Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Tropical Plants: Clerodendrum incisum-Musical Note Plant

Communities > Forums > Tropical Plants
bookmark
Forum: Tropical PlantsReplies: 186, Views: 800
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Moodene
(Nadine) Devers, TX
(Zone 9b)

June 12, 2006
5:04 PM

Post #2381973

The blooms on this one looks like little musical notes!!!!

Thumbnail by Moodene
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Desertdenial5
Tolleson, AZ
(Zone 9a)

June 12, 2006
5:10 PM

Post #2381998

That is way cool!
patootie
Jacksonville, AR
(Zone 7b)

June 12, 2006
6:05 PM

Post #2382153

That is so neat. I've never even heard of this one.
Calalily
Deep South Coastal, TX
(Zone 10a)

June 12, 2006
9:59 PM

Post #2382915

That is one neat plant!
Buttoneer
Carlisle, PA
(Zone 6b)

June 13, 2006
4:45 PM

Post #2385999

Where did you get it? I'd like to get one for my greenhouse. T hanks.
ahelms
Kannapolis, NC
(Zone 7b)

June 13, 2006
4:51 PM

Post #2386027

Very pretty. I had bought one and it died over the winter.
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

June 13, 2006
7:12 PM

Post #2386431

I've seen them at Top Tropicals
Moodene
(Nadine) Devers, TX
(Zone 9b)

June 13, 2006
8:53 PM

Post #2386752

I got mine at a nursery that I work at when he has sales 3 times a year..so he pays me in plants...lol..
dmj1218
west Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 13, 2006
8:59 PM

Post #2386765

Moodene...is that cold hardy outside? Say as hardy as clerondendrum ugandense is?
Debbie
Moodene
(Nadine) Devers, TX
(Zone 9b)

June 13, 2006
10:19 PM

Post #2387038

Yep...I planted mine on the south side of my house to begin with..
dmj1218
west Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 14, 2006
1:37 PM

Post #2389142

Moodene--
That is one cool plant. Here it is in the PlantFiles:
http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/67699/index.html

Your pic and zip code report needs to be there so folks will know it grows somewhere other than the phillipines!
Debbie
Desertdenial5
Tolleson, AZ
(Zone 9a)

June 14, 2006
2:09 PM

Post #2389273

That is one cool plant. Moodene how hot cold does your area get?
dmj1218
west Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 14, 2006
8:29 PM

Post #2390400

Moodene--
I had to have this plant today when I saw it. Tell me; they are saying afternoon shade here in Houston...What say you? Do you keep yours on the dry or wet side?
Debbie
Moodene
(Nadine) Devers, TX
(Zone 9b)

June 16, 2006
12:46 PM

Post #2396602

Mine is in morning sun and shade for the rest of the day here..Most of my front flowerbed gets gray water from my kitchen and laundry water...and lots of piggy poop..ground stays moisted most of the time..
I have about maybe 10 to 20 days of weather that dips near frost but other than that..I have mild winters..
Well so far about my heat...I am having cooler breezes coming from the Anauhac Bay which is about 25 min from here...in the mornings and evenings..
aprilwillis
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 16, 2006
2:27 PM

Post #2396887

Moodene compared to Houston that sounds like paradise, all except the piggy poop! What are you near that I might know?

Deb are you planting in the ground or potting? I am thinking about a pot w/ soil moist to help it stay consistantly moist, not wet.
dmj1218
west Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 16, 2006
5:19 PM

Post #2397486

April--
RJ says its drought tolerant once established and likes it dry. His gets about 4 hrs sun from 10-2 but says he thinks it needs more because it hasn't bloomed. Mine has small blooms set--that might work this year. I'm going to gradually acclimate mine to full sun if I can. Today it got full sun until now--I just pulled it up under the eaves. Tomorrow I try until 1 pm. I got a big plastic pot for it. RJ said he's going to get one this morning--he got one last year--he lives in the Heights. I assume my biggest problem with it is going to be winter. I don't have a greenhouse and a lot of shade out back in winter. I'll try up against that reflective garage door in the front. Things don't freeze out front (southern exposure) nearly as much as out back (northern exposure). And easy to pull into garage.

Moodene--
Actually composted piggy poop sounds perfect--I'd like to have lots of that. I know where Anahuac is--I lived in Groves in college (graduate of 'Harvard on the Neches' here) went through there all the time going to beach. I mixed the soil up organically with a 7-7-2 Alaska fertilizer, and two other organics one a 3-5-7 and the other a 5-3-3. Now I'm glad I did exactly that--looks like it responds to your organic approach. I'm real concerned with soil over the long haul, even in pots. Now if I could just get these stores to get in some bat guano--that would be perfect as I don't have access to any pigs, horses, or cows here in the suburbs. Thanks for your info on caring for this plant! By the way; think you might come to the fall RU? Sounds like you have some neat plants!
Debbie
Moodene
(Nadine) Devers, TX
(Zone 9b)

June 16, 2006
5:43 PM

Post #2397575

April..just an idea where I am located... I can tell ya...there was a very bad tour bus wreck just outside of Devers that killed some girls from Westbrook high school couple months ago..I am just about 4 miles from that site...- I live 35 miles west of Beaumont where I was on the edge of the Hurricane Rita storm..I only lost the tops of two pine trees.and zillons of limbs where the trees cleaned themselves of dead limbs..lol...
Composted Mushrooms is great too..I buy bags of that stuff to help out as well..I do the layering of newspapers,organic humus,composted mushroom,play sand, and pine bark mulch that is finely shredded mixed all together and put on top of this gumbo soil..and leave that for a year...most of my flowerbeds are takes a year to do what I want it to do..

This message was edited Jun 16, 2006 1:45 PM
AlohaHoya
Keaau, HI
(Zone 11)

June 16, 2006
9:26 PM

Post #2398326

OH cool...now I know what I have!!! It grows here at the Onomea Botanical Garden...lots and lots of rain...but everything is planted in cinder soil so it drains really fast!!! Can't wait to put mine in the ground...

Thanks for posting that!

Carol
rylaff
Niceville, FL
(Zone 8b)

June 17, 2006
11:45 AM

Post #2400053

Oh my gosh! A plant I dont have. That is very cool.
aprilwillis
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 17, 2006
12:51 PM

Post #2400222

Ok after reading all I think I have a good site for it, will pot it and get it used to sun- I have a spot where it will get sun until about 1 or 2.

Moodene clearly you are doing it the right way, I wish I had the patience, I am an immediate gratification sort of person when it comes to putting in landscape.
Moodene
(Nadine) Devers, TX
(Zone 9b)

June 17, 2006
1:26 PM

Post #2400316

LOL..my grandma tells me a thought all the time ...and it works with just about anything you do...if ya look at it in different ways...3 P's of what ya want to do...
Gardening-doing a flowerbed Practice(research) + Patience(growing and learning)= Perfection(garden looks great)
Sewing-my hobby-Practice (lots of sewing) + patience (don't rush making garment)= Perfection (outfit looks great)

All my flowerbeds take a year to settle before I plant anything in it...cuz I am---(Practicing)--layering organic humus,compost mushroom,pine bark mulch,piggy poop,chicken poop,leaves, grass all on top of the ground wherever I plan to make a flowerbed..(Patience) Wait a year for them-( do 2 or 3 beds a year) settle..( Patience) Have few flowerbeds to play in next spring...lol...
aprilwillis
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 17, 2006
1:28 PM

Post #2400321

Smart lady your grandma!
dmj1218
west Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 17, 2006
1:29 PM

Post #2400324

Moodene--I agree with your philosophy on bed building organically. In the long run its cheaper, better for the land, and things grow better.
Debbie
Moodene
(Nadine) Devers, TX
(Zone 9b)

June 17, 2006
1:38 PM

Post #2400348

Updated pic of the open bloom.

Thumbnail by Moodene

dmj1218
west Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 17, 2006
1:49 PM

Post #2400393

gorgeous! How tall is your plant?
Debbie
Moodene
(Nadine) Devers, TX
(Zone 9b)

June 17, 2006
2:04 PM

Post #2400455

It is 3 feet tall and have 4 more bloom heads on it...They fixing to open soon...will post pic when they do..lol
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 18, 2006
5:45 PM

Post #2404605

I might have spoke too soon Debbie...mine has grown a few inches since we last talked, and is beginning to show some activity...but definately my varigated clero has to move to more sun I think.
aprilwillis
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 18, 2006
5:51 PM

Post #2404633

Ok I potted mine and put in an area where it will get morning sun and be in shade by 1 or 2- I will watch it and make sure it is doing well. Mine had buds on it when I got it and they do look as though they are a little more open. Will keep watching...
dmj1218
west Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 18, 2006
5:59 PM

Post #2404646

RJ--what variegated clero?
Moodene
(Nadine) Devers, TX
(Zone 9b)

June 18, 2006
9:29 PM

Post #2405332

Clerodendrum quadriloculare
Clerodendrum bungei'Pink Diamond'
Those comes to my mind fast..
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 19, 2006
1:50 PM

Post #2407655

It is quadriloculare var. brandonii
- I was going to move it this weekend, but still raining. I did check out the musical note in its location- it does have blooms on it! I think it is really liking the rain. I also went to Joshuas and bought nearly the last musical note and also added clerodendrum trichotomum to my collection. I just resqued it from the back yard...it was sitting in a couple inches of water. Hope your places are okay!
Now I have Clerodendrum bungei, Clerodendrum indicum, Clerodendrum minahassae, Clerodendrum philippinum, quadriloculare var. brandonii (varigated one), Clerodendrum quadriloculare, Clerodendrum speciosissimum, Clerodendrum thomsoniae, Clerodendrum thomsoniae detectum, and favorite Clerodendrum ugandense.

Here is what it's looking like here..I ran out to pick the new trichotomum out of the water and brought my camera.

Thumbnail by rjuddharrison

aprilwillis
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 19, 2006
1:56 PM

Post #2407675

Great collection! or are you cornoring the market on Clerodendrums? LOL.
dmj1218
west Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 19, 2006
1:59 PM

Post #2407682

I had good luck rooting the clerodendrum incisum in soil too. My clerodendrum ugandense is 9' tall and 5' wide now (and that's after freezing to ground level)...I like it; but one is definitely enough of them! lol

I'm out on west side north hwy 6--we have excellent drainage. I notice the parts of Houston that are flooding are the same parts that flood everytime it spits any rain. I'm never going to complain about rain in the summer--I know what the alternative is!
Debbie
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 19, 2006
2:31 PM

Post #2407831

Right!? me either, although the news is showing some grim pictures...another episode of
"Stuck on the Highway in Houston" nightmare partII aaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhscccreeeech.

I found the clerodendrums so diverese...they really are a cool species...When I was in Kauai visiting a friend, she had a shooting star in full bloom about 9 feet high..what a beauty..! I
Deb...that ugandense that froze to the ground is 9 feet high already!!?? wow
wonder if I should trim mine a bit..it is huge, but not blooming as much as last year. I read somewhere not to trim it too hard as they don't like it. They are liking this rain though.
aprilwillis
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 19, 2006
2:37 PM

Post #2407861

RJ mine is not blooming as much this year as last- I had cut it back some after the freeze, but not hard.
dmj1218
west Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 19, 2006
2:58 PM

Post #2407972

RJ-
Mine's blooming real good now--but has just started in the last 2 weeks. Do you have Panama Rose?
link:
http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/55236/index.html

I'll root you some--thrives on total neglect. Great tropical plant for working people. My rangoon's blooming real good too--its in full sun. If it wasn't raining (I might melt you know) I'd take a picture for you. I loved Hawaii too--esp. upland Maui--100 foot Jacaranda's in full bloom, plumerias everywhere, in the ground, huge trees in full bloom.
Debbie
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 19, 2006
3:00 PM

Post #2407985

Really? some years it must do better than others. The sun situation changed in my yard when Rita blew through last year and knocked over the 100 yr old pecan tree next door- It gets alot more sun..not sure if that affects it or not? I did put up an umbrella over the area and it blocks about 2 hours of late afternoon sun-- one of those Thai sau paper umbrellas and it started to bloom a bit more..thinking mabe the sun exposure may have some influence.
dmj1218
west Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 19, 2006
3:05 PM

Post #2408003

Both my rangoon and my ugandense are in full sun--all day long. That's why I'm going to try to acclimate the clero incisum to it too..afterall the PlantFiles has a beautiful one in the Phillipines--full sun--their summers hot and humid too. It's the winter that has me worried; no greenhouse here like you. I don't mind pulling in and out a few plants...but that one I will. I think its worth it. That's what I like about plumies--just yank 'em up, shake the dirt off, find a seldom used closet. lol

edited to add: I've noticed the news media just loves disasters--and will turn something that isn't really one, into one. ;)

This message was edited Jun 19, 2006 10:09 AM
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 19, 2006
3:15 PM

Post #2408050

You know..I saw a picture of your rangoon last week, and it looked real good!! Lots of mulch? I think they take a couple of years to really get going don't you?
Panama rose..oh boy..yes ..
Is there something you like me to root for you?
Here is a pict of the varigate..as you can see- some unexpected sugar cane is weaving it's way through the pond edge. Yesterday that sugarcane was only 9inches tall - today it s 1.5 feet tall. I think I am going to take a pict everyday to see how fast it grows. anyway the varigate hasn't grown much..was leaving it there to see how well it does..the musical note is just to the right behind the umbrella plant - which paid off I guess in leaving it in place-

rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 19, 2006
3:17 PM

Post #2408060

Yes...it makes me want to go...ooohh..work...I can't make it to work..flood..aaaahh...I just heard the governer is sending in national guard...I heard hobby area really got it bad.
dmj1218
west Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 19, 2006
4:14 PM

Post #2408295

RJ--
Looks good! I will let you know when I next come down that way. I built a butterfly garden over there at Hamilton MS (worked there in the Vanguard school--teach science) and one of our now retired team teachers has a beautiful piece of property on Lake Livingston. She brought us some sugar cane from her 'ranch' and the kids were just amazed by it...they really are clueless that so many drugs, etc. first started out as a substance found in a plant. They rain forest these kids to death in elementary school and leave out that one important fact...

I just got out and ran to the grocery store for milk and bread for the 'hordes' of teenagers that hang over here with mine all the time...streets were just fine. But I have also used it as an excuse not to go to work before too.

Everything here is heavily mulched--that's why I like big rainfalls like this..at least I know the ground underneath is getting good and wet and will stay that way for a while.

Any kinda plant you think is cool will do. Ill love it, I'm a plant collector. lol
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 19, 2006
4:34 PM

Post #2408366

I will look forward to your visit then!! You can come back and pick some plants! I really like Joshuas..he has really good prices for the types of plants.. I am drooling over that weeping blue ginger..it is gorgeous..
Yes..I dug my sugar can up at a friends farm as well...It took a couple of years for it to take, the the rita tree blew down and it's going crazy...I have to keep the first stalks from hanging over my arch, or the white passion flower vine nabs it...I don't work until 130pm mon-wed, then am at work at noon thu-fri, weekends off for now. I am dreading going into work today ..I work at System Operations Control Center for Continental..so we work with problems in every corner of the world.(weight and balance)..Today Newark and Houston will be a joy of tangled delays..arrrrgghh...better take some aspirin now!!
dmj1218
west Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 19, 2006
4:41 PM

Post #2408397

He's a nice guy too, I think. Leaves you alone to shop and accurately answers questions when you have them.

Yep I pity you--plenty of delays, but your drive will be fine unless your out of Hobby. I hate end of Dec-end of Jan; I go to work in the dark and don't get home till after dark. At least you have some morning time to see your garden every day!
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 19, 2006
8:40 PM

Post #2409248

this is true...alas..I work down town...so needless to say my comute can be on a bicycle if gas gets too out of control. I am considering a scooter...we're the only nation that doesn't have hundreds of scooters in the inner cities. It's time we change our ways.! Save money, buy a clerodendrum!
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 22, 2006
1:32 PM

Post #2419707

Ah! I spoke too soon. The rains must have given mine a kick start. I was right when I said I saw some activity..Little notes starting to pop out...This is the first bloom for me.

dmj1218
west Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 22, 2006
1:37 PM

Post #2419724

How big is your plant RJ? I've got a bloom on mine too--I was thinking the blooms would be larger.
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 22, 2006
3:16 PM

Post #2420106

Yes..me too..I thought so too..this one is about 2 feet tall, however the blooms portion is only about 9 inches tall or so, about the same as the ones we got at Joshuas.
dmj1218
west Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 22, 2006
3:18 PM

Post #2420117

mine's much smaller than that--only about 2" wide and high.

Thumbnail by dmj1218

rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 22, 2006
4:39 PM

Post #2420479

I noticed on the new growth ...if you look at the picture..the leaves to the left...are extremely serated compared to the leaves where it's blooming
Buttoneer
Carlisle, PA
(Zone 6b)

June 22, 2006
5:00 PM

Post #2420572

It seems to me that the only local nurseries carrying this plant are in TX. Darn!!!!
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 22, 2006
5:41 PM

Post #2420713

Yes..although my first one I bought at Tops Tropicals in florida...Topstropicals.com...
nice place for plants you can't get a hold of localy.
Rj

Here is a link, or you can find it in plantscout
http://www.toptropicals.com/index.htm

This message was edited Jun 22, 2006 12:51 PM
Moodene
(Nadine) Devers, TX
(Zone 9b)

June 22, 2006
7:52 PM

Post #2421142

Mine is fixing to bloom again..still waiting...lol...
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 22, 2006
8:18 PM

Post #2421238

cool...more pictures...is yours in full sun..I forgot
dmj1218
west Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 22, 2006
8:58 PM

Post #2421386

Oh so they are repeat bloomers huh? That's another plus for the plant!
Moodene
(Nadine) Devers, TX
(Zone 9b)

June 23, 2006
2:50 AM

Post #2422622

Mine is in morning sun and shade the rest of the day...
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 23, 2006
1:44 PM

Post #2423627

Okay...and the quadrocular...sp...is that in shade too?
aprilwillis
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 23, 2006
3:15 PM

Post #2423972

I bought one @ Joshua's w/ Debbie- it had buds on it so I cannot take credit, it's in morning sun, afternoon filtered shade to shade: unfortunately the background for this photo is the light, nearly white garage!

Thumbnail by aprilwillis

dmj1218
west Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 23, 2006
3:46 PM

Post #2424075

The flowers in the PlantFiles just look so much bigger...mine's doing great in pretty much full sun. Its easy to root too. Just not as exciting a flower as I expected, unusual yes, just a lot smaller than expected.
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 23, 2006
4:02 PM

Post #2424137

LOL...they probably are - our plants are small..Just think how big our Ugandenses get...these probably have the capability of getting as big. I had to re-asses size when I saw my friends Variegated Starburst Bush, Shooting Star Clerodendrum quadriloculare var. brandonii - in full bloom, it was about 10 feet tall and spectacular..so ...it's the garden patience time...Like I was almost ready to give up on the one I had plante..and it is really adding growth right now after the rains..

Here is a pict of mine...see the left side of the plant..that is new growth...so it's taking off right now.

dmj1218
west Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 23, 2006
4:07 PM

Post #2424165

RJ--is yours in the ground? My clero u freezes to ground level every year--I'm not sure how hardy this one is...everything does do better in the ground though. Yours is 2 years old--on its 2nd summer right?
Debbie
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 23, 2006
8:54 PM

Post #2425184

Yes it is in the ground, but it is the first summer- I bought it in feb or mar I think. It is next to a tall fence and should be protected, in addition there will be lots of mulch on it during the winter..that is how I get the rubber trees to stay alive..is pile mulch and leaves on it.
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 26, 2006
1:17 AM

Post #2433233

okay...I admit it...I have never seen the full bloom on the insicum...I thought the note part was the bloom..I don't recall seeing a picture in the plant files...but then ..I didn't know what I was looking for.

aprilwillis
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 26, 2006
1:24 PM

Post #2434716

Me too, mine is opening all the way and when the stamens begin to show it's not all that tada! still pretty and unusual though.
jody
MD &, VA
(Zone 7b)

June 26, 2006
1:50 PM

Post #2434785

Thanks for posting the pic! I just got one of these Sat at a local nursery and all I knew was that it was a clero.
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 26, 2006
10:07 PM

Post #2436539

Sure...there wasn't a pic in plant files of the full bloom...I posted it so we will know what to expect
dmj1218
west Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 26, 2006
10:12 PM

Post #2436559

The one in the PlantFiles makes it look a lot bigger than it really is. lol
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 26, 2006
10:14 PM

Post #2436572

Well, I thought about that- and took some pictures up close of mine..and I think the one in the plant files is bigger.
dmj1218
west Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 26, 2006
10:16 PM

Post #2436586

Probably so, in its native environment; which my backyard is not. But I notice PlantFiles says full sun...I'm trying to get mine acclimated to that.
:) Debbie

edited to add: RJ--do you grown solalum seafothiana?

This message was edited Jun 26, 2006 5:17 PM
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 26, 2006
10:32 PM

Post #2436656

No...I have never seen that before...!! you can be sure I WILL though...got to remember that nam
dmj1218
west Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 26, 2006
11:02 PM

Post #2436788

Here it is in the PlantFiles:
http://davesgarden.com/pf/go/31445/index.html

Its a pretty, ORDERLY climber--in other words, it won't take over the planet. It takes full sun. I've got a few small ones from seed if you want one.
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 26, 2006
11:07 PM

Post #2436810

I know...I went and looked it up,,,then I put it in my exotic plant diary...to put on the menu..
I would LOVE to have a couple...!!...Thanks and many thanks..that is very cool
Moodene
(Nadine) Devers, TX
(Zone 9b)

June 27, 2006
12:35 AM

Post #2437073

That is Pretty!!!!!! By the way..here is my clero that all four heads bloomed over the weekend...

Thumbnail by Moodene

dmj1218
west Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 27, 2006
12:44 AM

Post #2437104

wow Moodene--bloomin' up a storm there...is yours in a pot?
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 27, 2006
12:58 AM

Post #2437153

Cool!
I noticed that they open at night or at dusk...was that a coincidence with mine..or is it a night bloomer.
Moodene
(Nadine) Devers, TX
(Zone 9b)

June 27, 2006
1:10 AM

Post #2437202

Mine is in the ground...have no clue when it opened,,I was gone all weekend and just took the pic this evening..
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 27, 2006
1:26 AM

Post #2437258

Mine has grown several inches this week.
dmj1218
west Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 27, 2006
2:10 AM

Post #2437433

Moodene--that sounds about like my luck...wait and hurry up and wait on a plant--then when you leave town a couple of days, it blooms.
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 27, 2006
2:33 AM

Post #2437645

oh..I know...I have an orchid I have been waiting on for 2 years...and its just about to bloom, so of course I will be leaving town on sunday...
Buttoneer
Carlisle, PA
(Zone 6b)

June 27, 2006
10:49 AM

Post #2438305

Does this Clerodendrum produce seeds?
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 27, 2006
12:42 PM

Post #2438532

It appears to me as if it does...I see the stamen extends about 4 inches when the blooms fall off-- but this is first year, so haven't gotten that far yet.
Moodene
(Nadine) Devers, TX
(Zone 9b)

June 27, 2006
3:17 PM

Post #2438997

I got this one for the first time as well..so have no clue about producing seeds...
dmj1218
west Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

June 27, 2006
6:47 PM

Post #2439868

It rooted very easily for me.
bugme
Barnesville, GA
(Zone 7b)

July 8, 2006
6:19 PM

Post #2482502

This was so charming when I first saw it, made me want one really bad. I found one today at WM for $10...about 2' tall in a 3gal pot. You never know what you'll find there!! According to the tag it will only take down to 30 so I'll pot it and take it to a friend's greenhouse to winter.
AlohaHoya
Keaau, HI
(Zone 11)

July 8, 2006
10:34 PM

Post #2483219

How did you treat the cuttings? Just in a pot or did you keep them in a misting chamber. I need to prune mine but want to start the cuttings. Hard wood or soft?
aprilwillis
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 8, 2006
10:39 PM

Post #2483231

The one I bought, that bloomed (had buds when i bought it a few weeks ago, has been in a pot w/ morning sun, afternoon shade and all this rain- anyway noticed earlier in the week during a break from the rain, that it has new buds on it so I am happy.
dmj1218
west Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 9, 2006
2:51 PM

Post #2485308

It handles full sun just fine--mine has been in full sun for about a month. Softwood cuttings in germinating mix root really easy--all clerondendrums root really easy. And its a repeat bloomer.
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 9, 2006
8:43 PM

Post #2486367

Mine is blooming again!
I just potted about 12 cuttings - it is one of the most popular requests from the garden
AlohaHoya
Keaau, HI
(Zone 11)

July 10, 2006
2:28 AM

Post #2487521

Great news...I have some long branches to cut off and I want to put them all over!!!! Thanks.
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 10, 2006
1:45 PM

Post #2488718

That's what I did-- especially during this very rainy week here
AlohaHoya
Keaau, HI
(Zone 11)

July 10, 2006
4:48 PM

Post #2489572

Is it true that this is one of the 'not so eager' clerodendruns?...that it doesn't go bananas sending runners out and invading?
dmj1218
west Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 10, 2006
5:48 PM

Post #2489792

Might very well be in more tropical climates---ask the person in the Phillipines with it on PlantFiles.

Clerondendrums, at least the ones I know, are all vigorous growers but clerondendrum ugandense is not invasive and hasn't moved from its original position for me in the ground in the 8 years I've owned it. So they are not all invasive. But some of them definitely are.
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 10, 2006
11:11 PM

Post #2490842

The only one I have seen with the runners is the Clerodendrum bungei, and yes..I have noticed that 5 feet from where I planted one, another plant appeared...but the others, so far are not so invasive...
AlohaHoya
Keaau, HI
(Zone 11)

July 11, 2006
2:23 AM

Post #2491509

I had the Clerodendrun trichotemum (sp?) in Seattle and while it was the envy of the neighbourhood...it started out being very invasive. Constant pulling up of tiny trees slowed it down.

The C. indica and the C. quadrioculare here are rampantly invasive...but they are so lovely...and the dirt is so thin on the lava...doesn't take much to pull them up!!!

Heck...brugmansias could be considered invasive!!! except you DO have to cut the branch off to lay it on the ground...it roots and never misses a beat!!!!
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 11, 2006
1:58 PM

Post #2492705

I wish my C quadrioculare was invasive, although I have noticed some rampant growth here. I saw my friends in full bloom when I was in Kauai in March..wow..wow...it was spectacular, and about 8 feet tall.

Ha--- that's the truth about brugmansias. As I have just whacked down my brug forrest, they were all too close together, and not picking up after myself like a good gardner- they are growing everywhere. The ones I have picked up and neatly placed in the mulch bin, are growing..There is a whole tree that grew in the mulch bin. I don't mind though, I keep giving them away to novice gardneres who think they are the ticket. Right now, they have slid on my list as a pestilence attractant. Next year I thin I will be doing some preventive therapy, although here, it's difficult to avoid all the pests.
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 11, 2006
3:33 PM

Post #2493028

the one in the ground is blooming again. It also grew about 1 foot, the other section over the last tropical rainy week.

dmj1218
west Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 11, 2006
3:36 PM

Post #2493036

great pic RJ--I just thought the flower on this would be bigger...you really have to point it out to people.
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 11, 2006
4:22 PM

Post #2493219

Yes, they are alot smaller. I mean as big as the ugandense gets, the flowers don't get bigger. Although the stocks on the ugandense after the rain, are about a foot long, instead of the little clusters that it usually does.
I was just telling someone that buying plants after seeing picture is deceiving just because of that very reason.
ErickMN
St. Paul, MN
(Zone 4b)

July 11, 2006
4:51 PM

Post #2493338

That is still a very cool plant. It's definitely on my "must have" list.

Erick
AlohaHoya
Keaau, HI
(Zone 11)

July 11, 2006
4:57 PM

Post #2493361

Did I mention that at the Onomea Botanical Gardens it was pointed out to me as one of the Director's favorite plants in his garden? I am getting a serious crush on this one!!!

Carol
dmj1218
west Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 11, 2006
5:01 PM

Post #2493379

It is a very different plant--but one is enough. I hear there is a small, new pink bungii cultivar, one that's real pretty--probably not suited for hot climates but here it is:
http://www.icangarden.com/neweden/pinkdiamond.htm

It could happily live in a pot for me.
Debbie

This message was edited Jul 11, 2006 12:04 PM
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 11, 2006
5:51 PM

Post #2493558

You know...I never knew what they looked like opened until one evening I went out and saw them opened...I like them even better opened...so cool looking.
bugme
Barnesville, GA
(Zone 7b)

July 11, 2006
5:57 PM

Post #2493580

Yes, they are just as pretty once opened...here is a pic of mine

Thumbnail by bugme

aprilwillis
Missouri City, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 11, 2006
6:29 PM

Post #2493680

That new pink looks like a winner to me. Wonder if it is suited to our miserable weather.
dmj1218
west Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 11, 2006
7:34 PM

Post #2493880

maybe--its a bungii--course that might mean you want to hang yourself from a bungeii cord after trying to make it happy.
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 11, 2006
9:32 PM

Post #2494321

good pic...looks like you have a few blooms on there...have you seen it go to seed yet?
My ugandense is growing some berries after the blooms.
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 11, 2006
9:36 PM

Post #2494332

Okay Debbie,
those exactly the kind of sites I don't need to see...(great site :)

I tend to buy..
I've grounded myself on plant buying after Jerrys...I spent 99.00 more than I should have.
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 11, 2006
9:39 PM

Post #2494342

I have a bungei that is pink, the leaves don't have the varigation though. It is spreading all over the place. And to think I snatched a small bit out an alley whilst walking the dog last summer. I'm still waiting for it to bloom.
dmj1218
west Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 11, 2006
9:46 PM

Post #2494365

I would definitely put it in a pot--all clerodendrums are 'pot bound' with me until a proclamation by the governer is issued that they are not invasive. lol

I thought that was a 'wholesale' site only--but the way I look at it I barely buy any plants except Christmas cactus between Nov and March so I can splurge the other nine months, right? I will usually stop buying stuff when they threaten to turn off the utilities...lol
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 11, 2006
10:29 PM

Post #2494525

LOL...yeah...that's where I'm at- My name is actually on the overtime list- a rare appearance indeed.
Not to mention, I have an entire section of growing interesting things from seeds. Right now my Papayas and orchid trees are popping up. I will email you a picture of my first bloom of the solanum wendelli...I think that is the name,
dmj1218
west Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 11, 2006
10:51 PM

Post #2494605

Now the solanum's another interesting group of plants--I have a seaforthiana for you from seed.
AlohaHoya
Keaau, HI
(Zone 11)

July 24, 2006
4:43 PM

Post #2541972

I just couldn't resist...my 'Musical Notes' is playing a symphony!!!

Thumbnail by AlohaHoya

rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 24, 2006
5:57 PM

Post #2542258

I'm so glad you photographed some of them open...I think they are equally as pretty as the "note" portion.
AlohaHoya
Keaau, HI
(Zone 11)

July 24, 2006
5:59 PM

Post #2542264

Thanks...I think it is a lovely plant and can't wait for a full BLUSH!
Moodene
(Nadine) Devers, TX
(Zone 9b)

July 24, 2006
7:04 PM

Post #2542465

Just to let some people on here know where ya can get one.. My Paradise nursery in Dayton got some of these in... Here is the info about My Paradise nursery...I was asked about where I get some of my plants from...
http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/621399/
dmj1218
west Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 24, 2006
10:23 PM

Post #2543375

Great pic Aloha! Mine's blooming right now--but I haven't got that great a camera--but, its a work camera so I can use it for free. You need to get that one in PlantFiles!

Has anyone got this in the ground? I'm still wondering about the invasiveness (can't trust all clero's--lol) and worried about the frost hardiness of the plant. I can wrap it in frost row cover but that can be tedious and get old when North winds blow at 30 mph and of, course its always raining too. Also usually have just put in a 12 hr day and its dark on top of it all. It's easier to take 'heroic' efforts in a pot.

Thumbnail by dmj1218

AlohaHoya
Keaau, HI
(Zone 11)

July 25, 2006
2:16 AM

Post #2544518

Hey...that is a GOOD shot!

I was told by the Onomea Botanical Gardens folks that it is NOT invasive. HMMMM and can it still be a Clerodendron? Time will tell. I planted 3 2' plants in a prominent place on the new road...so if they want to spread all the better!!!!

Took a bunch of cuttings and they are thriving in a large ziplock bag in the pot. I want to plant them all over!!!

Carol

This message was edited Jul 24, 2006 4:16 PM
Moodene
(Nadine) Devers, TX
(Zone 9b)

July 25, 2006
12:09 PM

Post #2545670

MMM...did I do that??? Start this crazy craze about the Muscial Note Clerodendrum???? mmm I just inquired another one..called Clerodendrum wallichi...Beautiful!!! Can't wait for mine to grow up and bloom for me...found it at Paradise nursery in Dayton...
http://www.rareflora.com/clerodendrumwa.htm
Desertdenial5
Tolleson, AZ
(Zone 9a)

July 25, 2006
2:31 PM

Post #2546032

Moodene I think you have started something...
AlohaHoya
Keaau, HI
(Zone 11)

July 25, 2006
5:52 PM

Post #2546754

For me...C. wallichii is VERY invasive. They grew through 10 gal. pots INTO the ground and started spreading... They are beautiful tho and I love the contrast with the dark green shiney foliage and the white cascading flowers.

rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 26, 2006
2:10 AM

Post #2548523

I have walichi too- it is a winter bloomer isn't it? I have mine in a pot, and it is growing vigorously.
I also added Clerodendrum calamitosum to my collection this weekend.
AlohaHoya
Keaau, HI
(Zone 11)

July 26, 2006
6:52 AM

Post #2549414

OOOOOOOOOooooo C. calamitosum? Photo? Have never seen that one. OOOOOdo share.

Over here C. wallichii blooms all year round..but yes...more in cool temps.

Carol
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 26, 2006
3:13 PM

Post #2550210

Okay- I will take a pict-
We have a tropical system in today-- second day of steady rain. Should clear tommorow.
Rj
AlohaHoya
Keaau, HI
(Zone 11)

July 26, 2006
4:46 PM

Post #2550565

Rj...we were having a hurricane tomorrow, but they cancelled it!!! I ran out yesterday and fertilized everything heavily to take advantage of the rain...and now? We may get some rain from it...let's hope!
Carol
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 26, 2006
5:39 PM

Post #2551132

Really? I work for CO, I must have been snoozin to miss that one! Can't see the forrest for the trees type of thing.
AlohaHoya
Keaau, HI
(Zone 11)

July 27, 2006
5:11 PM

Post #2555112

rj...missed that. Who/what is CO?

I think we have the aftermath of Daniel...nice steady drizzle. The H. coronarium is starting to bloom everywhere...smells terrific. Here that ginger is very invasive who we throw it back to the bush and it thrives but it is hard to keep out of the plantings. Control is a sometimes thing...

Carol
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 27, 2006
8:47 PM

Post #2555912

oh sorry Carol...Continental- I work at Headquarters so am paying attention to weather all over.
AlohaHoya
Keaau, HI
(Zone 11)

July 28, 2006
5:25 PM

Post #2559398

Habits die hard! We sailed for 6 years in the S.Pacific (Alaska/South America) so weather watching is an old habit...I know what you mean. Glad I fertilized the other day...we are getting the tail end of Daniel and will get a good dousing today...maybe 5-8 inches!!!

Carol
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

July 28, 2006
7:17 PM

Post #2559763

Sounds like us a couple days ago- it was a heavy steady downpour thru the night and all thru the morning. I didn't even get out today- back to hot and humid.
AlohaHoya
Keaau, HI
(Zone 11)

July 29, 2006
5:12 AM

Post #2561966

YUP...humid...but we got rain and enough to keep us going for another 3-4 days. Ain't life tough?
dmj1218
west Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 2, 2006
11:30 PM

Post #2580318

OK folks--
in the learning curve of this plant, I now have seed pods COVERING this plant...perhaps we've discovered how this particular clero becomes invasive? LOL

Should I leave them or cut them off in hopes of another flowering rush?

decisions, decisions...
DJ
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 2, 2006
11:51 PM

Post #2580395

nooooooooo...leave them...I would like to see some. Now I need to go check mine. I put my second plant in near full sun. I also propagated a cutting, and I would have to say it was pretty easy- although it was just one small one. Didn't want to chop my plant all up.
Rj
dmj1218
west Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 3, 2006
12:08 AM

Post #2580449

Don't you just love how easy clero's are? I will leave them just to see what we shall see. It took 2 weeks to get all the spent blooms off the patio anyway; if I get seeds, I shall surely give you some--but I suspect you shall have a plethera of them too.

Something at night must have been very busy--sure hope it wasn't that oppossum...
DJ
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 3, 2006
12:18 AM

Post #2580476

Okay thanks.
Yeah my resident youngster possum and I occasionaly startle each other into a moment of frozen stares before we both head in opposite directions.
So I take it, the full sun was a rousing success for the notes!?
dmj1218
west Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 3, 2006
12:33 AM

Post #2580528

It's not been a problem so far--but its out back. As fall moves forward it gets shadier and shadier out there until half my yard is constant shade. The part remaining in the sun is far from water source...so we shall see how it adapts. It's already getting more shade than it did--but still mostly in full sun. My back yard faces north. Front faces south but 2 large oaks keep it pretty shady. It's still in a very big pot--I'm bringing it in on freezing nights until more info on hardiness is known.
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 3, 2006
1:25 AM

Post #2580675

mm...come to think of it I should propagate some more and and winter it in the Green House.. Speaking of which, I am going to have start getting it ready - it's a cluttered mess right now
dmj1218
west Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 3, 2006
1:48 AM

Post #2580760

Did you just rooting hormone and soil? It worked for me but its not growing...just thinking about it I guess.
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 3, 2006
2:26 AM

Post #2580890

I used a high density mixture of lava sand, composted cow manure, compost peat and composted cotton seed mulch, dash of sphangum moss, dash of alfalfa pellets containing fish emulsion, molasses. topped off with a dash of bat guanno.

take sip of chardonnay -LOL

mixture is moistened with H202, and Vitiamin B, and Maxi Crop seaweed mixed in a gallon jug.

it sounds like alot more fussin than it really is.

dmj1218
west Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 3, 2006
3:22 AM

Post #2581096

lava sand...where is that obtained? The rest sounds alot like germinating mix and high quality potting soil already mixed; then mixed together. ;)

vitamin B is not superthrive? That kills everything in my opinion. seaweed I use...yours sounds pretty close to what I use.

bat guano solves all problems...
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 3, 2006
5:11 AM

Post #2581549

Yeah, I don't often use superthrive because of it's potency- I have taken alot of vitamin b before and recognize the smell in superthrive- I buy just vitamin B in a bottle now because it's alot less intense.
I agree with the seaweed- for some reason our plants in this area do not need this- the few times I do use it is in propagation, and seeds- for which it does work rather well.
Yes I love bat guano, or rather the plants do. I get all of my stuff and Southwest Fertilzer including the lava sand. I have been experimenting alot with it- It facilitates a greater exchange of nutrients to the plants roots. Just ask miss Carol alohahoya- she lives in volcano ville! -
Southwest fertilzer has a website for some of their products www.yardgeek.com

I have been keeping a journal on my theories of lava and it's uses so far - if your interested - here is the link.
http://davesgarden.com/journal/ed/index.php?tabid=1720

rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 3, 2006
5:36 AM

Post #2581622

Oh here is a pict of the Clerodendrum calamitosum leaves- I know nothing yet on this one.
http://davesgarden.com/journal/ed/viewimage.php?did=17689
AlohaHoya
Keaau, HI
(Zone 11)

August 3, 2006
6:11 AM

Post #2581670

rj

I use a lot of lava cinder in my mix (and our whole substrate is solid lava!!!) and I find it is really acid...and in my GH mix I have to add a lot of Crushed Coral. Is that your experience.

I have some C. indica I can send you...mucho much invasive but BEAUTIFUL!!!. Keep it in a pot!

Sending you an email about a 'trade"...?
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 3, 2006
12:37 PM

Post #2581996

I don't use it in the GH- I have a theory that when the temperature drops below a sustained 70F, that I stop using the lava- because it keeps the water trapped too long- so The plants that go in the GH, containing lava soil- don't even get watered during the winter- especially the papayas for next year. I haven't tried crushed coral- is that the name it goes by? I RS to your dmail.
AlohaHoya
Keaau, HI
(Zone 11)

August 3, 2006
6:04 PM

Post #2583017

Crushed Coral = calcium carbonate.

So...tell me...the lava soil - is it soil, like sand, pebbles?

Carol
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 3, 2006
6:50 PM

Post #2583201

No- it is finely crushed into sand red lava- it is pretty dense. I'll photograph some.
dmj1218
west Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 4, 2006
12:25 AM

Post #2584347

seed pods on plant

Thumbnail by dmj1218

rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 4, 2006
1:40 AM

Post #2584582

wow...cool -I"m going to go check mine right now
AlohaHoya
Keaau, HI
(Zone 11)

August 4, 2006
5:22 AM

Post #2585260

rj - ah...

We don't use red cinder here AT ALL! No scare tactics intended...red cinder is really high in iron...so high that for planting we scour the cinder sellers to get the black cinder with the least amount of red cinder in the mix. It is getting hard to find the pure black anymore...we have a pile left over and it is only for my green house and not for the acreage. I know a grower who uses red cinder and swears it works...but most of the stuff I have bought from him has died or takes 1 to 2 years to recover.

Pumice would be a good alternative...

Hope this helps...

Carol (sitting on a mountain made of cinder)
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 4, 2006
3:12 PM

Post #2586162

To be honest, I'm not sure what it's from- But it is the amount that you use that is the key! I only use 1 to 2 hand fulls per entire wheel barrow of mixed medium- so again it is the amount and like anything in the plant world, the saying I have is: A little is alot!
Rj
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 4, 2006
3:19 PM

Post #2586192

Here is a picture of the sand- and ironically my first Hawaiin Hibiscus I brought back from march as a little itty bitty stick cutting, bloomed the first bloom today- and it has the lava sand in it. The directions say 40 lbs per 1000 square feet.

This message was edited Aug 4, 2006 10:20 AM

rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 4, 2006
3:20 PM

Post #2586195

Hibiscus-- purdy

Moodene
(Nadine) Devers, TX
(Zone 9b)

August 4, 2006
6:07 PM

Post #2586730

Man..this page is getting so long...but has lotsa info...lol...
AlohaHoya
Keaau, HI
(Zone 11)

August 4, 2006
7:01 PM

Post #2586880

Well...it must be the magic touch for you... keep it up!!!

dmj1218
west Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 10, 2006
1:03 AM

Post #2605319

Yet another update on this plant...I've only had this plant since June 15th. It has quadrupled in size--in a pot no less. I've just given up on fertilizing it..clearly its like ugandense and your just wasting money fertilizing it--it don't need it. This is the 3rd round of flowering. Sorry about the background, I just worked 12 hours and did not feel for "posing" the plant in pretty backgrounds.

Thumbnail by dmj1218

dmj1218
west Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 10, 2006
1:09 AM

Post #2605344

And now its got blooms and developing seed pods (from the last round of bloom) simultaneously...
clearly this plant's daddy had to be a clerodendrum. ;)
Debbie
shakin' her head and rolling her eyes--lol

Thumbnail by dmj1218

rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 10, 2006
8:57 PM

Post #2608142

I noticed mine was on another round too, but not nearly as thick and as many as yours. It is getting tall though
dmj1218
west Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 10, 2006
11:11 PM

Post #2608563

it's daddy was definitely a clerodendrum, huh? lol
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 10, 2006
11:53 PM

Post #2608715

yeah, they definately grow fast.
Moodene
(Nadine) Devers, TX
(Zone 9b)

August 11, 2006
1:25 AM

Post #2609041

482 views..man this post is long...mmm..my clero wallichii is growing like weeds since it has been raining like nuts...Clero muscial notes is gonna put another show of flowers for me..Clero Boreno Sunset is just getting more and more bronze color...it likes the sun...
dmj1218
west Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 11, 2006
1:54 AM

Post #2609147

lots of lurkers--lol
AlohaHoya
Keaau, HI
(Zone 11)

August 11, 2006
5:17 PM

Post #2611343

OOOoooooo C. borneo sunset...? Picture???????
Desertdenial5
Tolleson, AZ
(Zone 9a)

August 11, 2006
6:27 PM

Post #2611555

Yes please post a picture of C. borneo sunset
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 11, 2006
8:19 PM

Post #2611893

Yes my walichi is growing like a weed, just re-potted it.. has beautiful leaves.
The calamitosum was planted in the ground and is really starting to show growth.
The heterophyllum, trichotomum and sahelangii are also showing improved activity having been put in the ground- and after pulliing the paniculatum out of the ground and into a pot, thinking for sure it was a gonner- is showing signs of life yet.

fyi- I found the incisum fairly easy to propagate.
AlohaHoya
Keaau, HI
(Zone 11)

August 11, 2006
10:58 PM

Post #2612402

Yes...I made cuttings of the incisum and put them in a ziplock 'greenhouse'. only a 5% loss! Here is mine thismorning...after a rainy night...so it is a big saggy. I really love this clero.

Carol

Thumbnail by AlohaHoya

rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 11, 2006
11:14 PM

Post #2612454

very nice, I haven't met a clero I haven't liked yet!
dmj1218
west Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 11, 2006
11:57 PM

Post #2612564

And they are all easy to propagate--not that you need to that much--they grow so well and fast!
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 12, 2006
12:02 AM

Post #2612580

Yes - I have been experimenting with the Ugandense- I have propagated green branches around one and half feet long...They do pretty good in the summer weather. I have a more difficult time in the winter, unless I bring cuttings into the house.
dmj1218
west Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 12, 2006
12:09 AM

Post #2612601

The best time on the clero u is early spring when they are growing leaves not trying to flower---which is constantly after May for me--at least that's my experience with them. All the clero's are really easy, just some times of year are easier than others. =)
Moodene
(Nadine) Devers, TX
(Zone 9b)

August 12, 2006
2:45 AM

Post #2613107

http://davesgarden.com/forums/fp.php?pid=2400183

Pic of it ...
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 12, 2006
3:45 AM

Post #2613442

Yes miss Nadine, do you not see the clero fans watching intently, waiting for it to grow larger, so that it might propagate and fill the land?
My experience with the ugandense is during the humid season, having said that- in spring I was using old wood, not new- since there was no new and that makes a big difference at least on the ugandense. Much easier to propagate off of green.
dmj1218
west Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 12, 2006
3:55 AM

Post #2613475

what kind of bloom (color) does the bronze have? It's very pretty.

Randy--my clero u freezes to ground every spring which means it only has green growth--just my luck, I guess.

We are kinda like Pavlov's dogs when it comes to clero's huh? Just ring the 'clerodendrum' bell and we salivate...
Deb
Moodene
(Nadine) Devers, TX
(Zone 9b)

August 12, 2006
12:06 PM

Post #2614080

This one hasn't bloomed for me yet..I'll take another pic hopefully Sunday..most of my cleros do not died back down..since I microwinter them..
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 15, 2006
8:19 AM

Post #2623845

Here's my notes trying to show off in the pond area.

flowerjunkie
Hot Springs, AR
(Zone 7b)

August 17, 2006
4:48 PM

Post #2631880

My Clerodendrum incisum grows in full shade in my zone. Last year its blooms were overwhelming. They are about to bloom for me now. Total neglect and it is extremely prolific. I am constantly pulling up new plants. I repot those and have a sale in October to help pay for the water bill! I water once or twice a week. If it rains I don't have to worry about watering. I fertilized ONCE in the spring then let nature do the rest. I find all cleredendrums are easy to grow here under those same condition. Don't be afraid to grow them in your zone. Start out with two plants, put one in the ground in spring, keep one in a pot as back up. After winter has done its deed you will know if you can grow it in the ground in your zone.

Daisy

PerennialGirl
Winnipeg, MB
(Zone 4a)

August 17, 2006
5:24 PM

Post #2632011

Such a cool flower! Luv it! Now I'm going to hve to find some seeds.
:) Donna
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 17, 2006
8:36 PM

Post #2632554

That about describes mine..in the shade letting it do it's own thing!
AuntB
NE, KS
(Zone 5b)

August 17, 2006
8:40 PM

Post #2632560

Very Cool. I want one, too, Donna! I was ready to pay 12.99, they were out of stock...
dmj1218
west Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 17, 2006
10:32 PM

Post #2632867

Pulling up new plants on clero incisum? Or are they reseeding? If they are running it stays in the pot. I'm on my third bloom cycle since June.
bugme
Barnesville, GA
(Zone 7b)

August 17, 2006
11:06 PM

Post #2632982

Are ya'll telling me this beauty is a THUG? Mine is showing the 3rd set of blooms since I bought it...

Thumbnail by bugme

dmj1218
west Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 18, 2006
2:32 AM

Post #2633701

Bugme--
We've been saying we don't know on this clero cultivar...but flowerjunkie is saying it does. Mine's staying in a pot until I know for sure. I don't need a clero "cashmere bouquet" disaster in my garden...I like the plant but not that well. Mine also has third set of blooms since June and covered with seed pods at the same time.
PerennialGirl
Winnipeg, MB
(Zone 4a)

August 18, 2006
9:34 PM

Post #2636158

bugme, your plant looks great!
:) Donna
Moodene
(Nadine) Devers, TX
(Zone 9b)

August 19, 2006
2:30 AM

Post #2637067

633 views..WOW...Well my cleros are all in the ground...except walichi which will be planted this weekend... Borneo Sunset too will be planted in the ground this weekend...so will see how much of a THUGS they will be for me..lol..
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 20, 2006
1:55 AM

Post #2639845

I had to pull my sunset out of the ground. It was dying fast, and I thought it was a goner- I put it in a pot and it is coming back with vigor! The walichi is a winter bloomer isn't it? I just upsized the pot on that, but wonder if I should plant that in the ground.
It's funny how all of our incisums bloomed 3 times all nearly the same time wherever we are at!
dmj1218
west Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 20, 2006
1:30 PM

Post #2640868

Which indicates to me, anyway, that it needs to be watched for invasiveness. I like the plant OK, but not near enough to risk a big garden problem down the line. It can remain in its pot where it is doing just fine.
Moodene
(Nadine) Devers, TX
(Zone 9b)

August 20, 2006
1:51 PM

Post #2640975

LOL..I know what ya mean..but any plant here can grow and fill up my 5 acre yard..won't bother me a bit not to mow...lol...by the way, my musical note clero just can't seem to know when to stop blooming..Paradise Plants nursery in Dayton,Tx has a row of them all blooming at once..wonderful site of white flowers!!! Her Clero wachili are growing like nuts but still no blooms yet..will be waiting with my camera to take pics for those if she don't sell them all out by then..lol...
AlohaHoya
Keaau, HI
(Zone 11)

August 21, 2006
10:01 PM

Post #2645462

I haven't found C. incisa to be a thug...but the C. wallichii sure is!!! Here it blooms on and off all year. But then again...around here Coffee pulp thrown out as mulch will sprout if there are any beans at all in it...avocado seeds hidden by the dogs sprout all over the place and anything I throw in the woods keeps growing...
rjuddharrison
Houston, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 22, 2006
1:44 AM

Post #2646147

Oh you too huh...hahahahahaha
Moodene
(Nadine) Devers, TX
(Zone 9b)

August 22, 2006
11:33 PM

Post #2649229

700 views??? mmm...lol..

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Tropical Plants Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Justicia spicigera Peter63 2 Oct 24, 2008 9:31 PM
caladium "Gingerland" Eclipse 43 Aug 21, 2012 7:10 PM
Malanga(Yautia) rootdoctor 22 Sep 18, 2010 8:01 AM
Castor Bean contest? rootdoctor 411 Jul 16, 2008 6:48 PM
Musa AE AE fivelabs 228 Jun 12, 2013 12:39 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America