Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Perennials: Purple Coneflower (echinacea) wilting in sun

Communities > Forums > Perennials
bookmark
Forum: PerennialsReplies: 7, Views: 16
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
landerq
Alexandria, VA

May 30, 2006
5:03 PM

Post #2331729

Hi. I'm new to this wonderful site and am very excited to receive all this priceless info. I searched and did not find this answered.

I have clay soil but with good garden soil added to my purple coneflowers which were planted as 1 1/2 ft. plants last year while in flower in early July. I dug a rather big hole and added the garden soil and fertilizer to my two plants. They've come up beautifully this year and are now 2 feet tall and bushy and have big buds, but whenever the midday sun hits they wilt like crazy. They get full sun from 11:00am to 6pm. It is very hot and humid here in Virginia, US. As soon as the sun is off of them, they perk right up.

I figured they needed more water, so I've watered quite a bit. After looking through this site yesterday, I think that I should let them dry up a bit. No black spots on the leaves or signs of rot. Any ideas as to why they wilt the way they do? Anything I can do to make them "act right?" Thanks very much.
dmj1218
west Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

May 30, 2006
6:08 PM

Post #2331987

They often wilt over for me in late, hot afternoons. Don't they perk up when it gets cooler in late afternoon near sunset?
Debbie
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

May 30, 2006
8:05 PM

Post #2332351

If they're perking up again when it cools off in the evening, they probably don't need more water. The wilting is a natural thing that some plants do when they are stressed by exposure to lots of heat and sun, so I don't think there's really much you can do about it besides put them somewhere cooler/shadier, and then they might not bloom as well.
bigcityal
Menasha, WI
(Zone 5a)

May 30, 2006
9:26 PM

Post #2332713

I have seen this in the past on supposed drought tolerant plants. My heliopsis does this early in the summer too, then is fine the rest of the year for some reason.
I would agree that as long as the plant rebounds at night and is plenty wet - just let it recover on it's own.
missgarney
Cullowhee, NC
(Zone 6b)

May 30, 2006
10:25 PM

Post #2332937

I second that advice. Purple coneflowers are prairie plants, so they like it on the dry side. They do get limp at times. If you water them too much, they'll look even worse.
sbragonier
Hope Valley, RI
(Zone 6b)

May 31, 2006
6:04 AM

Post #2334439

They go limp-wilt to present less surface are to the sun and to conserve moisture. This is thier defense.
rsquared
Finger Lakes, NY
(Zone 6a)

May 31, 2006
6:15 PM

Post #2335952

I have over a dozen varieties of echinacea or coneflowers. It got hot in Upstate NY quickly this week and most of my coneflowers are wilting in the direct afternoon sun too. They do perk back up in the evening when it cools down and they look great in the morning. I make sure they get water once a week and they are just fine. I love them because they are so hardy and tough, even in clay soil. Once established I never "baby" them.
landerq
Alexandria, VA

May 31, 2006
6:45 PM

Post #2336052

Thank you so much for your responses. I feel much better now. I thought I was doing something wrong. I'm pretty new at this and am grateful for all the help I can get.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Perennials Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Campanula Wonder Bells Blue Gloriaglolms 37 Apr 11, 2009 4:28 PM
Oriental Poppy Pops! Weezingreens 34 Jun 27, 2010 6:36 AM
BLUE FLOWERS Lori_Illinois 62 May 4, 2010 4:09 PM
Triple Roadside/Ditch lily OhioBreezy 21 Jul 9, 2011 6:56 PM
what are you sorry you planted.. thehumblebumble 279 Aug 12, 2012 4:28 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America