Does any one make YoYo Quilts?

Eatonton, GA(Zone 8b)

I know others do this but I had never seen one . My Mom showed me what was left of her YoYo bolero her Grandmother had made for her when she was 5, my mom is in her 80s now. I thought it beautiful so I tried to imatate the YoYos into a quilt! I stuffed each YoYo with polyester batting, and made them puffy . It is turning out really nicely. When I finish I will give it to my MoM.
((E))

Thumbnail by Eufaula
Pleasureville, KY(Zone 6a)

That looks like a modified "flower garden" pattern. Pretty.

Angleton, TX(Zone 9a)

So cheerful and colorful. I have heard of the YoYo quilts but have no idea how to make one. Your mom is going to be so proud of this. She is so lucky to have such a thoughtful daughter.

Lawrenceville, GA(Zone 7b)

Oooooohhhhhh that is pretty! I know your mom will love it!
I have a queen size bed, hint, hint!! LOL
Honey when do you sleep? Between gardening, sewing and all the other wonderful things you do, you make me tired! I think I need to have my thyroid checked!
I learned how to quilt as a teen in home ec. and still have the pillow I made. We learned how to make yo-yo's. Not sure if I remember that part, but am sure I have a book around here somewhere with the pattern.
When we were in Al. for mothers day, I saw tons of quilt books at the antique store. I didn't buy any because I start one project then it's awhile before I get back to it :( I have many 12" quilt squares started but it will be winter before I get back to them. Last day of school is today and I don't know if my son wants to learn to quilt. Wouldn't hurt him tho! LOL

Love ya,

Eatonton, GA(Zone 8b)

Thank you all for the compliments! My YO Yos are a winter working project! I mean I really hate T.V., but I sit there while my husband watches(TV) and I do projects! YoYos ,chrocheting, knitting are are the ones I do in the winter. These I really enjoy after I get some length on them 'cause they keep my lap and legs warm while I work! Bet that sounds familiar to all of you?
YoYos are really simple, you just cut out circles twice the size you want the actual YoYo to be! Then do a simple running stitch( I find it easier by hand) along the edge! I draw up the circle and stuff it with polyester,then finish closing the edgesby tucking them in and tightening the draw thread,and knotting off! Then when I accumulate enough YoYos I attach them to each other at four equal points! Thats it!! I sit and make YoYos till I fill a box then I start sewing them together!

Headland, AL(Zone 8a)

When I was a young girl, my grandmother taught me to make ragdolls out of yoyos. They were really neat. When my son was born, I made one for him. We used to whip out one in about a day as kids....for her senior citizens fund raiser sale. The hardest part was the heads because we had to buy faces, which were hard to get the needles through...but the one I made for my son. I made the face out of muslin and emboridered the face on. It was a lot easier.

Eatonton, GA(Zone 8b)

Oh My Gosh Bama, I hadnt thought about those in Years!!! Brings back Memories!! Just Love to think about the things we used to have around to play with and they never were bought they were made, by someone who loved us!!!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images