Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Geraniums, Pelargoniums and Erodiums: Love the Hardys

Communities > Forums > Geraniums, Pelargoniums and Erodiums
bookmark
Forum: Geraniums, Pelargoniums and ErodiumsReplies: 35, Views: 81
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

bootandall

bootandall
Blenheim
New Zealand

June 10, 2006
8:39 PM

Post #2375285

this is one of the seedlings that flowered last summer for me

Thumbnail by bootandall
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Spider07
Lilburn, GA

June 10, 2006
8:44 PM

Post #2375302

It is gorgeous Boot!

bootandall

bootandall
Blenheim
New Zealand

June 11, 2006
5:11 AM

Post #2376838

Thanks Spider, this is the Parent

Thumbnail by bootandall

pegzhere
Bettendorf, IA

June 11, 2006
1:02 PM

Post #2377244

Beautiful! I am just starting my garden but plan to have lots of room for these. Are they hard to grow? Any tips?
dbibb
Inverness, MS
(Zone 8a)

June 11, 2006
1:12 PM

Post #2377275

I know...I'm not the be photographer. I hope to learn more about using this camera.

But, here is one of mine.

Dee

Thumbnail by dbibb

kooger

kooger
Oostburg, WI
(Zone 5b)

June 12, 2006
4:31 AM

Post #2380444

Boots - I have to take a couple of pics and post them soon. #115 and #125 are fantastic! They are both in full bloom and stand up to our wind! 'Johnson Blue' may get a new home - I'm tired of that floppy thing that looks awful after the first windy day!

bootandall

bootandall
Blenheim
New Zealand

June 12, 2006
7:06 AM

Post #2380655

pegzhere I do not think some are hard to grow, they can self sow a lot, so it does not take long to have heaps.
Growing from seed. Barely cover,and I have had the lot rot off, because of over watering.

another seedling from the above plant

Dee lovely colour, lets see more.

kooger
Love to see what you got from 115 125. most have too stand the wind here.

Thumbnail by bootandall

Plantcrazii
Dallas, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 12, 2006
3:01 PM

Post #2381500

Are these geraniums? I had no idea they looked like this. They sure are beautiful. What are these called and where do I get them?

Jesse
Spider07
Lilburn, GA

June 12, 2006
3:45 PM

Post #2381675

Kooger, areyou able to buy plants rings to hold up the foliage in the US? In England I had mine help by plant rings and they worked very well. The plants look beautiful and don't flop.
Plantcrazii
Dallas, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 12, 2006
4:11 PM

Post #2381774

Are you talking about the plant rings that Rob's Violets sells. If so, Allison bought some from there. So maybe they could help you too.

Jesse
Spider07
Lilburn, GA

June 12, 2006
4:19 PM

Post #2381804

I think the ones for violets are too small. These are rings with supports and keep the plants high from the ground.
Plantcrazii
Dallas, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 12, 2006
4:24 PM

Post #2381823

So how can I learn how to grow these beautiful flowers. I have admired them for a long time but I thought they only grew in the spring and summer and then died. I did not know that you could keep them as a houseplant. I love the beautiful blue ones. They are so pretty.

Jesse
Spider07
Lilburn, GA

June 12, 2006
4:40 PM

Post #2381874

these are hardy geraniums, outdoor plants that grow in borders.
Plantcrazii
Dallas, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 12, 2006
4:43 PM

Post #2381890

So how do I know which ones are are grown indoors and which ones are grown outdoors?

Jesse
Spider07
Lilburn, GA

June 12, 2006
4:50 PM

Post #2381909

the outside ones are called hardy geraniums.
Plantcrazii
Dallas, TX
(Zone 8a)

June 12, 2006
5:05 PM

Post #2381976

Okay. Thanks for letting me know. When I have gone to HD, the only ones that I've ever seen are the red ones. I didn't even know that they came in blue or the other colors. So how do you find these hardy ones? Do you grown them from seed?

Jesse

kooger

kooger
Oostburg, WI
(Zone 5b)

June 13, 2006
12:57 AM

Post #2383526

Yes, we can buy various kinds of rings but I learned from a thread a couple of years ago, cutting a four ring tomato ladder in half and making two small holder-uppers! :) I really like a plant that doesn t flop tho. Going out to take pics of 115 and 125.

kooger

kooger
Oostburg, WI
(Zone 5b)

June 13, 2006
1:14 AM

Post #2383619

Ok here goes - this is # 115 - these are seeds from one of Boots' crosses - you'll have to tell the parentage if anyone is interested. They are now 2 year old plants. The leaves are very large - up to 5 inches across. The plant stands about 2 ft tall.

Thumbnail by kooger

kooger

kooger
Oostburg, WI
(Zone 5b)

June 13, 2006
1:17 AM

Post #2383631

And here is # 125. This plant is larger than 115 - wider, but close to the same height.

Thumbnail by kooger

kooger

kooger
Oostburg, WI
(Zone 5b)

June 13, 2006
1:19 AM

Post #2383646

This one shows the blue colour better - behind it is the Johnson's Blue which is a little larger bloom and a darker blue.

Thumbnail by kooger

Spider07
Lilburn, GA

June 13, 2006
1:21 AM

Post #2383662

Kooger, they are stunning!

How many geraniums do you have?

kooger

kooger
Oostburg, WI
(Zone 5b)

June 13, 2006
1:27 AM

Post #2383698

Not a lot - besides those two, there's another one of them in the front bed, one of those , hmm, how did that get there? plants. I think those seeds germinated so well, I ended up begging peeps to take them. I believe one got planted there cuz I thought a plant had died. Now it's sharing the space with a 'crazy daisy'. lol Neither is doing well, too much shade. But I digress, as usual...

Nimbus
Johnson's Blue
Sanguineum
reddish flowered one whose tag appears to have gone awol!
starting seeds for Splish Splash

kooger

kooger
Oostburg, WI
(Zone 5b)

June 13, 2006
1:35 AM

Post #2383750

Plantcrazii - the outdoor perennial plants are geraniums. The large bloomed, tender plants are called pelargoniums but the common name is geranium. Sometimes they will say zonal geranium on the tag. Martha Washingtons are also tender geraniums - known as Regal in the UK. Ivyies are also pelargoniums.

Here's the lineage of a perennial-
Family: Geraniaceae
Genus: Geranium
Cultivar: Johnson's Blue

Here's the lineage of a zonal-
Family: Geraniaceae
Genus: Pelargonium
Species: x hortorum
Cultivar: Vancouver Centennial

Hope this helps explain the difference. Ithink Boots could tell u a whole lot more. :)

bootandall

bootandall
Blenheim
New Zealand

June 13, 2006
9:08 AM

Post #2384847

kooger I think you have explaned it way better than I could.
Erodium are lovelly too.
your geraniums have grown up to be beautys . I think your125 and mine are all most the same

Thumbnail by bootandall

kooger

kooger
Oostburg, WI
(Zone 5b)

June 28, 2006
5:03 AM

Post #2442074

I think I accidently 'unwatched' this thread. lol Your's looks a bit more lavender or mauve than mine. Mine was definitely blue, light blue. Are u saying that your's is 125 also? Different colours from the same cross?

bootandall

bootandall
Blenheim
New Zealand

June 28, 2006
10:35 AM

Post #2442335

Yes LOL this is the plant I call 125, but I also call the seed that, so I know , and you know, what you might get.
Seed from the same plant may all turn out different. As my pics above are, there are still more to flower, but next spring now.

kooger

kooger
Oostburg, WI
(Zone 5b)

June 28, 2006
11:51 AM

Post #2442492

oh, very interesting to see how they all turn out. Are you looking for a particular colour?
Allison_FL
Dunedin, FL
(Zone 10b)

July 3, 2006
1:59 AM

Post #2459933

HHmmm heard you girls say my name !
Jesse look here for different types to buy..
geraniums erodiums pelargoniums

http://geraniaceae.com/geraniums/

http://geraniaceae.com/pelargoniums/

http://geraniaceae.com/erodiums/
Allison_FL
Dunedin, FL
(Zone 10b)

July 3, 2006
2:07 AM

Post #2459964

Jesse I think you will realy like this one !

http://geraniaceae.com/bin/detail.cgi?id=547

kooger

kooger
Oostburg, WI
(Zone 5b)

July 3, 2006
2:15 AM

Post #2459987

that is gorgeous! ...I have never heard of erodiums before reading this thread. The coolest(temp) one I saw on that site was z5 so I doubt I will be trying any.
Allison_FL
Dunedin, FL
(Zone 10b)

July 3, 2006
10:39 AM

Post #2460916

They are Gorgous ! The prices are not bad either !

bootandall

bootandall
Blenheim
New Zealand

July 3, 2006
11:43 AM

Post #2460990

they are great links Violet , did not know there are so many,
kooger just trying to grow something that looks good.
and my computer always goes wrong here.

Plantcrazii
Dallas, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 3, 2006
10:38 PM

Post #2463749

Yes, I do like that one. It is beautiful.

Jesse
Allison_FL
Dunedin, FL
(Zone 10b)

July 4, 2006
10:48 AM

Post #2465339

It always amazes me how many of each type of plant there is. I never knew there were over 30 thousand African violets, so many Begonia, Bromeliads, Plumeria ALL of them ! Isn't it wonderful ! I look at all the beauties wish I could have them all. lol
Jesse I kenw you'd like that one and the prices are not bad either !
Plantcrazii
Dallas, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 4, 2006
4:30 PM

Post #2466168

Yes I do love it. It is a real beauty. But where I'm moving there is all shade except for a little morning sun in the front. So I need to know what types of plants grow in all shade for my back yard. It is total shade. I finally get my outside plants growing and then I have to move across the street to total shade. But I do have a little sun in the mornings so I think what I will be okay. I will sit my plants around the front where the sun shines in the morning. And maybe someone knows what will grow in the shade. I went to Walmart last night but all they had were annuals for the sun and nothing for the shade. I guess maybe someone will know something. But I love the ones you just showed me. They really are pretty.

Jesse
Allison_FL
Dunedin, FL
(Zone 10b)

July 5, 2006
11:40 AM

Post #2469269

Jesse
I feel morning sun is fine. Here in Florida nothing takes Full sun even plants that say they do.
A year a half ago we moved down the street leaving behind thousands of $$$ of garden beds. The people did not care for them. They even dug up expensive roses and more. I just don't go look anymore. Here our garden beds are less but fun mostly all shade and everything grows prfect in it !
We are now moving next door . Next door needs lots of repairs and have to sell this home ... This time we are digging up all plants. Except our Colous ( SP) we have had about 4 years. We can take cuttings it roots and grows like a weed. ! We Love it ! I shall have just about all shae there also, hardly any windows compared to here for my plants. But I will have an extra bedroom for my plants. A couple screen room I think I can grow Begonias and Epsicas in but I'm not sure Winters still can get cold . Hubby may close in front screen room with windows and we already have the windows he bought while back on a good deal !
I'm not up for a move not even next door, thewn selling this home fixing that one. But my neighbor died and we got a great deal.
We have a beautiful 100 percent done over single wide with add on and screen room will be selling ~~
We are getting a double wide 24 x 56 for same price BUT it has no Roof over, needs all new plywood floors lots of repairs when ours is move in condtion. BUT the park owner bought it from our neighbors kids more a less gave us the moeny to buy it and when we sell ours we pay him back. This is a hugh Blessing as we would not ever had the money to buy it. But we do have to save pennies even more as we have to pay two lots rents/two electrcity, two insurance until we sell ours. Praying ours sell fast !
Jesse past to days I went to bed early/;ate afternoon all night , with pain..did not pack. Do you want your plants now or after you move ?

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Geraniums, Pelargoniums and Erodiums Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Never grew these before.. Brugie 21 May 3, 2007 2:20 PM
Visions Light Pink echoes 5 May 4, 2009 8:38 PM
Overwintering - dumb question, I know AlohaHoya 28 Mar 19, 2007 4:00 PM
Hardy Geranium resource links, info, and pics? tabasco 46 Jul 26, 2007 7:26 PM
Plain ole standard geranium....how cold can i let them get?? sticks_n_stones 12 Mar 30, 2007 2:12 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America