AuthorContent
Repeat_Bloomer
Peekskill, NY
(Zone 6b)

June 7, 2006
7:06 PM

Post #2363026

Hello all,

I'm active on the Roses forum, and somewhat active on the Woodworking forum, but haven't posted to this one before. I wanted to share a photo of the rock garden on the side of my house, which is on a steep incline. This is the perspective looking up the hill. I call it "Stonehenge" because of the big upright rocks, but there are many smaller ones, too. Do you see all the rocks on the right hand side that sort of look like a dry stream bed? Those are all the rocks I dig up whenever I plant a rose!

This message was edited Jun 7, 2006 9:10 PM

Thumbnail by Repeat_Bloomer
Click the image for an enlarged view.

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 8, 2006
12:02 AM

Post #2364014

RB, you continue to amaze me! everything you do is always so letter perfect, yet very natural, as though it had always been there. i lurk here on the alpine forum from time to time, but i don't normally post because i am way out of my league here. lol i saw your friendly face so i couldn't pass up the opportunity to see what lovelies you had that were non-rose. it's really a beautiful shot and strangely inviting despite the rocky demeanor. debi

Tammy

Tammy
Barto, PA
(Zone 6b)

June 8, 2006
12:39 AM

Post #2364131

Hey RepeatBloomer - its beautiful! And I can comiserate on the rocks. Mine don't come
out looking so smooth but if I dig a planting hole, I need amendments to fill it back up (after
removing the rocks). I've got a HUGE rock pile at the edge of my property.

I should probably lurk over in the rose forum. I've got a lot of roses and added a forum
rose garden last year. Some are doing better than others. Maybe I'll run into you over there.

Tam
Zuzu
Sebastopol, CA
(Zone 9a)

June 8, 2006
12:52 AM

Post #2364189

You get right over there, Tammy. We want to see your roses. People are showing pictures of great-looking gardens over there and yours will fit right in. We rose forum folks also love pictures with a few pets thrown in, so you really do belong there.

RB, once again I have to comment on your impeccable taste. Debi put it beautifully: How can you make rocks look so inviting?
Repeat_Bloomer
Peekskill, NY
(Zone 6b)

June 8, 2006
1:08 AM

Post #2364251

Hi Tracks and Zuzu, my friends from the Rose Forum - and it's nice to meet you, too, Tammy. I have Zuzu to thank for encouraging me to post this photo here. I have to laugh about those rocks, because one of the horticultural instructors from the NY Botanical Garden came to visit my little garden for the first time this past weekend, and couldn't believe all the rocks and debris I have to dig out of the ground just to plant a single perennial. I told him I have had so much practice pitching rocks that I can land one in that pile on the right side of the rockery from 25 feet away (though a few wild throws have placed those ceramic planters with the ornamental grasses in jeopardy once or twice - but fortunately they were all "near misses.")

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 8, 2006
1:22 AM

Post #2364302

you can practice your pitching arm and throw some down my way. they don't call me trackinsand for nothing. i can put a shovel in anywhere on this property and 2 minutes later have a huge hole dug, ready to plant, make that "amend". lol i miss rocks.
Repeat_Bloomer
Peekskill, NY
(Zone 6b)

June 8, 2006
1:28 AM

Post #2364338

Oooo, Tracks, you have no idea how long it takes me to dig a 20 x 20 inch hole for a rose. I actually built a giant sieve on wheels, with a rimmed screen bed of 2 x 5 feet, that I have to use to sieve out all the small rocks and gravel from the soil. I then have to amend the sieved soil (which is advisable anyway, of course) with peat and compost. It takes me so long just to dig a hole to plant a single perennial that some days I just dread having to dig another one. It's ridiculous how bad my rock problem is! But you know the old addage, if life gives you lemons, make lemonade? Well, I decided that if the earth was going to give me rocks, I'd make a rockery!

Tammy

Tammy
Barto, PA
(Zone 6b)

June 8, 2006
1:37 AM

Post #2364390

Oh - it took me WEEKS to put in my rose garden a year & a half ago. I have a front end loader
on my tractor. I pulled out enough rocks from each ~8' x 3' section to fill that front end load 1.5times.
It did allow me lots of space for the amendments.

I've posted a thread over in the roses forum. I need to take more pictures to add though. Its a start.
Tam
Repeat_Bloomer
Peekskill, NY
(Zone 6b)

June 8, 2006
1:39 AM

Post #2364397

And a good start it is - welcome over there!
Repeat_Bloomer
Peekskill, NY
(Zone 6b)

June 8, 2006
10:42 PM

Post #2367952

Oh, I should have mentioned that the layered bed of rocks on the right hand side is nearly 3 feet deep at it's highest point.

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

June 8, 2006
11:19 PM

Post #2368066

if you need a plant to penetrate all that rock, i will send you some nutgrass! LOL
Galanthophile
North East England
United Kingdom
(Zone 8a)

June 12, 2006
4:57 PM

Post #2381932

That looks great and very serene!
Ally_UT
Central, UT
(Zone 5b)

June 12, 2006
8:53 PM

Post #2382714

Welcome. I love the aged, architectural look of the conifers you have there.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Rock and Alpine Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
New hillside garden Tammy 88 Jul 27, 2010 6:54 AM
A arisaema sikokianum seedling Tammy 12 May 23, 2007 1:14 AM
Merry Christmas Galanthophile 40 Dec 29, 2007 6:21 PM
NARGS Seed Exchange! Tammy 67 Mar 13, 2007 7:08 AM
Hydrogen peroxide for germination taramark 6 Mar 5, 2007 10:52 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America