ROAD TRIP to DUBUQUE and beyond !

Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

Linda_IA, Alwaysweeding ,Dax 080 and I went on a little roadtrip this morning. We left CR early to go see a concrete ornament place just across the line in Wisconsin plus the Dubuque Arboretum.

Here are Dax 080(Becky), Alwaysweeding(Colette) and Linda_IA (Linda) checking out the ugliest angel in the place.

Thumbnail by Wandasflowers

Oh, where to start???

Becky liked this Birdfeeder ? lightholder ? with a Chinese dragon wrapped around it.

Becky & Colette were fascinated by some of the Gargoyle collection...

I liked the Griffins and dragons and angels for my mythological statue theme...

I'm resting here on one of the many cool benches...

This one is either my hubby on his new "mid-life crisis" Harley or a truly strange gargoyle....

We were fascinated by the range of dog & cat statues.

A nominee for the "Naked Ladies Club"?

Colette chose a Gargolye, Linda grabbed a Butterfly Angel, I took a Dragon and Becky took a Gargoyle Fountain + a Sleeping Cherub!

(Zone 5a)

Here is a pic of Becky (and Linda in the background) browsing among the angels and dragons.

Thumbnail by AlwaysWeeding
Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Hey did you guys see a statue of a Jack Russel Terrier. I'm looking for one and none found. Looks like your gardens are getting expensive. Hee Hee.

(Zone 5a)

Wanda picked out a nice dragon for her mythological collection.

Thumbnail by AlwaysWeeding
Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5b)

This place truly had the most extensive selection of concrete statuary I've seen around. Wanda: were you going to post the name & address of the company? I can't find my business card (already). I think it was named Dream Gardens. I love my fairy - will have to post a pic once I get her in place!

Dream Gardens--- just off highway 61-151. Between exits 1 & 2 on Badger Road. You can see it from the highways...

Lots of dogs--MIGHT have been a Jack Russell terrier. Call him?
563-663-0271

Got to go back to deadheading. Do you think I'll get anyone for my little Iris Garden Tour this weekend?

(Zone 5a)

That is off highway 11 and 151....on hwy 35

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Thanks for the phone #. I'll call. Steve.

lilyfan was here yesterday for the garden tour & we talked about the Dream Garden. I think we'll go EARLy for the Wisconsin Round Up so we have time to shop a bit. I could use a new bench for my back corner....

Sand Springs, OK(Zone 7a)

great trip wonderful statues !

This message was edited May 29, 2006 9:07 PM

Linda, was that you erasing "language" you used when your new Butterfly Fairy fell on your toe?

Did one of you say you needed a giraffe for your beds????

The cement goodies just went on & on. Now llilyfan is insisting we leave Iowa early for the Upper Midwest Round up so SHE can go statue shopping. I think she is planning to drive a flatbed....

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

I wonder if artists who make concrete art have as much fun as the pottery artists like in the movie "Ghost". If that is so we need a movie of the concrete being pored into the molds. Wow!

Why Soferdig - your imagination runs WILD! Dax

West Central, WI(Zone 4a)

How in the world would someone actually transport a concrete giraffe? We are talking concrete here! And, it's really tall. Couldn't you just see your giraffe and it's friends, the hippo and rhino, located just outside the edge of the woods near your lawn. Now that would be a conversation piece for the neighborhood. Can you imagine the traffic jams? People would be bringing their kids along to take pictures with them.....and trampling through your flower beds along the way.

Never mind......not such a great idea after all. LOL

Flat bed semi? That's how amny of them end up in this garden sculpture place...

the guy offered to deliver to Cedar Rapids for $100 - that is about an hour and a half away from them. So if you really love that giraffe or hippo, or other large item and you are close to them, there is a way

So, how do you 'walk" the darn thing into your yard???

My dragon moved into a "cave" with red wiegla bushes towering over him. Hard to grow anything there , but he is perfect!

I'm just betting that he's not making the trip to Wisconsin for $100. Can I ask just how much that wildlife is selling for?

I paid $55 for a garden fairy that is about 3' tall. His prices were very reasonable for what we pay in Cedar Rapids and nearby. I'll let the others tell you what they paid for theirs - I wasn't paying attention. This place IS in Wisconsin, although just over the Iowa border.

Hi - I don't have a pic yet of my new fountain, but this sweetie was $35 and he's a beauty! Dax

Thumbnail by dax080

And he's much larger than he looks! here he is sleeping in MY garden....

And here is "Puff" in his new home....

I really like 'Puff'.....I don't usually do cute. Unusual/weird/different is what works for me. I love it when others do cute angels and the like, but at my house they seem out of place.

Puff is NOT the kind of dragon I would like to have crawing out of the dark of night at me. Kind of a Harry Potter dragon. So I gave him a silly name. "Puff the Magic Dragon" kind of fit in with "Nessie" the Loch Ness Monster , "Gruff" the Griffin and my other mythological garden figures...

OK, next road trip, I'm getting one of the sleeping angels even if Wanda and Becki have them already. Becki: looks great!

So we can all have "matching" guardians? Now THAT is too cute for words.... :)

llilyfan & I plan to leave early next week for the Janesville Round Up so we can check out statues for her garden....

Got to watch my budget--and my back in this "fast" crowd...

Moss Point, MS(Zone 8b)

It's a good thing that place isn't close to me. I'd be running back and forth and soon facing financial ruin. I saw so many I'd like from your pics. I want half of them at least.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.