Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

Clerodendrum incisum-Musical Note Plant

(Nadine) Devers, TX(Zone 9b)

The blooms on this one looks like little musical notes!!!!

Thumbnail by Moodene
Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

That is way cool!

Jacksonville, AR(Zone 7b)

That is so neat. I've never even heard of this one.

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

That is one neat plant!

Carlisle, PA(Zone 6b)

Where did you get it? I'd like to get one for my greenhouse. T hanks.

Kannapolis, NC(Zone 7b)

Very pretty. I had bought one and it died over the winter.

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I've seen them at Top Tropicals

I got mine at a nursery that I work at when he has sales 3 times a year..so he pays me in plants...lol..

west Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Moodene...is that cold hardy outside? Say as hardy as clerondendrum ugandense is?
Debbie

Yep...I planted mine on the south side of my house to begin with..

Moodene--
That is one cool plant. Here it is in the PlantFiles:
http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/67699/index.html

Your pic and zip code report needs to be there so folks will know it grows somewhere other than the phillipines!
Debbie

Tolleson, AZ(Zone 9a)

That is one cool plant. Moodene how hot cold does your area get?

Moodene--
I had to have this plant today when I saw it. Tell me; they are saying afternoon shade here in Houston...What say you? Do you keep yours on the dry or wet side?
Debbie

Mine is in morning sun and shade for the rest of the day here..Most of my front flowerbed gets gray water from my kitchen and laundry water...and lots of piggy poop..ground stays moisted most of the time..
I have about maybe 10 to 20 days of weather that dips near frost but other than that..I have mild winters..
Well so far about my heat...I am having cooler breezes coming from the Anauhac Bay which is about 25 min from here...in the mornings and evenings..

Missouri City, TX(Zone 9a)

Moodene compared to Houston that sounds like paradise, all except the piggy poop! What are you near that I might know?

Deb are you planting in the ground or potting? I am thinking about a pot w/ soil moist to help it stay consistantly moist, not wet.

April--
RJ says its drought tolerant once established and likes it dry. His gets about 4 hrs sun from 10-2 but says he thinks it needs more because it hasn't bloomed. Mine has small blooms set--that might work this year. I'm going to gradually acclimate mine to full sun if I can. Today it got full sun until now--I just pulled it up under the eaves. Tomorrow I try until 1 pm. I got a big plastic pot for it. RJ said he's going to get one this morning--he got one last year--he lives in the Heights. I assume my biggest problem with it is going to be winter. I don't have a greenhouse and a lot of shade out back in winter. I'll try up against that reflective garage door in the front. Things don't freeze out front (southern exposure) nearly as much as out back (northern exposure). And easy to pull into garage.

Moodene--
Actually composted piggy poop sounds perfect--I'd like to have lots of that. I know where Anahuac is--I lived in Groves in college (graduate of 'Harvard on the Neches' here) went through there all the time going to beach. I mixed the soil up organically with a 7-7-2 Alaska fertilizer, and two other organics one a 3-5-7 and the other a 5-3-3. Now I'm glad I did exactly that--looks like it responds to your organic approach. I'm real concerned with soil over the long haul, even in pots. Now if I could just get these stores to get in some bat guano--that would be perfect as I don't have access to any pigs, horses, or cows here in the suburbs. Thanks for your info on caring for this plant! By the way; think you might come to the fall RU? Sounds like you have some neat plants!
Debbie

April..just an idea where I am located... I can tell ya...there was a very bad tour bus wreck just outside of Devers that killed some girls from Westbrook high school couple months ago..I am just about 4 miles from that site...- I live 35 miles west of Beaumont where I was on the edge of the Hurricane Rita storm..I only lost the tops of two pine trees.and zillons of limbs where the trees cleaned themselves of dead limbs..lol...
Composted Mushrooms is great too..I buy bags of that stuff to help out as well..I do the layering of newspapers,organic humus,composted mushroom,play sand, and pine bark mulch that is finely shredded mixed all together and put on top of this gumbo soil..and leave that for a year...most of my flowerbeds are takes a year to do what I want it to do..

This message was edited Jun 16, 2006 1:45 PM

Keaau, HI(Zone 11)

OH cool...now I know what I have!!! It grows here at the Onomea Botanical Garden....lots and lots of rain...but everything is planted in cinder soil so it drains really fast!!! Can't wait to put mine in the ground....

Thanks for posting that!

Carol

Niceville, FL(Zone 8b)

Oh my gosh! A plant I dont have. That is very cool.

Ok after reading all I think I have a good site for it, will pot it and get it used to sun- I have a spot where it will get sun until about 1 or 2.

Moodene clearly you are doing it the right way, I wish I had the patience, I am an immediate gratification sort of person when it comes to putting in landscape.

LOL..my grandma tells me a thought all the time ...and it works with just about anything you do....if ya look at it in different ways...3 P's of what ya want to do...
Gardening-doing a flowerbed Practice(research) + Patience(growing and learning)= Perfection(garden looks great)
Sewing-my hobby-Practice (lots of sewing) + patience (don't rush making garment)= Perfection (outfit looks great)

All my flowerbeds take a year to settle before I plant anything in it...cuz I am---(Practicing)--layering organic humus,compost mushroom,pine bark mulch,piggy poop,chicken poop,leaves, grass all on top of the ground wherever I plan to make a flowerbed..(Patience) Wait a year for them-( do 2 or 3 beds a year) settle..( Patience) Have few flowerbeds to play in next spring...lol...

Smart lady your grandma!

Moodene--I agree with your philosophy on bed building organically. In the long run its cheaper, better for the land, and things grow better.
Debbie

Updated pic of the open bloom.

Thumbnail by Moodene

gorgeous! How tall is your plant?
Debbie

It is 3 feet tall and have 4 more bloom heads on it...They fixing to open soon...will post pic when they do..lol

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

I might have spoke too soon Debbie...mine has grown a few inches since we last talked, and is beginning to show some activity...but definately my varigated clero has to move to more sun I think.

Ok I potted mine and put in an area where it will get morning sun and be in shade by 1 or 2- I will watch it and make sure it is doing well. Mine had buds on it when I got it and they do look as though they are a little more open. Will keep watching....

RJ--what variegated clero?

Clerodendrum quadriloculare
Clerodendrum bungei'Pink Diamond'
Those comes to my mind fast..

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

It is quadriloculare var. brandonii
- I was going to move it this weekend, but still raining. I did check out the musical note in its location- it does have blooms on it! I think it is really liking the rain. I also went to Joshuas and bought nearly the last musical note and also added clerodendrum trichotomum to my collection. I just resqued it from the back yard...it was sitting in a couple inches of water. Hope your places are okay!
Now I have Clerodendrum bungei, Clerodendrum indicum, Clerodendrum minahassae, Clerodendrum philippinum, quadriloculare var. brandonii (varigated one), Clerodendrum quadriloculare, Clerodendrum speciosissimum, Clerodendrum thomsoniae, Clerodendrum thomsoniae detectum, and favorite Clerodendrum ugandense.

Here is what it's looking like here..I ran out to pick the new trichotomum out of the water and brought my camera.

Thumbnail by rjuddharrison

Great collection! or are you cornoring the market on Clerodendrums? LOL.

I had good luck rooting the clerodendrum incisum in soil too. My clerodendrum ugandense is 9' tall and 5' wide now (and that's after freezing to ground level)....I like it; but one is definitely enough of them! lol

I'm out on west side north hwy 6--we have excellent drainage. I notice the parts of Houston that are flooding are the same parts that flood everytime it spits any rain. I'm never going to complain about rain in the summer--I know what the alternative is!
Debbie

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Right!? me either, although the news is showing some grim pictures...another episode of
"Stuck on the Highway in Houston" nightmare partII aaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhscccreeeech.

I found the clerodendrums so diverese...they really are a cool species...When I was in Kauai visiting a friend, she had a shooting star in full bloom about 9 feet high..what a beauty..! I
Deb...that ugandense that froze to the ground is 9 feet high already!!?? wow
wonder if I should trim mine a bit..it is huge, but not blooming as much as last year. I read somewhere not to trim it too hard as they don't like it. They are liking this rain though.

RJ mine is not blooming as much this year as last- I had cut it back some after the freeze, but not hard.

RJ-
Mine's blooming real good now--but has just started in the last 2 weeks. Do you have Panama Rose?
link:
http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/55236/index.html

I'll root you some--thrives on total neglect. Great tropical plant for working people. My rangoon's blooming real good too--its in full sun. If it wasn't raining (I might melt you know) I'd take a picture for you. I loved Hawaii too--esp. upland Maui--100 foot Jacaranda's in full bloom, plumerias everywhere, in the ground, huge trees in full bloom.
Debbie

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Really? some years it must do better than others. The sun situation changed in my yard when Rita blew through last year and knocked over the 100 yr old pecan tree next door- It gets alot more sun..not sure if that affects it or not? I did put up an umbrella over the area and it blocks about 2 hours of late afternoon sun-- one of those Thai sau paper umbrellas and it started to bloom a bit more..thinking mabe the sun exposure may have some influence.

Both my rangoon and my ugandense are in full sun--all day long. That's why I'm going to try to acclimate the clero incisum to it too..afterall the PlantFiles has a beautiful one in the Phillipines--full sun--their summers hot and humid too. It's the winter that has me worried; no greenhouse here like you. I don't mind pulling in and out a few plants...but that one I will. I think its worth it. That's what I like about plumies--just yank 'em up, shake the dirt off, find a seldom used closet. lol

edited to add: I've noticed the news media just loves disasters--and will turn something that isn't really one, into one. ;)

This message was edited Jun 19, 2006 10:09 AM

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

You know..I saw a picture of your rangoon last week, and it looked real good!! Lots of mulch? I think they take a couple of years to really get going don't you?
Panama rose..oh boy..yes ..
Is there something you like me to root for you?
Here is a pict of the varigate..as you can see- some unexpected sugar cane is weaving it's way through the pond edge. Yesterday that sugarcane was only 9inches tall - today it s 1.5 feet tall. I think I am going to take a pict everyday to see how fast it grows. anyway the varigate hasn't grown much..was leaving it there to see how well it does..the musical note is just to the right behind the umbrella plant - which paid off I guess in leaving it in place-

Thumbnail by rjuddharrison
Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Yes...it makes me want to go...ooohh..work...I can't make it to work..flood..aaaahh....I just heard the governer is sending in national guard.....I heard hobby area really got it bad.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.