Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Plant Identification: SOLVED: rudbeckia?

Communities > Forums > Plant Identification
bookmark
Forum: Plant IdentificationReplies: 6, Views: 145
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
kat7
Bloomingdale, NJ
(Zone 6a)

July 18, 2001
5:50 PM

Post #8724

Ok,I had thought this was blanketflower (gaillardia), but my sister was out visiting and said it couldn't be since it has daisylike seeds rather than the pom pom like seed heads of gaillardia. I have several plants and they range in color from plain yellow flowers, to yellow and maroon flowers, to all maroon flowers.All have a dark center. The flowers are all large (about 5 inches across) and are very pretty. My best guess is some kind of black eyed susan or rudbeckia but I haven't been able to see any picture id's in anything but plain yellow. I also have another similar flower that I will post next that looks like a black eyed susan with double flowers.

Thumbnail by kat7
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Tim
Palmyra, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 18, 2001
5:55 PM

Post #96101

'gloriosa daisy'?
MsBatt
Florence, AL
(Zone 7a)

July 18, 2001
10:16 PM

Post #96245

I believe this is the rudbeckia called "Indian Summer". Save the seeds, whatever it's called, and I'll trade you something for them!
poppysue
Westbrook, ME
(Zone 5a)

July 19, 2001
3:51 AM

Post #96446

I think these and the double flowers are all forms of rudbeckia hirta ... just different cultivars. I think they cross pollinate and will come back with even different color combos. Burpee has a double called 'Goldilocks' or something like that. I've collected seeds from doubles but about only about a third of the seedlings will have double flowers.
kat7
Bloomingdale, NJ
(Zone 6a)

July 20, 2001
12:10 AM

Post #96852

Thanks-they both must be forms of rudbeckia!
karen7
Florence, KY
(Zone 6a)

July 20, 2001
2:14 AM

Post #96900

I grew the rudbeckia Indian Summer Daisy last year from seed. Thought they were suppose to be solid yellow (you probably got either the seeds or plants from me) and I figured that was what the solid yellow ones I've got were. Just didn't realize they would cross polinate into such beautiful and vivid color combinations. I've got some of the yellow and gold ones but not the really dark maroonish ones like you have so I guess ours have just cross polinated differently but all must be cultivars from the original planting. PS - thought I had already identified your gloriosa daisy for you last week. I think you got those from me as well.
MsBatt
Florence, AL
(Zone 7a)

July 22, 2001
1:26 AM

Post #98037

Kat7, I got your message and tried to e-mail you back with the rply button, but I keep getting your mail returned to me. E-mail me direct at missvonbatt@juno.com with you address and I'll send you a SASE for the seeds.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Plant Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Help with identification of this shrub dave 86 Nov 11, 2013 6:20 PM
SOLVED: Can Anyone Help Gayl 9 Jun 23, 2014 4:57 AM
SOLVED: help identify herb seeds????? dignbloom 6 Nov 4, 2010 8:08 PM
SOLVED: Mystery perennial dave 21 Oct 14, 2014 11:43 AM
SOLVED: Name my aloe??? tom1953 21 Jul 15, 2012 1:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America