Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Pacific Northwest Gardening: Does bamboo grow in Spokane?

Communities > Forums > Pacific Northwest Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Pacific Northwest GardeningReplies: 24, Views: 282
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Adriaan
Spokane, WA

May 20, 2006
6:05 PM

Post #2300180

Does anyone know if bamboo grows in Spokane, which has cold winters (below zero is not uncommon; many days in the teens and twenties with snow in winter). I would like to have suggestions on the type of bamboo that grows in Spokane, which I'd like to incorporate into my Japanese garden design.
Thank you.
bluelytes
Olympia, WA
(Zone 8b)

May 21, 2006
3:19 AM

Post #2301572

ADRI,
NOO, NOTHING grows in Spokane!! Its a DESERT there!! lol

You might check http://www.ciscoe.com I think there is a bamboo link there.
I hear there is a place somewhere around Bellevue, (but the name escapes me at the moment), that does ONLY bamboo. I am sure they could answer your ?'s.

Or try, http://www.americanbamboo.org/ChapterPages/PNWChapterInfo.html

and
Soferdig
Kalispell, MT
(Zone 4b)

May 21, 2006
6:53 AM

Post #2301887

Adrrian I had a hardy bamboo going in Montana (Kalispell) for 3 years but it never took off. I have given up on them. Our area is more mild than Spokane. I live near Flathead lake and that keeps the bad cold ones away. But if you get one to go let me know.

growin

growin
Vancouver, BC
(Zone 8b)

May 22, 2006
6:50 AM

Post #2304752

I think its called bamboo gardens of Seattle. I think if the soil was properly prepared to be constantly soaked in the summer and dryer in winter, it'd do fine.
BrokenGeiger
Redmond, WA

May 22, 2006
4:54 PM

Post #2305832

Actually it's on my way to work - http://www.bamboogardenswa.com/
It's in Redmond, WA. Specifically bamboo. Very knowledgable folks, it's great to walk through there too.

My assumption - Spokane - will need more care for the type of bamboo that will grow in your zone, but should still grow.
dottik
Oakland, OR
(Zone 8a)

May 22, 2006
8:55 PM

Post #2306507

According to what I have learned, there are some species of Bamboo that really take the cold. You might check the Garden Watchdog for nurseries that carry Bamboo. In addition to the one mentioned above, I know there are several in Oregon that ship, and I'm sure all will let you know what species can grow in you area. It seems to me that the Fargesia genus is one that is quite hardy - nice because it is also a clumping bamboo which means it will eat up your home sslloowwllyy rather than overnight like the runners. LOL Dotti
NWDave
Gig Harbor, WA

May 23, 2006
5:02 AM

Post #2308125

If bamboo will grow in Spokane then the next tough question-- why do you want to plant it? I had one small patch in Olympia. Ten years later I had to replace part of the driveway and a concrete walk. I sold the property. Everytime I see a patch of bamboo it causes me to have deep concerns for the people that planted it.
bluelytes
Olympia, WA
(Zone 8b)

May 23, 2006
5:56 AM

Post #2308184

ADRI,
Let us ALL KNOW WHAT you found out, wouldja??

Best;
bluelytes
amandaemily
Gulf Coast
United States
(Zone 9a)

May 23, 2006
5:00 PM

Post #2309458

Adriaan,

Yes bamboo will grow in Spokane, but once it gets established, good luck keeping it contained.

I have a patch in my yard in Colville that I've been trying to kill for the last 8 years.
Soferdig
Kalispell, MT
(Zone 4b)

May 24, 2006
7:22 AM

Post #2311878

Don't listen to them Get clumping Bamboo and put it in a small stock tank buried. Nothing to worry about. I can't grow it here.
wannadanc
Olympia, WA

May 28, 2006
3:12 PM

Post #2324891

I love my bamboo ... I love the running bamboo...I love the clumping bamboo...I plant all the bamboo I can get my hands on ...it is like an Easter egg hunt each spring looking for the new culms from the black bamboo. If any come up in places not wanted, they are pruned OR transplanted.

The grove of black bamboo is absolutely delightful ...I hope to put a chaise lounge out there this summer ...

Yes - it does help that I am on rural acres ...not in town. Long after I am gone, someone may want to shoot me - but it will be too late!
bluelytes
Olympia, WA
(Zone 8b)

May 28, 2006
3:46 PM

Post #2324979

WANNA,
You in the market for a couple of Panda Bears??

Regards;
bluelytes
wannadanc
Olympia, WA

May 28, 2006
4:07 PM

Post #2325042

LOL Blue - all huggable bears welcome here!!!!!!!

The most awesome boo groves are in Costa Rica - they are as big around as some medium sized alder trunks and in the wind, they make that hollow boo sound as they clank against each other. Even our timber bamboo can't get that big!!! But who wants to live in Costa Rica ----just to see the boo and to hold the 3 toed sloths?

Vicki
Soferdig
Kalispell, MT
(Zone 4b)

May 29, 2006
1:56 AM

Post #2326736

I want to live in Costa Rica. On the west coast and surf when I'm in my eighties. Ya Sure ya betcha. Cheap realestate and good government. And equatorial bliss. Many people are retiring there.
wannadanc
Olympia, WA

May 29, 2006
2:03 AM

Post #2326760

The jungles of the East Coast are right along the glorious water and the wakeup sounds of howler monkeys up in the canopy inspired my construction of an outdoor sleeping place - totally screened - so no mosquitoes ... but neither are there howler monkeys.
Soferdig
Kalispell, MT
(Zone 4b)

May 29, 2006
2:06 AM

Post #2326773

Yeah I would like to see a few howlers but not live next to them. The national parks are beautiful and cover much of the rainforest on the central mountains. Have you spent much time there? I want to sail down there from SanDiego.
wannadanc
Olympia, WA

May 29, 2006
2:18 AM

Post #2326812

It was a once in a lifetime trip - headed up by a local gardening guru - Ciscoe Morris. Holding the sloths - at a rehab center - was truly a defining moment for me. Google for "Buttercup" sloth and you will meet her at the center. I think we were gone about 10 days - packed a whole lot of living into that, for sure!
Soferdig
Kalispell, MT
(Zone 4b)

May 29, 2006
2:36 AM

Post #2326863

I couldn't take 10 days with Ciscoe Morris. He never stops talking and NEVER STANDS STILL. I used to know him back in the days at his nursery on 99 in Edmonds. I still see him from time to time on Gardening by the yard, and Seattle TV. A wonderful man!
wannadanc
Olympia, WA

May 29, 2006
2:44 AM

Post #2326996

Your description is right about the public image - but in private, as on this group tour, he is like all of us...interestiing dichotomy!
bluelytes
Olympia, WA
(Zone 8b)

May 29, 2006
2:51 AM

Post #2327018

WANN,
You MET Ciscoe!! Ohhh LA LA!! hehehe

Regards;
bluelytes
wannadanc
Olympia, WA

May 29, 2006
3:30 AM

Post #2327150

Hey, Blue - you bet your brussel sprout casserole, I did!!!!!!!!
frogbutterfly
East Wenatchee, WA
(Zone 5b)

September 18, 2007
9:45 PM

Post #3990549

james@bamboogardener.com is another website to explore. They gave me some fine advise obout growing bamboo in East Wenatchee. Climate kinda like Spokane. Good luck!
katie59
Woodinville, WA
(Zone 8b)

September 27, 2007
6:34 AM

Post #4022070

I used to live across the street from the Woodland Park Zoo. Every so often you could hear the howler monkeys going at it from there. It was almost like living in the jungle, but without all the bugs and snakes. LOL
ClaireW01
Vancouver
Canada

October 30, 2007
5:24 AM

Post #4138395

I'm so new at gardening I'm not even born yet, but I see many lush bamboo growths? groves? shrubberies? here in Vancouver, B.C.! They seem happy as clams!
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

October 30, 2007
5:38 AM

Post #4138407

People in Spokane actually plant "MORNING GLORY". Not something you would do West of the mountains. So, you can't take them all seriously about the bamboo. If you do find some that will survive tho, it probably would be a good idea to contain it in a buried tub or something like Sofer suggested.

Jeanette

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Pacific Northwest Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cannas and Agapanthus in the PNW? SalemSunshine 14 Mar 1, 2011 10:08 PM
Tomatoes - when to transplant? Leehallfae 17 May 5, 2014 8:08 PM
Anyone want some fish? Pixydish 33 May 27, 2009 5:38 AM
only one bloom on my rhododendron this year JoieM 27 Jul 11, 2007 3:51 AM
transplanting asparagus shinegirl36 10 Aug 8, 2009 4:00 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America