Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Insect and Spider Identification: SOLVED: Last One for Now - Bug

Communities > Forums > Insect and Spider Identification
bookmark
Forum: Insect and Spider IdentificationReplies: 4, Views: 6
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
barksy
Brisbane
Australia
(Zone 10a)

May 31, 2006
2:37 AM

Post #2333902

These guys were all over my garden this winter in large numbers. A few are still around. I would estimate 5 mm long with about a 6 mm wing span. They aggregated on plants and the white siding. Notice the mottled appearance of the wings. At first, I thought that the wings had a really odd shape but, they actually have clear areas of wing and black areas of wing creating this pattern. I didnt notice them doing anything really bad to any plants.

Thumbnail by barksy
Click the image for an enlarged view.

paalexan
Las Cruces, NM

May 31, 2006
4:51 AM

Post #2334340

Picture-winged fly, probably in the genus Delphinia.

Patrick Alexander
barksy
Brisbane
Australia
(Zone 10a)

June 1, 2006
1:58 AM

Post #2337654

Thanks Patrick! Very similar one called Delphinia picta on Google. Nobody reports them misbehaving much so I guess the garden is safe.
Badseed
Hillsboro, OH
(Zone 6a)

June 1, 2006
2:23 AM

Post #2337753

That sure looks like what I have been griping about all day! Does it have a striped body? I've been outside working all day and they are as pesty as flies! They seem to want to land on you and ride around! Even worse, a couple of them poked me or bit me. They were on us in the pool and also just while working in the yard. They may not be dangerous but they sure are a pain. LOL
barksy
Brisbane
Australia
(Zone 10a)

June 1, 2006
2:58 PM

Post #2339577

Well Badseed, I think you may have something else. Mine did not striped body and fortunately, they did not poke or bite. They dont bump into us like love bugs either. They just hang around on plants and on the siding. They have a prominent nose. If you google Delphinia picta images, you can tell for sure if you have the same things because there are some beautiful close ups that have been posted.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Insect and Spider Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Tiny Red Critters Angel 26 Apr 26, 2014 7:18 AM
SOLVED: Do you know what kind of Spider this is? dignbloom 55 Aug 18, 2012 4:36 PM
SOLVED: green caterpillar xox_kitkat_xox 4 Jan 24, 2010 9:05 PM
SOLVED: Name this insect? Dinu 16 Oct 19, 2008 2:54 PM
SOLVED: Red Spider about the diameter of a penny gardenwife 24 Oct 10, 2009 10:41 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America