either.
Im talkin frankensoak here heh...

Kell

Kell
Northern California, CA
(Zone 9b)

May 21, 2006
5:11 AM

Post #2301786

Oh WOW this is going to be an exciting thread to watch. I wish I had some too.

Kell pouting in California.
Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

May 21, 2006
5:21 AM

Post #2301802

Kell, I just sent the ones that I had left over to my friend in Thailand, but I bet Gordon will send you some if you email him. He is a sweetie!

Kell

Kell
Northern California, CA
(Zone 9b)

May 22, 2006
7:17 AM

Post #2304772

Oh that is OK, Clare. I will live vicariously. LOL
Malestrom
Plumiedelphia, PA
(Zone 7a)

May 22, 2006
12:42 PM

Post #2305108

I e-mailed him and havent heard back as yet.
He must be a busy fellow. ;^)
vossner
Richmond, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 22, 2006
8:15 PM

Post #2306383

kell, i have more than enough and would happy share with you seeds or seedlings. Will plant tomorrow.
Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

May 23, 2006
2:14 AM

Post #2307532

Nery is soooo sweet!

Kell

Kell
Northern California, CA
(Zone 9b)

May 23, 2006
6:40 AM

Post #2308239

She is my gaud sister, Clare.
Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

May 24, 2006
12:51 AM

Post #2310814

ROFLOL, Kell!
vossner
Richmond, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 23, 2006
5:02 PM

Post #2424390

finally got around to taking a pic. all 15 seeds germinated, I have already given a few away. Gordon, your plumies are all over the Lone Star State!

Thumbnail by vossner

Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

June 23, 2006
5:11 PM

Post #2424419

Congrat, Nery! They look great! Gordon is a very generous person, isn't he? And so are you! Thanks, Gordon!
Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

February 25, 2007
7:52 PM

Post #3224222

How is everyone's Panama White seedlings from GordonHawk doing? I noticed the strangest thing yesterday. I have them scattered all over the place -- two are in the greenhouse; two are against the house; and two are out in the yard.

The two out in the yard, which is the coldest, dampest place of the three locations, got black tip! My Singapore got black tip too. Interesting! I just snapped the tip off with my fingers and put them against the house. The others did not get black tip. This just re-enforces the theory that black tip is related to damp cold conditions as it is much warmer in the other locations. We just had some cold rain here as well. Here's a picture of them last August.

Thumbnail by Clare_CA

vossner
Richmond, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 25, 2007
8:05 PM

Post #3224267

hiya Clare & Gordon. Mine are about the size of the ones in your pic. They are in the garage, itching to come out. Not all of them lost their leaves. About 1/2 of them have 2-3 leaves, while all the non-Panama plumies have none. In about another 2 weeks, I will be moving them to my patio. We had a cold spell in early Feb. which we hadn't had in 5 years (according to weather people) and my tropicals took a beating. I think they will come back but it has been a while since I've seen so many things dead. So much brown around my yard. I was spoiled.

Have been out working w/ the roses, time for some Diet 7-Up and mindless TV.
Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

February 25, 2007
8:32 PM

Post #3224369

Hi Nery! I hear ya girl, but fortunately, a lot is starting to come back from the cold spell we had. I hope yours do too. I bet they will with a little heat and sunshine.
tucsonplumeriaz
Tucson, AZ

February 26, 2007
1:45 AM

Post #3225313

i got BT in a warm gh once.
Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

February 26, 2007
7:15 PM

Post #3227326

Dete, was the greenhouse consistently warm, even at night? It could be stress that causes black tip, whether cold stress or dampness or some other kind of stress. I always seem to get it in the winter or spring when it rains.
GordonHawk
Brooklyn, NY
(Zone 7b)

March 2, 2007
5:32 AM

Post #3240053

OH..I'd missed this thread before.. What fun...
Kell...oh girl.. did you get yours from Nery... you know I'd have sent them to you.. I guess I sent everyone too many of them
Nery...well they all sprouted good going there... but how could they refuse you... kindred spirit and all..
Michael...OHsorry... must have missed your request bye-mail..in a deletion flurry at some point...sorry... Idid run across a few of them the other day.. If you still wish to have more .. I'minPhilly at the flower show on Thursday.. this comming week..I can hand them off to you then.. Or resend your address.. and we can chance shipping... I'm sure they must still be kind of OK...although not weeks from the pod as before..maybe not 100% as Nery got ...but surely you should get some to grow..
Clare...AW..gee ..thanks...I'm happy to share the excitement and joy..with lovers...
Big.. yes they were...as were the trees... and such fun...climbing out on a limb..some20' in the air to snag an open pod ... with not yet launched seeds... the pods them selves... must have beem 16"long..and a good 4" wide.. my seeds are doing better than the cuttings...
All the best there ...Gordon

This message was edited Mar 2, 2007 1:45 AM
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

March 3, 2007
12:13 PM

Post #3243690

Here are my Panama Hawk babies this morning. They had to stay in the dark garage for almost a week while I was out of town and the nights were in the 30's; they did not like that at all and lost all their leaves. Our temps are back to normal with days in the 60's/70's and nights in the 40's/50's so they will start growing again soon.

I have given a number of them away to like minded gardeners and to several hort society plant sales.

The taller ones are about 15 1/2" with circumferences of 2". The tiniest one has black tip, I'll have to put that baby in pediatric intensive care. alice

Thumbnail by ardesia

vossner
Richmond, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 3, 2007
12:39 PM

Post #3243739

wow. mine are a LOT smaller than yours. Mine were in garage too since about Dec. Maybe I should have watered a little more. I promise to be a better mommie in the future. Mine are sprouting leaves already though. maybe they've forgiven me...
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

March 3, 2007
1:49 PM

Post #3243925

I've let mother nature take care of the watering during the winter. Now I reeeeeaaaally want to start fertilizing but I'll be good and hold off a bit longer. Perhaps just a bit of diluted alfalfa tea now? What do you think?????

Thumbnail by ardesia

Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

March 3, 2007
6:06 PM

Post #3244545

Alice, I can see the one that has black tip. You can just cut that tip off, and it will branch below the cut. The straight ones don't need a stake any longer, but the crooked ones do. I would pull up those stakes on the crooked ones and place it flush against the stem and tie it at the base with a plastic stretchy tie. Then gently pull the top portion toward the stake and tie it where you feel some tension. In a week or more, you can tighten it again until it is completely straight. It looks like the one on the far right and in the middle need that.

Forgot to say: Thanks, Gordon! It's great to see you here!

This message was edited Mar 3, 2007 11:07 AM
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

March 3, 2007
9:42 PM

Post #3245057

Thanks Clare, I'll trim that black tip off first thing tomorrow! Should I dust the cut end with a fungicide?

Gordon, this has been such fun learning about growing plummies from seed; thank you giving me the opportunity by sharing your bounty.
GordonHawk
Brooklyn, NY
(Zone 7b)

March 4, 2007
3:32 AM

Post #3246005

Alice... well it was my pleasure... to share these with you... and everyone.. there is an OLD tradition in my family
[ Southern ] not to thank a person for seeds or plants ...as they had little really to do with it...but to promise to grow them as best as you might..and to give thanks to God for his bounty.. I'm really just the gatherer or waterer.. just thought I'd share this old time tradition with Ya'll..kind of cute... reading the word bounty brought it back to mind...it's from back in the days when there was great dependency on what you grew or chose to give away..
Oh...Got some great news today which some might have seen posted already,, Shazz in Brisbane Australia had received some of the wild Panamaian seeds..planted back in October summer there...and they hadn't sprouted..and the import folks were blamed...perhaps irriaditing them...others were growing in the flat so it wasn't dumped...now they were just noticed to be sprouting...and overtaking the others in size..from what I understand...enclosed is a picture sent showing them... never give them up without due time.. might be a survival technique... from a tree growing naturally in a real hot area..have the seeds await cooler weather..in Oct..it was real hot there then and didn't get cool till now.. Just a thought... Gordon
can you guess which are Gordon's Wild Panamanians

This message was edited Mar 3, 2007 11:41 PM

Thumbnail by GordonHawk

PerennialGirl
Winnipeg, MB
(Zone 4a)

March 4, 2007
4:25 AM

Post #3246139

Those are huge seeds! Ardesia your babies are looking good!! Are these seeds available for sale anywhere?
:) Donna
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

March 4, 2007
11:11 AM

Post #3246430

LOL, my grandmother used to say the same thing; that's why I just thanked you for sharing your bounty. We were always told to word our appreciation carefully and never to say the actual words like seeds or plants. Silly old custon but awfully sweet I think.
vossner
Richmond, TX
(Zone 9a)

March 4, 2007
3:20 PM

Post #3247022

I like that name. Gordon's Wild Panamanians. I baptize thee as GWPs in Richmond, TX!!!!
Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

March 4, 2007
7:52 PM

Post #3247733

Alice, it couldn't hurt to dust with a fungicide, but the latest thinking is that Black Tip isn't a fungus but rather a reaction to stress, but no one really knows at this point.

Great news, Gordon. Those are energetic babies for sure.
lopaka
Davie, FL
(Zone 10b)

March 6, 2007
8:40 AM

Post #3252935

Very nice...
Clare the LL i sent you produces seeds like this..
They will be average to big at first until she gets around 10+ feet then she will produce bigger pods and seeds..
Nice of gordon to share the seeds!
Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

March 6, 2007
6:27 PM

Post #3254205

Interesting, Robert! I'm getting out of the seed sowing business, I'm afraid. I have way too many seedlings right now!
Malestrom
Plumiedelphia, PA
(Zone 7a)

March 9, 2007
7:40 PM

Post #3264956

Hi Gordon,
Ive been absent rom the forums for a bit.
Kind of hit and miss for a while.
I would have planned to meet you at the Philly Flower show had I read sooner.
Im guessing its today you are there, enjoy!
I wont be able to make it today.
Thanks for the offer.
My situation has changed somewhat due to health and the conversion of my 'basement greenhouse' to a bedroom for son #2.
My ability to care for Plumies has become somewhat restricted.
I do have a friend in Australia who is dying to try some of the Panamanian Giants.
All of mine germinated with great success and size, easily 4 times the regular size and growth rate.
I passed a few onto Lopaka in Fla.
Itll be interesting to see what all develops.
GordonHawk
Brooklyn, NY
(Zone 7b)

March 9, 2007
8:16 PM

Post #3265084

Michael...OH good..You had the joy of some of them ... and they were so cooperative for you..nothing beats experience.. and I'm sure this tree they came from.. had been at it for 100 years..
Yes..I was at the Philly flower show yesterday.. I was in and out on only 5 hours... I wanted to excerise some... just walkingabout is difficult...but to carry ..lift or twist or climb.. I can keep loose.. I was chompping at the bit to reach out and prune a weakor yellow leaf to work it out a bit... but out of 137 billion leaves... I couldn't find a brown/yellow or spotted leaf... perhaps someone had beat me to it..
Get better there... we'll catch you on another trip... I could have delivered..let me knowif you are headding this way..I think there'sanotherfew years in this location SO..pass along to me the address via d-mailof your friend in Australia..and I'll package him a gift.. stuffed w.the wild bunch.. All the best..there..Gordon
PerennialGirl
Winnipeg, MB
(Zone 4a)

March 10, 2007
1:28 AM

Post #3266236

Sorry to hear about your health problems, Michael. You take care of yourself!

Gord do you still have a seed or two left?

lopaka
Davie, FL
(Zone 10b)

March 10, 2007
4:26 AM

Post #3266782

Mike you gave me seeds?
I don't remember this are you sure because you gave me a seedling i think but i don't think i got seeds from anyone..
Malestrom
Plumiedelphia, PA
(Zone 7a)

April 4, 2007
1:30 PM

Post #3354730

Negative on the seeds Lopaka
I sent you 1 or 2 Gordon Hawk Panamanian Giant Seedlings.
I still have 6 lol!!
I thought i was down to 4.
I gave some seedlings to Micah also.
I sent 2 seeds to my Australian buddy.
He sent a really nice mix of plumie seeds to me.
Did I also send you a cutting of MRS Malestrom?
lopaka
Davie, FL
(Zone 10b)

April 4, 2007
11:25 PM

Post #3356941

Lol not sure anymore bud...
I get 100 thai plumies a week from thailand now..
I can't find anything lol..
I will look again..
Malestrom
Plumiedelphia, PA
(Zone 7a)

April 4, 2007
11:33 PM

Post #3356963

Dang!!
I was really hoping you had one to track its growth for me there.
I sent one to Roger, 1 to Suki and 1 to you I believe
I also sent 1 to TX but forget who sheeesh...
Im very curious how shes doing in other parts of the country.
With heat and a longer season she must get some really cool varieties of red in her petals.
OH well... :(
Maybe ill send ya another lol!
lopaka
Davie, FL
(Zone 10b)

April 4, 2007
11:50 PM

Post #3356993

Lol i am going outside now with a flashlight and see..
BRB!

Too many plumies too dark..
I will check tomm bud..
I am sure i have it but don't remember any seeds..
Did you give me seedlings and not seeds??

This message was edited Apr 5, 2007 12:15 AM
Malestrom
Plumiedelphia, PA
(Zone 7a)

April 6, 2007
1:45 PM

Post #3362063

Roger,
I sent seedlings no seeds bro.
Just seedlings and a cutting.
Youll know Mrs. Malestrom when she blooms
Your garden will smell like Cherry Candy or Cherry Coke.
lopaka
Davie, FL
(Zone 10b)

April 7, 2007
12:58 AM

Post #3364076

Lol no offense bud you don't know my garden..
:)
Right now all kinds of gardenia's and pikake (jasmine sambac's) are in full bloom along with my Michelia Alba's...
Plumies will never top those smells..
But because the plumie came from you i will put it on the highest table so i may see it when it blooms and then it will stand out among the rest..
I got inflo's coming out of my ears..
Last year was a waste because of all the rain and this year with the drought and heat i got sooo many..
Just got another box of goodies 5 of each!
http://img159.imageshack.us/img159/2659/200703281856it0.jpg

Morning II
Madame Poni H
First of the water
Angel Comet
S. Pum Sunshine
Golden Ray
Tiger
J105
Coral Cream
Lilac Clouds
Sexy Pink
Red Shell
Domeno
Salmon Pink
Longg Diamond
Dwarf Siam Yellow
Tornado
Toffy
Kasartsin
Metallica
Beautiful Thailand
Lilac Star
Red Srilangka
Samoan Red
Miracle
Unicorn
Doris
Maggi
Red Marshall
Sally Moragne
Rim Fire
Da Nai Delight
Ronda
Butterfly H
Cindy Moragne
Marino Rainbow
Chor Jumpa
Ladyfruit Hybrid
Catherine B
Reflect Red
Peung Roi
PK 110
Pink Ban Na Karn
Red KaDang GHA
Belle Vista
tucsonplumeriaz
Tucson, AZ

April 7, 2007
1:01 AM

Post #3364083

i just don't know what to say...=o)
lopaka
Davie, FL
(Zone 10b)

April 7, 2007
1:18 AM

Post #3364105

:)
I just can't get over the Jasmine Sambac's..
It's like heaven the smell is out of this world..
The M.Alba mix in with that and now i am high and don't want to work on the plumies..
I was also bless with a seedpod from my quandamooka (50 total)...
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/119/290384541_86895b1944_o.jpg
I will not giveaway or trade for those seeds because i don't want to risk losing those seeds with another grower methods..
However I just plant them in special hormones and buried them in my plugzs which Hetty nickname them Brownies.
When they sprout and get a little bigger I might give a few away..
;=)

I leave you with a night shot of one of my Gardenia's from Vietnam..
http://farm1.static.flickr.com/214/445860405_1431894d03_o.jpg

This message was edited Apr 7, 2007 1:30 AM
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

April 7, 2007
7:52 AM

Post #3364343

Robert, I'll bet you hold the record for the most flower pots per square foot anywhere. :-)

Where do you keep all these wonderful cuttings you are rooting? It sounds like you have (or need) acres and acres of land.
PerennialGirl
Winnipeg, MB
(Zone 4a)

April 7, 2007
10:30 AM

Post #3364814

Wow, lopaka!!! Where did you buy all those plummies? Thanks for the beautiful pictures!
Clare_CA

(Zone 10b)

April 7, 2007
4:35 PM

Post #3366023

Awesome and impressive list and pictures as usual, Robert! Congrats, Dude! I can't wait to see pictures from you this summer.
LhasaLover
(Tammie) Odessa, TX
(Zone 7b)

April 8, 2007
11:38 PM

Post #3370334

I love that night time pic. Bet they smell heavenly at night. Drooling over all the roots on those new ones.

Tammie
Malestrom
Plumiedelphia, PA
(Zone 7a)

April 9, 2007
2:05 AM

Post #3370562

Nice lil package bro.
All Thais from the look of the graft union eh?
The gardenia is heavenly!
No worries on the gals i sent you im sure they're happy ;)
I would treasure those Quandamookas!
That is without a doubt my favorite Oz variety and I have several Oz plumies from Brad.
I think the seedlings will be gorgeous.
I wonder whom the pollen parent wuz?
I wouldnt give any concern to a drought except where potted plumies are concerned.
I have over 200 that went over 6 months with no water and they are fine.
I kept them bone dry and also had a fan on them to prevent winter rot.
I havent lost a one to it this year yahoo!!
I just grafted several small tips like 1 and 2 inch of DSP to seedling stock.
Way too cold here yet to go out and im getting ancey lol!!
Graftamania coming up!
lopaka
Davie, FL
(Zone 10b)

April 13, 2007
2:15 AM

Post #3385476

[quote]Robert, I'll bet you hold the record for the most flower pots per square foot anywhere. :-)

Where do you keep all these wonderful cuttings you are rooting? It sounds like you have (or need) acres and acres of land.[/quote]
noooooo.. that's Clare!
;=)

[quote]
I love that night time pic. Bet they smell heavenly at night. Drooling over all the roots on those new ones. [/quote]
No plumie in the world can ever compete against the night blooming jasmines but then again most plants can't either..

All of those plants and many more are for sale...
As of now 150 new and rare varieties are ready to go on ebay..
My thai friends ask me to do this as a favor and in return i get whatever i want..
I am not the seller only the caretaker and if anyone wants one of these just dmail me and when the seller or sellers tell me when they are going to post them on ebay i will tell you..
I think many will like this because no more waiting for a half dead plant from thailand but in a couple of days you will get a plumie injected with my mojo juice already growing..
No expensive shipping charges either is another point i should make :)
I am only blasting them with 2000 watts of metal halide lights 16 hours a day and injecting them with hormones and humic acids to get them back on their feet...
If you live in Texas or Cali you are risking losing your plumies by customs because they are burning many many shipments from thailand..
This is a fact because i already replace some shipments as a favor for the sellers..

No shock treatments as the plumie will be buried in pure sterile coconut fibers and her roots coated with a very expensive humic acid solution..
If these plants died on you then you are doing something terribly wrong and should think about a new hobby :)

It is now offically New Years in Thailand and they are blasting each other with water so i am guessing sometime Monday i will hear from them..
Malestrom
Plumiedelphia, PA
(Zone 7a)

April 13, 2007
9:08 PM

Post #3388339

LOL!!
A new hobby?
Like what?
Chasing lizards? :P

Id love to see photos of the flowers when they go up bro ;)
PerennialGirl
Winnipeg, MB
(Zone 4a)

April 15, 2007
11:22 AM

Post #3393850

lopaka, I would luv to buy a couple if I can afford them.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Plumerias Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
What about a "new forum" for plumerias? Plumeriagod 56 Apr 25, 2007 2:15 AM
Feeding CaCajun 9 May 12, 2007 12:09 AM
underplanting plumies vossner 21 May 19, 2008 10:33 PM
have neve hard this happen to one of my plumies before junglebob 56 Sep 19, 2007 3:28 AM
South Florida Blooms! \(^o^)/ lopaka 184 Jun 12, 2007 5:30 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America