Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Ferns, Fungi and Mosses: New to Ferns

Communities > Forums > Ferns, Fungi and Mosses
bookmark
Forum: Ferns, Fungi and MossesReplies: 2, Views: 24
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
donn
Great South Bay, Lon, NY
(Zone 7a)

June 3, 2006
3:17 PM

Post #2347565

I just ordered 20 Ferns, in 3" pots, from Park's Wholesale's clearance sale. Five each of the following:

Brilliance Autumn Fern (49587) ( Dryopteris erythrosora 'Brilliance' )

Ostrich Fern (43203) (Matteuccia struthiopteris )

Hardy Fern Ghost (40335) ( Athyrium nipponicum 'Ghost' )

Japanese Silver-Painted Fern (44460) (Athyrium goeringianum 'Pictum' )

I've never grown Ferns on purpose before, but I have a lot of shade.

Anything I need to know about how to deal with these guys when they get here? Do I pot them up and baby them for the summer, and then plant them out in the fall? Or just stick them in the ground when they get here, and let them fend for themselves. I have wet shade and dry shade, rich or lean soil, a saltwater coastal climate in zone 7. Soil is generally somewhat acid, but I'm good at making custom soil. Do any of them have issues with wind or salt fog?

Thanks in advance for any tips you may have for me.
marie_
West Central, WI
(Zone 4a)

June 4, 2006
10:43 PM

Post #2351998

You've ordered some great ferns there. Well done! I would plant them in the ground when you get them. Adding plenty of compost to the soil would be great. Most ferns prefer plenty of moisture, so especially the first year, don't let them dry out and be sure to mulch them well. My soil is acid and my ferns are doing just fine.

I have no experience with a salt water coastal climate, so hopefully someone else will jump in here with advice.
donn
Great South Bay, Lon, NY
(Zone 7a)

June 5, 2006
11:14 AM

Post #2353839

Thanks for the reply, Marie. I have spots ready for them, with good woodland soil and plenty of moisture. From my reading, they seem to be pretty carefree.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Ferns, Fungi and Mosses Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Let's Talk Fungi and Such Weezingreens 203 Jun 12, 2007 7:52 PM
Welcome to Ferns! Terry 47 Jul 13, 2011 10:40 AM
My favorite Fern rcn48 33 Aug 19, 2008 11:56 PM
Osmunda cinnamomea Brent_In_NoVa 11 Mar 28, 2007 7:41 PM
growing from spores hostajim1 47 Nov 19, 2011 5:23 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America