AuthorContent

Tammy

Tammy
Barto, PA
(Zone 6b)

May 23, 2006
12:13 AM

Post #2307138

I hope this thread is not too far off topic - but I hoped that beekeepers might be knowledgable
about bees in general.

I've got these really big buzzing bees around the back side of a shed. I have my mushroom
soil or compost delivered near by. They never bother me. Someone told me they are
carpenter bees. Should I be trying to relocate them? Do they do damage?

Tam
Yuska
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 8b)

May 23, 2006
3:51 PM

Post #2309223

Hi, Tam. Carpenter bees are so named because the females often cut holes in wood to make burrows for egg-laying. Interesting that they are attracted to the mushroom compost - maybe it is the woodchip base of the growing medium that tempts them. They are pollinators, too, so are probably good to have around. Here's an article:

http://www.everythingabout.net/articles/biology/animals/arthropods/insects/bees/carpenter_bee/

Yuska

Tammy

Tammy
Barto, PA
(Zone 6b)

May 23, 2006
11:51 PM

Post #2310672

Thanks for the link Yuska. I don't think they are attracted to the compost - I mentioned it
only because they are there buzzing around me but never bother me. I think they are
working on the shed but I haven't looked hard for their holes. I'm happy to have pollinators
around and as long as they aren't drilling into my house or 200 yr old barn, they can
enjoy their current digs.

Tam
Davart
Farmington, KY
(Zone 7a)

May 27, 2006
3:40 AM

Post #2321309

They're drilling into your 200 yr old barn they like old dry wood that has an easy fly-way to get to. Look of piles of "saw dust" then look up and there you'll find the holes they can in time weaken the wood to a point that the structure will fall depending on how many you have.
This might not be nice and green but when I find their hole I grab the chaulk gun with Liquid Nails and fill the hole up as much as I can to ... 1. stop them and 2. give a little strength back to the wood. I get dozen of them in my barns. Yes they can be helpful and they can eat your barn too. Make take a few years but those hole don't grow over.

oh P.S. never been stung by one don;t think that's their style. But I have sent a few sailing with a swat of the hand as they hover.

This message was edited May 26, 2006 10:42 PM

Tammy

Tammy
Barto, PA
(Zone 6b)

May 27, 2006
2:35 PM

Post #2322048

Thanks for the tips. We haven't seen them in the barn (yet). I just told my DH your suggestions
and he said that sounded like something we could do. He's seen the holes in the shed. He's
going to fill in the holes & paint it. (Its in need of paint)

I wonder if we push them out of the shed, they'll move on to the barn? Or would they just expand
their population and get there anyway?

Tam

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beekeeping Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
To catch a honey bee... WUVIE 10 Mar 25, 2007 11:18 PM
Dead Bees countryfarms 17 Oct 7, 2010 11:42 AM
New Beekeepers SwarmCatcher 10 Sep 12, 2009 3:51 PM
Bee sting - bee stinger mygardens 27 Nov 12, 2008 4:04 PM
Bees in the ground starlight1153 45 Sep 9, 2009 9:54 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America