Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Carolina Gardening: No-seeums, anyone try this?

Communities > Forums > Carolina Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Carolina GardeningReplies: 4, Views: 19
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
CoreHHI
Bluffton, SC
(Zone 9a)

May 24, 2006
4:00 AM

Post #2311679

I'm thinking of plating a few Tobacco plants next year in the hope of killing off no-seeums. Anyone try this? Tobacco plants kill bugs and I read somewhere on this site that a guy had dead Gnats all over his Tobacco plants. Light bulb goes on. LOL. I live in Bluffton SC about 1 mile from the ocean and maybe 10 miles from GA. No-seeums get intense around here in the spring and fall, trying to figure out something to cut down on their attacks. Going to give the Tobacco a try, something like this.http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/774/index.html

Anyone have a good way to stop no-seeums? Candles etc don't really do much, been their tried that.
jw828
Mount Pleasant, SC
(Zone 8b)

May 29, 2006
10:58 AM

Post #2327510

I've used the crushed leaves of 'santolina', and rubbed them on my skin to keep away the no-seeum's. Works pretty well, and they don't get as huge as tobacco plants! Any variety seems to work, and they're a pretty plant, so you can incorporate them into your garden scheme - I have several, at different spots in the front and back, so we can just snag a little branch whenever we need to!

CARAT

CARAT
Vegas,NV Filbert, SC
(Zone 7b)

May 29, 2006
4:09 PM

Post #2328273

Okay, can you actually see no seeums and if so what do they look like. What do they do? I just learned about the black flies and someone mentioned these little devils also.
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

May 30, 2006
1:09 AM

Post #2329727

Sand gnats, the worst plague we deal with here. Carat, you probably won't have the problem up in York county; at least not of the same intensity.
I never heard of tobacco repelling them but I have heard if you rub wax myrtle leaves on your skin they are supposed to stay away. Don't think that works though.
CoreHHI
Bluffton, SC
(Zone 9a)

June 2, 2006
5:28 AM

Post #2342607

I have some wax myrtles, I'll give that a try. As far as space I have a big yard so a couple Tobacco plants are fine space wise and the one I linked to is suppose to have a strong sweet smell at night. I'm going to try the Tobacco just because I don't see it growing around here so I'll give it a try.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Carolina Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Helllo Snoutherner 16 Apr 13, 2007 8:22 PM
Beautiful day Rosykay 14 Mar 20, 2009 11:32 PM
Flame azalea spartacusaby 20 Jun 21, 2007 4:17 AM
What is it? CarolinaTracer 6 May 5, 2007 1:05 PM
Hardiness success stories Tropicanna 102 Oct 16, 2007 7:29 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America