Critter Photography

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

I must say that I have seen some stunning photography on this site. I really enjoy looking at all the pictures. I would love to see your best critter pictures.

My best are of some stink bugs I found one night on my sunflower and an anole nestled on the ginger plant.

Xeramtheum

Thumbnail by Xeramtheum
Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

Well, I snapped this Spider a week ago, on a patio chair.
It's my best spider pic, so far.
Andy P

Thumbnail by Sarahskeeper
Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

I love that! .. the detail is incredible .. how did you get her to sit still long enough? A buggy friend of mine taught me a neat trick for photographing insects .. Just pop em in the freezer for about 30 seconds .. doesn't harm them .. just slows them down!

X

Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

X, this guy was totally still. I wanted to sit in the chair, almost did until I saw it. LOL
After I took a couple shots I tried to gently move it, no luck. I tipped the chair and tapped the arm, no luck. So I flicked it off. I saw it again the next day, in the watering can.
Persistent little devil.
Andy P

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

You want bugs - check out Rich Swanner's many offerings. He can host his own forum on shutterBUGS. His shots are amazing.

Victor

Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

I like this snake shot from April.
Andy P

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

nice shots there from X and Andy!

Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

Hi Track, long time no see....
Andy P

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

rescued a dumped puppy and gardening, my whole boring life in a nutshell! keeps me busy though. give sarah my best.

Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

I got her some Valium today. She nearly shakes apart in thunder storms, fireworks too.
See ya.
Andy P

While I'm here, how about a Praying Mantis

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Those are really terrific andy! .. i hope you were using a zoom when you caught that snake. I don't really mind snakes .. but I don't think I'd like to be THAT close!

X

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

oh wow, talk about up close and personal. that is an amazing shot.

X, i love your shot of the squash bugs. i haven't thought of taking shots of mine, except maybe gunshots. i am squishing squashs from morning till night. the sunflower without its glorious petals makes the shot even more eerie to me. great job.

Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

Thank you both, I like shooting critters.
I think I was about 8 or 10 inches from the snake, it was a small harmless grass snake.
We have been invaded by Eastern Tent caterpillars this Spring.
Andy P

Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

And Gypsy moths.
Taken yesterday.
Andy P

Northern California, CA(Zone 9b)

LOL, that snake looks so fake. What eyes! Eastern Tent caterpillar are so pretty!

So do stink bugs stink? LOL

All great photos.

This was at the SF Conservatory of flowers. I spent an hour taking its picture. LOL

Thumbnail by Kell

I have no clue what these are but I hate them.

Thumbnail by Kell

And these are so gross. They remind me of blood filled ticks.

Thumbnail by Kell
Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

Well Tracks .. I was a bit miffed about all those bugs having affairs all over my sunflowers .. the party lasted 2 nights. I used the seeds for planting .. not eating on that one. LOL

Kell, those are really stunning! I love to do macro stuff. I finally got a new camera. My father sent me his old one a Sony that will do macro better than what I have now and has much more latitude fine adjustment. As to the bugs .. yes they do stink if you mess with them .. nasty stink.

X

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

kell, those close-ups are fantastic. i think that last shot are the nymphs of some kind of squash bug, that's what mine look like at first. there are a lot of different kinds depending on where you live. they are related to stink bugs and when you squish them, they shoot out stink at the back end just like the stink bugs. stink or squash, they are bad bugs.

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

I'm always amazed at the diversity of life in my garden. Insect eggs fascinate me. I remember coming across what looked like tiny perfect drops of shiny gold, 5 in a row, 3 rows side by side and slightly off kilter so it formed a parallelogram under one of my brug leaves awhile back. I've only seen them once and keep looking for more. It made me wonder if insects could count in some primitive way.

X

Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

Kell, good shots. The second one gives me vertigo. Imagine you were very small and fell into that quagmire.

Andy P

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

just out of pure curiosity, do you all kill the bad ones, ie grasshopper, after they've had their pictures taken, or do you let them be? lol

Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

What made you ask that, Track? Was it the one missing antenna on the Grasshopper? LOL.
I generally leave them alone, unless they are really bad, like the caterpillars.
Andy P

mid central, FL(Zone 9a)

oh yeah, you've got those nasty cats......! LOL

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

I love the way this little fella grins!
Janet

Thumbnail by UniQueTreasures
Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

The same fella decided to pose for me. Both of these photos were taken from about 15 ft. across a swimming pool.

west Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Oppossum...in the suburbs. I kept getting the feeling something was staring at me as I checked on my garlic...

Thumbnail by dmj1218
Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

Here's one of the squirrels that hangs around my back yard.

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

I just love all these pictures! Those dragonfly shots are incredible! I like the grin too!

X

Gosh I need your camera UniQueTreasures. Which kind is it? I wouldn't even be able to see your little guy from 15 ft.

Some of these are so cute I want them for pets.

Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

Excellent shots, UniQue
Andy P

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

Thanks folks. I absolutely love this camera. It's a Sony DSC-H1. It's called Super SteadyShot 5.1 Megapixels. It has a 12 X Optical Zoom on it. I love that the viewfinder is 2.5". I have another Sony DSC-W5 with a 3X Optical Zoom, that I was perfectly happy with, until I bought this one. The 12X Zoom has spoiled me terribly.

I have been using my back yard (and my sister's) to learn how to use it. I love zooming in on lizards and bugs and other critters.

Janet

edited to change top left to top right. I do believe it's coffee time when I can't tell the difference! :-)

This message was edited Jun 7, 2006 12:15 PM

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

I tried to stop the post and correct something and ended up with two of the same posts. I'm still learning my way around here.

Janet

This message was edited Jun 7, 2006 12:16 PM

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

Dragon from last Summer.

Victor

Thumbnail by victorgardener
Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

Oh Victor! He's beautiful!

I love the way his wings are colored. Great Pic!

Beaumont, TX(Zone 8b)

I rarely go out in my yard anymore without mine.

So I have a bajillion photos of my hibiscus? Who cares??? Only *I* know that they are actually different flowers on different days. I am always seeking to improve the pictures I have.

Thanks for sharing your voyerism! :-)
Janet

Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

I was in the blackberry patch and saw 2 Wasps...This one was 'resting, the other was gone.
Andy P

Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

Here it is on 'take off'.
I must remember to keep the camera with me, lol.
Andy P

Summerville, SC(Zone 8a)

I finally learned to always take my camera with me when I went outside .. got tired of trudging back into the house to get it when I found something in the greenhouse just opened up or elsewhere. Took about a month, but now it goes with me.

I love all the shades of green in this picture.

X

Thumbnail by Xeramtheum
Mableton, GA(Zone 7b)

bumble and redbud

Thumbnail by ecobioangie

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.