Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Geraniums, Pelargoniums and Erodiums: What are the most common small scenteds?

Communities > Forums > Geraniums, Pelargoniums and Erodiums
bookmark
Forum: Geraniums, Pelargoniums and ErodiumsReplies: 9, Views: 67
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
IO1
Waaaay Down South, GA

June 7, 2006
11:35 PM

Post #2363923

Can anyone tell me which are the smallest of the scented geraniums? I'm in 8B and am going to put part of mine in the ground but don't want to chance all of them out there and want some small ones in pots on the window sill. It's so difficult going through all those many lists and I'd like to know which ones others have had success with.
Thanks!
~Elaine~
Spider07
Lilburn, GA

June 7, 2006
11:58 PM

Post #2363999

Hi Elaine!

Fancy meeting you here :o)

You have to be aware that they do better in pots than in the ground. They are tender plants and need winter protection.

I haven't grown them here but Kathy Ann is the expert and she should be here any time.
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 8, 2006
2:45 AM

Post #2364792

LOL, I am no expert, I learn daily like the rest of us LOL. Elaine are you wanting to know which are small leaved geraniums or small plants as a whole ? cause I have some small leaved geraniums that are huge LOL and the small geraniums are usually the young ones. So I guess you need to clarify which so we might be able to help you more.

Very tiny leaved geraniums

lemon crispum
crispum prince rupert
variegated prince rupert/french lace
filbert seems to be tiny and compact
the strawberry one I just got seems to be small leaved and compact.

my variegated golden angel is compact but is a angel geranium not a scented leaved.

I'd have to go to the greenhouse I guess to see for sure.

IO1
Waaaay Down South, GA

June 8, 2006
4:11 AM

Post #2365198

Kathy
when I was reading I thought it mentioned that some were suitable for small pots for window sills? This led me to think there were some that were much smaller? I was getting so confused, though and decided to ask those who have actually grown them. :)

~Elaine~
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 8, 2006
11:54 AM

Post #2365668

I know they have some mini geraniums out there, don't think any of them are scented, all my scented ones have to be transplanted sooner or later into bigger pots they start off in small pots.

I'll com back later, got to run

gardenmart

gardenmart
Saugus, MA
(Zone 6b)

July 14, 2006
10:14 PM

Post #2506438

Hi,! I had a very small one a couple of years ago that I got at Homey D's of all places. It was a tiny, coconut scented, vining type mini. the coconut scent was strong and true. A lot of scented geraniums don't smell as advertised, at least to me, but this did. Unfortunately, I lost it when I went on vacation and couldn't supervise the watering. My neighbor tried to get everything but missed a few. They haven't had a selection of scented G's ever since at my Homey d's. I miss this one.
Martha
Allison_FL
Dunedin, FL
(Zone 10b)

July 22, 2006
2:25 AM

Post #2533221

Kathy - Ann do you have any pictures of the small ones !
kathy_ann
Judsonia, AR
(Zone 7b)

July 22, 2006
8:41 PM

Post #2535301

Thinking that I don't have any, my scenteds aren't doing so hot this year, with all the hot weather, i've lost several of them, and more are ont he way to death unfortunately
IO1
Waaaay Down South, GA

July 23, 2006
3:34 AM

Post #2536605

The heat is really doing a number on mine also. Haven't lost any yet, but some are sure looking sad. :-(

gardenmart

gardenmart
Saugus, MA
(Zone 6b)

August 2, 2006
1:07 PM

Post #2578119

I'm back! We're having a heat wave here in MA today so I am going out in a bit to water everything down. I will take some pictures of my minis and scenteds, all of which are in pots. I don't have a single geranium in the ground this year.
Martha

This message was edited Aug 2, 2006 9:10 AM

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Geraniums, Pelargoniums and Erodiums Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Never grew these before.. Brugie 21 May 3, 2007 2:20 PM
Visions Light Pink echoes 5 May 4, 2009 8:38 PM
Overwintering - dumb question, I know AlohaHoya 28 Mar 19, 2007 4:00 PM
Hardy Geranium resource links, info, and pics? tabasco 46 Jul 26, 2007 7:26 PM
Plain ole standard geranium....how cold can i let them get?? sticks_n_stones 12 Mar 30, 2007 2:12 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America