Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Mid-Atlantic Gardening: RCN48, you're holding out on us!

Communities > Forums > Mid-Atlantic Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Mid-Atlantic GardeningReplies: 22, Views: 14
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
hart
Shenandoah Valley, VA

May 30, 2006
4:19 PM

Post #2331588

Look what I stumbled across. Rick's Custom Nursery open house this weekend.

Sat. and Sun. June 3-4, 9-5

The nursery is Open by Appointment only, but this weekend we're
extending an invitation for you to tour the gardens at our home
and shop the full selection of Perennials, Trees & Shrubs we grow!

Directions: 81 South to Route 60 WEST (Exit 188B). Proceed 5.1 miles. Turn Right on Mt. Vista Drive. Proceed 0.8 miles to end of the road.
Entrance is straight ahead!
Please email us if you have any questions:
info@rickscustomnursery.com

JennaStone
Washington, VA
(Zone 7a)

May 30, 2006
6:09 PM

Post #2331992

Oh My I can feel my husband's wallet groaning from here. Ooooh I think I need a moment to myself. Hey I'm up for a road trip. Anyone want to make it a group trip?
rcn48
Lexington, VA
(Zone 6a)

May 31, 2006
8:33 AM

Post #2334496

LOL :))) We have been soooo busy, I haven't even had a chance to check in lately! This heat is killing me but we're busy trying to get our gardens ready for the Open House. Unfortunately with our hectic schedule this spring we're way behind with weeding and I didn't get alot of the plants in the ground that are needing a home :( But there still should be plenty for everyone to check out if they make the trip. Looks like the weather is going to be very pleasant this weekend and we have plenty of places where people can just relax in the gardens and take a breather. Hope that some of you DGers can make it and looking forward to meeting anyone who can!
Debbie
hart
Shenandoah Valley, VA

June 3, 2006
5:11 PM

Post #2347949

Debbie, how did your open house go? Hopefully you're not so swamped now and are taking a breather.

Jenna, were you able to go?
rcn48
Lexington, VA
(Zone 6a)

June 5, 2006
9:51 AM

Post #2353771

hart, Whew, it's over!!! Unfortunately didn't see anyone from DG here - but there's always next year! Since it was the first time we've done this, we'll make a few changes for next year, like giving a tour of the gardens so we can identify some of the plants, trees and shrubs for people - they had so many questions! Some of the local master gardeners asked us if we would consider being on the local garden tour, but for now the Open House is about all we can handle and they'll just have to plan to tour the gardens then :) The weather was absolutely gorgeous, a nice change from the heat of last week. We had a nice gentleman from Greensboro that drove up on Saturday with his mother. He's a real Hosta lover and it was a treat to be able to spend some time with him! A few of our customers from Richmond and Alexandria area where we exhibit at garden fairs in the spring and fall made the trip and it was alot of fun being able to finally show them our gardens. Everything considered, I'd say it was a success even though it was alot of work!

Everyone was understanding about the mulch piles and weeds in the garden, said it made us more "human" :) Of course, if I wasn't so obsessive, I could hire someone to do the job for me, but then I could lose some of the 'volunteers' that might have found themselves a new home in the gardens, and I can't stand to miss out on that! Hopefully this week I'll be able to get into the gardens and explore on my own while weeding to check for new little babies that need to be moved to a new home in the garden. I haven't even been able to take any pictures yet this spring and I've already missed so much that has bloomed, but hopefully I'll be able to catch up and start posting on DG.
Debbie
hart
Shenandoah Valley, VA

June 5, 2006
4:45 PM

Post #2354778

Glad it went so well for you, Debbie. Maybe you can post some pictures later if you have some.

Maybe next year some of us can make the trek to Lexington.
rcn48
Lexington, VA
(Zone 6a)

June 6, 2006
9:53 AM

Post #2357449

hart, I just got the pictures that a friend of ours took yesterday and as soon as I get some together, I'll be sure to post them.

hart
Shenandoah Valley, VA

June 6, 2006
6:44 PM

Post #2358892

Oh, goody. I love pictures! That will be a real treat, Debbie.
rcn48
Lexington, VA
(Zone 6a)

June 8, 2006
9:46 AM

Post #2365515

Here's a few pictures as promised - the first a customer from Greensboro, NC who I believe found out about the Open House from DG!

Thumbnail by rcn48
Click the image for an enlarged view.

rcn48
Lexington, VA
(Zone 6a)

June 8, 2006
9:50 AM

Post #2365517

Plants all ready for loading!

Thumbnail by rcn48

rcn48
Lexington, VA
(Zone 6a)

June 8, 2006
9:52 AM

Post #2365520

Customers checking out the Trees and Shrubs and Daylilies we had to set up outside because we ran out of room in the hoop house!

Thumbnail by rcn48

rcn48
Lexington, VA
(Zone 6a)

June 8, 2006
9:56 AM

Post #2365522

Touring the gardens

Thumbnail by rcn48

rcn48
Lexington, VA
(Zone 6a)

June 8, 2006
9:58 AM

Post #2365524

Helping one of our last visitors with planting suggestions

Thumbnail by rcn48

rcn48
Lexington, VA
(Zone 6a)

June 8, 2006
10:03 AM

Post #2365529

One of our visitors from Harrisonburg

Thumbnail by rcn48

rcn48
Lexington, VA
(Zone 6a)

June 8, 2006
10:07 AM

Post #2365533

And one last one of the hoop house with plants.

Thumbnail by rcn48

hart
Shenandoah Valley, VA

June 8, 2006
4:17 PM

Post #2366551

Those are great looking plants, Debbie! Thanks so much for posting the pictures.

Is that you in the hat?
rcn48
Lexington, VA
(Zone 6a)

June 9, 2006
8:10 AM

Post #2369597

hart, that would be me :)
hart
Shenandoah Valley, VA

June 9, 2006
3:54 PM

Post #2370643

Well, I can't see your face very well but that's a darned fine hat. :>)
rcn48
Lexington, VA
(Zone 6a)

June 10, 2006
9:00 AM

Post #2373564

Yeah that hat's great! Never worn hats before because they're either too tight, too big, or keep falling off my head when I'm bending over in the garden. Bought this one last year from a vendor at Blandy and haven't taken it off since! It has a elasticized sweatband inside the brim and I even wore it on the boat last summer flying across the lake and it never flew off!
hart
Shenandoah Valley, VA

June 10, 2006
3:01 PM

Post #2374322

Pretty and practical! LOL
Brent_In_NoVa
Sterling, VA
(Zone 6b)

June 21, 2006
9:22 PM

Post #2417394

Have you been holding out on us again? ;-) The last time I drilled through to your Watchdog page I am pretty sure that it did not list a website. Now I see this one listed: http://www.rickscustomnursery.com/

- Brent
rcn48
Lexington, VA
(Zone 6a)

June 21, 2006
10:06 PM

Post #2417568

Brent, sorry it's been such a hectic spring for us and I haven't been able to spend much time at DG :( The website has been launched, however because we've been so busy we haven't even had the time to tackle the problems we've had with the website guy since April! It's been 'frustrating', to put it mildly. We've basically put it on hold for right now since we're trying to get everything in order at the nursery so we can take a long awaited vacation. We haven't even had time to weed our gardens this spring nor plant all the annuals we bought around Mother's Day. But they will have to wait, we're heading to Michigan this weekend and nothing's going to stop us from taking a "leave of absence" for a few weeks!

Debbie

Tammy

Tammy
Barto, PA
(Zone 6b)

June 25, 2006
4:00 PM

Post #2431493

The website is very pretty! Enjoy your vacation
Tam

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Mid-Atlantic Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Mid-Atlantic Gardening forum Terry 51 Jan 6, 2009 12:54 AM
Happy Hollow trip in MD who's in??? magoobu 48 Apr 26, 2007 12:41 PM
rocks??? nikki_conway 68 Jan 18, 2011 6:26 PM
Liriope - evergreen here? pennefeather 18 Aug 2, 2010 6:18 AM
Pineapple sage recipe to share. ladygardener1 18 Nov 5, 2010 4:03 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America