Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Insect and Spider Identification: SOLVED: Which moth?

Communities > Forums > Insect and Spider Identification
bookmark
Forum: Insect and Spider IdentificationReplies: 4, Views: 118
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
louisa
Troy, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 19, 2001
2:20 AM

Post #8767

I take it this is a moth - isn't it lovely!

Thumbnail by louisa
Click the image for an enlarged view.

poppysue
Westbrook, ME
(Zone 5a)

July 19, 2001
3:42 AM

Post #96439

How big is it? I think it's a Lo moth. My book says it's wingspan is 2 3/4 inches. Also says the caterpillar's spines cause a painful stinging. They spin a thin flimsy coocoon among debris on the ground. Very pretty for a moth.
louisa
Troy, VA
(Zone 7a)

July 19, 2001
3:50 AM

Post #96445

You are clever Poppysue!! The wingspan is as you say. About the sting! In my 'other' garden I was cutting back hydrangeas and something stung me - almost like a wasp sting - I blistered a bit but the pain went on for what seemed like an eternity. So you think this is the culprit?
poppysue
Westbrook, ME
(Zone 5a)

July 19, 2001
3:54 AM

Post #96448

Could be. It says they eat alot of different foliage but they especially like wild cherry.
Calalily
Deep South Coastal, TX
(Zone 10a)

July 19, 2001
3:30 PM

Post #96623

Louisa
The Io moth caterpillar is very spiney and sting feels like a wasp. The caterpillar is big though, and you would have seen it. There is something called a "saddleback" caterpillar (we call them "pack saddles") that feels like a burn, like a cigarette ash fell on you. The burning lasts for hours and makes blisters. These make an ugly brown moth. They like to hide in foliage, especially corn and grasses.They are very good at camaflouge, and are green, flat and slug like, with a brown patch on their backs. I used to hate to gather corn when I was little, I always got stung.
Cala

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Insect and Spider Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Tiny Red Critters Angel 26 Apr 26, 2014 7:18 AM
SOLVED: Do you know what kind of Spider this is? dignbloom 55 Aug 18, 2012 4:36 PM
SOLVED: green caterpillar xox_kitkat_xox 4 Jan 24, 2010 9:05 PM
SOLVED: Name this insect? Dinu 16 Oct 19, 2008 2:54 PM
SOLVED: Red Spider about the diameter of a penny gardenwife 24 Oct 10, 2009 10:41 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America