Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Mid-Atlantic Gardening: Pruning azalea

Communities > Forums > Mid-Atlantic Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Mid-Atlantic GardeningReplies: 3, Views: 8
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
callum323
Mendham, NJ
(Zone 6b)

May 21, 2006
10:03 PM

Post #2303462

Hi,
Thanks for the identification. Any pruning advice?
We also have a andromeda Japonica bush that looks drab after just blooming. Should I prune the Andromeda as well?

Thanks,
Gaby

hudulu
Alexandria, VA

May 23, 2006
11:49 AM

Post #2308458

Prune your azaleas and andromeda any time between now and July no later or you will not have blooms next year.
MaryMD7
Chesapeake Beach, MD

May 23, 2006
12:29 PM

Post #2308573

My advice? Don't assume you HAVE to prune them. Neither andromeda nor azalea particularly needs pruning -- and both are often pruned BADLY. The look a little drab after blooming because, well, they're done blooming. Once the spent flowers fall off and the new growth begins, they'll look fine (although azaleas just aren't all that attractive other than when they're blooming which is one of the many reasons I think people are nuts when they plant nothing but azaleas in their home landscapes). Especially if you're new to this property and these plants, I strongly suggest that you just leave them alone for a season or two.
levilyla
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

May 26, 2006
12:01 PM

Post #2318583

I agree with MaryMD!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Mid-Atlantic Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Mid-Atlantic Gardening forum Terry 51 Jan 6, 2009 12:54 AM
Happy Hollow trip in MD who's in??? magoobu 48 Apr 26, 2007 12:41 PM
rocks??? nikki_conway 68 Jan 18, 2011 6:26 PM
Liriope - evergreen here? pennefeather 18 Aug 2, 2010 6:18 AM
Pineapple sage recipe to share. ladygardener1 18 Nov 5, 2010 4:03 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America