CLOSED: Any newbies wanna start a round robin?

Cincinnati, OH

RR closed~~~~~Box is making its rounds now

I am a bit jealous about all these going around and I can not seem to get in on it. I would like to start a round robin for newbies. I think we can work out a RR with quick growing seeds, or unique seeds. I would like to know what everyone thinks. I think we could start with 5 seeds packets? It is not going to be as organized as some of these, but hey, were newbies. What do we know? Who's interested?

Kelly

This message was edited Aug 17, 2006 7:21 PM

China Spring, TX(Zone 8a)

Kelly, I'd be interested. I'd love to get a RR of colorful foliage seeds, aka coleus,etc. I'm always wanting pretty foliage as the flowers get raggy fast in our heat. Let me know if any interest shows up.
hilary

Cincinnati, OH

Sure thing.

Cincinnati, OH

Wow No interest huh? I have aabout 40 packs of seeds to work with, and some cute small pots among other things. I had hoped for some response. If no one else signs up by Monday, I will send it to whoever responds and we can do a small RR. (even if it is only 2 people.)

Kelly

Fort Myers, FL(Zone 10a)

I'm a newbee and I'll try any seeds!

I love to try and grow new things and share seeds!

Cincinnati, OH

Cool, love to have you!!

Fort Myers, FL(Zone 10a)

lol Thaks!

hehe.. What do I do? *grin*

Cincinnati, OH

Nothing, I will gather everything up, send it to Hilary, she will take some, replace with some, send to you, you will do the same and send back to me. I only ask for all (2) of you to take/replace at least 5 seed packets. That way we all can get a chance at something new. Feel free to take more, that is just the minimum. I will let you know when the box goes out. Hopefully, by Wed.

Kelly

PS Make sure your name is on the address exchange so we know where to send it, or send me a Dmail with your address.

Sugar Land, TX(Zone 9a)

I've never participated. Can I play too? I've got some seeds to share!
Kristi

Cincinnati, OH

Sure thing. I will add you to the list. Noell will send to you and you will send back to me!!

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

hi...i would love to do this as well....i dont have alot of seeds but i have collected some over the past year from the yard....im a bit of a bulb person and am trying to learn to grow lilies from seed...i cant even grow a zinia from seed in the ground...only have luck in pots...learning...I have some four oclocks...some heirloom tomoato...some african iris...alot of marigolds( like asking if you need any more squash in the summer). Not sure what the address exchange is but i will be glad to send it somehow.

Cincinnati, OH

Awesome! You have to be a subscriber to put your address in the exchange, If you would Dmail me with the address, i will put you on. The box is almost ready, and will go out either later today or early tomorrow, priority mail.

kelly

Cincinnati, OH

Just a note, I did not get this out when I said, watching the neice and nephew and WOW, did I forget how much work a 1 and 2 year old were......I will put this in Monday's mail.

Kelly

Cincinnati, OH

Sorry, I swear, life just isn't kind sometimes. I do not have the box out. It is going out on Monday, come he** or high water. My son is autistic, and although high functioning, life with any changes is horrible. How about taking him from a structured setting like school and give him free reign to do "as he wishes" for 3 months. We have a new schedule in place, but he is not taking too well to it. Sorry for any inconvenience to anyone. Hopefully, you will not be too upset with me?

Kelly

Fort Myers, FL(Zone 10a)

No worries. I have a friend and both her twins are also autistic. I know life can become very hard when things change to fast..

Cincinnati, OH

Thanks, only those with experience can truly "get" it I appreciate your patience.

Kelly

Lawrenceville, GA(Zone 7b)

I've been at DG for about a month. Am I still a newbie? Can I play? Please...huh...please...?

(Zone 7a)

me too? I understand about life changing the best laid plans more than I can say here. After following this forum for a few months, how people manage the bumpy roads some of these round robins take is becoming kind of a therapy for me - helps to know you're not the only one with unusual circumstances. Most RRs seem to "get there when they get there" - fine with me.

I have some interesting seeds burning holes in their box - would be a shame for them not to find a home.

I'll jump on the bandwagon! Will I fit in the RR somewhere? I have collected some sorta interesting seeds over the last year and I'd be happy to share!

(Zone 7a)

Kelly, I have a lot more seed than you do looking for homes. What do you think about my sending out my seed first, and then you would be the last recipient of this robin?

Let me see if I can drum up some more participants - now is an excellent time for zone 5 and up to start biennial or perennial seed for next year (winter sowing is best - maybe divide your seed into one group to sow now and another to wintersow later). Also, there are some annuals I understand that can still be started for this year at this time here (for example: rose moss, cosmos, probably others. And then there's calendula which I have seen blooming here even after the first autumn frost).

Some RR participants just take some seeds out of a packet and send the packet along for others to share.

A great garden website that includes excellent germination information is: http://tomclothier.hort.net/index.html

northeast, IL(Zone 5a)

Kelly, I'm not a newbie, but would love to join in, too, if it's not too late. I understand your issues with routine changes, my nephew is autistic, and functions fairly well, as long as nothing upsets his routine. This summer will be challenging for my brother (who is the custodial parent). I have alot of seeds that never got planted, because of my mothers health issues I just never found the time!
I'm in the exchange. Please let me know,
Deb

Hanson, KY(Zone 6a)

Hi,
If it's not too late, I would love to get in. I love surprises in the mail!

Cincinnati, OH

Sorry everyone,

Seriously, I did not fall off the face of the earth. My husband has been in and out of the hospital and we do not know what is going on. We are a young couple (30's) and are absolutely clueless. We have an autistic child and between the two, it has been all I can do to breathe, let alone go online or to the PO. I am terribly sorry. I am ready to send the box. Here is what we will do. I will send it to bluespiral (Karen) and then you can send it to the next one on the list, and so on. When it gets back to me, I will be very excited. I love to get surprises in the mail, and I can really use some NICE surprises right now. If you are praying types, please pray for my husband's health, and also for my patience and sanity!! LOL

Here is the way I have the list:
Bluespiral AKA Karen
hag49 AKA Hilary
Noell_swfl AKA Noell
knolan AKA Kristi
gardenglory AKA Pam
windbalm AKA (sent Dmail on the 10th, waiting for address and name)
Outraejss AKA Jessica
RainGazer AKA (Need name and address)
momcat AKA Deb
rainy_jane AKA Jane
kaykay1010 AKA (Me!) Kelly

Last chance to correct me!

Thanks again, and again, and again.

Kelly

(Zone 7a)

Kelly, am certainly including you and all your family in my prayers and hoping for a positive outcome. I am so looking forward to a less messy desk once those seed packets start looking for good homes - not to mention bags in the kitchen from 2005 and 2006 harvests. Our house is about 540 sq ft, and humans take second place around here - LOL.

Karen

Cincinnati, OH

Guess What? The box is ready. It goes out tomorrow. I will enclose a list of who it goes to. I am also putting in a list of interesting information about some of the items. If you get the box and there are caladium bulbs, or the voodoo lily bulb, be forewarned, It may not bloom. It has been poorly taken care.......by whom, I wonder. Sorry. Hope everyone enjoys this RR. Let me know when You receive the box and when you send it.!!

Thanks for your patience.

kelly

Fort Myers, FL(Zone 10a)

Cool!!!! This will be fun! I can't wait! yay!!

Yeehaw... I just checked back on this and find it's a go after all. I'm ready. I have already started harvesting seeds for 2006. I've gathered quite a few so I'll have fresh seed to add to the box. I'm sure I'll have a bunch of new items to add to the mix so it will be an interesting selection.
hilary hag49

So what's the progress on the box? I'm second in line and I need to know when to expect it. do tell, please..
hilary

Cincinnati, OH

Hi Hilary,

I sent the box last week. I will check with Karen to make sure she got it.

Kelly

(Zone 7a)

Hello Hillary, Kelly and All,

'Pooter crashed and car is in shop waiting for parts for a while. This is the first time I've been online in a while. The seeds arrived last Saturday and DH got the box to the post office with oodles more seed packets on Tuesday, July 11 just before sending car to a wee oblivion in the "repair" shop. I hope y'all will forgive me for the hiatus and lack of confirmation #. It looks like the box is off to a great start with seeds.

karen

Karen, just rec'd your box today. 1 of the colored candle holders (pink) was shattered. The others are ok. I just scanned it, not really looking in debth. I know I won't get it to the PO tomorrow, as I have to go to work early, but I'll get it back out first thing Monday. I'm mailing to Noell.
I'll check back later.
hilary

(Zone 7a)

Hilary, so glad our computer and car snafus didn't hold up the robin. I hope you took some of those coleus seeds that Kelly put in. Kelly included a lot of whimsical, pretty, garden non-seed stuff - very generous and hard to find room to add my seed packets.

Is 8 days for a flat-rate, priority-mail box to get from Kelly to me normal?

Kelly, thank you so much for doing this - the contents of that box looked like a labor of love.

Karen

Cincinnati, OH

No, Wow, that really took a long time. I am quite surprised at that, usually it only take s a few days, four max.

Sorry about losing a candleholder......I use them for my little plants too. They are great for baby plants.

I really enjoyed putting this together. I had a lot of stuff that I got at a great rate and some was just here. I hope all are having fun. If you could, please post when you get the box and when you send it.

Thanks to all!!

Kelly

Kelly, I'll be mailing the box out on Monday from Texas on its way to sunny Florida....... hilary
BTW, one of the clay water holders was broken, too. I thought the package of goodies was terrific.

I mailed on monday and sent priority w/delivery confirmation. The #33907. You can check the progress at www.usps.com
have fun w/the box. It's quite fun opening a box of treasure. I loved it.
hilary

Fort Myers, FL(Zone 10a)

OMG! I got it today... My mail man and the lady next door were there with me! They were like kids at a candy store! They got a giggle when I told them it was from someone I didn't even know!

This is really fun!!

Cincinnati, OH

Glad you are enjoying it. I am so happy to make people happy. I think this is a great way to meet new people, too. How often can I say I have a new friend in Florida?

Kelly

Fort Myers, FL(Zone 10a)

lol... hot sticky hurricane alley Florida!

It is fun!

Cincinnati, OH

speaking of hurricanes, my family (from Ohio, mind you) survived Hurricane Charley. We were there doing Disney and we went through it. We dealt with the lack of gasoline and torn up buildings and all. I feel you. That was a minor one. i will be thinking of you all season.

Kelly

Fort Myers, FL(Zone 10a)

Oh yes... I live right near where it made land fall. My best firend was in the eye walls... My home was hit hard..

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.