Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Carolina Gardening: No-seeums, anyone try this?

Communities > Forums > Carolina Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Carolina GardeningReplies: 4, Views: 19
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
CoreHHI
Bluffton, SC
(Zone 9a)

May 24, 2006
4:00 AM

Post #2311679

I'm thinking of plating a few Tobacco plants next year in the hope of killing off no-seeums. Anyone try this? Tobacco plants kill bugs and I read somewhere on this site that a guy had dead Gnats all over his Tobacco plants. Light bulb goes on. LOL. I live in Bluffton SC about 1 mile from the ocean and maybe 10 miles from GA. No-seeums get intense around here in the spring and fall, trying to figure out something to cut down on their attacks. Going to give the Tobacco a try, something like this.http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/774/index.html

Anyone have a good way to stop no-seeums? Candles etc don't really do much, been their tried that.
jw828
Mount Pleasant, SC
(Zone 8b)

May 29, 2006
10:58 AM

Post #2327510

I've used the crushed leaves of 'santolina', and rubbed them on my skin to keep away the no-seeum's. Works pretty well, and they don't get as huge as tobacco plants! Any variety seems to work, and they're a pretty plant, so you can incorporate them into your garden scheme - I have several, at different spots in the front and back, so we can just snag a little branch whenever we need to!

CARAT

CARAT
Vegas,NV Filbert, SC
(Zone 7b)

May 29, 2006
4:09 PM

Post #2328273

Okay, can you actually see no seeums and if so what do they look like. What do they do? I just learned about the black flies and someone mentioned these little devils also.
ardesia
Saint Helena Island, SC
(Zone 9a)

May 30, 2006
1:09 AM

Post #2329727

Sand gnats, the worst plague we deal with here. Carat, you probably won't have the problem up in York county; at least not of the same intensity.
I never heard of tobacco repelling them but I have heard if you rub wax myrtle leaves on your skin they are supposed to stay away. Don't think that works though.
CoreHHI
Bluffton, SC
(Zone 9a)

June 2, 2006
5:28 AM

Post #2342607

I have some wax myrtles, I'll give that a try. As far as space I have a big yard so a couple Tobacco plants are fine space wise and the one I linked to is suppose to have a strong sweet smell at night. I'm going to try the Tobacco just because I don't see it growing around here so I'll give it a try.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Carolina Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Helllo Snoutherner 16 Apr 13, 2007 8:22 PM
Beautiful day Rosykay 14 Mar 20, 2009 11:32 PM
Flame azalea spartacusaby 20 Jun 21, 2007 4:17 AM
What is it? CarolinaTracer 6 May 5, 2007 1:05 PM
Hardiness success stories Tropicanna 102 Oct 16, 2007 7:29 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America