Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Pacific Northwest Gardening: transplanting oregon grape

Communities > Forums > Pacific Northwest Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Pacific Northwest GardeningReplies: 3, Views: 3
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
mauryhillfarm
Vashon, WA
(Zone 8b)

May 28, 2006
4:22 PM

Post #2325088

I transplanted 2 oregon grape plants (mahonia aquifolium) about a month ago. They were about 3 feet tall and had been getting too large for the location I had them in. I watered them really well and didn't let them dry out, but they are both looking pretty bad...browning and reddish leaves. Was I supposed to prune them way back? Do they take after being moved? Is this a futile effort and I should just take them out and put something else in? Any information apreciated. thanks.
KatyMac
So. Puget Sound, WA
(Zone 8b)

May 28, 2006
4:31 PM

Post #2325113

I don't know anything about them except that the one a neighbor gave me and planted for me last fall didn't make it over winter. I wasn't particularly fond of it anyway but didn't want to offend him.
Gwendalou
Langley, WA
(Zone 7b)

May 28, 2006
4:51 PM

Post #2325173

If you really like it, I'd give it a year. sometimes they never really look that great the first season and it takes until the following year for them to recover.

Gwen
Soferdig
Kalispell, MT
(Zone 4b)

May 29, 2006
2:41 AM

Post #2326939

I collect them here in montana and place them in my natural woodland. I use a long spade shovel that I have flattened and cut a 3 to 4' circle, 4" deep under the group of small plants (8-10" tall). Then I lay them in the new area with soaked peat moss 2 parts and 1 part native soil. Then I keep soakers on them for the dry time the first year then they do pretty good. Ours here don't get as big as they do over in the rain forest.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Pacific Northwest Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cannas and Agapanthus in the PNW? SalemSunshine 14 Mar 1, 2011 10:08 PM
Tomatoes - when to transplant? Leehallfae 17 May 5, 2014 8:08 PM
Anyone want some fish? Pixydish 33 May 27, 2009 5:38 AM
Does bamboo grow in Spokane? Adriaan 24 Oct 30, 2007 5:38 AM
only one bloom on my rhododendron this year JoieM 27 Jul 11, 2007 3:51 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America